• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Yeah i'm still getting that problem. I remade the texture and i saved it as PC and a PAC and then i tried to use snakes nades with my texture and it froze.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Yes, it can. Your common 5 has to be named 'Common5.pac', omitting the '_en' part. If you are experiencing issues, please note which texture(s) you are replacing. You can also remove/rename the common5 file to make sure that it's the one freezing the game.
I replaced one of the CSS named, and replaced the HANDICAP to buffer. It freezes when I try to enter it. Do you want my PAC file?

Kryal

Smash Ace
I replaced one of the CSS named, and replaced the HANDICAP to buffer. It freezes when I try to enter it. Do you want my PAC file?
I replaced the texture as well and had no problems. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, or right...

Go ahead and send it to me if you like, I'll take a look at it.

Kryal

Smash Ace
here is the link to the files I have a problem with the snake ones.
Okay, a few things. This file was built with an older version of the program that doesn't support CHR animations. The files were misaligned, causing the string references to get corrupted. Your textures were fine with the exception of one that was the incorrect size, not that it mattered much. Everything AFTER the textures was messed up, which is why using a grenade would freeze the game. I've rebuilt the file with the textures using v0.55 and it works fine.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dntthmmzyin

One suggestion for anyone who is having problems with their files is to restore the original, and remake it with the newest version. Make sure your textures are the same size and format as the originals.

shukakusand

Smash Rookie
I can't wait until we can replace .mdl0 files!
I want to do something no one has done yet.

Anyways, great job so far!

Kryal

Smash Ace
New version, now with super-speed compression! Rebuilding the entire Common5 takes less than 10 seconds. Also added support for TGA images.

Now that the texture portion is mostly done, I can start moving on to other areas. Stay tuned!

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
I tried to eat a bag of chips while I waited for the compression...but I couldn't even open it in time. I put the bag of chips back in the pantry.

Right now, i'm dealing with some magenta issues, where the magenta colours show up in the game, instead of the transparent effect. It's nothing to do with your awesome SmashBox though. I'm using the CSP pack from the texture sticky thread.

I can't say excellent work, because that doesn't do justice. :D

EDIT:

What I can say is CAPTAIN FALCON APPROVES EVERYTHING YOU DO. :bee: SmashBox's speed continues to flabbergast me.

As well, thanks for the advice. I wasn't expecting you to respond, because I though this was an issue concerning me not following instructions correctly, not the images themselves.

I'm gonna keep watching this thread and see what amazing things you do with SmashBox.

TGA file support confirmed for anyone who reads this post.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Right now, i'm dealing with some magenta issues, where the magenta colours show up in the game, instead of the transparent effect... I'm using the CSP pack from the texture sticky thread.
Hmm. I see what you mean. The images in the CSP pack have a magenta background instead of being transparent, which is rather peculiar. I wonder if this is the same issue lavamage was having.

What you can do is open them in your photo editor, delete the magenta parts (magic wand), and save them back as a png or tga (32-bit). SmashBox will re-create the palettes for you with the added transparency.

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
GOT IT.

I wanted a Wind Waker Toon Link texture and portrait. Texture is easy. Portrait was a bit harder.

I used GIMP for photo editing. I referenced TheEnigmaLiesBroken's guide for editing TGA up to Step 9, but didn't add any magenta background to it as you said. I saved as a TGA. file, used SmashBox, replace portrait, and finally got the portrait without a magenta background or outline.

You probably know about the guide, but here's a link: http://board.gscentral.org/showpost.php?p=143498&postcount=291

EDIT:

I heard that CUPASH was the first program used to create the portraits for Brawl. (I've never actually used it, so I don't know if this is correct) I can however use a photo editor in conjunction with SmashBox 0.56 to create new portraits, no CUPASH required. I've just added a Toon Ganondorf texture and portrait to my game, and it works fine.

To me, this is a huge relief, since I read the CUPASH tutorial once and I gave up on following it halfway through. SmashBox is the bomb! (In a good way)

ShadyGT

Smash Cadet
THX, i realy love this tool, it makes a lot of stuff so easy now =)

But i still have some question:
1. It already can open brsar files, would it be possible to extract/ replace the sound files, so pal users could the PAL voices with the Japanese?
2. Would it be possible to select more than 1 file and extract/ replace them
3. Would it be possible to extract/ replace folder(?), for example FitDeDeDe00.pac the Texture[NW4R] folder wich contains all the texture stuff

I have not read the full thread so far, so i dunno if something of those question already were answered.

ShadyGT

Kryal

Smash Ace
1. It already can open brsar files, would it be possible to extract/ replace the sound files, so pal users could the PAL voices with the Japanese?
I'm already pulling sound files out of the brsar. Right now I'm working on getting audio playback and better file organization.

2. Would it be possible to select more than 1 file and extract/ replace them
3. Would it be possible to extract/ replace folder(?), for example FitDeDeDe00.pac the Texture[NW4R] folder wich contains all the texture stuff
Extract/replace folder might be a good idea. I'll look into it.

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
I'm already pulling sound files out of the brsar. Right now I'm working on getting audio playback and better file organization.

Extract/replace folder might be a good idea. I'll look into it.
Good luck on this dude, waiting to be able to get's Roy's voice clips/sword swing sfxs and such into B+ :D

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
Afterward I have an idea, but I'll see you, if you would like to. To be able to have the option of "open with" right on the tex0 file IN smashbox. That means NO exporting or replacing, just edit the tex0 from there. would it be possible?

timothyung

Smash Ace
Seems to have problem recompiling common5.pac/sc_selmap_en/Type1[80]/Textures(NW4R). (The stage icons/names). When something inside that part is replaced, it will freeze at the SSS if I use that pac.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Afterward I have an idea, but I'll see you, if you would like to. To be able to have the option of "open with" right on the tex0 file IN smashbox. That means NO exporting or replacing, just edit the tex0 from there. would it be possible?
It would definitely be possible. Basically, the program would create a temporary file and open the associated program. When the program closes, it would check the file for changes and replace it if there were.

Seems to have problem recompiling common5.pac/sc_selmap_en/Type1[80]/Textures(NW4R). (The stage icons/names). When something inside that part is replaced, it will freeze at the SSS if I use that pac.
Is these a specific one that is having problems, or all of them? I've replaced stage icons successfully before, and rebuilding the Type1[80] file creates an exact copy. You can also send me the file if you like.

Sorry I've been so inactive lately, working on audio processing has been a new subject for me and I've been working on that for the last few weeks. On the plus side, I've managed to decode 99% of the brstm format and about 80% of brsar. I'm very close to releasing the next version, which will allow for playback and export of the embedded sound effects.

Kryal

Smash Ace
New version! The main focus here is audio processing. Also, make sure you have the latest version of DirectX 9, because the audio controls use it. Brsar files are still a work in progress though, so please be patient.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
New version! The main focus here is audio processing. Also, make sure you have the latest version of DirectX 9, because the audio controls use it. Brsar files are still a work in progress though, so please be patient.
Excellent. You sir are win. ;)

Time for testing...

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
Would it be possible to import some of the brstm/brsar files from melee into brawl? If this isn't possible now, will it be in the near future?

So for example, could you import Roy's or Mewtwo's voice clips into brawl for Marth or Lucario respectively?

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
Would it be possible to import some of the brstm/brsar files from melee into brawl? If this isn't possible now, will it be in the near future?

So for example, could you import Roy's or Mewtwo's voice clips into brawl for Marth or Lucario respectively?
From what I know, In this version you CANNOT import audio, only export it, and you cannot import audio as a separate file, you can only replace audio. In theory, if you had the audio clips from melee of Mewtwo or Roy, and in the new version you could replace the sound, you absolutely could. However, I have dabbled in the PSA character editor, and i know there is some problem with sound effects, like they only last the length of the animation of the attack you are doing, so that may be a problem here as well.

Awesome job with the new updates, this is still my favorite program to come out of the Brawl hacking community.

Edit: where do you find the sound files?

Kryal

Smash Ace
Also one problem: why, when you import the png file it looks all choopy for certain TEX0 types (CMPR, RBG565, ect.)
The program will show you what the texture will look like AFTER conversion. When you convert a 32-bit image (RGBA8) down to a 16-bit image (RGB565) you will lose some quality. CMPR is a 16-bit format that generates a small palette for each 4x4 square.

I would like to be able to change the image formats in the files, because then the user can have a better quality image format if they choose. This would also mean that the file would be larger, and would increase loading times.

Kryal

Smash Ace

Everything is definitely possible, but kind of up in the air at this moment. We'll see how it turns out when I try rebuilding the brsar.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Kryal, any chance of getting command line support? I'm not sure what the syntax would be, but it would be cool to be able to write programs that use the replacement ability of SmashBox to batch replace files and textures.

Also, raw file replacement plz :D

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
The program will show you what the texture will look like AFTER conversion. When you convert a 32-bit image (RGBA8) down to a 16-bit image (RGB565) you will lose some quality. CMPR is a 16-bit format that generates a small palette for each 4x4 square.

I would like to be able to change the image formats in the files, because then the user can have a better quality image format if they choose. This would also mean that the file would be larger, and would increase loading times.
Alright, thanks for the help you've given.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
So you can edit already made textures with this? I tried to edit a strap loader but it doesn't work in my game. I just resized some png files to match those in the strap.

Kryal

Smash Ace
So you can edit already made textures with this? I tried to edit a strap loader but it doesn't work in my game. I just resized some png files to match those in the strap.
If you've downloaded a texture in pac/pcs format you can open it and export/replace the textures.

Strap loader? What file would this be?

Alphatron

Smash Champion
The screen that comes up telling you to put the wiimote strap around your wrist.

And I think I may have guessed my problem. After I edited the exported images, I was saving them as png. files and then putting them back in.

Kryal

Smash Ace
The screen that comes up telling you to put the wiimote strap around your wrist.

And I think I may have guessed my problem. After I edited the exported images, I was saving them as png. files and then putting them back in.
Ahh. I haven't edited the strap loader before. You got it working I hope?

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
great program! thanx very much.

i always get errors in cupash and prefer this smashboxV57.exe.
i would love a short tutorial on transparency for csp's, please
i would love to see the csp's i have made without a white or magenta backgroud when playing.
i have read through this topic and searched here and google with search features provided,

but to no surprise , since i very 'green' to this, i havent gotten the transparency feature working for me.
i would love a short tutorial on transparency for csp's, please
i can and have tried tiff, tga(and the 32bit.tga), and png , but i always get magenta, black or white... i know im doing somethin wrong with the csp's. i just dont know what im doin' wrong.

71 colors max for most characters ,47 for game and watch, they always replace fine and show up on screen but nevr transparent. i dont use codes or geckoOS... i always use USB thumbdrive with my original boughten full brawl iso dumped with friidump and runs great for evrything never freezes, no trouble , no bunt disks, altered regularily with the newest textures made or found....many from here.

i have adobe cs4 and gimp but i use photoshop v10 cs3 and created my own character textures , straploader screens, and can and have altered many other texture's with smashbox.exe...its awesome and easy to use and fast. thanx very much .

i cant wait to try editing the sound now... but 1st i wanna transparent csp.

thanx for the time and trouble of sharing smashbox with me... and thanx in advance for any aid you can give me with my transparency problem.

: playhard,modsoft:

Kryal

Smash Ace
markehmus, if you're getting magenta CSPs, then you're most likely using pre-made CSPs designed for cupash. These textures aren't transparent, they actually do have a magenta background. This is how cupash generates a palette from 32/24-bit images with one transparent color.

What you will need to do is open these images in Photoshop, use the magic wand to select the magenta portions, and then delete them. This way you end up with a true transparent background. Sometimes you need to right-click the background layer in Photoshop and then 'Promote to layer' so that it can use transparency. Save these images as 32-bit tga or png, and import them with SmashBox.

As a rule, always use 32-bit images for your textures. This way you can import textures with multiple transparent colors. Many programs don't fully support transparent palettes, so it may be easier to let SmashBox create the palette for you. Gimp is the only program I've seen that doesn't care so much.

When the project moves along a bit more, I'll have time to write documentation. Until then, I'll try to help as best I can.

markehmus

Smash Apprentice
great thanx maybe its because i mostly use 8bit... hhuuummm **** me.
i even magic wanded the magenta out of many already but got white or black, even with a transpart color block in the 71 color block (i only used 70 colors and 1 transparent)

thank you so much for the response ...i am going to try it rite now, i want to work well with smashbox its greater the cupash IMO
(even thought i just spent 12 more hrs today in cupash and figured out the transparency thing for cupashing,some older tutorials suck.)

i agree with the comment above you have done a wonderfull thing with smashbox, thank you.

Top Bottom