• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Board Improvement Thread

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
Hey everybody! So I know a number of us have been talking about making some real improvements to the Falcon Boards, and I feel that we should dedicate a thread to organizing this effort. I've been pretty vocal about what I want to see out of this, mainly focused around cleaning up a lot of the surface level threads and creating a comprehensive Beginners Guide to Falcon. As the current mod structure is setup, there seems to be no dedicated mods to any character threads, and instead some overarching mods for the Melee Boards. I got in touch with standardtoaster and he said he will help us with this reformatting of the boards!

With that being said, I'd like to get a feel for what everyone else wants to be improved and their thoughts on how we can accomplish this. Also, I'd like to take this time to ask for help in putting together this Beginners Guide, particularly in the Match Ups section, but anything you'd be willing to contribute is definitely welcome. I'd like to keep a strong commitment to accuracy moving forward, something I have not been so stringent on in my own notes. I by no means have a complete grasp of this game and it's mechanics, but I know enough to make sense of it all. While I do have a strong understanding of Melee's Physics, things like the actual frames of frame data are less important to me than the utility of different options from certain states, and I hope to explain a lot of these things in regards to their utility. If someone can assist with actual frame data (I intend to test all my stuff with 20XX for accuracy) that would be amazing; but as I said before, any help is very welcome. For reference, here are my initial thoughts on what the guide will include:

I. Controlling Falcon
This details everything from optimal movement, movement options, Falcon's objectives due to the nature of his options (neutral game), BnB combos, and the HOW TO DO ADVANCED TECH compendium which I hope to have compiled with: Hand cams, frames, gifs and diagrams as they are called for.

II. Match Ups
Explaining how Falcon's objectives change in each match up, and both characters overall game plan. Once more, diagrams/gifs for certain common situations/combos, as well as an in depth analysis of the mental battles you will likely see.

III. Mental game/Advanced Concepts Primer
A very bare bones explanation of the higher level minutia in the meta, such as spacing, hit confirm, positioning, zoning, pressure, etc. This is to familiarize the reader with these concepts, and each section should end with links to articles that discuss the concept further.

Anyways, I'm very excited to get started on this, any suggestions moving forward for better organization on this project are welcome.

EDIT:
Here is a link to all the research I've dredge up for the past few years. It should give you an idea of what I'm working on, and where you all can contribute, if you wish. Following this link will give you access to comment on my work, and point out any mistakes. If you'd like to contribute new information to the guide, I will PM you a separate link that will allow you to do direct edits to the Document itself.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x83P67ZGwhaj0a4yfX-mzmPoHMX33JD2AnItUyHvOXA/edit?usp=sharing

Excited to get this going! Look forward to getting torn apart!

Last edited:

Myst0

Smash Cadet
Since this is like a beginners guide we should talk about a beginners mindset and some dedication they have to put in order to get anywhere! Because when you talk to people about what they need to learn its like a mountain of tech and really hard stuff that may be a bit overwhelming to people.

Last edited:

thelilpups

Smash Rookie
coming from a new player who recently started to see massive improvement, what needs to be told to beginners are a variety of different options and setups. When I first started I did watch a lot of videos but I never knew that at 65% you can up throw Regrab or dtilt species. This was my biggest problem because I didn't know mixups or guaranteed setups. Things like dthrow > turn around back air coverage into Regrab. Would love to see a post full of a variety of options in differ t situations

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
coming from a new player who recently started to see massive improvement, what needs to be told to beginners are a variety of different options and setups. When I first started I did watch a lot of videos but I never knew that at 65% you can up throw Regrab or dtilt species. This was my biggest problem because I didn't know mixups or guaranteed setups. Things like dthrow > turn around back air coverage into Regrab. Would love to see a post full of a variety of options in differ t situations
This is the kind of thing I intend to cover in the first section of the guide, the basic BnB setups and combos that work for most of the cast. In the second section there is more room to add character specific setups and options.

Since this is like a beginners guide we should talk about a beginners mindset and some dedication they have to put in order to get anywhere! Because when you talk to people about what they need to learn its like a mountain of tech and really hard stuff that may be a bit overwhelming to people.
People have already written a ton on beginners mindset, so I was planning on linking some of those articles near the end, but I do think it's a good idea to give a little primer for encouragement as a prelude to the "How do I Tech Skill?" section.

Try to encourage top players to be active on these boards and archive their findings.
If you have any suggestions as to how to make this happen, I'm all ears. In the meantime, we have archived threads in the Compendium, which I used as the backbone for a lot of my guides.

KullaN_xo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5215-0584-6923
If you have any suggestions as to how to make this happen, I'm all ears. In the meantime, we have archived threads in the Compendium, which I used as the backbone for a lot of my guides.
Those threads are pretty old, new information would be very useful for lesser known match-ups or ones that are no even included in the compendium.

As for getting top players to be active I don't have any great idea's since I don't know any personally but they are all on facebook and twitter now so I guess a pm to them would be a decent start.

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
Those threads are pretty old, new information would be very useful for lesser known match-ups or ones that are no even included in the compendium.
Yea, hence my intentions to put all of this data under intense scrutiny. There are some good points, but most of it is outdated. With that being said, I think pro players only have so much to say beyond what good, sober analysis can provide for us. Along with frame data, heat maps can provide visuals for how you can utilize aerials outside of simple frame data charts.

タオー タオー
http://smashboards.com/members/?type=staff
Ctrl + F
Search for "Melee"

There are like 6 of us

I have wanted to go through each of the character boards and do this sort of clean-up of the stickies as well. Setting priorities to them, consolidating information, and trying to remove some unnecessary stuff on there.

Though do realize that with how old melee is now that some of the information is not really going to change too much. I would say there is a mentality shift over the years on how to play characters and that usually ends up effecting the guides. Pretty much anything 2010 and newer I feel sort of represents the newer ideology possibly with smash.

Last edited:

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
タオー タオー
http://smashboards.com/members/?type=staff
Ctrl + F
Search for "Melee"

There are like 6 of us

I have wanted to go through each of the character boards and do this sort of clean-up of the stickies as well. Setting priorities to them, consolidating information, and trying to remove some unnecessary stuff on there.

Though do realize that with how old melee is now that some of the information is not really going to change too much. I would say there is a mentality shift over the years on how to play characters and that usually ends up effecting the guides. Pretty much anything 2010 and newer I feel sort of represents the newer ideology possibly with smash.
Thanks for the heads up, it's good to know there's good work being done. I'd agree that most of the well presented information still holds true (magus posts and the like) but there is a lot of stuff linked in the compendium that isn't very explicit in its presentation. I'd like to take the ambiguity out of some of those statements, and provide a sober analysis of what Falcon's options are, and leave it to the reader as to how far they would like to push them.

Rachman

be water my friend
I wanna work on my thread more and I'd have a basic flowchart off throws for every top tier more worked out. Nothing hugely detailed but still really important to know.

Rachman

be water my friend
yea I've been dying with school work lately. If I can I'm hoping to put another 5-10 hours into stuff this weekend. Any ideas shoot em my way. First thing I'll do is lay out the throw follow ups for sure and I might discuss dj nair/single hit nair -> shield drop uair as combo extenders. Perhaps make that a new thread? "How to kill people when you hit them"

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
For those who are interested in contributing to this project, I'm going to be working on getting all of my current research into a google doc so we can share our information. I'd like to use this as a platform for developing the guide under critical observation, for the sake of integrity. I'll post the link once I get it created.

MrMaples

Smash Rookie
There should be an edge guarding section in each MU guide rather then just written randomly in there

You can go so in depth into the spacie edgeguard for example, Forward throw- SH knee. This creates a little flow chart scenario if they double jump they get hit by hard knee, if they fade back they can get soft knee- uair or hard knee and if they dip low you just return to stage with your double jump I get so many people with this set up it should be banned. You dont even need to do anything sometimes, you just forward throw them, they up -b you go out there and kill em. they side b they die. I see so many falcons who just do bad edge guards I dont understand why.. Hell if you d-throw them and they DI it away they can be killed so hard. falcon can gimp/ edge-guard so hard on spacies and marth and he can flow chart it really strong.

Something i've been recently thinking about recently with the trend of people ledge-teching and etc and consistent meteor cancels is to edge cancel stomps ether into a ledge grab or a follow-up i'm still labbing it at the moment but it's a pretty swag edge guarding tool and the ledge grab beats ledge-tech side b's Hax used a similar knee edge cancel into another knee for a quick kill on fox/falco but knee drop zone knee works too bair edge cancel bair is potent as well And planking on edge for the edge guard is very underused right now IMO Hax would get sweet edge-guards with a invincible reverse knee

Eh, I also dont really wanna write in the google docs thingy and screw it up so have this dump of info i find that works for me

Last edited:

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
There should be an edge guarding section in each MU guide rather then just written randomly in there

You can go so in depth into the spacie edgeguard for example, Forward throw- SH knee. This creates a little flow chart scenario if they double jump they get hit by hard knee, if they fade back they can get soft knee- uair or hard knee and if they dip low you just return to stage with your double jump I get so many people with this set up it should be banned. You dont even need to do anything sometimes, you just forward throw them, they up -b you go out there and kill em. they side b they die. I see so many falcons who just do bad edge guards I dont understand why.. Hell if you d-throw them and they DI it away they can be killed so hard. falcon can gimp/ edge-guard so hard on spacies and marth and he can flow chart it really strong.

Something i've been recently thinking about recently with the trend of people ledge-teching and etc and consistent meteor cancels is to edge cancel stomps ether into a ledge grab or a follow-up i'm still labbing it at the moment but it's a pretty swag edge guarding tool and the ledge grab beats ledge-tech side b's Hax used a similar knee edge cancel into another knee for a quick kill on fox/falco but knee drop zone knee works too bair edge cancel bair is potent as well And planking on edge for the edge guard is very underused right now IMO Hax would get sweet edge-guards with a invincible reverse knee

Eh, I also dont really wanna write in the google docs thingy and screw it up so have this dump of info i find that works for me
Works for me too! I agree, I want to improve the format, I literally copied and pasted all that from various notes I have strewn about my laptop. Thanks for the suggestions!

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
Not dead, don't worry. I've been trying to do as much work on this as possible, but you know, work and school and life. But eventually I want to turn this into a discussion stream, where we just talk about meta strategy and tech application, but that will come when it's ready. For now, I'm just focusing on getting the facts right.

TheManwiththePanties

Smash Rookie
Anyone have tips on utilizing knee>instant uair, or even late uair>instant uair? I've been theorycrafting as to the benefit of doing this to space animals but I never seem to land it.

HodgyDot

Smash Apprentice
The Hitbox and Frame data thread that Scar did a long time ago, is so cringe nowadays. This board is often dead for days on end as well because of the management or lack there of on this sub.

KCBunne

Smash Rookie
Hello, I just recently made an Android app for Falcon mainly based on the information from this guide. You can view the smashboards post about it here: (there is a link to download the apk)
http://smashboards.com/threads/i-made-an-android-app-for-falcon.439948/
Hopefully people like it. On a side note, would I have permission to submit the app to the Google Play Store? There wouldn’t be any ads on it so no one would be profiting from the app. I’ve been shot down by google before when trying to add an app, but I figured I’d give it a shot. Thanks for making this awesome guide.
Kyle

Last edited:

KCBunne

Smash Rookie
Hello, I just recently made an Android app for Falcon mainly based on the information from this guide. You can view the smashboards post about it here: (there is a link to download the apk)
http://smashboards.com/threads/i-made-an-android-app-for-falcon.439948/
Hopefully people like it. On a side note, would I have permission to submit the app to the Google Play Store? There wouldn’t be any ads on it so no one would be profiting from the app. I’ve been shot down by google before when trying to add an app, but I figured I’d give it a shot. Thanks for making this awesome guide.
Kyle
Thanks for your email, hopefully this app will show up in the Google Play Store sometime soon! (sorry iOS users!)

Top Bottom