• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Anyway I want to bring back the discussion on what an IC reboot could be. It was fun to read/write about :]

+

GUYS! I JUST REALIZED! Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze should have been an Ice Climber Reboot Game!

Tundra themed enemies? Only two players at once, even though there are four characters? No Kremlings again?

Obvious cover up is obvious Nintendo! :facepalm:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655

+

GUYS! I JUST REALIZED! Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze should have been an Ice Climber Reboot Game!

Tundra themed enemies? Only two players at once, even though there are four characters? No Kremlings again?

Maybe Retro Studios could be the ones to pick up ICies and make another winter/ice themed game with them. It's in their name so it could work. Perhaps they could go for some revamped vertical platforming as well as some DKC styled level design where they travel across the vast tundras and icy terrain while upgrading their combat to take on enemies with some inspiration from Smash.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

+

Dang it! This is why we can't have nice things! That cover-up is too obvious!!!

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Maybe Retro Studios could be the ones to pick up ICies and make another winter/ice themed game with them. It's in their name so it could work. Perhaps they could go for some revamped vertical platforming as well as some DKC styled level design where they travel across the vast tundras and icy terrain while upgrading their combat to take on enemies with some inspiration from Smash.
I would love it if they did that. However, I still can't help but feel Tropical Freeze should have been an Ice Climber game in the first place. I mean all that evidence, it's like this game actually started development as a planned Ice Climber game. All the Ice Climber feels are there (winter enemies, only two players)...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I would love it if they did that. However, I still can't help but feel Tropical Freeze should have been an Ice Climber game in the first place. I mean all that evidence, it's like this game actually started development as a planned Ice Climber game. All the Ice Climber feels are there (winter enemies, only two players)...

You had to throw in that gif, didn't you???

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Has Sakurai ever stated that they were put into Smash as a couple? That heart can just represent their deep bond as loving brother and sister. Also I just recently got a new hat in Streetpass Plaza. Of course, it's the Ice Climber's Hood. I'll be wearing it to show off my support for them and hopefully convince people to consider voting.
What a slap in the face to Ice Climber fans.....

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
What a slap in the face to Ice Climber fans.....
I'm not sure exactly when the hood was added, but I'm guessing around the same time Plaza Tickets were introduced. What IS a blatant slap in the face though is of course their non-playable trophy, the challenge with a blue and pink Kirby using their hammers that gives you the Ice Climbers trophy, the songs Ice Climber and Icicle Mountain that play on Wrecking Crew, Sakurai's initial statement on why he cut them in the first place... need I say more? I can sure say that Ice Climbers getting cut was without a doubt the most unjustified cut in Smash 4. Removing them on the Wii U to accommodate for the 3DS is utter bull.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm not sure exactly when the hood was added, but I'm guessing around the same time Plaza Tickets were introduced. What IS a blatant slap in the face though is of course their non-playable trophy, the challenge with a blue and pink Kirby using their hammers that gives you the Ice Climbers trophy, the songs Ice Climber and Icicle Mountain that play on Wrecking Crew, Sakurai's initial statement on why he cut them in the first place... need I say more? I can sure say that Ice Climbers getting cut was without a doubt the most unjustified cut in Smash 4. Removing them on the Wii U to accommodate for the 3DS is utter bull.
Wait, what blue and pink Kirby challenge is that?

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Honestly an Ice Climbers Reboot shouldn't even be that hard.
Sakurai did sort of pull it off in Subspace when the Ice climbers are chasing Meta Knight up that mountain.
Give them everything from Smash and transfer that into it's own game.
Then Re-introduce them to Smash at E3 to promote this new game.
Instant Profit.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Honestly an Ice Climbers Reboot shouldn't even be that hard.
Sakurai did sort of pull it off in Subspace when the Ice climbers are chasing Meta Knight up that mountain.
Give them everything from Smash and transfer that into it's own game.
Then Re-introduce them to Smash at E3 to promote this new game.
Instant Profit.
Easy money making idea is easy. We're definately getting Smash DLC news at E3, and a new character for DLC most likely. I'm just debating whether it's gonna be Wolf or ICies. They could introduce Wolf when they talk about that Star Fox game, or they could bring back ICies at any time due to their popularity and/or they were originally planned to be in the game.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Easy money making idea is easy. We're definately getting Smash DLC news at E3, and a new character for DLC most likely. I'm just debating whether it's gonna be Wolf or ICies. They could introduce Wolf when they talk about that Star Fox game, or they could bring back ICies at any time due to their popularity and/or they were originally planned to be in the game.
Or all 4.
:popo::wolf::roypm: RYU
What..... A man can dream X3

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Or all 4.
:popo::wolf::roypm: RYU
What..... A man can dream X3
I'd personally rather not have the Roy/Ryu leak be true, but if it is, it is. And I won't really care much about those two anyways, I'm more excited for ICies return, and I really think that Wolf deserves to come back.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
I'd personally rather not have the Roy/Ryu leak be true, but if it is, it is. And I won't really care much about those two anyways, I'm more excited for ICies return, and I really think that Wolf deserves to come back.
I want my secondary's back too. :)
E3 and the entire smash roster would be perfect with these 2 (3)
In my Opinion. :popo::wolf:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sakuri: The Ice Climbers crash the 3Ds system, so we couldn't add them.
Ice Climber fans: THAT ISN'T A GOOD ENOUGH REASON!!!!! YOU COULD HAVE MADE THEM WII U EXCLUSIVE!!!!!!!
Me: The Wii U version already has way too many things that the 3Ds version doesn't. This alone pissed me off. (Before I got a Wii U, that is) If a whole character was playable on the Wii U version then I would probably still be raging about it.

Note: I have nothing against the Ice Climbers, and I want them back, but it angers me when people say their cut was unjustified.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Ice Climber fans: THAT ISN'T A GOOD ENOUGH REASON!!!!! YOU COULD HAVE MADE THEM WII U EXCLUSIVE!!!!!!!
Me: The Wii U version already has way too many things that the 3Ds version doesn't. This alone pissed me off. (Before I got a Wii U, that is) If a whole character was playable on the Wii U version then I would probably still be raging about it.

Note: I have nothing against the Ice Climbers, and I want them back, but it angers me when people say their cut was unjustified.
Sadly, yes. Although it is QUITE empowering to say stuff like "Their cut was TOTALLY undeserved and they must, should, and WILL be coming back!" you're right to say that there are some good reasons why one character should be cut in order to keep the two versions the same.
With that said, I do hope Sakurai is still considering/working on implementing the ICs, because it was honestly a cut that might not have seemed so bad at first, but was really a huge, saddening cut when one takes into consideration that other characters are planned for DLC (Mewtwo, Lucas), but the classic 2-time vets are nowhere to be seen--for now...

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655

I made my statement sound really rash to get my point across and that was basically me getting more post-despair lost main syndrome... whatever off my chest. Yes, that statement is debatable, and yes I emphasized that the wrong way and let my bias get the best of me. That being said, the anxious "Please Daddy Sakurai put my most wanted character in the game" phase is a difficult one. It has ups and downs and hopes and fears. Just want to clarify that I wouldn't wish any of the current content in either version to be sacrificed for the sole purpose of making "room" for ICies. I am very grateful for what Smash 3DS and Wii U have to offer, I just don't always show it. So here are my more rational thoughts: it was very disappointing to see the Ice Climbers left on the back burner where they wouldn't make it into the final release considering they're a two time veteran. I understand that there are many variables that go into game development, some that I'm not even aware of, including time constraints and compatibility issues with hardware. I have full faith that Sakurai and his team will be able to persevere now that they have additional time and desire to please their fans even more. I believe the last thing they want is for a fanbase such as the Ice Climbers' one (as one example) to be ignored despite priority no longer being an issue, and again, more time to rework past technical issues. I apologize for sounding so harsh in my previous reply. I just need to remember that those technical issues and low priority are a thing of the past and no longer apply now.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yes. It's in my rotation :] That music makes me actually spend time on the home screen when it comes on :]
Lol, I love it when music keeps you on the home screen because that's the only place to hear it! But, after a while, it kinda makes you look stupid, lol.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Lol, I love it when music keeps you on the home screen because that's the only place to hear it! But, after a while, it kinda makes you look stupid, lol.
Well.........Haters gonna hate.
I made my statement sound really rash to get my point across and that was basically me getting more post-despair lost main syndrome... whatever off my chest. Yes, that statement is debatable, and yes I emphasized that the wrong way and let my bias get the best of me. That being said, the anxious "Please Daddy Sakurai put my most wanted character in the game" phase is a difficult one. It has ups and downs and hopes and fears. Just want to clarify that I wouldn't wish any of the current content in either version to be sacrificed for the sole purpose of making "room" for ICies. I am very grateful for what Smash 3DS and Wii U have to offer, I just don't always show it. So here are my more rational thoughts: it was very disappointing to see the Ice Climbers left on the back burner where they wouldn't make it into the final release considering they're a two time veteran. I understand that there are many variables that go into game development, some that I'm not even aware of, including time constraints and compatibility issues with hardware. I have full faith that Sakurai and his team will be able to persevere now that they have additional time and desire to please their fans even more. I believe the last thing they want is for a fanbase such as the Ice Climbers' one (as one example) to be ignored despite priority no longer being an issue, and again, more time to rework past technical issues. I apologize for sounding so harsh in my previous reply. I just need to remember that those technical issues and low priority are a thing of the past and no longer apply now.
I do think that they could return while still being a duo. Here is what I think would work, and why:
Rosalina and Luma are very similar to the Ice Climbers, and they work just fine. And I think I know why. First, Luma doesn't use special moves on it's own. Second, Luma doesn't recover from it's tumbling animation. Third, Luma can't grab or be grabbed. And fourth, Luma has a very simplistic design.
So let's put it all together. Nana (or Popo depending on which pallet you have) could start her tumbling animation at larger knockback than the rest of the cast, but it will result in a KO if she starts tumbling over a pit. Nana could use two jumps on her own if she is separated from Popo, but wouldn't be able to use her special move. Nana's ability to grab, and be grabbed would be removed, making the Ice Climbers less OP, and making it slightly harder to attack Nana. Both Nana and Popo could be 8-bit in the 3Ds version, and 3D on the Wii U.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well.........Haters gonna hate.

I do think that they could return while still being a duo. Here is what I think would work, and why:
No doubt about that. I usually make stages specifically so when I go on said stage, I can listen to one piece of music that will always be there.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I may or may not have done this for the song: Engage the Enemy.
I meant in Stage Builder. On the regular stages, there's just WAY too much good music to only have one piece play on each stage.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I wanna see an alt where they are 8-bit personally. It'll hark back to the game's roots.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, for the duo's inclusion in Smash, anyone have any ideas for Stage/Assist Trophy?

I assume they'd just use the Polar Bear as an assist, he's already a Smash Run foe...

For a stage though?

How about another Summit stage? Only this one stays at the top of the Mountain. Clouds will go by for players to use as platforms, and there can be a few different levels of the summit to fight on. The stage boss would be the condor, who would occasionally fly into view carrying an item (Assist trophy, Pokeball, or even a Smash Ball rarely). Before players can get the item, they need to attack the condor enough times, who will also try to dive at players (Smash Balls can't be broken when carried by the condor). Once the boss is beaten, it'll fly away while dropping the item. No player has rights to the item, even if they got the final hit on the boss. From there, it's business as usual.

It's just something I came up with on the spot. I'd really like to see other people's ideas though!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
And they told me lowering their graphics would be a bad idea.
I wouldn't like it as the main outfit, but I'd like there to be an alternate costume that is 8-bit.
So, for the duo's inclusion in Smash, anyone have any ideas for Stage/Assist Trophy?

I assume they'd just use the Polar Bear as an assist, he's already a Smash Run foe...

For a stage though?

How about another Summit stage? Only this one stays at the top of the Mountain. Clouds will go by for players to use as platforms, and there can be a few different levels of the summit to fight on. The stage boss would be the condor, who would occasionally fly into view carrying an item (Assist trophy, Pokeball, or even a Smash Ball rarely). Before players can get the item, they need to attack the condor enough times, who will also try to dive at players (Smash Balls can't be broken when carried by the condor). Once the boss is beaten, it'll fly away while dropping the item. No player has rights to the item, even if they got the final hit on the boss. From there, it's business as usual.

