• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can I please receive some critiques?

ZeroBlindDragon

Smash Apprentice
Greetings!

On Saturday, February 28, 2015, a major Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament was held in Quebec City. I got 3rd in Singles and 1st in Doubles! Those results exceeded everybody's expectations, including mine! However, I know there is a lot of room for improvement and this is why I request your help, fellow Peach mains!

Three sets in Singles involving me have been recorded. Can I please receive critiques for all of them?

"Tippers & Turnips" Losers' Finals (Peach Vs. Marth)

"Stitchface : The Ultimate Momentum Canceller" Losers' Semis (Peach Vs. Falcon)

"Ice Climbers' Revenge" Winners' Semis (Peach Vs. Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff)

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
you're mashing x/y every single time your opponent hits you for absolutely no reason in every game.
no idea why you'd call STF a major either

4:40 in the first vid you hear the wasted jump sound several times in a row. actually you hear that sound every few seconds for the entire set
2:00 in the second vid, you get kneed across the stage and waste the jump instead of teching
7:50 in the second vid you try to jump out of a jab...

there are so many times where your wasted jumps should have resulted in losing a stock but you were fortunate enough to have opponents that didnt capitalize on it as well as they should have. i should come out to quebec city lol

Last edited:

ZeroBlindDragon

Smash Apprentice
Our Super Smash Bros. community in Quebec City is very young. It was founded last Summer. We've grown from 15 to 315 members in the span of six months. We might be very unexperienced, but we really want to learn! We also had 75+ participants for STF, which is high for a "local" tournament, don't you agree?

If you want to move to Quebec City, I highly encourage you to do so! However, be warned that the majority of us do not know English. We also do all our commentaries in French only. We try to appeal to Quebecers before appealing to Americans.

But regarding your critique, you're close! I am not mashing the X/Y buttons : I am mashing the control stick! In other words, this is me trying to DI and accidentally performing a jump. I seem to have an higher survival rate when I mash perpendicularly to my trajectory rather than simply holding the control stick in said direction... Therefore, when I DI upward, you would hear my second jump being accidentally used.

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
Hey, how's it going? I didn't watch all of the videos, but I watched a bit of the first video. The only couple things I can point out to you is that at the ledge, you downsmashed twice in a row and missed both times. That could have easily gotten you punished, and if the punish was hard enough, it could have been a stock. Marth's pretty tricky on the ledge. Other than that, your turnip game was on point, though, you might want to work on turnip approch mixups. Short hop > turnip throw > low float > nair. Or full hop > turnip throw > high float > fair, though you won't be using this one a lot against Marth. It's a good mixup because Marths tend to catch on to your pattern of turnip throws. You can also dash attack under a short hop fair from Marth, just in case you didn't know that. c:

ZeroBlindDragon

Smash Apprentice
Hello @ Raisin Raisin ! I am doing great, thanks for asking! I am also hungry... for improvement. x) What about you?

Thank you so much for your critique! I really appreciate it.

I tried to use down smash on Marth while he's holding the ledge for an early kill (spike) once his invincibility wears off. I admit it's a bit impatient from my part. XD Do you recommend that I always stay away? It worked on during the second match on Yoshi's Story.

A major problem I encountered in my set is that Marth shields my aerial attacks (approaches) and proceeds to shield grab me right after. He doesn't seem to have much hitsun when I pressure his shield, unlike Sheik. My opponent began to exploit this in the last matches (Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium). What should I do?

Thanks for the tip regarding Peach's dash attack! I didn't know it. =D

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
No problem at all! As for you getting shield grabbed, if that ever happens, it means you spaced your aerial wrong. You see, Peach indeed had priority on shields, but only if spaced correctly. For example, a FC fair > grab will only work if the fair connects with the bottom half of your opponent's shield, right before you hit the ground. This is because if you hit the top part of a shield, that extra shield stun will keep you airborn just long enough to get punished for attacking a shield. You want to aim for the lower half of the shield. Also, if you're actually aiming for the upper part of the shield, you can do a cross-up, which involves landing behind your opponent and not in front, making you harder to punish. This works with nair the best. Cross-up nair to down-smash at mid to high percents is really good against Marth. The reason why down-smash against Marth at early percents isn't so great is because Peach's down-smash will usually only hit Marth once and it won't send him very far, so he is able to punish you even though you're the one who hit him first. As for Marth on the ledge, what I like to do is run towards the center of the stage and throw turnips towards the ledge. If done correctly, it sometimes hits and then the Marth will recover, only to hit another turnip, and then he recovers into another, and then another, and so on. If it doesn't kill, it racks up damage fast. Another thing to do against Marth on the ledge is to sometimes shield at the ledge if the Marth likes to nair on the stage. This can be easily shield grabbed. A roll onto stage can be punished with dair > nair or a grab or pretty much whatever you please. Oh yeah, a fair onto stage can be sheild grabbed too. It's a really hard matchup and I'm still not that great at it, but I do have a bit of knowledge of it and I try my best to be better at it haha. I hope this helps! c:

Last edited:

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
I shouldn't have TO'd STYC and should've gone to that tournament. Oh wow.

ZeroBlindDragon

Smash Apprentice
@ Raisin Raisin : Oh wow! I had no idea priority on shields involved hitting the lower part of it... Thank you so much for this important piece of knowledge! I'll keep this in mind! Also, I've seen many videos of Peach players performing what you call a cross-up neutral aerial, but I've never attempted to do it myself. I will definitively practice these two techniques. Cross-up neutral earial to down smash when Marth is at high percent also sounds like music to my ears! This is exactly the kind of reply I've been looking for by posting on Smash Boards. I can't thank you enough for your time to write these messages. ^^

@ MTL Kyle MTL Kyle : Non, pas du tout! In fact, I would like to thank you for that. J'ai pu gagner plus de 100$ en remportant la 3ème place grâce à l'absence des Montréalais! Mais puisque tu as écrit sur mon billet... pourquoi ne pas, toi aussi, critiquer mes matchs? I would appreciate it a lot! Do it for your fellow Québec Peach player. =)

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
No problem at all! Just here to help is all. Best of luck in your future as a smash player! :D

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
@ MTL Kyle MTL Kyle : Non, pas du tout! In fact, I would like to thank you for that. J'ai pu gagner plus de 100$ en remportant la 3ème place grâce à l'absence des Montréalais! Mais puisque tu as écrit sur mon billet... pourquoi ne pas, toi aussi, critiquer mes matchs? I would appreciate it a lot! Do it for your fellow Québec Peach player. =)

I could critique the play extensively, but I guess other people already coined the important aspects.
The best advice that I can give to anyone is trying beat someone fundamentally and stop trying to "Peach" people.

You will see more possibilities appearing, including opportunities to "Peach" them. It's beautiful.

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
I could critique the play extensively, but I guess other people already coined the important aspects.
The best advice that I can give to anyone is trying beat someone fundamentally and stop trying to "Peach" people.

You will see more possibilities appearing, including opportunities to "Peach" them. It's beautiful.
You're absolutely right. I had to learn that the hard way because I live with a Luigi player. "Peaching" Luigi does NOT work, so I'm forced to adapt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom