• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blue Yoshi's TRIPLE ELIMINATION online smash 64 tournament (BRACKET UP)

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Well... I always wanted to see how a triple elimination tournament would play out... and I was planning on hosting an online smash 64 tournament eventually... so, why not combine them? :p

So that said...

BLUE YOSHI'S TRIPLE ELIMINATION ONLINE SMASH 64 TOURNAMENT

So... first off, I should explain how the triple elimination system works (I don't think it's ever been used before... so here it is):

TRIPLE ELIMINATION SYSTEM:

As the title suggests, it's triple elimination, meaning you have to lose three games to be eliminated from the brackets. Like single and double elimination brackets, which essentially have one and two brackets respectively (winner's bracket and loser's bracket), the triple elimination brackets has three brackets. This is what the brackets look like:

(if you can't read the bracket well, I put who plays who in one of the latest posts in this thread).

First bracket (winner's)

Second bracket (middle's)

Third bracket (loser's)

Tiebreakers (when people are eliminated at the same time in the third bracket):

Red and green numbers are for where the losers of a certain match will go. The red numbers is where they start from, and the green number is where they end up.

The numbers that start with A are for players moving from bracket 1 to bracket 2, while numbers that start with B are for players moving from bracket 2 to bracket 3.

The Yellow shaded area is where a best of 7 will occur.

At the end of the last two brackets, W1 and W2 represent the winners of the brackets, and thus they move on to the next bracket up. Like the double elimination tournaments, they must win two sets, while their opponent must only win one set.

For the tiebreakers, 1st/2nd/3rd/4th are relative to the positions being played for.
e.g. for 7th/8th, 1st in the tiebreaker would get 7th place and 2nd in the tiebreaker would get 8th.
Same idea for the other tiebreakers.

This is what the bracket would look like if it had 32 people or less. If there is more, I'll recreate it for 64 entrants.

This bracket system has several advantages over double elimination brackets:

-The third bracket allows players who have had two bad matchups to still have a chance to continue in the tournament.

-Players that would normally get eliminated right away in the tournament due to paying people better than them have a bracket where they can play people more at their level.

Another thing I will be doing in this tournament not in regular tournaments is if two people would normally tie for a position (for example two people tie for 7th), they play a best-of-5 to separate them (so two people that would be tied for 7th would play and be split into 7th and 8th). If four people would tie, the two higher in the brackets will play each other, while the lower two people would play each other. Winners play to split the top two positions, while the losers play to split the bottom two positions. This way, we will have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ... 30th, 31st, 32nd, and so on. This does not affect the bracket in any way. Just think of this as a side bracket to determine the final positioning. Doing this, everyone is guaranteed to play 5 sets, so someone who would normally be eliminated right away can participate enough for it to be worth it.

The system may look confusing, but I've got it drawn out so that it works out properly. If there is any confusion, I'll be there to clear things up.

RULES:

Triple Elimination

All matches are best of 5, with finals best of 7. Best of 7 matches will be shown in a different colour in the brackets so that you know when to do a Bo5.

5 stock, 10 min Time limit

No excessively STALLING a match! If caught doing so, you will be asked to stop with a warning. If you continue to do so, you will forfeit the match.

Items OFF

Please, no excessive unplayable or game-changing lag. If lag is bad, you'll be given the chance to fix your lag. If you cannot, you'll forfeit your match, and if it remains bad, you'll be removed from the tournament. i.e. regular lag rules.

All characters are legal.

Neutral Stages: Dreamland & Hyrule Castle

Counterpick: Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle, Saffron City

Banned: Planet Zebes, Mushroom Kingdom, Yoshi's Story, Sector Z

First stage is either Dreamland or Hyrule Castle, as agreed upon by the opponents. If an agreement is not determined, one person flips a coin to see which stage is the first stage.

Advanced Slob Picks - Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go to random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters

Signups:

Signups start now, with the tournament itself starting next week. The tournament will last for several weeks, as having a third bracket will make it longer than normal.

If you are signing up, make sure your info is in the Applicants Contact Information thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219937

ATTENDEES:

1. Blue Yoshi
2. Fireblaster
3. s2j
4. DMoogle
5. Nixxxon
6. Mahie
7. smakis
8. Mario Reincarnate
9. dandan
10. MattNF
11. Agony
12. SheerMadness
13. Wrath
14. DemonicInfluence
15. SSB64-Jel
16. KoRoBeNiKi
17. PD
18. House
19. Hamburglar
20. Thino
21. Lawrencelot

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Sounds confusing indeed, but I join.

I suppose this will be played on several days.

MattNF

Smash Lord
ill join for the lulz

even though I havent played in like a month

yeah that's right, I'm johning before I even play my matches

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I don't wanna take the time to understand how those brackets work, but I'll prolly play.

Just need to find a new controller because my z-button sticks and I roll around like a noob whenever I try to move left or right.

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
I'll play, but i'd prefer best out of 5 matches for normal matches since like there's no time limit or anything. We might as well make it more fair :p
~ImNotPro

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
do you mean best of 5 for all matches?

Sure we could do that... if everyone else will agree to it. Should we make the finals best of 5 or 7 then? I think 7 is pushing it, but once again, since there's no time limit, a best of 7 might work as well.

If everyone wants to keep it to the regular rules, we can do that, but this is already different enough as it is, so changing it to a best of 5 and best of 7 for finals should work as well.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
lol. unlike other hosts of tournaments that last a while... I'll be bugging the people who have to play next, and if they don't play after a decent amount of time, one will forfeit and the tourney will go on. I'm not going to wait three months because someone decided they wanted to take a break from smash, so either way, this tourney will happen, and it will proceed at a decent pace.

D

Deleted member

I really think Hyrule should be the only neutral

having to start off a bo3 on dreamland, losing, picking hyrule and winning, then dreamland again and losing isn't that cool

but if its bo5 then its ok

dandan

Smash Lord
btw, when is this supposed to start, have not seen it on the first post, my eyes might be decieving me though.

DemonicInfluence

Smash Ace
do you mean best of 5 for all matches?

Sure we could do that... if everyone else will agree to it. Should we make the finals best of 5 or 7 then? I think 7 is pushing it, but once again, since there's no time limit, a best of 7 might work as well.

If everyone wants to keep it to the regular rules, we can do that, but this is already different enough as it is, so changing it to a best of 5 and best of 7 for finals should work as well.
Ya, finals and stuff should be best out of 7. I'm just suggesting this cause of how much time we have :laugh:

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
btw, when is this supposed to start, have not seen it on the first post, my eyes might be decieving me though.
I had said next week in general. It will depend on how many people we have. This tournament structure would be ideal if we had 24 people or 32 people, so if we're one or two off that mark, I'll wait for the last few to enter then start. I will probably start it on Thursday/Friday... unless we get enough people before then. So for now... it will start sometime next week. I'll send a message to everyone via smashboards once I post the actual bracket.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I'll start this tournament on Tuesday. And for simplicity's sake, I'll keep it at best of 3, with best of 5 for the grand finals, but if people want to do a best of 5 for their matches instead, they are welcome to do that. It's already complicated as it is, so adding more stuff will just make it too confusing.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
I really think Hyrule should be the only neutral

having to start off a bo3 on dreamland, losing, picking hyrule and winning, then dreamland again and losing isn't that cool

but if its bo5 then its ok
You can't counterpick the stage you last won on, so in your example your opponent wouldn't be able to counterpick Dreamland in round 3.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
in 64, you can re-pick a stage you last won on, due to there not being many stages. In our biweeklies, I just don't do that because half the people john about it, so I just say no re-picking a stage. But in reality, you can re-pick a stage you last won on.

dandan

Smash Lord
I'll join. If there is lot of delay with P2P (less than 7 frames is ok), I'll withdraw from the tourney.
i think you might be alright with us players, but with euro players you can get 12-13 frames...

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
sign me up. i'll play i suppose

edit: i added my information to the "applicants contact information" thread a few weeks back but it was never added to the official list. hopefully that'll change before the tourney starts.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
A post way back in the first page:

I orriginally took this literally... but thinking again, is this just boom's way of saying he's joining? I should have probably asked sooner... :p

Are you joining boom?
Boom doesn't join unless there's a prize (like money)

Top Bottom