• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Edge-Guard Option

Which is the most reliable/effective edge-guard method?

• Turnips

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Auto-Float Fair/Bair

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
So I've been playing competitively for about five months now, and for at least 4.5 I've been playing as Peach. So far I've done fairly well and have grown in skill relatively quickly, but I've hit an issue; edge-guarding. Not to say I don't edge-guard, but rather I just don't know the exact BEST method to do it. For the most part I've been using well-aimed turnips but I feel like auto-floating and then Fair/Bair would be a much more effective/reliable.

Yay or nay? Feel free to post other edge-guard techniques you've found. Thanks in advance for any feedback/tips. :D

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
I voted other, and here's why:

Peach has a lot of edgeguard options and it's arguably one of the best parts of her gameplay - especially if you've seen Armada. That guy does not drop edgeguards because he covers options with both turnips and aerials. He throws a turnip and if he gets the hit confirm, he can go out and aerial. If the turnip misses or he reads the recovery, he can aerial edgeguard anyway. Often times, your opponent doesn't want to get hit by the turnip so they'll either recover early or lower than usual. It's easy to read the early recovery and then react to the lower one.

What I mentioned here is a rough and brief summary. The more you play, the more you'll recognize situations and know what option to do

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Also, something I notice Armada do is full hop turnip and then float at stage level or slightly below. He covers a bunch of options that way.
1. if the turnip hits
2. he can float back onto the stage and float > dair if they try to ride the wall
3. A high recovery can be covered by an aerial
4. A recovery straight at you can be covered by an aerial

Against sheik, Armada likes to normal get up off the ledge and then reverse FC nair or dtilt > uair. Dsmash also works but be wary if they DI down for one hit of it to prevent themselves from getting hit off stage

rje457

Smash Cadet
It also depends on the character your facing, for example if facing Marth try your best to snipe him with a turnip when he tries to recover, while facing a fox, you still want to hit him with a turnip like everybody but you will find it more effective to use instant float dair or nair or bair.

waifu

Smash Rookie
When playinh against a marth I like to wait until they are about to up b and down throw a turnip right off the ledge. Then quickly float to the edge to edge hog. Gimp the heck out of a lot of players. Won't work against really good people though.

Top Bottom