• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't win Falcon vs Charizard

DarkJosh

Smash Cadet
I simply don't know how to win this. He's too fast and grabs me non-stop.
Any tips on how to beat him?

EDIT: I'm the chairzard. I can't beat Falcon

Last edited:

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I actually haven't had much trouble with Charizards. Jabs stop a lot of his options just like most other characters. Our grab game is more efficient and should be abused against him. Also, he's a large target to land knee combos on - even with proper DI. Once he reaches 50-60%, Dthrow>Knee or Dthrow>Uair>Knee should always work if you buffered it correctly. If you throw him before kill percentage, Dthrow > SHFFL Uair (or basic uair pressure if the percentage is high enough) is pretty decent.

EDIT: Another thing that I do in the matchup is dash forward > short hop an empty jump backwards slightly > hold back forward while fastfalling > buffer dash grab. The problem with Charizard is that it's difficult to pressure him with Bair and Nair while he's grounded. Unlike most other characters, he can shield grab us even if we space the aerials. You have to get creative with the pressure.

Last edited:

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
In this matchup, one should approach with a dash grab more often than with a dash attack or any other form of approach, since a good Charizard is going to love abusing shieldgrabs in this matchup. Watch out for Flamethrower or his jab when approaching though, but do note that Falcon Kick goes through Flamethrower.

When Charizard edgeguards you with Flamethrower, mash Up B as rapidly as you can to recover to the stage, as otherwise, especially with lag, Captain Falcon seems to easily find himself gimped by this move.

DarkJosh

Smash Cadet
I actually haven't had much trouble with Charizards. Jabs stop a lot of his options just like most other characters. Our grab game is more efficient and should be abused against him. Also, he's a large target to land knee combos on - even with proper DI. Once he reaches 50-60%, Dthrow>Knee or Dthrow>Uair>Knee should always work if you buffered it correctly. If you throw him before kill percentage, Dthrow > SHFFL Uair (or basic uair pressure if the percentage is high enough) is pretty decent.

EDIT: Another thing that I do in the matchup is dash forward > short hop an empty jump backwards slightly > hold back forward while fastfalling > buffer dash grab. The problem with Charizard is that it's difficult to pressure him with Bair and Nair while he's grounded. Unlike most other characters, he can shield grab us even if we space the aerials. You have to get creative with the pressure.
In this matchup, one should approach with a dash grab more often than with a dash attack or any other form of approach, since a good Charizard is going to love abusing shieldgrabs in this matchup. Watch out for Flamethrower or his jab when approaching though, but do note that Falcon Kick goes through Flamethrower.

When Charizard edgeguards you with Flamethrower, mash Up B as rapidly as you can to recover to the stage, as otherwise, especially with lag, Captain Falcon seems to easily find himself gimped by this move.
I gues I was a bit unclear
I mean I'M the Chairzard :p

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I guess we should wait for @ Knee Smasher Knee Smasher since he mains both characters, heh.

But can you be a bit clearer about what happens when you go against a good Falcon?

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
I gues I was a bit unclear
I mean I'M the Chairzard :p
Approach him with a short-hopped Flamethrower like you do against any other character. Thanks to Charizard's incredible grab range, no matter how he spaces, you can shieldgrab absolutely every single approach option of Captain Falcon's with the exception of the dash grab, which can be easily beaten by Flamethrower or jab. If he is dashing towards you and you are unsure of whether he will do a dash grab to beat your shieldgrab or a short-hop aerial to go over your Flamethrower, a short-hopped Nair beats both of his approach options. When he is in the air and falling towards you, he is obviously going to go for an aerial attack, so shieldgrab him. Once you are at high %, he will go for Raptor Boost a lot, so play more defensively at that time, and read and shieldgrab those.

Once Captain Falcon has been shieldgrabbed, throw him off-stage and then edgeguard him. Fair, Dair spike, and at higher %, if Captain Falcon is far away from the stage, even Nair (which is much easier to land than both Fair and Dair) can gimp his very predictable recovery, but if you are not confident at landing those aerial attacks, you can get some free and safe damage on him with Flamethrower edgeguard (which can even kill Captain Falcon if he messes up his recovery, which is more likely with lag). Also, once he grabs the ledge, cover the ledge with Flamethrower a lot. That is a great way to rack up damage on him.

When you are in the air and he chases you with aerial attacks, eat through those aerial attacks and strike him hard with Rock Smash's super armor. Remember NEVER try to challenge his Uair with any aerial attack if you're above him though.

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
It's worth mentioning Charizard's up smash destroys Falcon's landing options. What's he got like, air dodge or fastfall d-air? You can put him in the air and threaten u-air's/ up smash and take some damage after your inevitable shield grab.

Top Bottom