• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banjo-Kazooie: Dynamic Jiggy Duo - Project Dream

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Banjo and Kazooie are the iconic duo of Rareware fame who first premiered in Diddy Kong Racing for the N64 (well Banjo did, at any rate). But what they are most known for is a pair of excellent platform games that have stood the test of time, some might even call them the best of the genre. Banjo-Kazooie was the first proper entry into the franchise and introduced us to the beloved duo who were off to fight the evil witch Gruntilda. Banjo and Kazooie have since gone away, with but a few handheld games and another we won't speak of here. But recently, several new developments have unfolded which give us all hope...
Join the support for Banjo & Kazooie, vote on the Smash Ballot!

N64 - 1998

N64 - 2000

GBA -

During Rare's golden years, they were a second party developer for Nintendo, creating quality games one after another. But as many fans know, this wouldn't last. In 2002, the company was bought by Microsoft and moved on to create games for the then new XBox console. Gone were the glory days at Nintendo, and along with them went Banjo... for a time. Banjo is still fondly remembered today as a character born with Nintendo who simply left home. Many thought Banjo should have been in the first Smash Bros., but as he was gone with Rare, the series continued without him.

So why are we here today?

Phil Spencer, head of Microsoft's XBox division, says it's entirely possible for Banjo to be in Smash.

So what are you doing? As Gruntilda would say:
That bear is dumb and the bird is lame, go vote for me to be in this game!

Ahem, err, don't do that, vote for Banjo and Kazooie!

Statistics
Size: Around Mario's height.
Weight: Around R.O.B.
Gravity: Around Ness.
Jump Height: Around Mario.
Jump Speed: Around Pikachu.
Air Speed: Around DK.
Walk Speed: Around Olimar.
Dash Speed: Around Shulk.
Traction: Around G&W.

Mirrored
Standard Combo - Claw Swipe

Banjo swipes up to three times with his claws and finishes with a strong blow.
Forward Tilt - Thrust Peck
Banjo leans forward and Kazooie thrusts out to attack with her beak.
Up Tilt - Wing Whack
Kazooie swipes her wings upward twice, slicing through the air.
Down Tilt - Beak Barge
Banjo crouches and slides forward as Kazooie thrusts her beak along the ground.

Dash Attack - Forward Roll
Banjo curls up and rolls across the ground as Kazooie wraps her wings around him.
Forward Smash - Breegull Bash
Banjo pulls Kazooie out of the backpack completely and slams her down on the ground.
Up Smash - Beak Bayonet
Banjo pulls Kazooie out and thrusts her upwards, attacking with her beak.
Down Smash - Bear Spin
Banjo does a quick spin kick, similar to Mario's down smash.

Neutral Aerial - Pack Wack
Banjo swings his backpack in a circle around himself.
Forward Aerial - Rat-a-tat Rap
Banjo lowers his head and Kazooie pecks forward three times, slows descent.
Up Aerial - Bear Flip
Banjo does a flip kick in the air with a wide upward range.
Down Aerial - Beak Buster
Banjo curls up and plummets downward as Kazooie thrusts her beak.
Back Arial - Back Kick
A very descriptive title, Banjo flattens himself out and kicks backwards.

Pummel - Peck
Kazooie pecks at the opponent as Banjo holds onto them.
Forward Throw - Twirl-a-Whirl
Banjo spins and throws the opponent forward.
Up Throw - Flap Flip
Banjo throws the opponent into the air then backflips with help from Kazooie, kicking them away.
Down Throw - Drill Bill
Banjo slams the opponent on the ground then Kazooie drills into them with her beak.
Back Throw - Egg Lay
Banjo tosses the opponent backwards, Kazooie quickly lays an egg into them.

Neutral Special 1 - Egg Fire (Blue)
Banjo crouches down and Kazooie fires a simple blue egg, can fire thrice in quick succession.
Neutral Special 2 - Egg Fire (Ice)
Kazooie is slightly slower to fire the eggs, but they fly further and can freeze opponents at high percentage.
Neutral Special 3 - Fire Eggs
Kazooie fires them even slower, but they are the strongest projectile eggs.

Side Special 1 - Talon Trot
Kazooie will spring out onto her feet to give Banjo a rest, this move has no hitbox but allows the duo to quickly run around.
Side Special 2 - Wonder Wing
Kazooie covers Banjo with her wings and uses Golden Feathers to attack opponents. Trades speed for raw power.
Side Special 3 - Turbo Talon Trot
Kazooie sprints at incredible speed with her running shoes, she can't turn around or stop until the move ends.
Up Special 1 - Shock Spring Jump
A Shock Spring Pad appears, Kazooie stretches her legs out and bolts into the air, hitting opponents on the way up.
Up Special 2 - Flight
Kazooie soars off of a Flight Pad into the air, this has more horizontal and vertical movement, but lacks a hitbox.
Up Special 3 - Warp
A Warp Pad makes the duo disappear and reappear in whatever direction is held.

Down Special 1 - Clockwork Kazooie
Kazooie lays a Clockwork Egg that hatches a mini robot Kazooie. The bot functions similarly to a Mecha Koopa.
Down Special 2 - Grenade Egg Lay
Kazooie lays a Grenade Egg that bounces along the ground before exploding. Stronger than Clockwork Eggs.
Down Special 3 - Battery Egg Lay
This egg bounces around erratically switching directions. It's the weakest of the three, but it will trap opponents for a moment.

Final Smash - Wonder Wing Flight
Kazooie uses both gold feathers and red feathers to take off into the air and gain invulnerability. During flight, she can rapid fire golden eggs to inflict damage, or Beak Bomb into opponents. The final smash ends after the 10 feather counter drops to 0.

Miscellaneous
Entrance - Appears on the entrance pad from Banjo-Kazooie.
Taunt 1 - Banjo gives a thumbs up and makes his iconic "Guh-huh!"
Taunt 2 - Kazooie makes her iconic "Breegul!" noise and flaps her wings lightly.
Taunt 3- Banjo waves a Jiggy around before Kazooie grabs it.
Victory 1 - Banjo does the full Jiggy dance from Banjo-Kazooie, when a Jiggy would be collected.
Victory 2 - Banjo plays his namesake instrument as Kazooie plays a kazoo.
Victory 3 - Banjo and Kazooie bow multiple times.
Victory music: Jiggy Fanfare.

WORK IN PROGRESS

Project Dream
Banjo-Kazooie began development as an RPG for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, code named "Project Dream" which was to feature a boy named Edison who'd have to fight pirates led by Captain Blackeye. The game quickly grew to be too expensive for the limits of the SNES system capabilities and production shifted focus to the upcoming Nintendo 64. Several other changes happened during development, leading to the game we know today. Captain Blackeye made a cameo appearance in Banjo-Tooie, where he makes several references to the old "Dream."

Stop 'N' Swop
The famous secrets teased at the end of Banjo-Kazooie by Mumbo were going to be apart of a package known as Stop 'N' Swop. The idea was players with Banjo-Tooie could take out the game cartridge in play and insert Banjo-Kazooie to transfer their stop-and-swap items. Due to technical limitations from various upgrades to the Nintendo 64 console and Nintendo company's apprehension for players hot-swapping cartridges, potentially damaging the player's system, the idea was never implemented. Three eggs and an ice key can instead be found in Banjo-Tooie, and while the fully purpose of Stop 'N' Swop is still unknown to this day, the original items can be found in Banjo-Kazooie using sandcastle codes.

King Jingaling: JamesDNaux
82 Members of the Jinjo Family!

White Jinjo House
legendofrob1
Grey Jinjo House
Phil Spencer (Is cool with it)
SalsaSavant ~ Banjodorf ~ ShinyRegice ~ HarajukuNinja ~ 8-peacock-8 ~ gridatttack ~ PsychoIncarnate ~ Reila ~ BowserK.Rool ~ Smasher 101 ~ fenyx4 ~ SeanS ~ ItsMeBrandon ~ Shog ~ DukeNapoleon ~ VeemonTamer ~ Neighbor_Kid ~ bksbestbwoy ~ maxpower1227 ~ Simensis ~ TheMasterDS ~ Gene ~ OmegaSorin ~ Someguyyoulikelydontknow ~ Dendros ~ Gidy ~ Quillion ~ Dr.Megaman ~ Rosalina supporter ~ RareMan7 ~ Sponge ~ Captain Hotcakes ~ Sailor Waddle Dee ~ PokéMurio ~ DraculaSb ~ NonSpecificGuy ~ CommanderZaktan ~ PLATINUM7 ~ Bobert77
Orange Jinjo House
Sabrewulf238 ~ ryuu seika ~ MagnesD3 ~ Roger Smith ~ CitrusRain
Yellow Jinjo House
onii333 ~ Geoffrey Druyts ~ Rivaderick16 ~ Rockaphin
Brown Jinjo House
Jaster ~ Daybreak
Green Jinjo House
N3ON ~ RedFlyNinja ~ Mikegamer0608 ~ Manic Rykker ~ foolssigma ~ SilverWolf7 ~ Rock & Roller Wabbit
Red Jinjo House
Alex Night ~ Diddy Kong ~ Organization XIII
Blue Jinjo House
TheAnvil ~ SegaNintendoUbisoft ~ TaichiYaegashi ~ Zoljinx ~ Rueckkoppler ~ Narth ~ Cliff Jumper ~ Zzuxon ~ Wintropy ~ BirthNote ~ fogbadge
Purple Jinjo House
Kalimdori ~ HotNTasty ~ Mr. Marowak
Black Jinjo House
Azure Warrior ~ BakaCirno ~ SpaceJell0 ~ kirbyfan351 ~ FinalStarmen
The Mighty Jinjonator: Scoliosis Jones

HEAVY WORK IN PROGRESS!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's ****ing it, I'm going to vote for these guys in a heartbeat since I really want them in Smash sooooooo bad! :cry:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
What?

WHAT?

NO. DON'T PLAY WITH MY HEART LIKE THIS. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE. I CAN'T.

Why would they be so cruel. Oh wait, it's M$.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
OOOH YESSS!!!!

I was looking for the "Wohey!" shout by Captain Blubber, but couldn't find it :chuckle:

Oh man... I don't know about the chances but that would be simply awesome! I will vote for them!!

BTW: Is there a support thread for Banjo-Kazooie?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If we start voting for Banjo, we to make it loud and clear.

BUY BANJO BACK FROM M$.

If by some miracle we did get Banjo as he is now, we'd have that horrible blocky mess that builds cars, not the one we love.

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Of course. But IF he gets in, we can expect Sakurai to choose his old, great design & make it look like the concept art - but IN MOTION! Oh god, I'm so hyped :awesome:

Yes, they would need to do something about Banjo. I don't know if its possible to buy him back (that would save the franchise imho), but they should at least put a similar port like the XBLA versions of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on the eShop. Or AT LEAST put them as direct ports from the N64 on there, I would be happy nonetheless.

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
If we start voting for Banjo, we to make it loud and clear.

BUY BANJO BACK FROM M$.

If by some miracle we did get Banjo as he is now, we'd have that horrible blocky mess that builds cars, not the one we love.
I think Sakurai would use the classic design but a little updated graphics wise. I really don't think we'd see N&B Banjo in Smash, as it's too close a reference to his time at Xbox.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Real game changer, considered someone official mentioned that they worked IP issues with Nintendo before means that banjo is possible to be in smash.

And I agree, the old design would be better. The Nuts N bolts one is weird...

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
Real game changer, considered someone official mentioned that they worked IP issues with Nintendo before means that banjo is possible to be in smash.

And I agree, the old design would be better. The Nuts N bolts one is weird...
Yeah, the old one would be a direct reference to his time with Nintendo and better fits with the rest of the cast as a whole. Would be awesome if they could get the classic Banjo games on the Wii U VC as well!

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
So what was an impossible pipe dream skyrocketed to an actual contender. I never played Banjo's game, but I know how popular the N64 games are and I'd be hyped to see them in Smash. I considered getting Banjo & Kazooie for N64 if my console and controller still work, and learning that they could become actual Smash contenders makes me want to get it even more. Or maybe if it comes to the Wii U VC by some miracle.

Assuming they get in it's more likely that their universe's representation will be based on the N64 games considering those are the ones a lot of Nintendo fans enjoyed the most. However I think we should expect some mention of the Microsoft Banjo games as it would be a cross-platform promotion similar to how Snake was promoting the last Metal Gear game at the time (I believe) despite it not releasing on Nintendo platforms.

I hope I had childhood relationship with these characters because if it was the case my hype from this announcement would increase to insane levels and I kinda feel ashamed about the idea of being a N64 kid who never played the Banjo games. However I'm really enthusiast at the idea of BK being playable in Smash and I'm going to support them now that they're within the real of possibility!

Last edited:

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
So what was an impossible pipe dream skyrocketed to an actual contender. I never played Banjo's game, but I know how popular the N64 games are and I'd be hyped to see them in Smash. I considered getting Banjo & Kazooie for N64 if my console and controller still work, and learning that they could become actual Smash contenders makes me want to get it even more. Or maybe if it comes to the Wii U VC by some miracle.

Assuming they get in it's more likely that their universe's representation will be based on the N64 games considering those are the ones a lot of Nintendo fans enjoyed the most. However I think we should expect some mention of the Microsoft Banjo games as it would be a cross-platform promotion similar to how Snake was promoting the last Metal Gear game at the time (I believe) despite it not releasing on Nintendo platforms.

I hope I had childhood relationship with these characters because if it was the case my hype from this announcement would increase to insane levels and I kinda feel ashamed about the idea of being a N64 who never played the Banjo games. However I'm really enthusiast at the idea of BK being playable in Smash and I'm going to support them now that they're within the real of possibility!
If you have an Xbox 360, is strongly recommend you download the N64 remake of Banjo-Kazooie from the XBLA, it's the best version of it!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the difficulty here would be convincing Nintendo to actually take the demand seriously, which could really only be accomplish if it was overwhelming.

Or if they had a sit-down with M$ about it. That's kind of out of our hands though.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think the difficulty here would be convincing Nintendo to actually take the demand seriously, which could really only be accomplish if it was overwhelming.

