• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlEX Thread [Brawl with 80+ characters]

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
What is brawlex? it's a mod for brawl developed by Phantom Wings to add movesets to the existing roster. The end goal of Brawl ex is to allow for there to be 100 characters in brawl. As of now, the tools available can add 36 characters to brawl with the additional possibility of also adding the alloys and giga bowser and wario man. This allows for a total of 82 characters so far (including zsamus, sheik and pt's pokemon as separate characters). the reason we don't have 100 is because that data is used by bosses, the forbidden 7, alloys, and so forth and cannot be currently overwritten. This is what Phantom Wings has been working on.

Here's the kcmm thread, use the OP on the link to get info to get started. Or just download a pack below. It's as simple as extracting a zip to an SD card.

(i would suggest that you DO NOT GO THERE FOR QUESTIONS) but instead ask here your common questions about BrawlEX.

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=65113.0

CURRENT AVAILABLE BRAWLEX PACKS FOR DOWNLOAD:
(more to be added in the future)
Code:
Brawl for All: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lkhtlpg6fpv8b3x/qEXvSJsCDA
Pack Creator: Nebulon
VERSION: 1.5

Added Characters:
Tabuu
Bomberman
Dr.Mario
Waluigi
Young Link
Skyward Link
Tails
Knuckles
Shadow
Naruto
Goku
Vegeta
Buu
Broly
Sythe Ike (Balanced and skinned as Hector from FE)
Lucina (Skinned as Lyndis)
Cloud
Sephiroth
Sora
Mickey skin over SSBZ Mario
DeadPool
Dragonite
Gyarados
Gray Fox
MegaMan
PM Mewtwo
Raptor
Ridley
Scott Pilgrim
Spiderman
Wolverine
Viewtiful Joe

MeleeMaster's Mega Moveset Mix: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=202688
Pack Creator: MeleeMaster 500 [me]
VERSION 1.0

Added Characters:
Dr. Mario
Mewtwo
Pichu
Roy
Young Link
Waluigi
Dark Link
Tabuu
Shadow
Tails
Knuckles
Zero
Megaman X
Cloud
Sephiroth
Tifa
Tidus
Sora
Bomberman
Megaman
Lloyd
Scott Pilgrim
2d Marisa
Spiderman
Dudley
Wolverine
Deadpool
Goku
Vegeta
Krillin
Piccolo
Gotenks
Buu
Naruto
Shinda
Alloys 1-4

Brawl GX: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=202715
Pack Creator: Xero874
VERSION 0.01

Added Characters:
Vegeta
Goku
Toon Zelda
Roy
Momiji
Tom Nook
Shadow
Doctor Mario

Last edited:

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
Awesome! I've been messing around with BrawlEX for a while now, and its great to see people releasing huge packs like this! I hope you keep updating this with more packs!

BEW9000

Smash Rookie
How exactly do we start this mod it said to start it like we do with other mods but I use project m and it's not the same.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
If i'm interpretting your question correctly, you want to get a pack working.

all you have to do download a pack and extract it to an SD card (so that private is on the root)

then run the homebrew channel and run the game through gecko OS. if you expect it to run using a non-gomebrew channel, you would require more than just these packs.

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Does this work with 8GB SD cards? I've downloaded the first pack and extracted into the card (with private in the root), but Gecko just takes me to vBrawl

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Actually it gives me a weird stage selection with dozens of hannenbow and pokestadium duplicates

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Just tried, it's giving me the same result. I'm able to load the MegaMoveset pack using PM loader (although it crashed when I tried to play against a CPU, is that not supported?)

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
do you remember which combination of characters caused the crash? try again, as often brawl ex can be glitchy in how the characters are loaded. I've worked hard to iron out most of the crashes, but there will likely always be some...

in other news, phantom wings got online and said he was planning on expanding the character limit from 100 to 128. giving pack developers plenty of leeway to reach the expected 100.

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
do you remember which combination of characters caused the crash? try again, as often brawl ex can be glitchy in how the characters are loaded. I've worked hard to iron out most of the crashes, but there will likely always be some...

in other news, phantom wings got online and said he was planning on expanding the character limit from 100 to 128. giving pack developers plenty of leeway to reach the expected 100.
I believe it was Lucas vs Dark Link but I'm not 100% sure. Crashes or not I and many other smashers I'm sure appreciate the work you guys put in to give us these awesome mods.

But do you have any idea why Brawl for All isn't working for me? The link in your original post doesn't work for it anymore but I'm using the link from a friend of mine who's Wii I've played it on successfully

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
Does this work in a Wii Emulator?
sure does, you just need to follow instructions to get any hack working through gecko on your emu.
basically, get the newest version of dolphin (important!), write a pack to an SD.raw file, change the settings in dolphin to accept the sd file, change the default loading ISO path to brawl, and run the boot.elf of geckoOS via dolphin using the hooktype axnextframe

I believe it was Lucas vs Dark Link but I'm not 100% sure. Crashes or not I and many other smashers I'm sure appreciate the work you guys put in to give us these awesome mods.

But do you have any idea why Brawl for All isn't working for me? The link in your original post doesn't work for it anymore but I'm using the link from a friend of mine who's Wii I've played it on successfully

there's your problem, the dark link hack i included has some problems working with PM. It's reported as crashing before. download this and overwrite existing private folder items. and if it dont work, i'll eventually fix it, if you avoid dark link there should be little to no crashing.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/f23du1ufg51fe5a/dark+link+fix.zip
and try this if you want: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wyq9wt7y25bq2b7/v1.2+patch.zip

so yeah brawl for all's link has changed (IDK why he doesnt just use a brawlvault link. I'll reedit the OP with his new link which is below)

"Brawl For All V2.2 (NEW* TURBO MODE option=curry mode, 3 new characters one of which was heavily edited by me, and updated to Sora's Moveset, and gave Dante a sword Glow among other balancing to clones.)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tfkaph4s1euifm1/oy2WWpZNGd"

forewarning, he says you have to exit out of vs mode after every match or his will freeze.

also, instructions on getting this to work with Riivolution are found around this page in the development thread:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=65113.5655

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
lol thanks but the new link says it's been temporarily disabled (bfa)

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Anyone know what I have to do to get smash stack to work with melee master's pack? I like playing on a backless wii, but I really want to try this pack.

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Anyone know what I have to do to get smash stack to work with melee master's pack? I like playing on a backless wii, but I really want to try this pack.
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'd recommend you hack your Wii. It's noobishly easy and you can do some many things. With Nintendo shutting off it's internet services, the Wii is practically obsolete without hax. I say this because I have a release date Wii and I waited until a few weeks ago before I reluctantly hacked mine

Sammi Husky

Smash Apprentice
Well, i guess i'll pop up around here every now and then since meleemaster advised people not to visit the KC:MM thread.

The only difference between playing hackless is the loading method. You need to have a .gct that disables custom stages, the gecko boot.elf on the root of your SD, and then just have the smashstack.bin file in private/wii/app/RSBE/st/. If you have those things any pack should work peachy.

As a side note for those who would rather not use the PM launcher for whatever reason, i haven't really had time to test this 100% yet, however one of our developers in the Minus BR made a little thing called "The Minima Launcher". It should allow you to load your hacks with SDHC support like the PM launcher (provided you use the SDHC code) as well as automatically includes the gameconfig.txt for Smash and a few other games that require it. For Hackless just put the boot.elf on the root of your sdcard, rather then the gecko one.

I'll be around to answer general BrawlEx questions if they're necessary.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Well, i guess i'll pop up around here every now and then since meleemaster advised people not to visit the KC:MM thread.

The only difference between playing hackless is the loading method. You need to have a .gct that disables custom stages, the gecko boot.elf on the root of your SD, and then just have the smashstack.bin file in private/wii/app/RSBE/st/. If you have those things any pack should work peachy.

As a side note for those who would rather not use the PM launcher for whatever reason, i haven't really had time to test this 100% yet, however one of our developers in the Minus BR made a little thing called "The Minima Launcher". It should allow you to load your hacks with SDHC support like the PM launcher (provided you use the SDHC code) as well as automatically includes the gameconfig.txt for Smash and a few other games that require it. For Hackless just put the boot.elf on the root of your sdcard, rather then the gecko one.

Perfect, great help, great pack, thank you.

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
So I redownloaded Brawl For All, but it's still not working for me. I extracted the rar and copied the codes, apps, boot.elf, config.dat, gameconfig, and installer to the root of my SD. Then I load the HBC (with the SD inserted of course) enter the PM loader and click Play. Brawl plays with the default character list and a funky stage selection screen with several Hanenbows. Am I doing everything correctly? Also I noticed a config folder in my apps (from BFA) that contains a boot.dol, what is that for? I'd appreciate any help as I've played BFA on a friend's Wii and enjoyed it

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
So I redownloaded Brawl For All, but it's still not working for me. I extracted the rar and copied the codes, apps, boot.elf, config.dat, gameconfig, and installer to the root of my SD. Then I load the HBC (with the SD inserted of course) enter the PM loader and click Play. Brawl plays with the default character list and a funky stage selection screen with several Hanenbows. Am I doing everything correctly? Also I noticed a config folder in my apps (from BFA) that contains a boot.dol, what is that for? I'd appreciate any help as I've played BFA on a friend's Wii and enjoyed it
it should be working. hannenbows mean that it's not replacing the stages perfectly. So maybe you already had a hack on your sd. Id consider removing all semblance of any brawl files and redownload his pack again. idk what the boot.dol is. pm him if you need further help: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?action=profile;u=28884

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Thanks I'll try a few things. I do have other hacks on the card but I always put them in folders when I'm not using them so they're off the root. I've had no problems loading PM and your MegaMovesetMix which is what confuses me more

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Ok it's definitely the card size. I found an old 2gb card and the hax worked perfectly. Don't know why the MM Ex worked on my 8gb though. It'd be nice if there was a way to load from larger cards, is that possible or is anyone working on making it so?
I feel like these Brawl hacks should all come with a "2gb or lower" disclaimer

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Meleemaster, on your pack, is it possible for me to replace the alloys with PSAs? Do they have to be PSAs of the alloys specifically and are PSAs over alloys allowed B moves?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
Ok it's definitely the card size. I found an old 2gb card and the hax worked perfectly. Don't know why the MM Ex worked on my 8gb though. It'd be nice if there was a way to load from larger cards, is that possible or is anyone working on making it so?
I feel like these Brawl hacks should all come with a "2gb or lower" disclaimer
ah so the reason is because his pack probably doesn't have a SDHC code so that 4gb+ cards work

Meleemaster, on your pack, is it possible for me to replace the alloys with PSAs? Do they have to be PSAs of the alloys specifically and are PSAs over alloys allowed B moves?
yep, but you're limited, as you said, to PSAs specifically for the alloys (which weren't good enough for me to choose to include)

none can add b moves or grabbing.

imma follow the newest breakthroughs on the scene for my own pack to add the extra characters which previously were unavailable. That, or if PW finishes his improvement which will allow an easy total 100 characters.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
ah so the reason is because his pack probably doesn't have a SDHC code so that 4gb+ cards work

yep, but you're limited, as you said, to PSAs specifically for the alloys (which weren't good enough for me to choose to include)

none can add b moves or grabbing.

imma follow the newest breakthroughs on the scene for my own pack to add the extra characters which previously were unavailable. That, or if PW finishes his improvement which will allow an easy total 100 characters.
Awesome, can't wait to see what you make.

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Is there a way to easily put an SDHC (which I'm assuming stands for high capacity?) code into other packs somehow, or does it require some serious modding skills? Your pack is actually the only one that's worked on 8+ besides PM.

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
3 ways:
-some modders include their codelist in which case you just insert the sdhc code in and recompile the gct.
-beg the creator to add it
-use a special software that adds codes to existing gct. idk the name, but i know it exists

the first two rely on the creator of the mod being the person that actually put together their pack's codeset,

also, they might only be using the certain file patch code needed for brawlex. if so then you can compile your own code with that code, sdhc code and anything else

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
3 ways:
-some modders include their codelist in which case you just insert the sdhc code in and recompile the gct.
-beg the creator to add it
-use a special software that adds codes to existing gct. idk the name, but i know it exists

the first two rely on the creator of the mod being the person that actually put together their pack's codeset,

also, they might only be using the certain file patch code needed for brawlex. if so then you can compile your own code with that code, sdhc code and anything else
K I'll have to research those options. Thanks for all your help btw didn't mean to pester ya with so many questions lol

TheToastyKnight

Smash Rookie

Hey, it'd be awesome if you could help me out. So I tried to do what you said, and when I go to the stage creator it loads the game, but when I enter it's just normal Brawl, no changes or extra characters in the CSS. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong but it'd be awesome if you could help me figure this out. Thanks.

Sammi Husky

Smash Apprentice
Interesting, the first question i would ask you is if you have everything setup in the right directory. Codes in /Codes/ and everything else in Private/wii/app/rsbe/pf

I also would need to know if your using gecko? and if you are, make sure your hooktype in settings is set to axnextframe

TheToastyKnight

Smash Rookie
Interesting, the first question i would ask you is if you have everything setup in the right directory. Codes in /Codes/ and everything else in Private/wii/app/rsbe/pf

I also would need to know if your using gecko? and if you are, make sure your hooktype in settings is set to axnextframe
Thanks so much for replying dude, that's really awesome!
But I did manage to get it to work on my own.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Pikezer's pack is rather popular on the vault right now. It's got some freezes and CSS switches, but is also damn awesome.

Sammi Husky

Smash Apprentice
Melee master, i just thought i would let you know that you have doubles of each characters cosmetic config in your download. This will make the tool mess up kinda bad, as it will read it as another clone whose other files don't exist. You cosmetic folder seems to be layed out like this

comsetic3F.dat
Cosmetic3F.dat.bak

for each one. Those .bak files actually can't be in there or it won't work correctly. Just letting you know in case you try using my tool and run into that problem

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
yeah it does run into a problem... but it seems to do that for other previously made packs as well. i originally made mine using your tool, so idk why it has those. I guess I'll try deleting whatever's there.

Sammi Husky

Smash Apprentice
I downloaded your pack to assess the state of the tool, find bugs, etc etc. In addition to the extra files in the cosmetic folder, it indeed was having a problem with having a differing number of configs between folders.

I've already fixed and patched it, i should release 0.75a tomorrow with bug fixes and a few improvements.

Last edited:

Slashy

Smash Lord
Can someone help me? I am trying to add Tails to Brawl Minus, but I dont know how to add a character. When I add the resource files to the BrawlEX folder, how do I link it to the module and fighter files?

Sammi Husky

Smash Apprentice
Can someone help me? I am trying to add Tails to Brawl Minus, but I dont know how to add a character. When I add the resource files to the BrawlEX folder, how do I link it to the module and fighter files?

Im the dev at minus who manages all the BrawlEx stuff. Everything regarding the clone engine is already setup (in the latest version).

the only thing you need to do is use my tool to open the PF folder for minus, add the clone that tails goes over, change the clone name to "Tails", put all fighter files for the clone from the brawl disc into a folder. Then use the mass renamer to select the folder you put those files in and rename all the fighter files to "Tails", then edit your module file's section[8] to use the slot your clone is in. Last but not least, add the folder (which you should name "Tails") to the pf/fighter/ directory

Then the last thing you have to do is edit the CSS code to add tails to the roster, which im going to assume you already know how to do. If not, i have a rather old tutorial on the clone engine that used our MAX release as an example and included editing the CSS code. But most everything else in that video has changed since we removed the conflcting codes

Last edited:
Top Bottom