• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle of the Five Gods: Pools Analysis and Full Stream Schedule

From March 17th - March 19th, twenty of Melee's best will face off in the most exciting invitational the game has ever seen: Battle of the Five Gods. Taking place at the world famous South by Southwest (SXSW) Festival in Austin, Texas, gods and god-slayers alike will be competing for $25,000 in prize money. Here is everything you need to know about Battle of the Five Gods.

Top (left to right): Mew2King, PPMD, Hungrybox, Mango, and Armada
Second row (left to right): MacD, Ice, Silent Wolf, DruggedFox, HugS, and Westballz
Third row (left to right): Nintendude, Plup, SFAT, PewPewU, and Shroomed
Bottom (left to right) Axe, Lucky, Wobbles, and S2J
Stream and Schedule

All the action at Battle of the Gods will be streamed on twitch.tv/sxswgamingesports starting this Thursday. Additionally, top casters such as D1, Scar, Toph, TKbreezy, and more will be holding it down on the mic on commentary. Brackets and the fantasy draft can be found on the official smashgg page. Here is the full schedule with the matches and the corresponding times:

Pools Analysis

Battle of the Five Gods will begin with five of the most stacked round-robin pools in Melee history, handpicked to ensure maximum hype. The winner of each pool will go to the final top 8 bracket, while 2nd place of each pool will go to a playoff group to qualify for top 8, as shown above.

Armada is the clear favorite in this pool, but that does not mean it will all be smooth sailing for him. Both Silent Wolf and HugS have taken a game each from the Swedish champion in 2015, and SFAT had some close games against Armada at The Big House 5. The #2 to get out will be a tossup, as SFAT and HugS are the only two that have faced off in 2015-2016 out of the bottom three seeds (Silent Wolf and SFAT played at The Foundry), with SFAT taking the win both times over HugS. The last time SFAT and Silent Wolf played was DYFWI in late 2014, where Silent Wolf double eliminated SFAT. With all this in mind, be sure to look forward to Silent Wolf vs. SFAT as the pivotal set of this group.

Group B is arguably the most challenging pool, with Westballz, PewPewU, and Ice all having a shot of making it out alongside PPMD. The likely favorite is PPMD, but a determined Westballz will be seeking revenge after losing a very close set with PPMD at Smash Summit. However, PewPewU could very likely take down Westballz with his excellent 3-1 record in 2015-2016 against the Red Falco. Ice has not faced off against PPMD or PewPewU recently, but his incredible Genesis 3 performance coupled with his recent close sets against Westballz gives him a chance of advancing to the playoff stage.

Group C is perhaps the most interesting pool, as all the players in the pool have beaten each other in 2015-2016 except for Axe and DruggedFox who have not played each other yet. Mango could very well go all Fox in this pool, seeing as how he beat Axe at Genesis 3 with Fox and DruggedFox has switched to Falco. Axe will have a tough matchup in MacD, a player he recently traded sets with at Rubicon 7. MacD has a chance at making it out of pools, although DruggedFox's new Falco managed to beat him at Genesis 3. For DruggedFox, solid Falco play and the possibility of his Sheik and Marth coming out could help him advance to the playoffs.

Mew2King got possibly the best pool he could have asked for, making him the clear favorite. Although Nintendude could give him some trouble with his Ice Climbers as shown at Genesis 3, Mew2King has consistently been dominant against Plup and S2J. For S2J to get out of pools, he will have to overcome the very difficult Sheik matchup against Mew2King and/or Plup. Nintendude will be looking to replicate his Genesis 3 success, although Plup's Samus and S2J could give him a challenge.

The favorite in Group E is Hungrybox, seeing as how he has not dropped a set to a non-god since Paragon LA last year. However, Shroomed, Lucky, and Wobbles have given Hungrybox a scare in the past, with Lucky taking a set from Hungrybox in 2015. Realistically, all three of the non-gods in this pool have a chance of making it out. Wobbles has a positive record against Shroomed and Lucky in 2015-2016, although Shroomed's Marth was very close to edging it out against Wobbles at PAX Arena. Shroomed vs. Lucky could be the deciding set of this group, with the odds slightly being in Lucky's favor with his set count of 1-0 against Shroomed in 2015-2016.

---
Hyped for Battle of the Five Gods? Comment your predictions down below and tweet on Twitter with the hashtag #FiveGods.

Last edited:

Comments

This is a really cool invitational, but how could they say that the god-slayers are coming when Leffen isn't invited?
His visa issues persist sadly. They will likely be patched out by EVO at least and hopefully CEO (I'm beginning to doubt by Pound).

Actually Leffen (visa issues) and Hax (inactivity/sleep-related issues) are the only 2 people missing from the MIOM Top 20 for the end of 2015 (their two replacements were Wobbles and Nintendude).

At least if this event gets a sequel, Leffen going to said event can make it "Battle of the Six Gods." :)

Last edited:
So excited! This tournament will indeed be legendary! Rooting for my boys, Mango, Hungrybox, Armada, Axe, and Plup! Let's go!

So why isn't Leffen in this Tournament?
His visa issues persist sadly. They will likely be patched out by EVO at least and hopefully CEO (I'm beginning to doubt by Pound).

Actually Leffen (visa issues) and Hax (inactivity/sleep-related issues) are the only 2 people missing from the MIOM Top 20 for the end of 2015 (their two replacements were Wobbles and Nintendude).

At least if this event gets a sequel, Leffen going to said event can make it "Battle of the Six Gods." :)

Literally everyone reading this article is wondering why leffen isn't included... so probably should have made a comment in the article on leffen

Top 8 armada, westballz, ppmd, mango, m2k, plup, hbox, sfat. Just my thoughts. Can't wait to see how it goes. Such hype

I'm am gonna go on a limb and say armada is gonna win this event
Idk i'm not a huge fan of armada like he's really good, but man i just really wanna see either Mango clutch it out or even westballz. I love both of their styles and seeing a falco win a big tourney would make me happy inside.

Doc is such a bad character.

If he wants to have a shot at winning he needs to go Sheik.

If he wants to go 0-3 in every set he should go Doc.
Have you seen his Doc? Do you even know who Shroomed is? He made it to top 8 in evo 2013 using Doc. I know sheik is the better character but it would be hype to see him pull out Doc. Also, Doc is not a bad character.

Last edited:
Have you seen his Doc? Do you even know who Shroomed is? He made it to top 8 in evo 2013 using Doc. I know sheik is the better character but it would be hype to see him pull out Doc. Also, Doc is not a bad character.
I first faced his Doc back in what? 2009, maybe 2008? I live in the same area code as him and I've gone to enough NorCal locals to get destroyed by him with at least 7 characters (I've faced both his spacies for goodness sake). He's the only player to beat me in any Smash game on Rainbow Cruise (yes that stage was legal and it was awful, but I abused it because I am an awful person lmao).

Heck if you type my username in tournament you'll find footage from over 2 years ago of my rusty Fox getting destroyed by Shroomed at TNE (got whooped in front of 15k stream viewers, thanks GimR LMAOOOO! [I crap talked PewPewU the whole set while he badgered me])

His Doc is the best Doc in the world, and yes, he made EVO 2013 top 8. That was unbelievable that he did that considering how bad Doc is, especially beating Leffen and others to get there. But Doc's limitation limited him, and he probably reached that limit sometime in 2011. I remember at like Rule 6 in 2012 (I think) where he should have destroyed Mango in this loser's bracket set (we're talking 3 or 4 stock wins), but Dr. Mario's just got boxed out by Fox's superior range, and he lost a close set. And because of that huge range advantage, Shroomed got knocked out of the tournament (meanwhile KirbyKaze sailed to grand finals with Sheik).

I've faced Shroomed enough to know how good his Doc is, and trust me, it is about as far as the character can go. But c'mon... it might not even be one of his five best characters.

His Sheik, Captain Falcon and Marth are all better than his Doc ,and it isn't close. His Fox is probably better too.

Doc is also so bad in competitive play. He's got no range (even Jigglypuff has better range), weak damage, a limited combo game, a very predictable recovery, and lacking kill options.

Compared to Sheik who's got chains for days, tons of safe options, and wayyyy more range it isn't even close as to which character is better and who Shroomed is good with.

Shroomed's skillset even matches Sheik better, as his excellent DI is better utilized with Sheik (btw his DI is the best in any smash game IMO; fighting him is like fighting a phantom, or boxing with Floyd Mayweather Jr.), and his ability to just get tons of free hits (which is something he excels at) is now easily utilized as Sheik, whereas with Doc it was rarely useful since Doc can't get free hits consistently.

Heck his Captain Falcon walls way better than his Doc, his Marth controls range and neutral better, and his Fox covers space way better than his Doc.

Last edited:
I first faced his Doc back in what? 2009, maybe 2008? I live in the same area code as him and I've gone to enough NorCal locals to get destroyed by him with at least 7 characters (I've faced both his spacies for goodness sake). He's the only player to beat me in any Smash game on Rainbow Cruise (yes that stage was legal and it was awful, but I abused it because I am an awful person lmao).

I totally get where your coming from. Sheik is his only sure chance to get into Grand Finals, ( which would be awesome!!!) but it would be cool if used Doc in pools against not-so well known players. He's got to do what he's gotta do to survive and I totally get that. I wanted to be a Pichu main lol. I promised myself I would never main Fox because everyone mains Fox. 2 months later and I'm a Fox main, ironic isn't it? Also, how is shroomed like as a person? I heard he was a cool dude

if you didn't hear, shroom has personally said in interviews that he enjoys playing sheik and other top characters more than he enjoys playing doc, regardless of results(which are also much better)

I think it's awesome how the player pictures are designed CVS 2 style. I love watching round robin tournaments also.

Top Bottom