• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bigger kirby glitch

menduz

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone, not sure if this has been discovered before, but I was messing in training mode and it turns out if you jump twice and up B with kirby, you become slightly "bigger". Here are some pics for comparison:

I tried on console, 2p, and online as well, the same thing happens, is this a glitch? Also I tested it out with some people and it looks like the bigger kirby makes a difference, i.e., it has a bigger shield, more range on the roll, more range on attacks (e.g., f smash has more range), etc.

The Star King

Smash Hero
It works after any midair jump. Doesn't stack (you can't make yourself increasingly bigger). Goes away after losing a stock.

I guess Kirby keeps the puffed up state of his midair jump, or something.

Madao

Lol nice find OP. Are you a TASer? I'm not a Kirby player, but I would have never noticed, unless I was doing extensive testing. I looked at the code and actually added it to my gameshark code list, if anyone is interested in changing the size multiplier. I also would have never known what body size effects had I not messed with cheat engine and made characters become giants. It was probably an oversight where they forgot to update Kirby's size back to normal.

Kirby's original body size multiplier is 0.91 and it becomes 1.0 after doing an aerial Up B. Body Size multiplier effects where the hitboxes are located, roll size & speed, certain characters Up Specials, size of hurtboxes, shield size, etc.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
wait wait wait.... are we saying that by doing this glitch kirby's hitbox's actually get BIGGER? Yea I'm gonna go ahead and say kirby > pikachu

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
Hitboxes do increase in size. LARGE kirby is needed to hit through DL plats with utilt and usmash. Hipstur and I just confirmed this. I'll make some cute TAS pics showing the difference in a bit.

Madao

The hitbox size doesn't change, only the position of the hitbox changes.

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
it seems some hitboxes grow and some don't. my guess is hitboxes attached to bones grow along with the bones, but disjointed hitboxes only change position.

other intersting fact: only SMALL kirby can duck under fox mid ftilt

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Man I'm glad this was discovered, kirby was really struggling in the current metagame.

Madao

Position of the hitbox changes...uhh how.
I meant to say location. Hitboxes are associated with a bone. So they appear wherever the specified bone is. Also there's are coordinate offsets so that you can have hitboxes appear away from the bone. So when you have a higher body size multiplier, the hitboxes become more spread out.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i think what we all want to know is what exactly happens to that utilt and bair. If the utilt's location changes so that its even further behind kirby, then i don't even... oh god

The Star King

Smash Hero
clubba I think you're overreacting. I'm pretty sure it's a very miniscule difference. I mean, it's not like people never have up-b's that land on the stage. This has to have been done over the years on accident a ton, and nobody noticed.

Plus Kirby gets a bigger hurtbox which makes up for it a bit.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i might be, i'm just terrified of any sort of kirby buff. Next Apex between stocks every kirby does jump up-b to get the different hitboxes lol.

And would the hurtbox be bigger or just located differently?

Madao

Star King is correct. Here's a gif showing the difference.

menduz

Smash Rookie
#TeamAustralia
#NewMeta

And nah I'm not a TAS'er, actually this was discovered by two Australian players, Kirbymon and stealerhat, they were messing around and discovered this lol then I confirmed it with Emmi that it works online.

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice
Hahaha, Team Australia comin thru wiv dat nu info. If u think dis iz all we got, think again. Thank god we're here 2 discover the things that go ova tha hedz of you ameridums. Biggger shield tooo. Moov ova jiggles, kirby got tha bigges shield nao. & clubb dw about next apex. Top 8 will be all Australian.

On a srs note. Just sweetspot upb ledge as Kirby at start of game. gg

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
Wow, even the shield is bigger? damn. Playing and testing a bit with Bloodpeach and LD(separately), yeah you only need to do an aerial upB, doesn't need to include any midair jump. I'm no TAS'er but it did seem like most if not all of kirby's moves that use his bones are a little larger. Interesting stuff, that means when Kirbies try and spike me with upB they are inadvertently becoming slightly bigger combo fodder for fox, which is never a bad thing c:

#TeamAustralia
#NewMeta

And nah I'm not a TAS'er, actually this was discovered by two Australian players, Kirbymon and stealerhat, they were messing around and discovered this lol then I confirmed it with Emmi that it works online.
Tell Kirbymon I said hello(I'm TR3G-hipstur, I really should get a name-change on SWF). I played with him/her for a while, Emmi sent me to play :3 and also tell anyone else from Australia that I would be happy to play with any of you, provided I can get 7-9 frames. Everyone I've played from there so far I've had a very fun time with ^_^

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Lol this is hilarious that it took 15 years for someone to notice.

Also like someone else mentioned, this will be a thing now.

Up B before you approach. Or Up B while they're recovering to level up to god mode Kirby.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I did heavy testing on this. Here's the results:

- Kirby looks bigger, but the physical hurtbox is the same - no disadvantage there.
- Not only his range is better, but it deals just a little more knockback too.
- His down-B is completely invulnerable with this glitch.
- If you press: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start, within 3 seconds after he gets big, Kirby becomes Giant Kirby and wins the game by default.

Now seriously: stop overreacting. It works even if you grab the ledge with the up-B. Happens all the ****ing time.

T-bone1

Smash Rookie
New tier list:

SS: Bigger Kirby

S: Pika, regular Kirby

A: Polygon kirby

D: Everyone else

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I mean if BIG Kirby has bigger hit boxes I don't see any reason not to become BIG Kirby asap...

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
I actually think this is a pretty big deal. It's not going to change the game or anything, but it's going to be important information to know on both ends of the Kirby matchup. For instance, I've always wondered why utilt sometimes hits through the Dreamland platforms and sometimes doesn't, and now we know! I've also felt at times that utilt has an inconsistent horizontal range (sometimes hitting me from miles away, sometimes slightly more restrained). Kirbys in the know should probably start every stock with an immediate upB during invincibility time to take advantage of those larger hitboxes. You can talk all you want about the hitbox increase being miniscule, but the fact of the matter is that they're objectively larger and therefore better. And I certainly don't think the 5% or so extra range that utilt gets is miniscule or insignificant.

Can we get visual hitbox comparisons for dtilt, fair, bair, dair, and nair?

Last edited:

Madao

People should read previous posts before posting ._.
That feel when people don't believe me :( .
I made a gif of Giant Kirby doing utilt to show that hitbox size doesn't change (unless it's microscopic). Maybe I should find the hitbox variables.

The camera view isn't zoomed in as close as the other gif though.

I updated my cheat engine table and also added 2 more emulators :) . I added the size multipliers (Depth, Width, & Height) so that you guys can test things out. Another thing is, having a bigger shield due to body size increase isn't an advantage because it only increases based on the size multiplier. To answer a question that's already been answered, the yellow rectangles are the hurtboxes of the characters.

Edit: The only real offensive advantage is that the hitboxes move further away and faster.

Last edited:

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Edit: The only real offensive advantage is that the hitboxes move further away and faster.
Yes, but a longer range is the entire reason a literally larger hitbox would be of interest in the first place. I just used "larger hitbox" above as a textual shortcut of sorts.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
so lemme get this straight.... when Kirby uses neutral B or up-B after using one of his midair jumps, he physically gets bigger, and it took us 15 years to realize this?

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
Whats even more amazing is that people are giving serious thought to this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom