1. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 140,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 14 million posted discussions!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2. The official Nintendo White Controller is on sale for under $40 right now! Get it before the price increases!

3. Looking for the perfect gift for that Smasher in your life? Maybe even yourself? Use the Smashboards Store to get any awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo White Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

Guide Bucketology: The Definitive Guide to Oil Panic

Discussion in 'Game & Watch' started by Metmetm3t, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Metmetm3t

Metmetm3t Smash Ace

Introduction:
    [​IMG]

So in an old thread I made a "tier list" of absorbable moves, but it was based only on my old brawl knowledge and experience and, to put it frankly, it was wrong. So here it is a proper study on bucketology, enjoy.

The Basics:
    [​IMG]

Game & Watch's Down-B, Oil Panic or simply "The Bucket" is a move that many players might want to call a projectile counter, but in reality it doesn't quite follow that moniker at all. It doesn't absorb all projectiles, nor does it limit it's consumption to to only projectiles, nor does it directly counter them. What it does do is suck up certain moves which later can be used to return his own attack. The damage this attack deals is based on the amount of damage the move has previously absorbed. So the less damage G&W has bucketed the less damage he will use to counter, while the more damage he snags the more he dishes out, with one added rule (more on that later). In Project:M G&W can bucket up to three moves and release his attack anytime as long as he has at least one move swallowed to throw back. The more attacks he has in the bucket the bigger the counter attack will be. With the three projectile attack having a massive hitbox.

The List:
    This is the complete list of absorbable moves and how much damage they do.
    Remember that Oil Panic's attack damage is directly linked to how much damage G&W has absorbed.

[​IMG]

The Twist:
    [​IMG]

Despite the range of absorbable move power, Oil Panic only counts damages between 0 and 8. Which means and move that gets absorbed and would have done more than 8 damage will be capped and is counted as 8. Mario's fireball is 100% equivalent to a Mega Aura Sphere from Lucario. This means that focusing on absorbing dangerous high powered moves is fruitless, but it also means that quite a few mid ranged attacks are incredibly potent.

The Math:
    So the maximum damage Bucket can consume is 8, and the minimum damage it can absorb is less than one. So how does all of that work out as G&W grabs multiple attacks, and how much damage can Oil Panic do? For all intents and purposes it follows a linear progression where as the total damage absorbed increase they add together and result in increased bucket damage.

[​IMG]

The chart only goes up to 24/60 because that is the damage cap for the move. 24 is a full bucket of all 8 damage moves (8x3). As you can see, there is also a hard limit on the minimum damage a bucket can do set at 10.

The Rest:
    There is a lot of confusion over what moves can and cannot be absorbed. Most of this stems from the possibilities created by anomalous Down Smash of Zero Suit Samus. Which is the only absorbable non-Special Attack. There are also quite a few instances of projectile type moves that cannot be bucketed. Or otherwise attacks that look like they could be "energy" based, So just to get them out there the following moves CANNOT be absorbed into the bucket:

Wario (Fart), Peach (Turnip, Bomb-Omb), Yoshi (Egg), Diddy Kong (Banana, Peanut), Captain Falcon (Falcon Punch), Ice Climbers (Ice Block), Zelda (Smash Attacks, UAir, Side-B explosion), Sheik (Needles), Link (Arrows, Boomarang, Bombs, Up-B), Toon Link (Arrows, Boomarang, Bombs, Up-B), Pikachu (Fsmash, DSmash), Ivysaur (Raser Leaf, Seed Bomb, Solar Beam), Charizard (Tail, Heat Wave), Samus (Missile, Super Missile), Lucas (Psych Up, USmash, DSmash), Ness (Fair), Olimar (Pikmin), ROB (Top), G&W (Bacon), Snake (Grenade, Tranquilizer, Claymore, USmash)

The Interesting:
    1. Bucketing PK Fire is nearly useless
    2. Aura Sphere is just a good to absorb at zero charge as it is as a Mega Aura Sphere
    3. Squirtle's Water Gun and Bubbles are bucketable
    4. Din's Fire is very difficult to absorb
    5. Wolf's Blaster at max range is about as good as Fox or Falco's at close range
    6. At 60 Damage Oil Panic is the most powerful single hit in the game tied only by Marth's final smash
    The Conclusion:
    [​IMG]

Like the rest of his repertoire Game & Watch's Down B has a life of it's own in Project:M. You can't base your understanding of the move on what worked in previous versions of Smash. The new bucket is a powerful move, with a fresh design that changes the way G&W aproaches many projectiles he used to know.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. #HBC | Ryker

#HBC | Ryker Netplay Monstrosity

• Premium
    • Back Roomer

So, the old formula of the most powerful move in the bucket being the only one that matters is gone, correct?

The more you know.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. Juushichi

Juushichi DRB | にせもの

• Premium
    • Project M Back Room
    Beautiful.

Also get out of here, Ryker
  4. G13_Flux

G13_Flux Smash Ace

wait are you sure you cant absorb solar beam? i feel like ive done it a couple times before. unless it was different in earlier versions.
  5. Crezyte

Crezyte Smash Apprentice

Something to note about the bucket... you can turn it around right after you do it so that there is a hitbox just in front of you, turn, full hitbox behind you. Its neat but it has little practical use outside of teams and trolling...
    Nguz95 likes this.
  6. Soft Serve

Soft Serve ImaGe | OG-B | S0ftie

• Premium
    This is a great guide. I didn't know that is how the damage counters worked.

Although you can definitely absorb solar beams. I'm 100% certain about it, I tested it out with a friend last night.
  7. Metmetm3t

Metmetm3t Smash Ace

Yea you guys are right about Solar beam. I based that off of my memory from 2.something where it wasn't bucketable.

There is also a secret other missing bucket I found
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  8. Controlled_Chaos

Controlled_Chaos Smash Rookie

You can absorb lucarios side-B (outside of the grab). It makes a pretty strong bucket.
  9. DKMikey

DKMikey Smash Apprentice

Can G&W bucket Samus missiles?
  10. Metmetm3t

Metmetm3t Smash Ace

11. The 0ne

The 0ne Smash Rookie

Nintendo Network ID:
    toady3
    Thank you so much! I'm a rising G&W secondary and I came on to the G&W forums looking for precisely something like this. It's crazy how much you know about the Bucket.