• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This thread is dying........
This is exactly why the ice climbers being cut is problem.
People are starting to forget them bit by bit.
And I mean the literal sense of Bit.
Seeing how they only have an 8-bit game......
;.;
I think people are largely just getting bored with character discussion in general. There's not really a whole lot of characters that consistently stay on the front page anyways. Honestly, I think a lot of fervor for the Smash Ballot has just about fizzled out and now people are just waiting to see what all is announced at E3.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
I think people are largely just getting bored with character discussion in general. There's not really a whole lot of characters that consistently stay on the front page anyways. Honestly, I think a lot of fervor for the Smash Ballot has just about fizzled out and now people are just waiting to see what all is announced at E3.
Anybody know when E3 2015 is btw? Google won't tell me. Is it not announced yet? From what I've seen, though, it's usually held in June?

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the info, Fat-Man-Onice! (lel)
mfw they announce Wolf, Roy, & the Ice Climbers and say that all three, plus Lucas, will be sold together as DLC. (mfw that probably won't work because they've already sold Mewtwo separately and it wouldn't seem right?... unless they make a "Brawl Veterans" DLC pack or something...)
upload_2015-5-11_8-8-46.png
But yeah, feeling pretty pumped for E3. You guys think Nintendo's saving up the big guns for the event, or it'll be sort of meh? Maybe the Smash Team isn't as concerned as the "rest of Nintendo" about keeping news secret, or announcing big things at e3. Maybe the smash team won't really announce anything new, just restate old news like the Smash Ballot and how Lucas and Mewtwo are in/coming. Then there'll be Splatoon news and the usual?
Or maybe the ballot ends so late because there's much more in store until then? Wishful thinking haha.

Normally yes but Square Enix took their usual time and is having their press conference then.
Does that mean that Nintendo's presentation won't be an hour long, or perhaps won't even be in the morning, and instead, the afternoon?

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I don't want this thread to die :(

The Ice Climbers are one two of the biggest glues that have held the fan base of brawl together (and simultaniously split it up 'cause chain grabs - basically M2K getting salty) at all due to the dual-character mechanic, and it made the game feel fresh as it opened up a new way to play and a new way that they need to be handled. I could see a large number of grab combos open up with IC in the picture such as a down throw to spike spike to jab-reset regrab utilising the spike on Nana's hammer and the ice blocks to jab reset and force a neutral getup, allowing for a safe regrab. Other characters have guaranteed regrab combos at low percents (e.g. assuming that the opponent is not a floaty and is at 0-2%, Mario is able to perform down throw-->up tilt-->up tilt-->grab-->down throw-->up tilt-->jab-->grab (no pummeling) to get two further guaranteed grabs, leading into a down throw-->up tilt-->up air chain), but these are very limited (i.e. very low percents). The dual character nature of the Ice Climbers means that they should be able to keep this going for far longer than other characters, and they could even theoretically do a grab release-->ice block flinch-->regrab to ensure that they can regrab up to high percents (utilising the release animation to desync and be able to regrab frame-perfectly due to not being locked into an ice block animation with the other climber). The more I think about it, the more interesting their grab game sounds and the new mechanics will shake up their playstyle enough to make them feel fresh. I am getting SO excited just thinking about the way that they could work around the new mechanics that I want them back now more than ever!
I often worry about this thread too. Sure it doesn't get as much traffic as say, the Wolf thread, but there are plenty of ICies supporters here and other places as well. As of now, we shouldn't worry about Smash DLC before E3 in terms of major announcements. @ Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said it better. People are getting burnt out by DLC character discussion and I think I'll just sit back, play all the Smash games, play ICies in Melee, Brawl, and PM, and just wait before E3 so I don't have an anxiety attack. We can relax for now since many character discussions have been unwinding.
They should have just been Wii U exclusives from the start if they couldn't work on the 3DS version.

Like the April direct rolls around and Sakura's like "the 2 versions will have the exact same roster EXCEPT the Ice Climbers, as Wii U exclusives because they couldn't work on the 3DS version." Nobody should have felt cheated by this because it's not a marketing tactic. The 3DS wouldn't have the Ice Climbers either way but there would still be a chance for them to be on the Wii U version. If anything, Wii U owners should feel cheated by them not being in the game because of the 3DS version.

And don't give me that "but 8 Player Smash!!!" thing. There's been no evidence that was a factor. Sakurai re-stated the 3DS as the sole reason even after the Wii U version's release. I get that he would have kept it a secret before 8P was announced but he's only ever listed the 3DS version as a factor (and even went as far as to say they were working on the Wii U; he never had to say that, he could have just said they weren't working on either version and then when 8P smash was announced everyone would put the pieces together).
I personally wouldn't have thought it were as unfair with the Ice Climbers specifically if 3DS owners weren't going to get them anyway. I do feel cheated by the 3DS version for being the cause during the development period that caused one of my mains to get cut and hearing about it a whole month before Mewtwo was announced who I was especially anxious to have back in. Sure I've enjoyed my time with the 3DS version, but the Wii U version is my go-to. It would be a cheap marketing tactic if they made other more easily compatible veterans exclusive to one version, or worse, newcomers. I mean, this was their logic basically: "The Ice Climbers are not in the Wii U version because of the 3DS version." I'll say it again: "The Ice Climbers are not in the Wii U version because of the 3DS version." It's like I was stabbed in the back as an ICies main for owning a Wii U. Also the 8-Player Smash rumor is complete bull because of the lack of evidence and yet people still believe it's a factor held against them.

What I said about the 3DS stuff is not an attack on 3DS owners, I am just trying to give a reason why the cut had flawed reasoning behind it with the hypothetical of if the Ice Climbers are truly impossible on the 3DS. With DLC and extra time, the 3DS version has a chance to redeem itself and at this point I can guarantee that ICies DLC would have them on both versions. Also, I thought about a way they could've done it where people initially freak out over the exclusion over ICies on the 3DS version but Sakurai remains silent on their fate on the Wii U version. Then during the 50 Fact Extravaganza, they show off the Ice Climbers on the Wii U version in beautiful HD and announce that the Ice Climbers will be a timed exclusive on the Wii U until they can get them up and running on the 3DS and they will be distributed to 3DS owners once they're fixed as a free download "update." IDK, but the mentioning of the lack of priority the first time around gives me more faith that they'll be brought back hopefully soon on both versions.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Unless the Ice Climbers are announced with a character bundle, I'm not expecting them at E3. Ryu's practically confirmed and Wolf makes sense because Star Fox Wii U is going to be formally revealed. I'm still hoping on three characters revealed though, just because three were also revealed at E3 '13 and E3 '14.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Is their a support list for this thread? If so, i'd like to be on it.

Having :4lucas:,:roypm:, and:wolf:is really hype but what would make it even better is if:popo:and :snake:also were incorporated as DLC.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Packs based off different games would be cool.

64 Pack:
Hyrule Castle, Yoshi's Island, Sector Z, Saffron City
Board the Platforms, Race to the Finish

Melee Pack:
:icsmelee::roymelee:
Princess Peach's Castle, Fountain of Dreams, Corneria, Brinstar, Poke Floats, Mute City
Break the Targets, Melee menu skin

Brawl Pack:
:wolf::lucas:
WarioWare Inc, New Pork City, Pirate Ship, Distant Planet, Summit
Coin Launcher, Brawl menu skin

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I wanna see this "Brawl Pack" and "Melee Pack" come into existence. And if we get this with a "Newcomers Pack" (I'll take a stab at Ryu, Shovel Knight and Inkling) that would be the icing on the cake. Stages would be cool too (although I don't want New Pork City back... that stage just bores the hell out of me tbh as there isn't even a fight club for a stage so big) - and this is coming from a Lucas main in brawl XD

Also Yoshi's Story needs to be in the Melee pack, and I don't think Sector Z will ever return on the basis that it's Corneria minus hazards. Also if we're saying menu skins I want an SSB4 skin.

It'd be cool if there was a 'old mechanics' DLC so that you could play with the mechanics of the old games using the current cast (i.e. veterans returned to former selves, chars not in those games updated to feel like they were in said games, fighting mechanics of older games). It'd be a great way to get newer players into the older games.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Is their a support list for this thread? If so, i'd like to be on it.

Having :4lucas:,:roypm:, and:wolf:is really hype but what would make it even better is if:popo:and :snake:also were incorporated as DLC.
Do veterans generally get support lists? I know they can, but they don't get them as commonly as newcomers do. If there is one, I hope that I'd be on it.

Also, let me leave an image here with the Ice Climbers. It's a part of the "Smash Vacation" series I'm thinking of doing. It's just the Smash Bros. Characters thrown into certain places. This one takes place on the Expedition Everest ride in Disney World. (crossed out for copyright reasons :awesome:)

SmashVacation1.png

Also, I'll leave a bonus as well. This one doesn't have to do with the Ice Climbers, but I have it so might as well use it. I couldn't resist the novelty of this Gift Shop gag.

SmashVacationMug.png

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Dang it, you beat me to it! (Then again, this thread has refused to send me notifications for a week). I'm ready for E3...we need a Smash DLC bomb. ICies, Wolf, and maybe someone else would be awesome!!!
Well hopefully your notifications will cooperate and hopefully we'll get at least one more character announcement during E3. By the way, you said a while ago that you'd be making an Ice Climbers ad. How's that going along? Is it finished?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well hopefully your notifications will cooperate and hopefully we'll get at least one more character announcement during E3. By the way, you said a while ago that you'd be making an Ice Climbers ad. How's that going along? Is it finished?
With the picture I have been basing it off of, it's hard to get Popo's feet right. But once I get that, I just need to color it. I've got a huge project at school, and that's been eating time as well.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ice Climbers! :3
Ice who?
The Ice Climbers are a duo of two characters, Popo, the boy in purple, and Nana, the girl in pink. They first appeared in Ice Climber, where they climbed mountains to catch the condor, who had taken vegetables from them.
Oh yeah those guys. Aren't they impossible to add though?
Not exactly. Rosalina and Luma are very similar to the Ice Climbers, and they work just fine. And I think I know why. First, Luma doesn't use special moves on it's own. Second, Luma doesn't recover from it's tumbling animation. Third, Luma can't grab or be grabbed. And fourth, Luma has a very simplistic design.
So let's put it all together. Nana (or Popo depending on which pallet you have) could start her tumbling animation at larger knockback than the rest of the cast, but it will result in a KO if she starts tumbling over a pit. Nana could use two jumps on her own if she is separated from Popo, but wouldn't be able to use her special move. Nana's ability to grab, and be grabbed would be removed, making the Ice Climbers less OP, and making it slightly harder to attack Nana. Both Nana and Popo could be 8-bit in the 3Ds version, and 3D on the Wii U.

Making them 8-bit won't help.
Sure it will. They made the Flying Man 8-bit, and now he works fine.
Come on guys! Lets help the Ice Climbers climb the mountain of technical difficulties, and reach the condor that stole their roster slot!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I am honestly hoping the Ice Climbers at E3.
The most unlikely of my returning veterans it would sweet if I got both back.
:4lucas:/:wolf::popo:
I pretty much expect ICies or Wolf at E3 this year for Smash 4 DLC.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wolf for E3.
Ice Climbers for Winter/shortly after the ballot ends.
Three to four new characters for 2017.
A person can dream, can they not?
I'd say probably 2 characters for DLC 2016. We'll have to see what Nintendo does from there.

Nana obviously skipped entering the initial roster line up because she and Popo got married, as you can see that she's wearing a wedding ring now so its totally obv sakurai just lied about them not working on 3ds to keep it on the down low obv
Shoot! I didn't get them a vegetable or something! Lol, would make sense though.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I would believe that they were getting married if they didn't seem more like brother and sister than husband and wife...

Maybe they were preparing their birthday celebrations (cause 2015 is the 30th anniversary of the series)?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I would believe that they were getting married if they didn't seem more like brother and sister than husband and wife...

Maybe they were preparing their birthday celebrations (cause 2015 is the 30th anniversary of the series)?
They're not brother and sister. Nintendo never confirmed their relationship. You can believe they're brother and sister, I'll believe they're friends that like each other.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
They're not brother and sister. Nintendo never confirmed their relationship. You can believe they're brother and sister, I'll believe they're friends that like each other.
This clip from the Melee opening might hint at them being possible lovers.

But it could also just mean they are really close siblings.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
This clip from the Melee opening might hint at them being possible lovers.

But it could also just mean they are really close siblings.
It definately means one of the two.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've always seen them as a couple just because I like the implications of two people who risk life and limb just to have adventures with each other and push their limits while supporting and depending on each other every step of the way.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I see them as twins, they're too identical to be anything else.
My thoughts exactly.

Also to add to that, they feel more like kids than adults due to their height, build and high-toned voices, which hints them being brother and sister more than lovers.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
My thoughts exactly.

Also to add to that, they feel more like kids than adults due to their height, build and high-toned voices, which hints them being brother and sister more than lovers.
I think of them as young lovers. I agree that they're kids yes, but I just find it more fun to think of them as young lovers over siblings. Nevertheless, we all love this little duo, which is why I have created...
image.jpg

I think I may have messed up on the eyes a bit, because I accidentally colored them a full black before realizing that looked horrible, but I know you guys have been waiting for this.

Hope you enjoy!

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'm expecting confirmation on those leaks at E3. Ya know, I'm kinda hoping that the "leaks" aren't true, just so whatever they reveal at E3 would actually be a surprise you know? Leaks kinda suck :crying:.

What is the relationship between these two exactly? Well, perhaps no one really knows for sure. Nintendo apparently left it to the players imagination, while Sakurai initially thought they were lovers.

Oh my goodness. We apparently have a thread for this exact thing. Let me just hook everyone up with the link. (XD I'm sure you all already know about it, I'm probably just wasting time.)
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-relation-between-the-ice-climbers.213180/

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Sometimes I question why people waste their votes on chars which are already in the game (looking at you Daisy... already a Peach alt)

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Sakurai likes to believe that they are lovers, and I can't say I disagree with him for the same reasons Fatmanonice thinks they're a couple.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Has Sakurai ever stated that they were put into Smash as a couple? That heart can just represent their deep bond as loving brother and sister. Also I just recently got a new hat in Streetpass Plaza. Of course, it's the Ice Climber's Hood. I'll be wearing it to show off my support for them and hopefully convince people to consider voting.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Sakurai likes to believe that they are lovers, and I can't say I disagree with him for the same reasons Fatmanonice thinks they're a couple.
I think of the Ice Climbers as brother and sister because my mind doesn't automatically think, "Ur ma gurd they're married! (Or Innamoratae)"

(I also dislike ships. Especially between two Pokémon)

Last edited:
Top Bottom