• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle Arena Melbourne 7 - May 22-24 2015 - Rego Closes May 17th, no exceptions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
BAM7

Smash 4, Smash Melee, Smash 64 and many other fighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c39iKPWzvds

Many of the best international players are coming, do you have what it takes?

WHEN/WHERE?:

May 22-24
CQ Hotel, Melbourne CBD

Registration is Live!

Registration is 100% required, there will be no on the day entrants

http://www.couchwarriors.org/bam/register.php

WHERE TO STAY IF TRAVELLING?:

Housing:

Please refer to the seperate housing thread being used to organize all this:

http://smashboards.com/threads/bam7-housing-thread.395350/

Accomidation:

Best bet's to use wotif to find the best deals anywhere in melbourne CBD

www.wotif.com

SCHEDULE:

Friday
5pm-7pm SETUP/Hoff
7pm to late Exhibition

Saturday
9am-5pm Melee + S4 Pools
5-6pm Dinner/extra time
6pm -10pm Melee + S4 Doubles Bracket to top 8/16
6pm-9pm 64 Bracket to end

Sunday
9am-11am S4 Doubles top 8/16
12pm-5pm S4 Singles Brackt to end
12pm-2pm Melee Doubles top 8/16
3pm - 8pm Melee Singles Bracket to end
8pm-9pm Presentation

RULESETS:

For basic rules, such as venue rules, player behavour, equipment and all the rest, we are using the APEX 2015 ruleset:

http://www.meleeitonme.com/img/Apex_2015_rulebook.pdf

Refer specifically to the "II. General Rules for Super Smash Bros. Games" Section for the majority of relevant rules

As for specific game rules, they will be provided below:

Smash 4:

Smash 4 BAM7 Rules

General Rules

-Bring your own controller (preferably GameCube controller but any controller excluding WiiUGamepad is allowed)

-Badges + Equipment are BANNED

-Custom moves BANNED

-Items are set to OFF and none

-Mii Fighters are legal! Default moves only (1-1-1-1) Default weight only

-Sets are 2 stock (8 minute time limit), best of 3 games. (3 stock for doubles + team attack ON)

-Winner Semifinals, Winners Finals, Losers Semifinals and Losers Finals are best of 5 games

-All WiiU consoles must be updated to latest patch. Outdated consoles may not be used due to major changes to the game.

-If any issues or questions with the ruleset or anything regarding Smash Wii U please contact a T/O. (Leisha, Bijou, DreadTech, & Attila)

StageList

Starters

-Battlefield

-Smashville

-Town and City

Counterpicks

-**Final Destination/Omega Palutena's Temple (Any omega gentleman's clause)

-Halberd

-Delfino Plaza

-Lylat Cruise

**Please note that if your opponent selects FD as their ban, this ban includes all omega stages also. If FD is selected, you may also play on other omega stages if both opponents agree.

Match format:

1- Both opponents choose a character. (A blind pick may be requested if you organize it with a T/O)

2- Match 1 takes place on one of the 3 starter stages.

3- Rock/Paper/Scissors to determine which player 'strikes' a starter stage first.

4- First Player will strike 1 stage from the starters, Second Player will ban 1 stage. The first match will be played on the remaining stage left.

After each game:

5- The winner may ban 1 stage from the starters and counterpick, loser picks what stage the next game is played on.

6- At this point the winner of game 1 may change character. After this, the loser of game 1 may change character. Then he next game in the set is played.

7- Repeat from step 5 until a winner has won the required amount of games to win the set.

Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: Cannot pick a stage you have just won on, unless the other player agrees to it. In best of 5 after game 4, this rule is reset to prevent running out of stages to choose from.

Timic rule: If both players agree, they may play on any stage they wish, with any and all items on.

Including Badges and Equipment, pretty much whatever you want so long as it doesn't extend the overall time taken to complete the set.

Smash Melee:

A. Game Settings
● Stocks: 4
● Time Limit: 8 minutes

B. Stage List Starter Stages
● Yoshi’s Story
● Fountain of Dreams (singles only)
● Battlefield
● Final Destination
● Dream Land
● Pokémon Stadium (doubles only)

Counterpick Stages
● Pokémon Stadium
● Kongo Jungle 64 (doubles only)

C. Additional Rules
● Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until there is one stage remaining. The player/team without port priority strikes first. Then the other player/team strikes two stages. Then the player/team with port priority strikes one more stage and the remaining stage is used for the first game of the set.
● Stage Bans: After each game of the set, before counterpicking, the player who won the previous game may ban one stage from either the starter or counterpick list. This rule is not in effect for best of 5 sets.
● Stage Clause: A player/team may not pick any stage they previously won on during the set.
● Neutral Start: Players may elect to move to opposite sides of the stage and then count down prior to starting the match.
● Wobbling is legal

Smash 64:

All sets are best of 3 except for the following matches of the final bracket which are best of 5:
Winners Semifinals, Winners Finals, Losers Quarters, Losers Semifinals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals

Similar to Apex rules, players may use alternative controllers (e.g Hori brand, Keyboard, Xbox, Gamecube) so long as they provide their own adapter. Macros are strictly prohibited.

Game Settings.

Stocks: 5 + No items + No Handicap + Damage Ratio: 100%.

Character and Stage selection.

The first stage played must be Dreamland
Players select characters for first match.
Double Blind Picks may be called.

The first match is played.

The loser of the previous match selects the next matches stage from the Counter pick Stage Lists.

The winner of the previous match selects their character.

The loser of the previous match selects their character.

The next match is played.

Players may not counterpick to a counterpick stage they already won on that they picked themselves.

Counterpick Stages.

● Dreamland

● Peach’s Castle

● Congo Jungle (The black colours of Cpt.Falcon, DK and Samus cannot be selected on this stage)

● Hyrule Castle (Both players must agree to this)

Recommended starting ports can be found at this link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fNwFejxr_1wW4lZcPphhlpQiZ9Af3Qk86oQcvQCtjNs/edit

Pausing

Pausing the game is only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game. If the pause causes the opponent to lose a stock, the player who pauses forfeits 2 stocks.

GUESTS AND DONATIONS:

MANGO, LEFFEN, LUCKY, WIFE, ALEX19, S2J, HUGS AND CHILLIN ARE COMING!

Huge trailer with all guests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c39iKPWzvds

You can also check out the original trailer for BAM7 below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb5lFG0aBa4

OTHER INTERNATIONALS FOR BAM7?

CURRENT AMOUNT RAISED: $10402.82

The idea here is that we get over smashers depending on how many donations we get towards this.

The current amounts are $1500 per west coast player, or $2000 per east coast/European.

The voting has now finished, and the end result is below:

1st Mango
2nd Leffen
3rd Wife
4th Lucky
5th Axe
6th S2J
7th PPU
8th Zhu
9th Hugs
10th HMW
11th D1
12th Hax
13th Chillin
14th M2K
15th Alex19

Donations are the key to bringing any of your favorite players over, so please help us out!

You can donate via paypal via:

philippretty@gmail.com

You can also donate to me in cash at any local event.

If neither of these work, please PM me and we can discuss something else if you are still interested as I am happy to work with anything to help make this event more amazing.

There will be another series of donor only $150 bracket meets featuring the international players.

I've decided the above list is now final, It would be unfair to add others at this late of a stage now and would also cause problems with late notice.

HOW DO WE CHOOSE WHO COMES?

We voted, and the end result is earlier in this post.

The full votes can be found throughout this thread, and the full results with spreadsheets can be found via the below link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_YKQEU17tafNLy-OEsgmW2KB2h3cwDr91Z7Ws2PzpG4/edit#gid=0

The voting closed on 11:59pm on the 5th of February 2015.

The donation drive will close on the 1st of May 2015, so you have plenty of time to organize your dollars to drop!

Happy voting!

DONATION INCENTIVES AND CURRENT DONATORS

The $150 club is back, other goals are to be sorted but the $150 club will be back for the exclusive, small scale meets with the internationals.

There is also the chance to be teamed with the international of your choice in your game of choice for everyone that has paid above $200, as well as previous incentives. This goes in

order of most paid to least paid in order of preference, so it means if you pay the most you get first choice!.

Seeing as I am organizing for these guys to be down a week in advance, there will be at least 1 meet the weekend before BAM7, then one the Thursday before and one the Monday after BAM7.

So currently there is 3 tentative meets.

I will not put an immediate limit on the $150 mark club, but there will be a limit if the numbers get crazy unless people can help me host exclusive meets on other days (Super HoC

Tuesday? Talk to me guys)

CURRENT AMOUNT RAISED: $10402.82

Current Donation list:

$2000 from Nova
$1500 from Iggy
$1000 from Hyes
$500 from Gords
$500 from Meredyse
$350 from RussellTLM
$350 from Blue
$300 from PCG
$300 from Flukey
$200 from Unreon
$200 from Phrase
$200 from MGK
$200 from Kupo
$150 from Mackey
$150 from JKTS
$150 from Skeletom
$150 from Snoc ProCoD
$150 from Forte
$150 from WE-G
$150 from Dreadtech
$150 from Hobs
$150 from Splice
$150 from Mytus
$150 from SA Nick
$100 from Harry Webber
$100 from Joey
$100 from Dyl9
$100 from Miles Warehouse 3
$51 from Izzago
$50 from Sumeet
$50 from Feg
$50 from Dean
$50 from Tommy
$50 from Capps
$50 from Bu$
$50 from Star
$50 from Aces_
$50 from Indefa
$30 from SaucyAUS
$20 from Ward Morrow
$20 from Ajaxonethree
$20 from Kyle French
$5.55 from James Stogryn
$5 from Pudgetalks
$1.27 from Kevin Nguyen

Last edited:

Indefa

Smash Apprentice
Would be cool if 64 had a presence there other than having to make their own tourny on the side :p

Meredy

The Busterina
64 doesn't have enough of a following here to warrant it being a proper event.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Would be cool if 64 had a presence there other than having to make their own tourny on the side :p
please get the 64 community to step up and do something then. I've tried contacting them before but no one steps up or does anything

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah it'd be good if the people who play 64 did ANYTHING
how to let your game die 101

Miles probably would've run it again at Miles Warehouse2 in January but I doubt he will since there's already 6 events unfortunately man

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
We will have international guest(s) at this event again one way or another. This is already in the works!
I would think that a donation drive similar to SS will be happening for this. However I was also thinking of trying to get international attendance for a Sydney Major likely in July (only 2 months later) hopefully with ACL and having a donation drive for that as well.
Question is are people willing to donate for each events international attendance especially when donations would need to start pretty much as soon as BAM 7 is done?

Also are your guests aimed at Melee/PM specifically or are you looking at Smash 4 personalities as well?

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
Melbourne loves the melee gords! Some people may push for smash 4 but I think there's going to be enough energy for at least one melee person based on this year

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Melee has almost all the votes on FB so it's gonna be melee personality(s) unless donors/intrest for smash 4 steps up.

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
could I get a link to this FB poll?

also i would expect that melee would be the priority (its my priority as well) but if a second was to come like last year then would you consider a Smash 4 personality (eg Dabuz, NAKAT)

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Look on the melbourne smash fb group. Harry ponting has more votes than anything not melee. and melee is more than 4x anything else. A 2nd person being a smash 4 personality is not really on the plate unless people vote for it with their wallets when a real donation drive comes.

heck more people want Michael Jordan at 6 votes than a smash 4 person at 3 votes rofl. melee is over 60 votes

Last edited:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Given that smash 4 isn't actually released yet, I'd expect popularity to be a little low at this point. It's coming!

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Given that smash 4 isn't actually released yet, I'd expect popularity to be a little low at this point. It's coming!
I completely disagree with the idea that Smash 4 is going to boom to the point that it gets close to melee in terms of competitive demand or international intrest in the next 6-9 months. We might get entrant numbers to be similar if not more for smash 4, but as for the people who will put money towards internationals I think it's a different story.

Wiiu sales are less than 1/5th of the 3ds, and while some people are gonna get a wiiu just for smash 4, its not going to be that large of a margin to step up. Most people who planned to get smash games, wether it be casually or competitively, have already gotten the 3ds one.

I do believe we will see increased numbers and turn-out for a console version since it will be about 10000x better to play with a gamecube controller, have a real screen and have proper setups, but most people who care enough about smash 4 to actually play it competitively have already gotten then 3ds version.

The issue here is that most people i know who have played smash 3ds who were optimistic about it and it's wii-u counterpart, or were planning to get the wii-u counterpart on its own have already said no. This being from people who play melee super hardcore (myself, s.d, tak, forte, atticus ect ect) or brawl/pm converts i know through netplay (dd, mattg, cole, nz people ect) or even what I'm reading on FB groups. These are the people who I think if they were super keen on smash 4 being huge, would be putting money towards international people, where as their choice now seems to be more towards melee thus the money would go to melee.

As for newer people who will come in the upcoming 6 months, I don't see most of them making the transition from "hey I just showed up for my first tournament" to "I love smash 4 so much i want to put money towards internation player x" in a matter of months before either BAM7 or ACL 2015 to completely overthrow the demand for melee internationals.

Like hell yeah I hope smash 4 super explodes and melee gets even bigger and its one big family and we all have huge tournaments love all round nintendo comes to the party, I'm looking at the real numbers and the trends within our actual groups here.

This is why in the end I say vote with your wallet as while we will try get anyone we can over, the big sponsored people right now with REAL teams are all pure melee people, so any smash 4 players would need to be completely crowd funded. The only smash 4 enthusists I see being picked up that soon that we could possibly get sponsor help from is Zero or M2K and I know one of them is already off the table.

My 2c no hate on smash 4

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Im just wondering who is a smash 4 personality thats not a melee/PM player? Im not really following the competitive scene much for smash 4 and no one has really stood out to me as someone who would be good to invite over just for smash 4.

DD_

Smash Journeyman
Im just wondering who is a smash 4 personality thats not a melee/PM player? Im not really following the competitive scene much for smash 4 and no one has really stood out to me as someone who would be good to invite over just for smash 4.
So Rude Lexxy.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
At the moment I feel it'll be hard to find a Smash 4 personality who really shows a dominance in Smash 4's current state. Yes, this is 6 months away but it is unlikely the development of the metagame can shape such a player who can get ahead of the curve that quickly and form superiority over others. I think we'd be best waiting until 2016 before we think about funding good Smash 4 players.

Attila_

BRoomer
Well put. Only time will tell. With proper marketing and (possible?) Support from Nintendo, expecting 150-200 entrants wouldn't be unreasonable.

Zero? He'd kick all your asses in melee anyway.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Well put. Only time will tell. With proper marketing and (possible?) Support from Nintendo, expecting 150-200 entrants wouldn't be unreasonable.

Zero? He'd kick all your ***** in melee anyway.
Zero would body us in melee, lot's of people seem to like the idea of iconic/lovable players though, adam and joey were amazing cause they were just so damn cool.

And yeah man, id love for nintendo to jump in man, or anything. Like crowd funding isnt bad but it would be so cool if we could get multiple people over without even needing to do it.

I also do think we actually can break 150 entrants with BAM7. Just need to put it out there well and hype it enough for local and new wiiu players to come.

Lex__

Smash Journeyman

Zero? He'd kick all your ***** in melee anyway.
Zero is a brawl/melee/PM player, and is more prominently known for those over his 'skills' in smash 4. You didnt answer my question of a smash 4 player who would be invited over for his smash 4 skills over his melee/pm/brawl skills.

Gords

Smash Champion
I agree with @ Redact Redact in that the current pool of players that would be donating this year are still predominately here for melee. Also with Smash 4 being so young it actually makes sense to bring over players for melee as they are more well known and have the sponsorship.
Out of curiosity, who out of Zero and M2K has already been ruled out?

@ Lex__ Lex__ current notable Smash 4 personalities atm would include Nairo, NAKAT, Dabuz. Yes i know they are or have been known for their brawl exploits in the past but at the moment they are the ones making names for themselves in the Smash 4 realm.

Attila_

BRoomer
Zero is a brawl/melee/PM player, and is more prominently known for those over his 'skills' in smash 4. You didnt answer my question of a smash 4 player who would be invited over for his smash 4 skills over his melee/pm/brawl skills.
zzz

Smash 4 isn't even really out yet. And logically, all the best smash 4 players will be people who have played other games. People completely new to the franchise have years to catch up on.

Gords

Smash Champion
We're ruling out Armada and Lucky simply for variety's sake.
so basically your saying M2K is ruled out becuase he has been here before.

and why PPMD, he would be awesome. we only need him and Hbox to have all 5 Gods + the King to have been in Aus.

I wouldnt mind seeing leffen, axe, hax, D1 (not a player but still), pewpewu here

Lex__

Smash Journeyman

and why PPMD, he would be awesome. we only need him and Hbox to have all 5 Gods + the King to have been in Aus.

I wouldnt mind seeing leffen, axe, hax, D1 (not a player but still), pewpewu here
Im pretty sure redact contacted him and mango and they said they cant make it atm.

(Redact could you back this up?)

Last edited:

Attila_

BRoomer
M2K is ruled out because he has been here before and left a bad taste. People loved Mango, so I don't think he's 'ruled out' just yet.

Armada was the best contributor imo though

UpDown13

Smash Rookie
What's the possibility of chudat or chillin coming, they're some of my favourite players. :)

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
People I've contacted and they said they are keen as and should be able to come:

hax
chillin
ppu
hugs
axe

people I've tired to contact with no reply yet:

pp
mango
s2j
amsa

No one has said no at this stage.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
We're ruling out Armada and Lucky simply for variety's sake.
"we're" dunno where you got this from but you've not been involved in any TO groups im aware of, unless someone else has talked to you but I can tell you they're wrong. I was planning to talk to lucky and adam to test the waters again regardless. It's up to people who vote with their wallet.

Armada/lucky has been the best visitor duo by far, i myself would put bucketloads towards bringing either if not both back again just because they contributed heaps and i know lots of others would too.

Last edited:

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman

M2K didn't really contribute much and rubbed people the wrong way on his trip down here, so it's more for that reason than the fact that he has been here before.

Last edited:

sundowns

Smash Rookie
Hopefully the stars align and I'll be able to make it over for this. Are you intending to hold a PM tourny and it's still in the works? Naturally this would encourage more fellow Perthies to get involved.

Also I'm a predominantly PM player and I would prefer a Melee international guest over any other game any day of the week, just sayin'

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Also are we not going to talk about leffen? Its not like australia to dislike a villian + underdog, do people really not like him?

DutchGC

Smash Rookie
I think with a little bit more of a push mango will be available to come. On stream today he said "F*** it, lets go to australia"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom