• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banjo-Kazooie: Dynamic Jiggy Duo - Project Dream

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
BTW, it seems that Grant's Jungle World theme samples some bits from B-K and B-T. I can hears some Bubblegloop Swamp with Cloud Cuckooland, as well as a bit of Freezeezy Peak. Any other bits that sound familiar to you?
I definitely thought it sounded familiar.. but this is Grant we are talking about though XD

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't hear any Cluckooland Swamp (oddly enough, a friend of mine also said it reminded him of Bubblegloop).

But the track screams Terrydactyland up and down.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Actually, the first thought I had when listening to Grant Kirkhope's song was Terrydactyland. I think it's just that it more has to do with the style of the two songs, rather than the melodies (although the beginning chords are similar too, I believe). I thought I heard a bit of Bubblegloop in the melody myself though, I'm sure of it. Heck, I may have felt reminded of Treasure Trove Cove at some parts...

As for other songs... well, I'm not going to be surprised by what people mention (so long as it's a BK game) because Kirkhope's song sounds very similar to his past work, so it makes sense to me that people would perceive similarities to just about any of it.

(And if you listen closely, you know it's Mr. Kirkhope because the song is in the pitch of C. Nearly all of the BK songs were in the pitch of C.)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I does feel like Terrydactyland and maybe Bubblegloop Swamp, or even parts of Hailfire Peaks but, more than anything, it just sounds like generic Banjo Kazooie music, which was exactly what it was intended to do.
I really don't hear the Treasure Trove Cove/Breagull Beach in it though and Grunty's Revenge trained me well when it came to listening for that one.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Looks like the Kickstarter has slowed down pretty much. We haven't reached the newest stretch goal yet. Might take a couple of days.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I expected the Kickstarter to slow down for a while now. I suppose it's a good thing that things took longer to slow down than I thought, but we've reached the point where we're just waiting to see what happens.

I mean, still. We've hit all the essential goals in the first day, and blew through the extra two the next. I'm sure we'll hit the final extra goal (I assume it is, judging by the note below it), but regardless of whether we do or not, this game is going to be amazing, whichever way you look at it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Since I enjoy copying Twitter conversations in this thread, here's a Q&A with co-composer David Wise. He provides some interesting insights in how he makes music for this game. That last tweet was stirring indeed.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
yay!.. my sister returned her trip, and which means, I can borrow her DS again.. =P

--btw, what's up with all those complaints about Yooka lacking clothes?.. geez, those people never played a platform game in the 90s? .. the great majority of the characters were naked.. and there's no problem on it; .. Going even further, they never watched a conventional cartoon with anthropomorphic animals? Woody Woodpecker, Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, Chip 'n Dale.. you name it.
I guess it's just the bad habit of expect over-designed characters.. >_> Yooka is perfect how he is. (and Laylee too)

Attachments

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Laylee could use less nose IMO and maybe more top hat as suggested on this thread but the only clothing idea I've thought sounded even remotely worthwhile for Yooka was a floral hawaiian shirt and even then I'm not fully sold.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
yay!.. my sister returned her trip, and which means, I can borrow her DS again.. =P

--btw, what's up with all those complaints about Yooka lacking clothes?.. geez, those people never played a platform game in the 90s? .. the great majority of the characters were naked.. and there's no problem on it; .. Going even further, they never watched a conventional cartoon with anthropomorphic animals? Woody Woodpecker, Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, Chip 'n Dale.. you name it.
I guess it's just the bad habit of expect over-designed characters.. >_> Yooka is perfect how he is. (and Laylee too)
Maybe its because the characters of Rareware specifically had always some kind of clothing... DK had his tie, Diddy the shirt & hat, Conker the hoodie with sneakers, Banjo his shorts & backpack... I see where they're coming from.

However, Steve Mayles said this in an interview today:

Finally, why isn’t Yooka wearing any trousers?

Well, I tried gloves, shoes, a hoody, trousers, knee pads and even leg warmers(!) But he just looked wrong. Or maybe it was my bad art skills? Anyway, au-naturale was the way to go. Especially since he’s going to need to use those special camo powers.
http://www.playtonicgames.com/the-man-behind-yooka-and-laylee/

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
It's not the nature of the characters in question, though.. They seem to be more part of a wild environment. (even though DK is also living in a wild jungle, his family and the society he lives is pretty much structured like a human community, by my point of view; And.. I thought that DK tie was Miyamoto idea... He went with Cranky also wearing a tie in DK'94)

--And I happy that Steve replied something in the subject;.. maybe people will accept that better now. (Oh.. they won't =P)

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
The Q&A with David Wise and the interview with Steve Mayles were fun to read. I really like how the team has kept their witty, British, Rare-like humor.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly, I think all Yooka needs is a scarf of some kind. To me he looks weird because his head's so big and his body's so slender, and I think a scarf would remedy that while also looking stylish as ****.

Laylee is fine as is, but that nose is a bit distracting, even for a cartoon character.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Maybe its because the characters of Rareware specifically had always some kind of clothing... DK had his tie, Diddy the shirt & hat, Conker the hoodie with sneakers, Banjo his shorts & backpack... I see where they're coming from.

However, Steve Mayles said this in an interview today:

http://www.playtonicgames.com/the-man-behind-yooka-and-laylee/
Personally, I'm glad that they didn't bother with the clothing since the last thing we need is anthro characters emulating the Sonic character design of wearing only gloves and shoes.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
So out of curiosity, I counted the pairs of googly eyes on Playtonic's Kickstarter page.

There are about 90 of them.

With that many googly eyes, you know this is going to be a good game.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Well, the Kickstarter is now over $2.140M so far. Guess it's going to take a while to reach the latest stretch goal, unless if they add more.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who identified where exactly that (what's on the screen) happens in the game?
Because I feel a bit like a nerd for doing so.
Add me to the nerd list. But it isn't too hard to recognize that place, isn't it?

im dissapointed i have yet to see any art of yooka and laylee with a banjo or even a ukelele. except this one. . .

There you go:

On Playtonics recent news post, they collected several fan art pictures... And seem to expand the list as time goes by.

The selection is too awesome. From a picture that seems to be ripped right out of an animated Yooka-Laylee-movie:

From kawaii:

...to disturbingly hardcore:

... I love 'em all!

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well it seems my Banjo-Kazooie cart is completely dead, I can't even get it to turn on. RIP blowing cartridges.

At least Banjo-Tooie works fine, and that one is my favorite game ever anyway.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Well. We are at $2,241,852. Not quite at the goal yet, but we are close.

<1,500,000 Pounds - $2,271,900 = (Music at it's best! Orchestral score (Orchestra TBD) *additional funding also helps us to continue to polish the game to the Nth degree!*)>

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Well. We are at $2,241,852. Not quite at the goal yet, but we are close.

<1,500,000 Pounds - $2,271,900 = (Music at it's best! Orchestral score (Orchestra TBD) *additional funding also helps us to continue to polish the game to the Nth degree!*)>
Yep, less than 38.000 £ left!

edit:

Feels just like another scene from the Banjo games :awesome:

Last edited:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Here's a nice topic that we haven't brought up since the Kickstarter.

Do you think that this game should use a proper Stop n Swop feature, and if so, how would it work?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Do you think that this game should use a proper Stop n Swop feature, and if so, how would it work?
I've already mentioned that they need to have some reference to it.

But unless they're planning a sequel, they should just throw in some eggs that unlock something nifty in the game.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I've already mentioned that they need to have some reference to it.

But unless they're planning a sequel, they should just throw in some eggs that unlock something nifty in the game.

Hopefully it would be more than just unlocking some fancy Xbox Live-styled backgrounds. I felt that was a wasted opportunity for the other eggs in XBLive's Tooie.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon

Well, off the top of my head, I think that'd depend on how faithful they want to be to their original intentions with Stop 'n' Swop.

The premise of Stop 'n' Swop as the team originally thought worked with the N64, not just because data was saved to the console for a few 10 seconds before getting wiped (thus the possibility of this feature, of course), but also because physically being able to switch cartridges was easy and quick as well (Edit). That's my opinion, anyway.

I don't think doing it like that would work now, since you can't switch game discs like you can cartridges. Plus, game consoles can now store game data on them directly, so there doesn't seem to be much need for the feature. It'd be more like a standard "get some more rewards for getting multiple games in the series" thing, assuming they make more Yooka-Laylee games. I wouldn't be against that, though, and similarly to @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux , I think a reference to the mechanic is all that the team should do for sure. Anything more would be nice, but not necessary, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
Well, if Stop n Swop did work on the original N64 versions, I would've like to see the rewards for the other eggs since they were left to waste.

With that decide, why don't we speculate on the other things mentioned on the stretch goals, such as as the 2.5D/3D mine cart levels that would be featured in almost every world. Now how would those work, do you suppose?

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Huh. $2,271,844. We are like literally a few pledges away from hitting that last goal. I'd be surprised if we don't hit it tomorrow.

It's been a rough climb for this last one, but at least we'll actually hit it. I can tell, This project is gonna be very promising.. Considering how much love (and cash..) the fans have poured into this thing, I hope they put in their best.

At any rate, I myself am heading out for the night. I'll be seeing ya everyone.

EDIT: Correction, we just now hit $2,272,045 as I was typing that comment.. looks like Yooka-Laylee had to prove me wrong with hitting it tomorrow XD

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I just hope Banjo and Kazooie make it in. They have the ballot box behind them. They poll very highly.
% Chance? I'm an optimist, but I don't know. Microsoft is open, Nintendo is in charge of the decision.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
There's a lot of shifty stuff going about with Rare. E3 might be interesting this year...

My bet is on more Kinknet Sports. They might be making an actual game though, but it remains to be seen if it will be any good.

Top Bottom