• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basic Neutral Game/Approach Options

The_Most_Effectual

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EarthBoundNerdC
After watching Armada go almost entirely Peach at TBH, I've been really inspired to step up my own Peach game. Peach is much less straightforward in her play than Marth, so I've come here to ask for some advice from you guys, because I'm more or less clueless as to how to play her well. I kind of just throw out hitboxes and hope things go well--and at my level they tend to so. I don't really know what I should be looking for in a match, I just kind of think to myself "hit them with something," and then I do, but I don't know where to go from there. The only way I really know how to approach is with FC Fair, and that does me some good, but I would really appreciate an overview of what I should be looking for in different situations, whether grabs, a down-smash, or what have you. I'm not sure if any of this makes sense, or if I sound really shallow or what, but anything helps.

BiscuitTricks

Smash Rookie
Turnips are good, especially against Marth. They get you grabs, combos, edgeguards, etc. Just be careful about when you pull them.

If you think they're going to jump when you approach, you can call that out with an upair. This sometimes eats their double jump and sets up for combos and edgeguard situations.

FC Nair on shield to grab is true, just be careful as the timing is pretty tight. You can also FC bair turnaround grab.

Running shield always works if you think they're coming in aggressive. You can FC nair OoS faster than most of their options. You can also Up B if you're under pressure, but that won't lead to much.

If they're poking around, like Marth dtilt, don't forget Peach has a good crouch cancel. Dsmash yes of course, but CC dtilt sets up for combos and kills nicely.

Be very conservative of dash attack in the neutral. Use it when you know you'll get the punish for a whiffed move or when you're pretty confident they won't expect it. Armada has said that dash attack and dash grab are good to mix up because the animations look a bit similar at start up and might cause your opponent to react to one over the other. Just don't spam one option too much.

Try to bait out moves as Peach and punish whiffs aggressively with the amazing FC and turnip game she has.

Bair is a bit disjointed and fairly fast to throw out so don't forget to use it now and then to space them away.

Uhh, idk, that's the general Peach learner's pack I have for you lol.

The_Most_Effectual

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EarthBoundNerdC
So I know this is super general and maybe a bit shallow to ask, but would you classify Peach as a more defensive character than an aggressive one? Should I bait out attacks like you talked about using stuff like well-spaced floats, dash-dancing, and wavedashes? I play Marth as well, so I'm pretty used to baiting and punishing, I would just have to learn to do so with Peach. The way you describe it it seems like I should definitely try to play more defensively, and maybe my balls-to-the-wall play style I've used with her so far is why I'm so confused on how she should be played lol.

Genuine

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion asking whether peach is a defensive or offensive character is a bad question. From experience, I find being overly aggressive as peach in neutral is bad. What's not bad is safe aggression. Like you were saying earlier about how you throw out moves and hope it hits. That is a good strategy for peach. Whether you realize it or not, you are controlling space in the neutral by throwing out fast FC aerials (and it's relatively safe). I'm starting to realize peach is really good at controlling space, which is why you hear some people say that playing against armada is like playing against a brick wall. He's really good at controlling space as peach.

Peach is really, really, really slow, so just being flat out aggressive is bad as any character that is faster than peach can just run around you and kite you all day. HOWEVER, if you start controlling certain parts of the stage with your aerials, you essentially limit where your opponent can go. IE You can corner your opponent or force them into bad situations by just being peach. This opens up a window where you can be aggressive. And this the part where a lot of peach players fall off. Once you get the opening, you need to keep up the aggression. You really need to PUNISH your opponent for their decisions, but at the same time not overextend. A lot of times when peach wins neutral, she wins neutral really hard (MU dependent), so you gotta milk it really hard b.c its not easy getting an opening as peach.

TL;DR
It's not about peach being a defensive or offensive character. It's about knowing when you can be aggressive and knowing when you have to be defensive.

The_Most_Effectual

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EarthBoundNerdC
So, I should: Wall out, wait for your opponent to get impatient and make a mistake, and then capitalize hard? What kind of mistakes should I be looking for? And what if my opponent is spamming lasers and forcing me to approach?

BiscuitTricks

Smash Rookie
So, I should: Wall out, wait for your opponent to get impatient and make a mistake, and then capitalize hard? What kind of mistakes should I be looking for? And what if my opponent is spamming lasers and forcing me to approach?
You're pretty much asking "How do I play the neutral?" This is something that can't be quantified or summed up in a few sentences. Each entire game and situation varies with numerous factors. Take the options you have and apply them when you think they'll work. When they don't, you've learned and can add it to your experience. Neutral game is something you just have to feel out over time. It's why there's different styles despite the characters being the exact same between players like Hax and Mang0, Bladewise and MacD, The Moon and PewPewU, etc.

In general, you try to threaten the opponent's space while maintaining good positioning (eg center stage, below platform). As you threaten their space, they'll move back or push in. They'll also be trying to do the same thing to you. Look for times where they're stuck in the lag of a whiffed move or they're in a bad position and press the small advantage that gives you. You're waiting for a mistake in a WAY, but not an obvious one. More like, they overextended a little or they tried something risky or not guaranteed. Then you capitalize with an option you think should work.

If the opponent is Fox and spamming lasers cuz WOW FOX NEEDS TO DO THAT then you just have to approach. This puts you at a bit of a disadvantage, but it's still doable. Keep note of their movement when you approach them as they're lasering. Do they usually jump onto the platform? Short hop nair? Wavedash shine? Prepare for that option next time as they inevitably set up camp again. And when you get an opening from catching their movement, you need to punish hard.

That's the best I can do with really, really broad questions. Hope it helps.

Top Bottom