• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser ledgegrab issue

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
5-6 times in the last week, Bowser tried to grab a ledge but immediately after grabbing the ledge (within a couple frames by estimate) he let go of the edge without gaining invincibility. It has usually occurred from regular ledge grabs, but also from bowser bomb to ledge once.

Has happened in training mode as well as standard stock smash with blastzones/normal knockback. Infrequent, but could easily cause SD's if the player does not react very quickly.

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
5-6 times in the last week, Bowser tried to grab a ledge but immediately after grabbing the ledge (within a couple frames by estimate) he let go of the edge without gaining invincibility. It has usually occurred from regular ledge grabs, but also from bowser bomb to ledge once.

Has happened in training mode as well as standard stock smash with blastzones/normal knockback. Infrequent, but could easily cause SD's if the player does not react very quickly.
This glitch isn't Bowser specific. I've had this happen with Kirby as well and another character who I can't remember. Hopefully it gets fixed.

Magus420

Smash Master
This happens if the ledge grab box extends further underneath the character than the point where they trigger a floor collision during an animation, and you come down near the floor with the ledge box in range before triggering a landing. Not exactly sure what happens, but I think the floor being inbetween you and the edge when it goes to snap you onto it causes the ledgegrab to cancel, but you still warp to it. If you turn debug on (L+R -> D-PadDown), and turn on model collision display (Y -> DpadLeft) and Ledgebox display (Y -> DpadRight), you can check if the bottom orange dot is above the green ledgebox at any point during an animation. If it is, this ledgegrab cancel bug can likely happen during it.

Kirby's up-b right before dropping has his bottom collision rise above the ledgebox, which allows this bug to happen during it. If you come across it happening on something, note the animation they were in when going for the edge and check if the box dips underneath it during it. Most of these cases were caught before release, but not all of them (they're easily fixed by just shifting the animation slightly so they land before trying to ledgegrab).

I know of Kirby upward up-b and Bowser down-b having the ledge under the bottom collision. If you can find more animations please post them so they can be fixed!

Last edited:
For a moment, I thought I was the only who came across this. I'm glad I'm not on the brink insanity. It's happened to my Bowser 3 times over wifi.

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
@ Magus420 Magus420
Bowser's up-b when moving from the ground to the air and grabbing the ledge (as in fortress hogging) causes the bug.
It seems especially frequent when bowser is extremely close to the ledge. I've been able to create it seven or eight times in real time in the last hour on battlefield, but have not been able to reproduce it going frame by frame or find an error in collision or grab boxes on whirling fortress' animation. The closest I've gotten to seeing misaligned boxes is using up-b from the very edge of the stage, directing it off stage for one frame, then back towards the ledge for the rest of the animation.

Hope it helps, I'll keep looking for a way to reproduce it every time and find the issue so that it can be fixed more easily.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember the exact stages, but I've had this happen as Mario, ganon, marth, falcon, and fox on a few occasions. I honestly thought I just accidentally hit down, it happens frequently on brawl FD and other boss-fight stages.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Reposting from the subreddit: this frequently happens to me when I'm in Bowser's tumble animation. Not sure if it matters whether or not I tech.

Johnohue

Smash Cadet
I've noticed this only when land in tumble near the edge sometimes. Haven't had it happen over fortress hogging though

Stan Sasquatch

Smash Rookie
New to Smashboards and not sure if this is what you're asking, but 90% of my ganon games on Lylat cruise result in having my up b cancelling when near sweetspot recovering, you have to react and up b again- sometimes the glitch(?) happens more than once in a row! Good luck :)

Top Bottom