It's just something I came up with on the spot. I'd really like to see other people's ideas though!
A concept where you have to destroy blocks above you to move further up the stage would be rather cool. However, instead of being a moving stage like Icicle Mountain, the stage snaps up half a second after every time a player lands on the next level up, meaning that it becomes a race to not get caught out by your opponent's movement. It'd be a new concept for Smash that has all the anti-camping tactics that the scrolling stages bring without being completely obnoxious to play on.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I wouldn't like it as the main outfit, but I'd like there to be an alternate costume that is 8-bit.

A concept where you have to destroy blocks above you to move further up the stage would be rather cool. However, instead of being a moving stage like Icicle Mountain, the stage snaps up half a second after every time a player lands on the next level up, meaning that it becomes a race to not get caught out by your opponent's movement. It'd be a new concept for Smash that has all the anti-camping tactics that the scrolling stages bring without being completely obnoxious to play on.
Only problem I see is that, what if nobody WANTS to go to the next level? It basically becomes another FD with a ceiling. It wouldn't affect the stage too much, and really isn't a major problem, but maybe include some enemies that spawn on the levels if you don't move up to the next within a few seconds (around 15 maybe), just to keep the stage moving along.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The only thing I didn't like about vertical scrollers, is that you will be battling with ease and then.....
Speed Up! Speed Up! Speed Up! Speed Up! Speed Up!SpeedUp!SpeedUp!SpeedUp!
That's when it gets obnoxious.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The only thing I didn't like about vertical scrollers, is that you will be battling with ease and then.....
Speed Up! Speed Up! Speed Up! Speed Up! Speed Up!SpeedUp!SpeedUp!SpeedUp!
That's when it gets obnoxious.
Who said we were bringing the Rumble Falls concept onto this stage?

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Only problem I see is that, what if nobody WANTS to go to the next level? It basically becomes another FD with a ceiling. It wouldn't affect the stage too much, and really isn't a major problem, but maybe include some enemies that spawn on the levels if you don't move up to the next within a few seconds (around 15 maybe), just to keep the stage moving along.
Yeah! That was the kind of thing I had in mind. With topis/seals and falling ice blocks to encourage players to move, and with the ceiling being just low enough for it to be easy to destroy/get above the blocks with your attacks/your opponents' launched bodies it'd become a great way to also flip the tables and make players be constantly alert of everything that is going on, resulting in fast-paced, think-on-your-feet-style matches. Add a variety of different level designs into the mix and you have yourself an amazing stage that'd be the first moving stage which I would enjoy playing on! I've never liked the way that the moving stages would force you to move just to keep up for the sake of anti-camp (and I thought they were obnoxious even before the "speed up" period) and I think that this strategy of going about it would make the stage movements either strategic or detremental, varying from situation to situation, while harking back to the game's roots.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Yeah! That was the kind of thing I had in mind. With topis/seals and falling ice blocks to encourage players to move, and with the ceiling being just low enough for it to be easy to destroy/get above the blocks with your attacks/your opponents' launched bodies it'd become a great way to also flip the tables and make players be constantly alert of everything that is going on, resulting in fast-paced, think-on-your-feet-style matches. Add a variety of different level designs into the mix and you have yourself an amazing stage that'd be the first moving stage which I would enjoy playing on! I've never liked the way that the moving stages would force you to move just to keep up for the sake of anti-camp (and I thought they were obnoxious even before the "speed up" period) and I think that this strategy of going about it would make the stage movements either strategic or detremental, varying from situation to situation, while harking back to the game's roots.
That actually sounds pretty fun. I think I'd enjoy that more than something like Cavestory, Klonoa, Super Mario World, and Donkey Kong Country. Something with tight controls, without that much movement across tons of space. Like a space shooter, which is more of a platformer. Like a megaman stage with less emphasis on shooting and charging and picking weapons. Just break ice blocks, jump precisely, avoid enemies, and... idk, maybe an ice blast and a hammer-chop here and there. Ooh, a melee-ranged attack system for the ICs? Yes that'd be really cool. Like rayman but with more solid, controlled platforming. Idk, I feel like I'm being ambiguous but I feel a pretty good idea hidden somewhere in all that, haha.

Top Bottom