• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beast 5 Setup

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
Sup, I'm the creator of the Beast 5 setup that was used on the stream and since then I've recieved requests for a download - so here you go!

Installation and showcase

This setup has several features:

- Alternate costumes for sponsored players mains
by Achilles

- 8 Characters for nametags
(some symbols take 2/8 spaces)
by Dan Salvato & Starreaver1

- New default position for the Character Select hand
by Achilles

- Stage select now has striking
(X = strike, Y = strike all banned stages, Z = remove all strikes)
by ShamRock

- The Character Select Screen and Stage Select Screen have been changed to a Beast 5 theme

- Battlefield and Pokémon Stadium now features the Beast 5 logo

- Default tournament ruleset

by Magus, Qual_ and SypherPhoenix

- All characters and stages unlocked
by standardtoaster

- Random Stage Select unlocked on boot

by Achilles

- All events unlocked in Event mode but unplayed

by Achilles

- Boots directly to the Character Select Screen

by Achilles

- Got a different name, so it won't overlap regular Melee on your USB/SD

- PAL stock size

[COLLAPSE="Alternate Costumes"]
LowLandLions Falco

Select the red coloured Falco and press L to toggle the costume.
(Background changes upon toggle)
LowLandLions Captain Falcon

Select the red coloured Captain Falcon (Bloodhawk) and press L to toggle the costume.

Alliance Peach - by SLAK

Select the default coloured Peach and press L to toggle the costume.
Cloud 9 Fox

Select the blue coloured Fox and press L to toggle the costume.

Cloud 9 Falco

Select the blue coloured Falco and press L to toggle the costume.

Evil Geniuses Falco

Select the green coloured Falco and press L to toggle the costume.

Empire Arcadia Marth

Select the black coloured Marth and press L to toggle the costume.

Empire Arcadia Peach

Select the default coloured Peach and press R to toggle the costume.
[/COLLAPSE]
Download
(Includes 2 versions, one with NTSC characters and one with PAL characters.)
[YOU WILL NEED A MELEE 1.02 ISO-FILE]

Shoutouts to Achilles, DRGN, Steelia, Myougi and anyone else who've helped/tutored me! <3

-------------------------------------------------------------------

On a different note, my goal is to create a way for people to make their own custom setups easily and quickly (both for tournament and personal usage). (Including everything shown above and hopefully more!)
I could create a guide for this, but I'd much rather create a program that changes options by the click of a button. Unfortunately, I know nothing of coding and therefore I require help!
If there's any kind soul out there who's got experience in coding and would like to help my achieve this, please contact me.

Either way, this project will continue with MORE sponsor costumes! (Hopefully one day for every Smash sponsor out there)

Last edited:

mattergamer47

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1300-9761
Thanks for uploading it, shame it couldn't be used through the whole tournament.

A guide would be sick especially for the custom stage and character select screens

Last edited:

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
So this is basically a lightweight version of the 20XX pack with different skins?
You could say this is more of a tournament version of 20XX specifically for Beast 5.
But yeah, pretty much what you said.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Nice work, Anutim! I like how this ended up.

As for the program to do this stuff automatically...I really think the most efficient way to do this would be to just have the DAT Texture Wizard in a more noob friendly format.

I posted this idea earlier, but something like the DAT Texture Wizard with a built in catalog of texture offsets (and vanilla image previews?). So all you would do is direct the program to open a DAT file to load, and then an "image list" comes up with known image offsets and labels within that DAT. Right click one of these lines and hit "Insert PNG for this texture". (program checks image size to make sure it matches the vanilla). Successful. Done.

It wouldn't really get much easier than that. Basically taking the user friendly greatness of the Melee Toolkit and fusing it with the DAT Texture Wizard.

@ DRGN DRGN

Last edited:

Anutim

Smash Apprentice

As for the program to do this stuff automatically...I really think the most efficient way to do this would be to just have the DAT Texture Wizard in a more noob friendly format.

I posted this idea earlier, but something like the DAT Texture Wizard with a built in catalog of texture offsets (and vanilla image previews?). So all you would do is direct the program to open a DAT file to load, and then an "image list" comes up with known image offsets and labels within that DAT. Right click one of these lines and hit "Insert PNG for this texture". (program checks image size to make sure it matches the vanilla). Successful. Done.

It wouldn't really get much easier than that. Basically taking the user friendly greatness of the Melee Toolkit and fusing it with the DAT Texture Wizard.

@ DRGN DRGN
I would also like for it to be able to change certain values in different .dats. (Like changing colour values in the CSS/SSS)
As well as to be able to select what .dol mods you want to add/remove.
You know, stuff like that. To keep it as simple as possible.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard

@ DRGN DRGN
I wanted to do something like that, but the problem is creating such a catalog. It would be a lot of work, so I thought it would be something that would need to be crowd-sourced. Basically this would be about creating the Placements files that I posted about a few times (like this one for MnSlChr for example), and why I was trying to promote a de-facto standard naming convention. I figured we could make one placements file per game file, starting with the more common files/textures. But I didn't see anybody wanting to add to them or conform. Maybe I just needed to create a thread and advertise the idea more.

Starreaver1

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to do something like that, but the problem is creating such a catalog. It would be a lot of work, so I thought it would be something that would need to be crowd-sourced. Basically this would be about creating the Placements files that I posted about a few times (like this one for MnSlChr for example), and why I was trying to promote a de-facto standard naming convention. I figured we could make one placements file per game file, starting with the more common files/textures. But I didn't see anybody wanting to add to them or conform. Maybe I just needed to create a thread and advertise the idea more.
I was so ready to help you out, I dumped the textures and everything. Then I found that my prefixes (texIDs?) were different from yours. Why :(
Edit: I have a bunch of the texIDs filled out in your list, but I'd used OpenGL so I think they're different from what you have...

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I was so ready to help you out, I dumped the textures and everything. Then I found that my prefixes (texIDs?) were different from yours. Why :(
Edit: I have a bunch of the texIDs filled out in your list, but I'd used OpenGL so I think they're different from what you have...
Yeah.... This:

I knew there were cases where the TexID could be different, but I thought it was only from using different graphics backends (e.g. Direct3D11). I addressed my concerns on this for this very purpose here. Basically, I figured that there would still only be a few different IDs for any given texture, so worst case scenario would be to include each in the one placements line (e.g. 42 - _00000001 - _00000002 - 01234567 . But that might be too much info to gather. Idk. If it were ideally crowd sourced, then we'd have one list that's shared back and forth and updated to include any newly seen texIDs. Eventually, people wouldn't have to update it. I think this would be fine if there are only two different possible IDs. Maybe even three would be doable. But any more than that would probably start getting ridiculous.

achilles also had some interesting ideas here.
Also, in the example I highlighted above, _00000001 and _00000002 are both texIDs. One line can have many IDs in it to associate to one specific texture. Ultimately, the question is, how many IDs are there for one texture? Unfortunately, I recently did some testing and found out that changing the Texture Cashe Accuracy in the Graphics options (under the Hacks tab) between 'safe' and 'fast' can also cause the texID to change.

So, if we want programs to be able to automatically recognize textures, we'd have to do one of 3 things (all of which would still need placements files, even if the user doesn't need to interact with or load them later):

1) Have everyone use the same Dolphin settings configurations, so the texID will be consistent among users when they dump textures.

2) Record all seen texIDs for each texture for all settings configs.

3) Create one grand texture archive using a specific settings config, that contains all of Melee's textures. So people would download from this, instead of dump textures from Dolphin.​

1 and 2 could be somewhat combined. For example, settings that affect the texIDs but are almost always set a certain way could be ignored.

Unfortunately, all of these have the downside that they introduce more knowledge that you have to know or learn for texture hacking. Even for method 3, since they would at least have to know they need to get textures from a certain place in order for programs to recognize their textures. But I knowing/learning what's required for one of these methods might be better than dealing with offsets though.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Yeah.... This:

Also, in the example I highlighted above, _00000001 and _00000002 are both texIDs. One line can have many IDs in it to associate to one specific texture. Ultimately, the question is, how many IDs are there for one texture? Unfortunately, I recently did some testing and found out that changing the Texture Cashe Accuracy in the Graphics options (under the Hacks tab) between 'safe' and 'fast' can also cause the texID to change.

So, if we want programs to be able to automatically recognize textures, we'd have to do one of 3 things (all of which would still need placements files, even if the user doesn't need to interact with or load them later):

1) Have everyone use the same Dolphin settings configurations, so the texID will be consistent among users when they dump textures.

2) Record all seen texIDs for each texture for all settings configs.

3) Create one grand texture archive using a specific settings config, that contains all of Melee's textures. So people would download from this, instead of dump textures from Dolphin.​

1 and 2 could be somewhat combined. For example, settings that affect the texIDs but are almost always set a certain way could be ignored.

Unfortunately, all of these have the downside that they introduce more knowledge that you have to know or learn for texture hacking. Even for method 3, since they would at least have to know they need to get textures from a certain place in order for programs to recognize their textures. But I knowing/learning what's required for one of these methods might be better than dealing with offsets though.
Yeah...getting offsets for as many textures as we can come up with is undoubtedly going to need to be a team effort.

I guess I don't understand the point of using TexIDs when we need to make placement files anyway. I feel like it would be more accessible for newcomers to tell a program "The image I'm about to give you is the 'Melee' text in the top left of the CSS", than to have them learn how to dump textures in Dolphin (efficiently), manually search for the texture they are looking for in the dump folder in which the images have useless names (to a regular human), and also making sure the TexID is compatible with the program/making sure they have Dolphin setup in a specific way.

Ideally, we could put textures in some file-structured archive like you said. If the users are experienced, they could always just dump it themselves.

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah...getting offsets for as many textures as we can come up with is undoubtedly going to need to be a team effort.

I guess I don't understand the point of using TexIDs when we need to make placement files anyway. I feel like it would be more accessible for newcomers to tell a program "The image I'm about to give you is the 'Melee' text in the top left of the CSS", than to have them learn how to dump textures in Dolphin (efficiently), manually search for the texture they are looking for in the dump folder in which the images have useless names (to a regular human), and also making sure the TexID is compatible with the program/making sure they have Dolphin setup in a specific way.

Ideally, we could put textures in some file-structured archive like you said. If the users are experienced, they could always just dump it themselves.
The point of TexIDs is so that the user doesn't need to tell the program what texture it is at all; the program would just know. But if collecting the texIDs is too unfeasible, your idea may be the next best thing. It's just that it would mean a lot of extra clicking to use the program. I mean, right now, if I'm using a placements file (which is pretty simple to quickly make for whatever project I might want to work on), I can select all the textures I want, the dat file, and the placements file, then right-click on them and go to 'open in DAT Texture Wizard', and then just click the bottom-right button in the wizard to have all the textures written into the dat. It essentially does any number of textures with just one click in the program. Using drop-downs or a similar interface to tell the program what each texture is would become increasingly tedious as you increase the number of textures you're writing into the dat. This difference is even bigger if you're doing the same task multiple times, as you'd have to use the drop-downs each time, but creating a placements file only needs to be done once.

Perhaps it could be a hybrid system. As in, it checks for a texID, and then auto-selects the texture it thinks it is, but if there is no texID, then the drop-down or other selection method could be used as a fall-back. That feature would certainly be handy either way for whenever you don't know the offset to begin with.

Didact25

Smash Rookie
Anyway to get these skins without having to use the iso? I wanna use the EG falco on my 20xx that i use netplay on, would just put it over green falco. It looks sick.

Kadano

Magical Express
@ A Anutim did you document the offset changes for the PAL stock icon sizes and placements somewhere?

Also, have you considered adding “Debug mode replaces tournament mode”? It’s not something that is important or helpful for a tournament .iso, but I think people who use this .iso at home prefer having the debug menu easily accessible.

Additionally, can you explain the file system you use? As far as I know, @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 uses the trophy files for the alternate textures, but you seem to use .rat and .lat files. How do these work and won’t the .iso size increase by importing them? I burn my .isos to DVDs, so having it larger than the standard 1.3GB might cause problems.

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
@ A Anutim did you document the offset changes for the PAL stock icon sizes and placements somewhere?

Also, have you considered adding “Debug mode replaces tournament mode”? It’s not something that is important or helpful for a tournament .iso, but I think people who use this .iso at home prefer having the debug menu easily accessible.

Additionally, can you explain the file system you use? As far as I know, @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 uses the trophy files for the alternate textures, but you seem to use .rat and .lat files. How do these work and won’t the .iso size increase by importing them? I burn my .isos to DVDs, so having it larger than the standard 1.3GB might cause problems.
I found the PAL stock size via nodes through Melee Toolkit, but I've been unable to find how I move them to their right position. (So far they are a bit too high up compared to PAL.)
If you're wondering what file they're stored in, it's IfAll.usd. Once I find out how to move their position I will make a post about it.

About the Debug mode question, I won't do any updates for the Beast 5 setup but I'll try to include an option for the debug menu in future builds/guides that I make.

And for the alternate costumes, it's an updated version of Achilles code that he has yet to release. I'd rather have him explain it or wait for his new version of the 20XX hack pack since he's the one who made it. However, the .iso shouldn't get larger than the vanilla one.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Neutral spawning positions would really be an awesome addition.
Also I'd love no Shy Guys on Yoshi's Story and no Wind on Dream Land.

Starreaver1

Smash Apprentice
There should be DOL mod request thread/DOL mod compilation or something for people too lazy to mod their own ISOs (no offense to anyone). It'd also be cool to see what kinda custom stuff people come up with.

DRGN

Technowizard
I've thought about a program where you would just select the dol mods you want via check boxes, and then it spits out your custom dol. It would be simple to do, but it would still take a little bit of time to sit down and do. And I haven't seen enough need since dol mods are already pretty easy to do by oneself.

Starreaver1

Smash Apprentice
Sounds very not simple to me, but I have no knowledge of programming, I just exclusively learned how to code stuff in Melee haha. It'd definitely be a cool thing to have, but imo people are better off learning how to modify DOLs themselves. I don't think that there's a comprehensive guide on how to mod the DOL though (like in a standalone thread), just a bunch of isolated posts in the DOL mod topic.

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
@ Tero. Tero. I have something for you https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2nicur0461la2b/Start.dol?dl=0
BEAST5 DOL with neutral start, disabled DL64 wind, and disabled Shy Guys :)
Hey man, I have a question: is there a thread containing all the posible .dol edits and their respective codes? A while back I managed to find how to flash white on succesful L-Cancel, but it had different codes for different versions of Melee. I didn't find any way to have neutral spawn points, stage striking, etc. and things of the sort, plus, I'm really interested to see other available codes so I can fully customize a Melee Build.

Also, is there a tutorial explaining how to change the CSS and SSS color and design? I noticed @ A Anutim also added the word "Beast" both on the CSS and the SSS, but it's the first time I see something like that, so if anyone can guide me to a tutorial, a thread or somewhere where I can learn about all this stuff I would really appreciate it.

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
Hey man, I have a question: is there a thread containing all the posible .dol edits and their respective codes? A while back I managed to find how to flash white on succesful L-Cancel, but it had different codes for different versions of Melee. I didn't find any way to have neutral spawn points, stage striking, etc. and things of the sort, plus, I'm really interested to see other available codes so I can fully customize a Melee Build.

Also, is there a tutorial explaining how to change the CSS and SSS color and design? I noticed @ A Anutim also added the word "Beast" both on the CSS and the SSS, but it's the first time I see something like that, so if anyone can guide me to a tutorial, a thread or somewhere where I can learn about all this stuff I would really appreciate it.
I found out how by lurking in threads like this.
http://smashboards.com/threads/changing-color-effects-in-melee.313177/
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-dol-mod-topic.326347/
http://smashboards.com/threads/new-tools-for-texture-hacking.373777/

I also mentioned that I will make a tutorial of sorts in the future. Just not now, my priorities lie elsewhere. :p You should be able to find out everything by looking around these threads, though.

Last edited:

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
I found out how by lurking in threads like this.
http://smashboards.com/threads/changing-color-effects-in-melee.313177/
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-dol-mod-topic.326347/
http://smashboards.com/threads/new-tools-for-texture-hacking.373777/

I also mentioned that I will make a tutorial of sorts in the future. Just not now, my priorities lie elsewhere. :p You should be able to find out everything by looking around these threads, though.
Gee, sorry. I feel dumb now. I read the title of the "Changing color effects in Melee" thread, but I thought it referred to things like Marth's sword swing effect or Fox/Falco's shine. Never actually took the time to open the thread. I'll check all of them right now.

And the fact that you're planning to start a tutorial is great man! I really enjoyed the design of the build used on the Tourney. It was impressive so I'm eager to learn more from you.

Achilles1515

Smash Master

MnSlChr.dat Colors
000948 - 80 80 80 FF 00 0B 1A FF FF FF FF Background
10050 - 07 FF FF FF 00 00 00 33
348E88 - 07 07 07 07 83 8F 94 00 83 8F 94 Bottom frame
348F48 - 07 07 07 07 92 9E A3 00 92 9E A3 Rule
349008 - 07 07 07 07 83 8F 94 00 83 8F 94 Top frame

MnSlMap.usd

6D250 – 80 80 80 FF B3 B3 B3 FF FF FF FF FF 3E 99 99 9A 42 48 00 (weird background things)
  • So the "weird background things" can be made transparent and it makes the SSS look so much better.
6D250 – 80 80 80 FF B3 B3 B3 FF FF FF FF FF 3E 99 99 9A 42 48 00 (Original)
6D250 - 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 42 48 00 (Transparent)

6EE10 – 80 80 80 FF 99 B3 B3 FF FF FF FF FF 3F 7F BE 77 42 48 00 (Stage Select cursor)
6F100 – FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 3F 7F BE 77 42 48 00 (One of the alternating colors when hovering over a stage)
96C40 - 07 07 07 04 FF FF FF 00 FF FF FF (Text)

95A70 – 80 80 80 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 42 48 00 (Stage Select text at the bottom right)
95B10 – 80 80 80 FF CC CC CC FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 42 48 00 (Stage Select text inside circle)
95BE0 – 80 80 80 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 3F 7F BE 77 42 48 00 (White lines the make the border around the stages and make the smash symbol)

TheRealest documented all these.

Last edited:

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
MnSlChr.dat Colors
000948 - 80 80 80 FF 00 0B 1A FF FF FF FF Background
10050 - 07 FF FF FF 00 00 00 33
348E88 - 07 07 07 07 83 8F 94 00 83 8F 94 Bottom frame
348F48 - 07 07 07 07 92 9E A3 00 92 9E A3 Rule
349008 - 07 07 07 07 83 8F 94 00 83 8F 94 Top frame

MnSlMap.usd

6D250 – 80 80 80 FF B3 B3 B3 FF FF FF FF FF 3E 99 99 9A 42 48 00 (weird background things)
  • So the "weird background things" can be made transparent and it makes the SSS look so much better.
6D250 – 80 80 80 FF B3 B3 B3 FF FF FF FF FF 3E 99 99 9A 42 48 00 (Original)
6D250 - 00 00 00 FF 00 00 00 FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 42 48 00 (Transparent)

6EE10 – 80 80 80 FF 99 B3 B3 FF FF FF FF FF 3F 7F BE 77 42 48 00 (Stage Select cursor)
6F100 – FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 3F 7F BE 77 42 48 00 (One of the alternating colors when hovering over a stage)
96C40 - 07 07 07 04 FF FF FF 00 FF FF FF (Text)

95A70 – 80 80 80 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 42 48 00 (Stage Select text at the bottom right)
95B10 – 80 80 80 FF CC CC CC FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 00 00 42 48 00 (Stage Select text inside circle)
95BE0 – 80 80 80 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 3F 7F BE 77 42 48 00 (White lines the make the border around the stages and make the smash symbol)

TheRealest documented all these.
Ok first of all, thank you for taking the time to write all of that. Now I know exactly which codes to edit to achieve different colors. I'm so excited to try this out.

Still, even though I have the code, how do I change the color? Which are the values for each one? I read a bit of the content on the "Color Effects" thread, should I follow those steps?

Oh and one more question, I noticed that the SSS of the Beast 5 Build had the design of a laurel crown where the name of the stage should be. How did you manage to put that there?

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
Ok first of all, thank you for taking the time to write all of that. Now I know exactly which codes to edit to achieve different colors. I'm so excited to try this out.

Still, even though I have the code, how do I change the color? Which are the values for each one? I read a bit of the content on the "Color Effects" thread, should I follow those steps?

Oh and one more question, I noticed that the SSS of the Beast 5 Build had the design of a laurel crown where the name of the stage should be. How did you manage to put that there?
In the colour changing thread there should be an explanation for that format. (It contains 2 RGB colours, and the format ALWAYS ends with 42 48 00.)

I dump all textures I wanna change with Dolphin and then find them in their respective .dat/usd files by taking their .tpl values and search for it there. DRGNs thread "New tools for texture hacking" or what it was called has a lot of posts regarding this, so I suggest you read that entire thread.

Luddoj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luddoj
In the colour changing thread there should be an explanation for that format. (It contains 2 RGB colours, and the format ALWAYS ends with 42 48 00.)

I dump all textures I wanna change with Dolphin and then find them in their respective .dat/usd files by taking their .tpl values and search for it there. DRGNs thread "New tools for texture hacking" or what it was called has a lot of posts regarding this, so I suggest you read that entire thread.
Thanks for the help! I will definetely do that. Sorry for being such a noob and for the many questions. Once again, I'm really impressed by all your amazing work. I'll be looking forward to that tutoial you mentioned, I'm sure it will be great.

Memory

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot. I love this more simplistic mod. One thing I wanted to do was change the stage select screen background and the closed character select slots to another custom image. How would I go about doing that? (I'm not even exactly sure which particular files govern this).

Starreaver1

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot. I love this more simplistic mod. One thing I wanted to do was change the stage select screen background and the closed character select slots to another custom image. How would I go about doing that? (I'm not even exactly sure which particular files govern this).
How to Replace the CSS Closed Port Texture

1) Modify this image:

View attachment 28309

*Anything in the transparent area will not show up correctly on the CSS and the image will be displayed as black and white (so make your image in grayscale).

2) Use the PNG to-from TPL tool to create a TPL of your modified image.
  • This image is a "_3" type.

3) Use the TPL Overwriter to insert the image into the MnSlChr.usd file.
  • Placement is 0x2F760.
  • Alternatively to using the program, open the TPL in a hex editor and copy from 0x40 onward and paste at the above address in MnSlChr.usd.

EDIT: How to Edit Both Sides of the Closed Texture Port - DRGN

Top Bottom