• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomberman Explodes In Smash 4! We Await for Results

Do you support Bomberman?

• Total voters

Shök

Smash Champion
Sent my vote for Bomberman! It would be really awesome to have him in Smash!

Banana Waffle Deed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sapsiper
3DS FC
1263-6961-7801
I was worried this thread was dead. I really want to vote for Bomberman but I would feel bad if I used other computers get the vote in. :p

I may try to lure my friend into voting for Bomberman because as much as I know, she doesn't really care about which characters are picked as newcomers.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I've been thinking and what I think would be a cool idea for reviving the series:

A Bomberman Hero style Shirobon is reprising his role as interstellar policeman/general goody goody when he comes across a planet being invaded by a horde of killer robots. They have all the same abilities he does and, while his skills and training are greater, he simply cannot compete with their sheer numbers.
Instead, he must don their armour and infiltrate their base to take the factory and training facility down from within.

The game would use mechanics similar to Bomberman 64 to allow it to alternate between classic top down Bomberman battles and platforming segments which would this time involve stealth elements and thus put a heavy emphasis on knocking out foes before killing them. The sound of bombs would not give you away because it's expected within the facility.
During these stealth missions, Shirobon will illogically remove the armour to show himself to the players.

The art style would be the childish bright colours and chibi look of Bomberman Generation and a similar wide array of powerups would be present but, aside from the occasional trips to planets, all the scenery would be the nitty gritty sort found within Act Zero, for that is where you are.
The idea is, in fact, a tongue in cheek destruction of all that Act Zero was, worked into a darker than average Bomberman plot that still plays upon past elements of the series and cameos many of the main character's companions. This is reflected in the aforementioned look too, with the chibi block colour Bomberman style essentially taking the piss out of the highly detailed and grimy Act Zero robots, while the discrepancy between colourful planets and dark, gloomy factory serves to further hit home the message of "this place is evil and everything about it is wrong".

Banana Waffle Deed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sapsiper
3DS FC
1263-6961-7801
I've been thinking and what I think would be a cool idea for reviving the series:

A Bomberman Hero style Shirobon is reprising his role as interstellar policeman/general goody goody when he comes across a planet being invaded by a horde of killer robots. They have all the same abilities he does and, while his skills and training are greater, he simply cannot compete with their sheer numbers.
Instead, he must don their armour and infiltrate their base to take the factory and training facility down from within.

The game would use mechanics similar to Bomberman 64 to allow it to alternate between classic top down Bomberman battles and platforming segments which would this time involve stealth elements and thus put a heavy emphasis on knocking out foes before killing them. The sound of bombs would not give you away because it's expected within the facility.
During these stealth missions, Shirobon will illogically remove the armour to show himself to the players.

The art style would be the childish bright colours and chibi look of Bomberman Generation and a similar wide array of powerups would be present but, aside from the occasional trips to planets, all the scenery would be the nitty gritty sort found within Act Zero, for that is where you are.
The idea is, in fact, a tongue in cheek destruction of all that Act Zero was, worked into a darker than average Bomberman plot that still plays upon past elements of the series and cameos many of the main character's companions. This is reflected in the aforementioned look too, with the chibi block colour Bomberman style essentially taking the piss out of the highly detailed and grimy Act Zero robots, while the discrepancy between colourful planets and dark, gloomy factory serves to further hit home the message of "this place is evil and everything about it is wrong".
This is how Konami should of done Bomberman: Act Zero. It still has a dark tone but the game still feels like a Bomberman game.

Am I the only one that feels like the canceled 3DS game is in a storage shed near Konami's headquarters and they're just ignoring the big ordeal?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
We need to kick this thread into high gear. Let's see some more move lists, art, and music!

What sort of music can we expect with Bomberman? Who wants to start posting some?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I do like Bomberman. I guess I shall give him a vote when I have the chance. I'd like to see him playable.

D

Deleted member

I heard that Nintendo's Facebook page specifically said Nintendo characters for the poll... thus shedding doubt for third parties...
But we mustn't give up! (or be careless!)

We just need to get enough votes for him on the poll and hopefully Nintendo will add Bomberman as a DLC character! This will be a very, very long journey, but we must tread on!

We need to kick this thread into high gear. Let's see some more move lists, art, and music!

What sort of music can we expect with Bomberman? Who wants to start posting some?
I can do the music!

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I heard that Nintendo's Facebook page specifically said Nintendo characters for the poll... thus shedding doubt for third parties...
But we mustn't give up! (or be careless!)

We just need to get enough votes for him on the poll and hopefully Nintendo will add Bomberman as a DLC character! This will be a very, very long journey, but we must tread on!

