• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
Dialogue aside I feel like the biggest point against Wolf is that Fox has what I think is three of his specials now, and even has an alternate skin that makes him look like some Deviantart monstrosity Wolf ( This point can be made against Lucas as well.) But that doesn't mean that Wolf can't be put in and have Foxes attacks for his customs, that'd be neat. Heck he's already got a brown wolf color, just make that one look a little bit more like Fox and they could be twinsies.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Dialogue aside I feel like the biggest point against Wolf is that Fox has what I think is three of his specials now, and even has an alternate skin that makes him look like some Deviantart monstrosity Wolf ( This point can be made against Lucas as well.) But that doesn't mean that Wolf can't be put in and have Foxes attacks for his customs, that'd be neat. Heck he's already got a brown wolf color, just make that one look a little bit more like Fox and they could be twinsies.
You mean that one or two moves that you can't even use online? that's entirely different from taking all that makes him unique, Wolf had different standard attacks, also they could give him his dual pistols from Assault to differentiate him further, maybe even the rocket launcher as well, styling it after Snakes even, or the plasma cannon as a special

Star Fox has a new game coming next year, and the chance for cross promotion is huge, and Wolf is a fan and Sakurai favorite. Fact is him being removed is a great boom for him because DLC vets don't have to follow the same rules as normal vets. They can be retooled to an extent to be made more unique. I mean, wouldn't Wolf with dual pistols, and the plasma cannon from Assault be sick?

KVLTofMetal

Smash Lord
NNID
KVLTLancelot
You mean that one or two moves that you can't even use online? that's entirely different from taking all that makes him unique, Wolf had different standard attacks, also they could give him his dual pistols from Assault to differentiate him further, maybe even the rocket launcher as well, styling it after Snakes even, or the plasma cannon as a special

Star Fox has a new game coming next year, and the chance for cross promotion is huge, and Wolf is a fan and Sakurai favorite. Fact is him being removed is a great boom for him because DLC vets don't have to follow the same rules as normal vets. They can be retooled to an extent to be made more unique. I mean, wouldn't Wolf with dual pistols, and the plasma cannon from Assault be sick?
To be fair it's only 2 of his specials. The Larger reflector and Side B
The gun is still unique. Because of the bayonet
ANd I honestly would be ok to have his show up exactly the same. I don't hope for retooling of characters because Ganondorf

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon

That would be sick, and don't worry I honestly believe from the bottom of my heart that he is COMPLETELY different from Fox, but cmon, his custom Side-B is just straight up called Wolf Flash.

Who know's you may be right, and I REALLY want you to be right, Wolf is the only reason I sometimes play Brawl, but if he's gonna be back I feel like he's gonna need quite a few changes to his specials.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think it's a non issue. Luigi has a custom that gives him Mario's fireball. Dark Pit and Lucina's customs are exactly the same as Pit's and Marth's. If they want, they can add Wolf even with Fox having his special move.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If anything, Wolf Flash means Wolf was considered sometime during development. It wouldn't be anything extraordinary if that move is a remnant of development spent on Wolf.

My theory was that time constraints happened, Wolf was scrapped, but they used the data for one of his special moves for Fox's custom moves.

Same goes to Lucas and his special moves being available for Ness.

This is why I think Wolf and Lucas are likely candidates for DLC. They have the most star power of the non-returning characters, alongside Mewtwo (who's coming back as DLC).

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
So, how many DLCs (newcomers and vets) do you think we'll have? After doing some thinking and things I found out if you wanted to make the entire top screen of the DS full of characters that would be...about 5 spots left (post mewtwo of course)

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
If anything, Wolf Flash means Wolf was considered sometime during development. It wouldn't be anything extraordinary if that move is a remnant of development spent on Wolf.

My theory was that time constraints happened, Wolf was scrapped, but they used the data for one of his special moves for Fox's custom moves.

Same goes to Lucas and his special moves being available for Ness.

This is why I think Wolf and Lucas are likely candidates for DLC. They have the most star power of the non-returning characters, alongside Mewtwo (who's coming back as DLC).
See this theory makes me smile uncontrollably :), Why?
Well at one point I remember hearing that characters where left out due simply to not enough development time.
There was also something to do with the fact characters with top priority would get in such as :4darkpit::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4bowserjr::rosalina:
Now this also explains the single characters too :4shulk::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4rob::4falcon::4villager::4wiifit::4olimar: Because they are here to represent there entire series and without them they would have nothing "hint" "hint" Sakurai:popo:
So maybe Wolf and Lucas where left out (just now) simply due to the fact, Sakuai did want to delay the games considering the hype built up for it's 2014 release and the fact that the Wii U was kinda dying (until Smash pre-oders that is and Mario kart 8 of course)
So with this Lucas and Wolf probably have their models and original move-sets sitting somewhere in that office which makes me believe they are next, maybe bringing along Pichu (because why not just go all out with that clone row :4drmario::pichumelee::4lucina::4darkpit:)
Plus I think the reason Mewtwo came first is one the fact he has been missing since Melee and he was being built from the ground up unlike Wolf and Lucas who can be ported for the most part.
I reckon next year we will see the return of :popo::pichumelee::lucas::wolf: <---Just to clarify in order of Smash Debut not most likely

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
See this theory makes me smile uncontrollably :), Why?
Well at one point I remember hearing that characters where left out due simply to not enough development time.
There was also something to do with the fact characters with top priority would get in such as :4darkpit::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4bowserjr::rosalina:
Now this also explains the single characters too :4shulk::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4rob::4falcon::4villager::4wiifit::4olimar: Because they are here to represent there entire series and without them they would have nothing "hint" "hint" Sakurai:popo:
So maybe Wolf and Lucas where left out (just now) simply due to the fact, Sakuai did want to delay the games considering the hype built up for it's 2014 release and the fact that the Wii U was kinda dying (until Smash pre-oders that is and Mario kart 8 of course)
So with this Lucas and Wolf probably have their models and original move-sets sitting somewhere in that office which makes me believe they are next, maybe bringing along Pichu (because why not just go all out with that clone row :4drmario::pichumelee::4lucina::4darkpit:)
Plus I think the reason Mewtwo came first is one the fact he has been missing since Melee and he was being built from the ground up unlike Wolf and Lucas who can be ported for the most part.
I reckon next year we will see the return of :popo::pichumelee::lucas::wolf: <---Just to clarify in order of Smash Debut not most likely
Sakurai has stated on Famitsu that he was aware that people missed certain characters. He's not unaware of the fans' reactions, contrary to what many people believe.

Also, remember that he considered Wolf and Lucas for Melee. Wolf was dismissed as being too similar to Fox at the time (remember that Wolf had only one game and wasn't very fleshed out) and Lucas ended up not replacing Ness because Mother 3 was cancelled back then. They both eventually made their way to Brawl. Obviously, Sakurai considers them important for Smash. A similar story happened with Miis and the Villager and look who made into this game...

Plus, Sakurai dislikes cutting characters, stating that every character has fans. In addition to that, he stated at E3 2013 that he wouldn't outright cut characters out of the way, but there was a possibility that everyone wouldn't return due to time constraints. In other words, the sole reasons for cut characters are factors outside of his own decisions, especially tight schedules.

Given the Wii U's current situation, I highly doubt Sakurai would have been able to delay the game. This gives less time to include everything in the same package but since DLC is possible, scrapping content isn't so much of a big deal as more content can be added later on.

I believe Wolf and Lucas are the first in line for DLC. I'm being skeptical to a degree and not take them as granted, but I'm hopeful for their return. They have a lot going for them and their return would satisfy a lot of fans.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Sakurai has stated on Famitsu that he was aware that people missed certain characters. He's not unaware of the fans' reactions, contrary to what many people believe.

Also, remember that he considered Wolf and Lucas for Melee. Wolf was dismissed as being too similar to Fox at the time (remember that Wolf had only one game and wasn't very fleshed out) and Lucas ended up not replacing Ness because Mother 3 was cancelled back then. They both eventually made their way to Brawl. Obviously, Sakurai considers them important for Smash. A similar story happened with Miis and the Villager and look who made into this game...

Plus, Sakurai dislikes cutting characters, stating that every character has fans. In addition to that, he stated at E3 2013 that he wouldn't outright cut characters out of the way, but there was a possibility that everyone wouldn't return due to time constraints. In other words, the sole reasons for cut characters are factors outside of his own decisions, especially tight schedules.

Given the Wii U's current situation, I highly doubt Sakurai would have been able to delay the game. This gives less time to include everything in the same package but since DLC is possible, scrapping content isn't so much of a big deal as more content can be added later on.

I believe Wolf and Lucas are the first in line for DLC. I'm being skeptical to a degree and not take them as granted, but I'm hopeful for their return. They have a lot going for them and their return would satisfy a lot of fans.
That's the beauty of DLC. When Sakurai first made that statement I said to myself with DLC there's no good reason to exclude a veteran. Obviously Snake and Ice Climbers are a little different,but the logic still applies. Plus DLC and smash bros go together like peanut butter and jelly.

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
I think it's a non issue. Luigi has a custom that gives him Mario's fireball. Dark Pit and Lucina's customs are exactly the same as Pit's and Marth's. If they want, they can add Wolf even with Fox having his special move.
True but you have to remember how quick and lazily Dark Pit and Lucina got slapped on to the game, they are legitimate clones in every way. And Luigi's costume isn't just straight up called Mario's fireball, its also a tad different because it drops faster and goes a little when it bounces along the floor, which if you ask me is about as different as a bayonet being on a gun or not.

Maybe Wolf could come back with a Fox flash or something idk

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I just got all of Fox's custom moves. Made a set... and it felt so much like Wolf. Dammit, now I really want him back! :urg:
Well 5 days until we can try out the codecs on Lylat Cruise, and if Sakurai knows whats good for him he'll announce Wolf as a DLC playable character before or on the day of the game's release.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Well 5 days until we can try out the codecs on Lylat Cruise, and if Sakurai knows whats good for him he'll announce Wolf as a DLC playable character before or on the day of the game's release.
Lucky shmuks...... I have to wait this retched thing that comes out on December 5th.

But please anyone here who gets the game can they give me direct info :)
Would be lovely if you did :D

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I was thinking recently when a thought struck me.

You know how Fox's CSS portrait depicts him running to the left, while Falco's is dashing towards the right? Well, if Wolf was to be included, how would his portrait look? Probably facing forwards to round off the poses and demonstrate that he is the anomaly in the Star Fox cast.

Now consider the pose of his trophy in the 3DS version of the game. Mewtwo's reveal demonstrates that trophies do not have any bearing on a character's appearances within the game and, indeed, characters that overlap with the two will probably share similar poses with their trophy counterparts.

What does all of this mean/ Probably nothing. But it's worth considering nonetheless. Wolf for DLC and whatnot.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Back to the camera, arms crossed, looking back. Obviously.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
So what does who is in the voices on Lylat mean?
Is it people thinking if Wolf is not in the dialogues he will be a later DLC character? Or is it if he is? :)

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Sorry for double posting but look what we have here.

Why if isn't Assault Fox. Tell me who has his Assult look in the Game ?
So at the very least they have to port Brawl Wolf's model over for the codecs :3
See what I am getting at here:dazwa:
Wolf is getting ported for the game, his move-set is there through Fox and he is basically the most likely next to Lucas who also got his model and moves ported :)
These two are on their way back :D:4ness:
:4fox::4falco:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
If we see Wolf in the codecs he will be DLC
Why ?
Because we have never seen a cut character in the past return in any form other that a trophy if they are not brought back as playable.
Plus in one of the codecs Slippy hints that he's playable, and Sakurai doesn't like false hype ( for the most part (Ridley was a borderline))

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Plus in one of the codecs Slippy hints that he's playable, and Sakurai doesn't like false hype ( for the most part (Ridley was a borderline))
I want to say the fans did it to themselves saying " OH RIDLEY'S PLAYABLE"
At least with Wolf he has already been considered for Melee and payable in Brawl there's no false hope.

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
"
This just remind me of how great Jay Ward voice is. (Wolf voice actor in Brawl) I really hope that he will voice Wolf in this game if he returns as DLC.

I'm really going to be mad if Jaz Adams do his voice. It just doesn't suit his Smash iteration, it will be awkward for Wolf to have a british accent with his personality, style and design in this game.

Don't fix something that isn't break.

We have seen the result with Fox and Falco, don't massacre Wolf pls.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Fox and Falco's new voices are awesome, though.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Wolf: "You know you are all like us. Our fates are intertwined. We are destined to meet in battle. After all, what fun is there to be had in peace and quiet? A real warrior can only live in the battlefield!"

Slippy: "Boy those guys are always itching to fight, huh!"

Yeah, if he's not in it's gonna be awkward

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This just remind me of how great Jay Ward voice is. (Wolf voice actor in Brawl) I really hope that he will voice Wolf in this game if he returns as DLC.

I'm really going to be mad if Jaz Adams do his voice. It just doesn't suit his Smash iteration, it will be awkward for Wolf to have a british accent with his personality, style and design in this game.

Don't fix something that isn't break.

We have seen the result with Fox and Falco, don't massacre Wolf pls.
Jay Ward voiced Wolf?!:crazy:
Didn't he also do the narration for the metroid theme? If so, no wonder they sound so much alike.:bluejump:

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I always preferred Wolf's voice from Brawl rather than his British accent one from Star Fox 64. It not only doesn't suit his Smash Bros. iteration but it doesn't quite suit who he is.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I always preferred Wolf's voice from Brawl rather than his British accent one from Star Fox 64. It not only doesn't suit his Smash Bros. iteration but it doesn't quite suit who he is.
Maybe it could be a mix of the two. Anyway does anyone have the Lylat Cruise codecs? If that one that hints at Wolf being playable is still in, then Sakurai's going to have to announce Wolf DLC.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Maybe bring in the 643D actor but change it up like they did with fox (In a good way), I'd like it if it was a bit deeper

DeiSakuChris

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it could be a mix of the two. Anyway does anyone have the Lylat Cruise codecs? If that one that hints at Wolf being playable is still in, then Sakurai's going to have to announce Wolf DLC.
I disagree, really his British accent never suited him in the first place and even least now, I just want Jay Ward back personally.

It would be awkward if the Lylat Cruise codecs are simply copy paste, but on the other hand the team could just not give a **** about it.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Attention fellow Wolf fans
The game will be releasing soon, and that means, we'll be able to gut the game of its secrets. We must search the game for signs that Wolf was considered for the game, if we find an alarming number of signs, then Wolf is even more likely than before for DLC. "Don't hesitate, when the time comes just act" :wolf:

Wolf's got a little message for you Sakurai,

"This will be you Sakurai, if I'm not DLC for this iteration of Smasdh Bros," Wolf.

"I'm coming for you Sakurai"
WOLF FOR DLC:wolf:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom