• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Thanks do you know of a tutorial video I can view, just because I have very basic photoshop knowledge.
Sure thing!
Here's one for making a gif.
Here's how to edit one.
Oh! And you'll notice the girl says use "Screen Record". You don't have to. You can download the whole video here, and then you can delete the frames of the video you don't need.

It's really simple. You just have to get used to it.

Wolfiv

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai knows Wolf takes time to develop. Wolf isn't a clone. :)

@ shane3x shane3x I'm surprised that if Wolf's in that August thing he didn't upload anything of him.
But at the same time it can be possible if we know the fact they bringing back some N64 stages.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Sakurai knows Wolf takes time to develop. Wolf isn't a clone. :)

@ shane3x shane3x I'm surprised that if Wolf's in that August thing he didn't upload anything of him.
But at the same time it can be possible if we know the fact they bringing back some N64 stages.
He's more likely to be announced in August and released in October. We have had DLC that has been announced way in advance and out of the blue released at the same time as announced hence announcement/release. You can read more detailed information by visiting the link within the sig.

Nintendo's probably not very happy everything is being leaked so there are probably being a lot more strict with how things are rolled out in terms of not releasing anything in a patch until much closer to the actual release time.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Throwing in some Miiverse posts again

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAAEAAArVRTpe9rs5Q

(*Note: brief translation, don't blame me*)
Topic: RTC of Snake, Wolf and Pichu
"Wolf 50%, others around 10%"
"Snake 80%"
"Wolf 90%, almost certain."
"What about Ice Climbers?"
"Wolf seems to have the highest chance."
"Wolf is very likely. Snake still is impossible!"
"If it's true that Snake's owner company and Nintendo is rival (still a rumor), then Snake 40% Wolf 80%"
"Wolf 98%
Due to high popularity
For Ice Climbers due to the said problem of 2 characters as one 0% but if other methods like Solo Ice Climber is used then hopefully 67%
It won't be Smash without them
Pichu 5%
It's only a miracle he's chosen as a clone
Young Link 10%
Same reason
For Snake it's undoubtable for the adult matter
Maybe miracle happens then the only reason left for why he isn't in is because of the time needed to make codec conversations"
----

"I wanna have fun with this thing!"
~Another Miiverse post

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Why you expect a Wolf leak to be the "probably fake" tho?
We have had a couple of dodgy reported wolf leaks, although I think all of them prior to Smash 4 release though haven't seen anything remotely believable since the game has been released, not on like omni level anyway.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
That's cool and all but maybe stick a "Vote for Wolf DLC" ad in the video or something. Just seems a bit like advertisement with zero consideration to the thread topic by posting it here. Yeah, we do deviate from time to time but that's usually because it was related to Wolf or the discussion at the time somehow.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Throwing another japanese miiverse post. Not exactly related to Wolf, but... meh
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAAEAAArVRTpc2ALaQ

(Calendar)
(Apparently some Tanabata or some Chinese festival I forgot about as a Chinese)

Apparently in Tanabata they will hang some strips on that plant thing to wish for something
Here's the strips written (left to right):
(Ape sounds)​
~Donkey Kong

To a world of Shulk Time[1]​
~Shulk

New game​
~Ness

Bread[2]​
~Falco

Foodstuff​
~Kirby

Repaying my debts​
~Villager​

Some more in the comments:

(でやぁ ~トゥーンリンク) (Can't translate, but another Toon Link sound imitation.)

Some in text:
Destroy Toon Link​
~Young Link
To return in Smash​
~Pichu, Wolf
To return in Smash by either being WiiU exclusive or Solo IC​
~ICies
To actually understand why I was cut in the first place​
~Wolf
To get rid of the adult issues​
~Snake
I want to return​
~Every cut vet​

Slightly off topic, but:

(Renewal never happened ~All of us) [3]

[1]: Localized for easier reference. Original was "おだやかな世界に" (A calm world), referencing his up taunt in Japanese "おだやかじゃないですね" (You aren't calm, are you?)
[2]: Localized for easier reference. Original was "そうめん" (Somen), referencing Falco's quote in "Skirmish" (艦隊戦) version of Fox's Lylat Cruise Smash Taunt "ヘッ こんな攻撃、そうめんみたいなもんだぜ" Where そうめん had 2 meaning (wound surface, or "fine white noodles"). The rest of the crew took it as the latter and thus Falco has became a meme character in Japan.
[3]: For some reason, the Miiverse renewal (redesign, removing Activity Feed and adding a few stuff where you can't comment on, also a 30post/day limit.) is extremely disliked in the Japanese community, due to the removal of Activity Feed (where most people do awesome manga stuff on) and giving no actual option to replace that need.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
That's cool and all but maybe stick a "Vote for Wolf DLC" ad in the video or something. Just seems a bit like advertisement with zero consideration to the thread topic by posting it here. Yeah, we do deviate from time to time but that's usually because it was related to Wolf or the discussion at the time somehow.
He did that in the first one

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Its aggravating that they didn't announce any DLC characters to look forward to. It also doesn't help that we're not sure of how th ballot exactly works, is most votes or a combination of the character and the votes. Also is it just me or does the Wolf in the codec look like an HD version of Wolf's Assault portrait.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Its aggravating that they didn't announce any DLC characters to look forward to. It also doesn't help that we're not sure of how th ballot exactly works, is most votes or a combination of the character and the votes. Also is it just me or does the Wolf in the codec look like an HD version of Wolf's Assault portrait.
Don't think the ballot is absolute. I'll only touch on it briefly here (detailed version can be found in sig) but I think we will get maybe 2 characters from the ballot at most, the rest will probably be considered for a Smash 5. It won't necessarily be the top 2 either, all the standard smash criteria still apply.

If Goku and Shrek were top 2, you know they wouldn't get in.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
Don't think the ballot is absolute. I'll only touch on it briefly here (detailed version can be found in sig) but I think we will get maybe 2 characters from the ballot at most, the rest will probably be considered for a Smash 5. It won't necessarily be the top 2 either, all the standard smash criteria still apply.

Its not Goku and Shrek,its Shrek and Ridley/Goku

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman

I think we will get 3 or more. I guarantee it. The definition of several is more than two but not many. I would say we have 3-5 DLC characters left.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think we will get 3 or more. I guarantee it. The definition of several is more than two but not many. I would say we have 3-5 DLC characters left.
Yeah, 3-5 is the number I'm sticking with. That could be all ballot or some ballot with a couple preplanned characters left, though.

Logo12

Smash Lord
I'd say stop bringing up the dictionary. The "several" is more than the original context now that the earlier sentences sound vague.

With the vagueness given, I'd think the several more precisely translates to "I don't know how many". So it's not guaranteed.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think we might actually see the first ballot character in August, even if it's just a tease. As I said in another thread, though, it might not be Wolf as complacency settled in when the ballot was first released and Wolf was deemed a shoe-in - if we're getting a character from the first half of the ballot's life, it might be an antagonistic anthropomorphic animal who is a little more... green.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Considering development time for these characters is 3-4 months if we got more then 4 I'd be surprised. I think saying several to mean 5+ is a bit of a stretch of the definition. Wii U support generally speaking is winding down as opposed to picking up and with a NX reveal June 2016 you would expect barebones support for the Wii U and Wii U DLC in the leadup to the NX launch.

So far all the DLC has been veterans minus one. While Ryu and Snake are unique and very popular, if they went away the next game people at least would understand because they are 3rd parties and the future of those characters in the series isn't always guaranteed.

Do remember the character select screen as well. In the Wii U version every picture had so much slack space that could have easily been chopped without too much effort. At the moment we have 2 more spaces hidden and the character screen will also allow 2 more with the current spacing. Anymore then 2 would require a dramatic resizing and reorganisation of the character select screen.

They technically only need to have one character officially as a result of the ballot for its purpose to be served as far as Nintendo's commitment to the public, however the rest would easily be contenders for a Smash 5 (if and when). So far a conservative but not without merit thought would be one more pre ballot (Wolf) and one ballot character (a fresh face).

StormC

Smash Hero
Considering development time for these characters is 3-4 months if we got more then 4 I'd be surprised..
We don't actually know this for a fact. The amount of time taken to develop Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu is unclear.

They technically only need to have one character officially as a result of the ballot for its purpose to be served as far as Nintendo's commitment to the public, however the rest would easily be contenders for a Smash 5 (if and when). So far a conservative but not without merit thought would be one more pre ballot (Wolf) and one ballot character (a fresh face).
Iwata did say "characters" in the Direct. I would be surprised if we got less than three from the ballot, even if one of those is Wolf.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
We don't actually know this for a fact. The amount of time taken to develop Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu is unclear.
We don't, although there's plenty of things to draw upon so far. We know characters take ages to produce more specifically new characters created from scratch with no prior assets, this had been said by Sakurai himself already. We can assume Mewtwo started development very close to the launch of Smash 4, whether it was slightly before or after it could be either way. In the 9 ish months since Launch we've had 4 characters. I'm sure if they could make them a lot faster they would and wouldn't wait 3 months between releases because they would have plenty of content to go around for a long period of time.

Iwata did say "characters" in the Direct. I would be surprised if we got less than three from the ballot, even if one of those is Wolf.
Translation and context aside, 2 characters would be enough to technically satisfy the plural. Assuming we will get 2 more at the minimum is pretty much all but set at this point. Anymore then 2 is a weaker argument compared to just 2.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Translation and context aside, 2 characters would be enough to technically satisfy the plural. Assuming we will get 2 more at the minimum is pretty much all but set at this point. Anymore then 2 is a weaker argument compared to just 2.
Having a ballot run for a whopping six months and only having a Brawl veteran and a newcomer to show for it wouldn't do super well for Nintendo's PR either, which is why I think we'll get at least one more. It's just too long of a period when they know most people are submitting characters they want to see in Smash 4, not 5.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Considering development time for these characters is 3-4 months if we got more then 4 I'd be surprised. I think saying several to mean 5+ is a bit of a stretch of the definition. Wii U support generally speaking is winding down as opposed to picking up and with a NX reveal June 2016 you would expect barebones support for the Wii U and Wii U DLC in the leadup to the NX launch.

So far all the DLC has been veterans minus one. While Ryu and Snake are unique and very popular, if they went away the next game people at least would understand because they are 3rd parties and the future of those characters in the series isn't always guaranteed.

Do remember the character select screen as well. In the Wii U version every picture had so much slack space that could have easily been chopped without too much effort. At the moment we have 2 more spaces hidden and the character screen will also allow 2 more with the current spacing. Anymore then 2 would require a dramatic resizing and reorganisation of the character select screen.

We also have no clue what NX is, since they say that Wii U will still have support, it could be that its a hybrid console, I've heard many rumors about it, its a mess.

MainJPW

M.T.A
For all we know one or more of the pre-ballot characters already had partial work done even in early stages of the games development but of course was put on low priority to work on series newcomers.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Having a ballot run for a whopping six months and only having a Brawl veteran and a newcomer to show for it wouldn't do super well for Nintendo's PR either, which is why I think we'll get at least one more. It's just too long of a period when they know most people are submitting characters they want to see in Smash 4, not 5.
I think we will be getting Wolf and K. Rool at a minimum, and I seriously believe Isaac and Bandana Dee both have a shot as well. I'm still sticking by my theory of 6. It's lofty, but I shall not be swayed. Wolf and another Pre-Ballot to fill the two "marios" and then 4 Ballot characters. They could fill the last two spots with Wolf and someone else, then make one last column for the Ballot Winners.

My Prediction:

Pre-Ballot
Wolf (Come on now, why isn't he in already?)
Chorus Men (I believe they actually were worked on in development, so many signs point to yes)

Ballot
King K. Rool (Worldwide Popularity)
Isaac (Higher Western Popularity)
Bandanna Dee (Worldwide Popularity)
Krystal (Higher Japanese Popularity)

Edit: It took a while to think on that, but I think they're all the most likely. I thought about switching Krystal out for Shantae, but Shantae IS an Indie character, and Krystal is apparently pretty popular over in Japan.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
We also have no clue what NX is, since they say that Wii U will still have support, it could be that its a hybrid console, I've heard many rumors about it, its a mess.
So far pretty much all information on it is speculation and rumour. Although every Nintendo Home Console to date has had a 5 year lifecycle, Wii U was 2012 so 2017 seems about right based on that.

Of course Wii U will still have support. No console immediately cuts off the previous gen immediately but I wouldn't expect Wii U to survive more then 6 to 12 months after the NX release especially if NX will be backwards compatible with Wii U.

The majority of people who saw the Smash Ballot direct or Smash fans would have already voted by now. After the direct only people who are Smash Fans will be invested in it anyway and Smash Fans so far are generally unhappy with lots of things anyway so that "PR Hit" will always happen regardless of what they do, but they can do things to make sure when they do something that is a positive in the media that it blows up rather then it just being something fans are content with.

Nintendo doesn't exactly release that much new IP that often. While there is definitely still plenty of characters they can pull from they want to find the right balance between having enough so people are happy with what is new and not putting too much to over saturate things and diminish the hype and positive that comes from each one.

Anyone who isn't directly put into Smash 4 DLC from the Ballot will pretty much be automatically put into consideration for Smash 5. If we assume every character from now on is Ballot related only, 2 is the minimum and up to 4 is believable. I don't know what basis anyone has for 5+. Characters take time to develop, NX is looming and isn't something that can just be pushed aside anymore as an irrelevant factor and many other factors already stated.

Edit: Cost is also another factor. The following numbers are relevant to the Australian/Eur context so apply your local currencies and pricing accordingly. Smash retailed here for $70-$99 AUD here. So far all the games content costs $29.20 for just Wii U and almost $40 for both versions. We have at least 3 more stages coming plus if we assume minimum 2 more characters thats roughly $45 for Wii U alone and $60-$65. Anymore then that and they push the "DLC costs as much as the game" argument that Sakurai has said that he doesnt want people to feel cheated out of content.

Last edited:

Wolfiv

Smash Journeyman
I'm Community Manager, what do you want me to do for you guys and Wolf?
- Don't expect me doing the Change petition that soon since I don't know how to express my English 100%.
- The moment you create something like that I'll try supporting that project to be popular.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
I think we will be getting Wolf and K. Rool at a minimum, and I seriously believe Isaac and Bandana Dee both have a shot as well. I'm still sticking by my theory of 6. It's lofty, but I shall not be swayed. Wolf and another Pre-Ballot to fill the two "marios" and then 4 Ballot characters. They could fill the last two spots with Wolf and someone else, then make one last column for the Ballot Winners.

My Prediction:

Pre-Ballot
Wolf (Come on now, why isn't he in already?)
Chorus Men (I believe they actually were worked on in development, so many signs point to yes)

Ballot
King K. Rool (Worldwide Popularity)
Isaac (Higher Western Popularity)
Bandanna Dee (Worldwide Popularity)
Krystal (Higher Japanese Popularity)

Edit: It took a while to think on that, but I think they're all the most likely. I thought about switching Krystal out for Shantae, but Shantae IS an Indie character, and Krystal is apparently pretty popular over in Japan.
While I think this list is solid,the Chorus Men might not have been the Rythmn Heaven character that was cut,I think it might have been Karate Joe,but it could be the Chorus Men

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

Not necessarily, It could mean we have 6 more to go (2 probably being pre-planned) with a second row added to the right, Just shrink the portraits a little (They already did this with Roy and Ryu) and move some characters up a row. Push Zelda up a row, then push the 2 on the start of the third row up etc etc and add the rest on the bottom

Top Bottom