I can do the music!
You're a good man.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
I still voted for Bomberman. The only actual nintendo characters i am pushing for are Wonder Red, Paper Mario and Goku from yuyuki. Even if Bomberman does not stand a chance he still deserved my vote. My sister voted for him too. Lol

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Of the original Smash 2 Poll, Bomberman seems the next most likely 3rd party character:

Those aren’t Nintendo Characters Group:

1. Chocobo 9
2. Doraemon 7
3. Bomberman 5
4. Crash Bandicoot 4
5. Sonic 3
5. Megaman 3
Doraemon is impossible as it's an anime character.

That leaves Chocobo, Bomberman, and Crash Bandicoot as the original 3rd party considerations. His long history with Nintendo, and even a couple of cross-overs with Nintendo characters, makes him the most likely of those three.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The "only Nintendo characters" rule is false. Nintendo have since publicly stated that the ballot is open to anyone who ever appeared in a video game and that they're sorry to have wrongly implied otherwise.

Since this is not a pure popularity contest though, 3rd parties are probably going to require more of a push from fans than characters Nintendo can use without problem.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Of the original Smash 2 Poll, Bomberman seems the next most likely 3rd party character:

Doraemon is impossible as it's an anime character.

That leaves Chocobo, Bomberman, and Crash Bandicoot as the original 3rd party considerations. His long history with Nintendo, and even a couple of cross-overs with Nintendo characters, makes him the most likely of those three.
Ah! So this is the Melee poll!

It does leave me some hope for the next game if Japan still feels this way.

The "only Nintendo characters" rules is false. Nintendo have since publicly stated that the ballot is open to anyone who ever appeared in a video game and that they're sorry to have wrongly implied otherwise.

Since this is not a pure popularity contest though, 3rd parties are probably going to require more of a push from fans than characters Nintendo can use without problem.
I hope that Bomberman gets that sort of push. He really needs it in order to become playable.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
There is a little something all three of the current Smash 4 third party characters have in common. See below.

Interesting, huh?

....I'm just going to leave this here now.

(#VoteBomber)

D

Deleted member

Ill support him. if Snake dosnt come back (hopefully he dose) bomber is a next bet

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Terrible game, Bomberman Land Fantasy Race was far superior.
Also an interesting point but it could be applied to a lot of other characters too I'm sure.
Yeah, Bomberman has had quite a few racing games over the years.

I think the only major third party contenders that also fulfill this criteria are Rayman and Crash Bandicoot.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I like the idea of Bomberman, and it may be for some pretty strange reasons.

As it is now Capcom (Megaman), Namco (Pacman), Sega (Sonic) are in the game.
Those companies are all major Japanese video game companies with one missing; Konami.
In Brawl Konami had Snake, however Snake ain't around this time.
Bomberman would be a cool replacement since his history and character design already fit the roster.
Only down side is Bomberman ain't a company mascot.

I know Square is a major Japanese company too but Sony is a main stake holder in that company so their ties with Nintendo are far less then what the others are. I would give their spot to Geno I guess.

Warningdontread

Smash Rookie
NNID
Warningdontread
3DS FC
3952-8138-9680
So here is everyone! I was worried when I didn't saw anyone suggesting Bomberman. Glad I now know there are more people with the same vote as me. I also did a little "advertisement if you can called it that" on miiverse.
(obvious thanks to Artys Omni for reference)
I would like to see some of the characters suggested on other sites like Shantae or Shovel Knight, but we all know Bomberman is more worthy of a spot.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Bomberman has had quite a few racing games over the years.

I think the only major third party contenders that also fulfill this criteria are Rayman and Crash Bandicoot.
I wouldn't consider Crash major competition. Crash mainly became a video game icon thanks to Sony. After the 3rd game and the Kart racer, he had his share of ups and downs... mainly downs. He is a pretty dormant nowadays and hasn't had too many significant games.
Rayman, on the other hand, is competition. Ubisoft doesn't have the best relationship with Nintendo, but Rayman does have some things going for him. He had two very critically acclaimed games in recent memory (Origins and Legends), has some relationship with Nintendo (not as strong as the three 3rd parties currently in Smash though), is pretty popular overall, and interest in him was revitalized thanks to the leak Artsy made. The downside for Rayman is that his Japanese popularity isn't noticeably strong (I don't think he appeared on PushDustin's latest chart).

I do think Bomberman has some strong prospects, of course being his iconic status, being one of Nintendo's most loyal 3rd parties, and achieved some requests.

Here is my write up for Bomberman as Smash DLC!

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/07/smash-4-dlc-the-case-for-bomberman/

Read, share, and #VoteBomber.
Nice write up! Very informative! :)
I'll put that in the OP when I can. I need to remove some images and such; the front page is very laggy.

So here is everyone! I was worried when I didn't saw anyone suggesting Bomberman. Glad I now know there are more people with the same vote as me. I also did a little "advertisement if you can called it that" on miiverse.
(obvious thanks to Artys Omni for reference)
I would like to see some of the characters suggested on other sites like Shantae or Shovel Knight, but we all know Bomberman is more worthy of a spot.
Hey! Can I have a link to it? It's pretty nice!

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
There is a little something all three of the current Smash 4 third party characters have in common. See below.

Interesting, huh?

....I'm just going to leave this here now.

(#VoteBomber)

let me dream, smashboards

Warningdontread

Smash Rookie
NNID
Warningdontread
3DS FC
3952-8138-9680
Hey! Can I have a link to it? It's pretty nice!
I'm still not allowed to post links, but you can still find it on my miiverse page. It's the same username as I have here.

It would had been cleaner if it weren't by the fact that I have very shakey hands, but I'm still proud of it. And I really appreciate it that you like it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Bomberman is owned by Konami so not only is he 3rd part but he's up against Snake and the Belmonts.

BonkBammer

Smash Cadet
NNID
KirbyRPG5
3DS FC
2921-9490-9139
Bomberman deserves it in my opinion but I doubt he can pass shovel knight but there's always hope

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bomberman deserves it in my opinion but I doubt he can pass shovel knight but there's always hope
I don't consider Shovel Knight to be major competition.
There are a lot of requests for Shovel Knight, especially in the west, but there are two major factors that hurt Shovel Knight.
1. He is a third party character without any sort of legacy. All of the 3rd parties in Smash thus far have that iconic, influential status. Shovel Knight is an achievement for indie games, but it's not enough to put him toe-to-toe against Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.
2. The lack of support for Shovel Knight in Japan is because his game was never released in Japan. They probably won't know who he is if he was included.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Bomberman is owned by Konami now. Meaning that Bomberman would more likely than not replace Snake if he gets in.

Do you want that to happen?

Warningdontread

Smash Rookie
NNID
Warningdontread
3DS FC
3952-8138-9680
I don't consider Shovel Knight to be major competition.
There are a lot of requests for Shovel Knight, especially in the west, but there are two major factors that hurt Shovel Knight.
1. He is a third party character without any sort of legacy. All of the 3rd parties in Smash thus far have that iconic, influential status. Shovel Knight is an achievement for indie games, but it's not enough to put him toe-to-toe against Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.
2. The lack of support for Shovel Knight in Japan is because his game was never released in Japan. They probably won't know who he is if he was included.
For what I got, the ballot is not exactly "the one with more votes win" but more like "put characters you want and we'll see what we can do".
More vote will definitely show more fan demand, but if Sakurai can't do anything with said character I don't think it will be included (ex: Ridley, I love you but no way). So that's why I think so said "competition" is kinda non-existing.

Warningdontread

Smash Rookie
NNID
Warningdontread
3DS FC
3952-8138-9680
Also if Bomberman were to be included, Indy Bomber from Bomberman GB 2 should be an alternative costume.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Bomberman is owned by Konami now. Meaning that Bomberman would more likely than not replace Snake if he gets in.

Do you want that to happen?
In an ideal world, Snake would come back as the Konami rep while Bomberman would be added to rep Hudson, even if the company no longer exists.

In a super ideal world, we would also get Simon Belmont.

If push came to shove, I would take Bomberman over Snake, though.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
To be honest I don't see Bomberman in Smash 4.
Different story for Smash 5 though.
I don't know why, but I'm pretty sure Bomberman and Rayman are gonna be the 3rd party newcomers for Smash 5

I wish him the best of lucks anyway.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
If we're judging contenders solely based on their racing history, I'd say Crash wins hands down but I'd also like to mention this:

Banjo was of course also in Diddy Kong Racing. A game that I adored in my childhood.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Bomberman's design and character fit perfectly with the Smash atmosphere.

Bomberman has a history with Nintendo, even including a crossover with Wario.

Bomberman is the adopted step child of Konami. Which had a rep in Brawl. This was likely due to the friendship shared between Sakurai and Kojima. However Kojima is no longer with Konami and Snake isn't in Smash4.

Leaving the only other Konami rep competition being the Belmonts. One can only hope the more cartoony playful bomberman will be favoured over the more mature Belmonts.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Some Bomberman videos, since it is my duty to keep this thread on the front page.

First off is the intro to Saturn Bomberman, which might in fact be the BEST traditional Bobmerman game.

And here's a trailer for the last Bomberman game to appear on a Nintendo home console, Bomberman Blast for the Wii.

I also want to point out that shield and jet pack could be used at traditional up and down specials by Bomberman. He definitely has better move set options, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom