• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Iso Compressed to Single Layer, Implications?

FlyingFrenchman

Smash Apprentice
I have been casually been tinkering around with Brawl modding for a good while now, including some iso hacking (it is ripped from my own commercial copy of brawl, please don't ask me how to do this, I'm not entirely sure on the rules concerning discussing this, if what I'm saying is in violation, please say something, and I'll edit it out asap).

Anywho, I managed to compress it down to a single layer dvd, mostly by cutting out the subspace videos. Would this remove the inability to access strictly single player material from multiplayer brawls (subspace stages, fighting polygons, subspace exclusive textures, even subspace bosses?), or is it a limitation other than the dual layer aspect causing this?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Actually, people have just taken the uncompressed Brawl and burned it to a single layer DVD, and just discarding anything that didn't fit, and I heard that their copies worked pretty good.

Removing anything will probably CAUSE errors, but if you REPLACE it with a smaller thing by the same name, then you're fine...at least I believe thats how it went.

-DD

BKonch

Smash Rookie
my guess is that the only way to know would be to test out your modded iso. do you have it uploaded to a filesharing site yet?

FlyingFrenchman

Smash Apprentice
Actually, people have just taken the uncompressed Brawl and burned it to a single layer DVD, and just discarding anything that didn't fit, and I heard that their copies worked pretty good.

Removing anything will probably CAUSE errors, but if you REPLACE it with a smaller thing by the same name, then you're fine...at least I believe thats how it went.

-DD
Yeah, all of the videos are replaced with a single frame of snake hiding in a box. It works perfectly, even in subspace where I reduced the majority of my files.

I was just wondering specifically if this would allow me to access single mode specific material in multiplayer

camelot

Smash Ace
The Alloys aren't part of SSE, you can tell because there are codes to play as them in multiplayer.

All bosses are part of SSE, though, including the stages they're on (even the Final Destination you play on vs. Master/Crazy Hand are separate).

Basically SSE and boss battles are the only things that have SSE at all.

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
FlyingFrenchman, can you help me out with this? I've ripped my iso to my usb from my own copy and then using wiiscrubber 1.4 I switched out American voices with Japanese. The only problem is that I can't seem to replace any of the subspace files with smaller ones. It just doesn't work. The voices work fine but when I try to replace the videos nothing happens. It's really annoying to have brawl take up like 7 gigs on my usb. Thanks in advance.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I don't think the real issue ever was that the subspace stuff is on a different layer of the disc (though it is true that it is). I remember reading about people moving the files to the other side (by just re-arranging files), and it didn't make a difference. Subspace in general is a fundamentally really different mode from versus; I think everything is just formatted differently in it. You can tell something is up when you notice how much worse many of the characters are at basic jumping around (look at Sonic's up special, and it's really obvious), and you also notice that there is no random tripping in subspace (really!). If you're wanting to use the subspace levels in versus mode, I would guess that the first step would be figuring out what's different between the stage files for subspace areas and normal stages. If you knew that, you could change the appropriate values on the subspace versions of stages and would hypothetically be able to access it on versus. That would probably require a good amount of knowledge of the contents of those files in general; it would be no small task to say the least...

Of course, my actual programming ability is limited at best so I can hardly claim to be an expert, but based on everything I've read on the issue, this seems to be the most plausible situation.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Here's how I did it:

1. Extract all files from partition 2 into a folder.
2. Use a batch script to replace all videos with '2006_Wii.thp', except for OPMovie.thp. (Unless you don't care about the opening movie.
3. Use Partition Builder to create a partition using your newly-changed data folder. (Comes with WiiScrubber)
4. Use WiiScrubber to replace partition 2 with your new partition. (Load Partition)
5. Shuffle Partitions, to 'defragment' the partitions to one spot.

-Important-
WiiScrubber does not resize the image file to reflect the new data size. Your image will still be 8.3GB even though it only consists of 4.3GB of data. You will need to resize the file manually.

6. Close and reload the image file and look at the last data section. Write down the ending 'address' of the data, this is the end of the disc. It will be something like [0x107BCFFFF].
7. Find a hex editor that has a 'file resize' tool (most do).
8. Open your modified image in a the hex editor and tell it to resize the file.

This is where you'll need that large number. Take that number and add one (0x107BCFFFF + 1 = 0x107BD0000). This will be your new file size. Yours will most likely be different than mine, but it's just an example. You may need to use the calculator to convert the number to/from hex.

9. Save the image and burn it!

Here's an example script to replace the videos:

PowerShell
Code:
filter Process()
{
    PROCESS
    {
        if($_.Name -eq "OPMovie.thp") {write-host " Skipping: OPMovie.thp";return}
        write-host $("Replacing: " + $_.Name)
        copy-item "Dummy.thp" $_.FullName
    }
}

get-item data\movie\* -include *.thp | Process
Batch
Code:
@echo off
for %%G in (%~dp0Data\movie\*.thp) do call :_replace "%%G"
pause
goto :eof

:_replace

::Skip opening movie
if "%~nx1" EQU "OPMovie.thp" goto :eof

echo Replacing "%~1"
copy /y "%~dp0Dummy.thp" "%~1"
goto :eof
ALL parts of the game work. The only difference is the videos (and possibly emulators).

Top Bottom