• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boost Kick Option Select - Now with Video!

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323

So, I've been keeping tabs on this for a while (and making some attempts before the videos were made) and I think I've finally constructed a decent option select for ZSS:

Shield (then release)
Control Stick Down (then release)
Up B
Delay
A

Option 1 - You are struck and you perfect shield. Result: Boost Kick
Option 2A - You are struck and you fail to perfect shield. Result: Jab
Option 2B - You are struck by a move with a lot of hit lag. Result: Jab
Option 3 - Your foe whiffs. Result: Spot Dodge

I'm also wondering if certain moves become viable as OoS responses if you perfect shield. Option selecting move + jab may yield safer ways to hit down smash and such. It should be noted that Sheik will get struck by this option select's boost kick unless they auto cancel perfectly or delay perfectly to exactly avoid landing lag.

This is easy to practice in training by spawning a bomb and letting it walk toward you. It's can be perfect shielded and will trigger the option select. I don't have a great way to ... purposefully not perfect shield... heh.

Oh, and if you don't want to spot dodge on whiff or alter if you do or not, just remove the down input. It'll work either way. Anyways, I'll continue to work on this with respect to responses OoS.

Oh look, a video! What's that, it has mild production value? Radical!

Last edited:

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
This is pretty brilliant, can't wait to try it out. I was trying to workout in my head why you wouldn't always spot dodge using this methodology, but now I just realized that its because you're releasing shield before pressing down, so if you powershield, it would probably register as a crouch, but in the case of a whiff you'd still be considered in shield so the spot dodge would come out. And if you don't powershield the shieldlag prevents the spotdodge input from registering. Very very well done Tuen.

Also, I always practice my power shield option selects by going to Boxing Ring and standing outside the ring, spawning a green shell, and throwing it at the wall. You can powershield or standard shield that with no problem.

*EDIT: Before this, I was just doing a simple shield > immediate up B OS. The up B would come out for a powershield but not a regular shield. The issue with this was that if the attack whiffed or didn't come out at all, i'd up B anyways. Tuen's method is great in that it covers this scenario as well.

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
This is pretty brilliant, can't wait to try it out. I was trying to workout in my head why you wouldn't always spot dodge using this methodology, but now I just realized that its because you're releasing shield before pressing down, so if you powershield, it would probably register as a crouch, but in the case of a whiff you'd still be considered in shield so the spot dodge would come out. And if you don't powershield the shieldlag prevents the spotdodge input from registering. Very very well done Tuen.

Also, I always practice my power shield option selects by going to Boxing Ring and standing outside the ring, spawning a green shell, and throwing it at the wall. You can powershield or standard shield that with no problem.

*EDIT: Before this, I was just doing a simple shield > immediate up B OS. The up B would come out for a powershield but not a regular shield. The issue with this was that if the attack whiffed or didn't come out at all, i'd up B anyways. Tuen's method is great in that it covers this scenario as well.
Actually, I believe that the crouch input is "eaten" by the perfect shield flash + hitstun. This is also why for moves with very long hitstun (falcon punch) you'll likely see the up B input get nullified too, leaving you with just the jab remaining.

T-Loc

Smash Rookie
Does this work the same with tap jump?

I'm assuming it works because the shield drop animation comes out before the OoS upB goes out?

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Does this work the same with tap jump?

I'm assuming it works because the shield drop animation comes out before the OoS upB goes out?
Yes and no, actually.

As written above, yes, this will work. However, it's less flexible. If you want to drop the dodge input (maybe fearing a prediction or something and you want a faster jab on whiff), you can't with tap jump on.

Shield (then release)
Up B

Yields boost kick regardless of your opponent's action. Which makes it less of an option select and more of a boost kick select. The exception is perfect shielding a large hitlag move. That'll nullify the Up B input and yield you another action (maybe jab?).

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I'm trying to figure this stuff out I was in training and just simulating the stuff in your video @ Dr. Tuen Dr. Tuen . I don't want to naive and ignorant and juse assume because it looks similar to your video that I am actually pulling it off correctly.

So I guess it's a matter of putting all the inputs in.

What's the double * beside up b on the input list mean, is that just what is the special option is from a PS? Me learning this and incorporating it into my game will be 2 entirely different beasts that will require taming.

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
I'm trying to figure this stuff out I was in training and just simulating the stuff in your video @ Dr. Tuen Dr. Tuen . I don't want to naive and ignorant and juse assume because it looks similar to your video that I am actually pulling it off correctly.

So I guess it's a matter of putting all the inputs in.

What's the double * beside up b on the input list mean, is that just what is the special option is from a PS? Me learning this and incorporating it into my game will be 2 entirely different beasts that will require taming.
The stars on the up B were from when I thought "Jump up B" was required, and I was going to detail the difference between adding or subtracting the jump... so, it's an error.

I suppose the best way to see if this is working is to do the inputs without anything hitting you and confirm that you get a spot dodge. Then do it when something hits you and see that you get boost kick. I haven't managed to use it in a match yet, it's still too hard for me to use it when I'm concentrating on an active opponent.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
The stars on the up B were from when I thought "Jump up B" was required, and I was going to detail the difference between adding or subtracting the jump... so, it's an error.

I suppose the best way to see if this is working is to do the inputs without anything hitting you and confirm that you get a spot dodge. Then do it when something hits you and see that you get boost kick. I haven't managed to use it in a match yet, it's still too hard for me to use it when I'm concentrating on an active opponent.
Yeah exactly this entity requires a great deal of presence of mind and tech since to ensure you don't just flub it and end up inputting random things that get you punished. So many things like that I am pretty sure after 3 days of changing c-stick to attack I have yet to do let alone attempt to PP uptilt through people to see what results I can get from it.

Debating having someone roll up a newspaper and smacking me on the head whenever I forget important things during matches...

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Yeah exactly this entity requires a great deal of presence of mind and tech since to ensure you don't just flub it and end up inputting random things that get you punished. So many things like that I am pretty sure after 3 days of changing c-stick to attack I have yet to do let alone attempt to PP uptilt through people to see what results I can get from it.

Debating having someone roll up a newspaper and smacking me on the head whenever I forget important things during matches...
Back when I played table tennis, whenever I would mess up a new shot I was going for, I would jam the handle into my thigh. I would get bruises from doing this, but every time I felt that pain during a match, it made me remember the exact technique I was trying to perfect. So even though I was in the middle of a match, I would be reminded to concentrate on my actual technique and not just trying to hit the ball.

It worked for me.

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Back when I played table tennis, whenever I would mess up a new shot I was going for, I would jam the handle into my thigh. I would get bruises from doing this, but every time I felt that pain during a match, it made me remember the exact technique I was trying to perfect. So even though I was in the middle of a match, I would be reminded to concentrate on my actual technique and not just trying to hit the ball.

It worked for me.
I've done exercise punishment games. Kind of a Rock Lee kind of thing. I WILL DO 100 OPTION SELECTS. IF I DO NOT, I WILL DO 50 PUSH UPS. etc etc. Though as I first learn a technique, it's more like... mess up and do 2 push ups... since I'm bound to mess up a lot.

ALSO.

The most recent option select video in the Tourney Locator series is freaking AMAZING. Attack-based option selects! If you get a hit, your next move comes out immediately! I'm going to start researching uses for flip kick and down smash setups. Updates will come here as I learn more!

Top Bottom