Or if they had a sit-down with M$ about it. That's kind of out of our hands though.
There could be a way they'd work it out to benefit them both.

Banjo Threeie is long-expected to be shown at E3 this year, maybe they could do a 3DS exclusive game to coincide with it, or port it to the Wii U too. Nintendo and Microsoft don't consider eachother to be competition.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
If you have an Xbox 360, is strongly recommend you download the N64 remake of Banjo-Kazooie from the XBLA, it's the best version of it!
No I don't have one, but I have a friend who has one. He doesn't want to spend money for video games atm, but maybe I could pay it for him if he agrees. If my Nintendo 64 doesn't work anymore then I could play BK at his home where I come from time to time. Problem, he has Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (and a Wii obviously) and it's my favourite game he has, and I play it whenever I go at his home. Considering I don't have that much time to play FE when I go at his home then I'll have even less time to play both FE and Banjo. Unless he allows me to borrow FE, it was my game at first after all :laugh:

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There could be a way they'd work it out to benefit them both.

Banjo Threeie is long-expected to be shown at E3 this year, maybe they could do a 3DS exclusive game to coincide with it, or port it to the Wii U too. Nintendo and Microsoft don't consider eachother to be competition.
I think they do when it comes to consoles...

But yes there could be a wait to help promote it, 3ds title and Smash DLC included, the question is would the two come to an agreement about it?

Last edited:

HarajukuNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
harajuku_ninja
3DS FC
3523-3461-8281
I wanted to vote Banjo-Kazooie, but I thought it would be a waste if I did. But this....

The dream is here people :colorful:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

But yes there could be a wait to help promote it, 3ds title and Smash DLC included, the question is would the two come to an agreement about it?
Hmmmm... That could work.

I can't believe we're talking about this as an ACTUAL POSSIBILITY, N3ON! Is this real life?!

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Microsoft have openly said that Nintendo make the best 1st party games, and recommend that MS fans buy their consoles as a complement to the MS ones. (Sony always rag on Nintendo though).

I'm sure they could come to an agreement some way, it would just have to be a case of Nintendo wanting it enough now.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd only want Banjo & Kazooie if they were based on the classics. None of that nuts and bolts nonsense.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hmmmm... That could work.

I can't believe we're talking about this as an ACTUAL POSSIBILITY, N3ON! Is this real life?!
Is this just fantasy?

We're caught in a landslide,

but there's no escape from reality. There are unfortunately still a lot of steps between Phil Spencer not having a problem with it and it actually coming to fruition. :/

However if the word spreads and the popularity rises... maybe there's a chance?

Microsoft have openly said that Nintendo make the best 1st party games, and recommend that MS fans buy their consoles as a complement to the MS ones. (Sony always rag on Nintendo though).

I'm sure they could come to an agreement some way, it would just have to be a case of Nintendo wanting it enough now.
I think Nintendo would 1) have to see the overwhelming popularity and 2) actually be aware that M$ was open to it before anything could transpire...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd only want Banjo & Kazooie if they were based on the classics. None of that nuts and bolts nonsense.
If we had the REAL Pac-Man instead of that blue eyed abomination from the Ghostly Adventures, then there's no doubt that Sakurai would give us the Banjo that we all grew up with.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Is this just fantasy?

We're caught in a landslide,

but there's no escape from reality. There are unfortunately still a lot of steps between Phil Spencer not having a problem with it and it actually coming to fruition. :/

However if the word spreads and the popularity rises... maybe there's a chance?

I think Nintendo would 1) have to see the overwhelming popularity and 2) actually be aware that M$ was open to it before anything could transpire...
Those two things wouldn't be TOO hard; it just would require dedication from us fans. Get Grant and Playtonic and Gears to spread awareness, etc. as far as I know, Banjo was one of the most discussed non-Nintendo candidates in Japan, other than Snake because vet.

But...to choose between Banjo and K. Rool...I don't want to make this choice!!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Just watching the opening sequence to Banjo Kazooie....

Intense love.......resurfacing.....

I still feel suspicious about this. I've spent most of my time as a Smash fan hardly even thinking about Banjo & Kazooie because they were beyond unlikely but now? Don't do this to me. :(

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Those two things wouldn't be TOO hard; it just would require dedication from us fans. Get Grant and Playtonic and Gears to spread awareness, etc. as far as I know, Banjo was one of the most discussed non-Nintendo candidates in Japan, other than Snake because vet.

But...to choose between Banjo and K. Rool...I don't want to make this choice!!
Nah, I'll choose Banjo! Watching stuff from Banjo-Tooie makes it even easier for me:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
New sig hype. The golden trio... I will support them all until the end!

The day I can play as Banjo, Rayman, and Snake within Smash... will be indescribable.

I don't care if it's less likely than even Ridley, Banjo is my absolute favorite.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
That's....surprising...

Totally not complaining though or against this, that would be awesome!

Top Bottom