• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
That is intentional behavior. As Ivy you will have to try to anticipate when they will try to gimp you like that by doing vine whip a little earlier or later.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
is there the .txt version of the .gct anywhere? I'd like to get a hold of that for personal use with cheat manager 0.3

DrcK

Smash Rookie
How can I load BBrawl with USB Loader?
It doesn't work with Snapshot Loading

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The thing with not making Zelda & Sheik individually as good as any other character is that then they become broken together. Let's pretend that the only characters in the game were the characters up to Zelda & Sheik in roster order to make this example more illustrative. I'm going to make up random numbers for matchups that are definitely wrong. Zelda will be on the left; Sheik will be on the right.

Zelda --- Sheik
50-50 Mario 45-55
55-45 Luigi 50-50
45-55 Peach 50-50
60-40 Bowser 60-40
55-45 Donkey Kong 60-40
40-60 Diddy Kong 45-55
50-50 Yoshi 55-45
55-45 Wario 45-55
45-55 Link 55-45
50-50 Zelda 55-45
45-55 Sheik 50-50

Okay, now let's look at the matchups of someone who doesn't even switch mid-battle but simply picks one based on matchup at the start of each game (let's say he starts every battle as Zelda and immediately transforms to Sheik if she has a better matchup then never transforms again for the rest of the fight).

Mario 50-50
Luigi 55-45
Peach 50-50
Bowser 60-40
Donkey Kong 60-40
Diddy Kong 45-55
Yoshi 55-45
Wario 55-45
Link 55-45
Zelda 55-45
Sheik 50-50

Wow! The only disadvantage is to Diddy Kong (and it's the lesser of the two possible ones), and this hybrid charcter has advantages against nearly the entire cast. It's Meta Knight all over again. In any case, it's very, very obvious that this simple strategy (which doesn't even consider possible advantages from switching mid-match; you use a maximum of one switch per match) creates a character way better than using either Zelda or Sheik totally alone.

Hopefully this makes it very clear why Zelda and Sheik simply have to be worse individually than the other characters. If their individual selves are as good as everyone else, a joint strategy, even one that simply picks which one does best per matchup at the very start of the match that requires no familiarity with the switching system at all beyond "hit down-B to do it", is going to be ridiculously overpowered and result in Zelda & Sheik being far and away the best character... which we do not want. Our target, with this firmly in mind, was to make them still playable individually (which is better than they were in standard Brawl), but to put the actual design focus on the joint effort. They are probably a bit better than a normal character together, though not much, and definitely worse than a normal one alone. Other than flat out removing the down special and destroying what makes them unique, I see no other way to handle this situation.

I don't deny worrying about a similar situation arising with Samus and Zero Suit Samus either, before anyone else asks. Starting with Samus and switching straight to ZSS if she has a better matchup could be a problematically powerful strategy with Samus no longer being as bad as she was in standard Brawl, but we weren't able to get around to addressing that theoretical concern before release. If it proves a problem, I'm definitely ready to investigate the possibility of a code to prevent Samus from turning into Zero Suit Samus via special taunt.

I completely misunderstood and I apologize.

I realize there is probably no way to fix Lucas and Ness infinites without changing it on other characters.

As i mentioned before, I am extremely excited about this project (and love the changes my character got, though he got 2 small nerfs) and can't wait to get it started.

On that note I know nothing about hacking or downloading or anything. If anybody would be willing to spend a small amount of time talking me through this on AIM I would greatly appreciate it.
We have a hopefully self-explanatory 4 step process in the original post. If any step is unclear, I'm happy to explain. I consider technical support an important part of maintaining this project.

On another note, I had a minor desynch issue in an online friendly match today. It only happened once, and neither of us is sure how it happened. Basically, I was Falcon, he was Jigglypuff, and we were on Final Destination. I think the last move that happened before the desynch was him doing a dash attack with I almost floor teched, but ended up sliding off the stage and dieing with.

Not sure what caused it, but I'll keep you posted if I can figure it out.
Desynchs are never good, but if you two had subtly different versions of Bbrawl (those flaws in the release as it originally stood being in only one of your copies), that could explain it. Otherwise, I have no idea what this could be either.

I believe I found an unintended glitch pertaining to Ivysaur, more specifically Vine Whip. You know how during the time between a teather recovery is first used and the time that the teather actually reaches the ledge, that another character can grab onto the ledge (making the teather recovery look like it's going to be successful, but then it just fails when the teather medium reaches the occupied ledge)? Well, if someone does this to Ivysaur, Ivysaur enters a helpless state (which works against the idea of how the new Vine Whip was intended to be used).

EDIT: I can provide a replay of this if needed.
As stated by others, this is intended behavior. I will add that, in addition to mixing up the timing on Vine Whip to prevent the gimp, you can also B-reversal a Vine Whip away from the ledge to avoid targeting it. Then, once your opponent has grabbed it, you can easily turn around and use Vine Whip again to recover. It's pretty interesting gameplay IMO, and it's much more fair to Ivysaur than the standard Brawl mechanics.

is there the .txt version of the .gct anywhere? I'd like to get a hold of that for personal use with cheat manager 0.3
The first download link has exactly that available. The .txt for both NTSC and PAL is available.

How can I load BBrawl with USB Loader?
It doesn't work with Snapshot Loading
I don't know. Balanced Brawl was designed with gecko OS 1.9.x in mind, and we never internally tested on anything else. I don't own the equipment for a USB Loader or anything of the sort either. If your copy of Brawl is, well, less than legal and you're playing as such, I only hope you're an advanced enough user to make use of the .txt version of the codeset that is available for download. I can offer no further support on this.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I wish I had a US Wii with a Smash Bros, not Smash Brothers. Then again, I wish I have the time to even play X again, this idea really has my attention. ;_; ♥

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
What special taunt to transform as samus?
Up taunt, down taunt, up taunt really fast as Samus turns you into ZSS. I suck and have a lot of trouble making it work, but some people are consistent with it.

This is also the same input to do special taunts with Fox/Falco on Corneria, Fox/Falco/Wolf on Lylat Cruise, or Snake on Shadow Moses Island. In that case, they really are just taunts; they cause conversations to appear at the bottom of the screen (which are pretty cool, and you should try it out if you never have before).

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
my technique for getting it quickly is to put my right index finger on the dtaunt and my middle finger on the utaunt and rock back and forth really fast. you can acheive this almost immediately (and consistantly with little practice) with this method :)

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
also, if you guys ever feel like buffing any of kirby's moves, nair would appreciate the b+ treatment...it'd be really useful for eating through vertical-moving up-bs and moves like pika's side-b if it...actually hit you somewhere. It's got the priority, but there isnt enough of a benefit for getting a hit off.

all in all, very good job with this. allowing it to work without hbc is a great plus.

p.s. if other characters got their neutral-b moves changed, were any of these changes applied to kirby's copied moves as well?
We actually considered and did a little testing with nair changes. It just didn't help Kirby any against Marth, G&W, and other troublesome matchups.

We also considered Kirby copy changes, at one point considering buffing all of them. (Even the ones with unchanged originals.) Ultimately, we decided it would be more useful to have more damage on copy itself and only specific powers buffed.

So, wait a minute. Sheik's forward Smash knockback was nerfed, and NONE of her kill moves were buffed? What's the rationalization for that?
Sheik has kill moves?

That's not a very good reason at all. The Pokemon Trainer rationale was iffy (not good) because the original design FORCED you to change, so you needed to use all three. With Zelda/Sheik, they are designed to be able to be played separately if a person wants to and function individually.
Sheik can still be played individually, and better than before too! She lacks f-tilt locks so some of her most biased matchups from before are more even, but her combo ability and damage potential is even better... almost unrivaled.

A full volley of needles at point blank range does 25% fresh.

25%

As for forward smash, it's a better move now. When it didn't link before, it didn't even matter how strong the second hitbox was. We were considering making it link, but thought it might be too strong of a buff... We tested versions with less knockback, and the feedback from testers said they loved it. One tester even said it was a bigger buff than the needles, though I can't say I agree personally, ha.

About Peach:
I haven't played for a long time, but I think her Fthrow should still be a bit stronger. It kills very late, even for Peach. Her other buffs are great though. Make her better, but don't break her.
The f-throw buff isn't intended to be that big, and it doesn't seem that big when you test it. But in practice, when Peach's top tier dash-grab is at work, Peach's strong positional game is able to get more grabs closer to the edge than most characters. This is one kill move you can;t judge from the middle of FD, that's for sure. Also, forcing people offstage more has other advantages to Peach, especially now that her nair is stronger and makes a harsh edgeguard. (Or you can just fall back on good ol' turnips...)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Z/S again

That's what I was talking about.
Even if Z/S combo is pretty good and that one can counter some bad machups for the other one, there's a lot of mainers that does NOT change them.
I personally main Zelda, but not Sheik (I actually suck as her =S), and you're like saying I have to main Sheik for playing Zelda.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
That's what I was talking about.
Even if Z/S combo is pretty good and that one can counter some bad machups for the other one, there's a lot of mainers that does NOT change them.
I personally main Zelda, but not Sheik (I actually suck as her =S), and you're like saying I have to main Sheik for playing Zelda.
No one is telling anyone they have to do anything. Sheik and Zelda are still considerably better than they used to be, and anyone who says they are not viable individually is just plain wrong. We are just warning people that, given Sheik's lack of KO power and Zelda's mediocre damage capabilities, individually they might be slightly below the rest of the cast. Like, I would probably BARELY put them individually at the bottom of a tier list... Not because they are bad, but because no one else is bad either.

And to be completely honest... me personally? I think Sheik+Zelda might be my personal #1. I don't intend to bias people, but they are good apart and amazing together.

daisho

Smash Lord
We have a hopefully self-explanatory 4 step process in the original post. If any step is unclear, I'm happy to explain. I consider technical support an important part of maintaining this project.
The explanation was great, I didn't understand some things in step one but Milk!! helped me and then it was fine.

It is great to finally play this game, now I just need to get some other people to play.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Up taunt, down taunt, up taunt really fast as Samus turns you into ZSS. I suck and have a lot of trouble making it work, but some people are consistent with it.

This is also the same input to do special taunts with Fox/Falco on Corneria, Fox/Falco/Wolf on Lylat Cruise, or Snake on Shadow Moses Island. In that case, they really are just taunts; they cause conversations to appear at the bottom of the screen (which are pretty cool, and you should try it out if you never have before).
This correction isn't actually important, but the input for those is actually just a very very short tap on down on the D-pad. You have to kinda flick it with the tip of your fingernail to get it.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
And to be completely honest... me personally? I think Sheik+Zelda might be my personal #1. I don't intend to bias people, but they are good apart and amazing together.
don't believe him, he privately told me that PT is the best character in the game

also

there were a lot of different ways to go about fixing the PT switching mechanics. i think speeding up the switch may be the best way to go about it because it encourages more strategy and makes PT a LOT more flexible. matchup strategies that involve switching (like getting charizard the hell away from snake, and even more complex stuff like using squirtle at low percent for comboz and then switching through the other two and using FRESH squirtle again at high percent because he is the most potent KOer) are much more viable than in normal brawl. which is really the problem with PT. you have all of this potential but can't really use it because switching sucks.

the other solution would have been to make switching during respawn invincibility possible so you'd basically be able to skip the next pokemon when you died. i would have liked this just because it's ridiculous in my opinion that Z/S can do this but PT can't. faster switching is a good consolation if it is fast enough to meet its intended purpose.

i still think stamina is stupid and should go but i have to test how the new switch speed fares against ledgecamping opponents and aircamp wario and such. competitive brawl strongly encourages strategies that happen to also **** the stamina system so... :\

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
don't believe him, he privately told me that PT is the best character in the game
Lol, I think Zelda+Sheik might have a SLIGHT edge on PT in this build, just my opinion.

It's interesting to discuss tiering when the characters are so close, when things vary wildly by opinion. For example, I personally really don't like Sonic when it comes to tiering. I'm bad with him, and my playstyle does well against Sonic, so I am predisposed to tier Sonic lower than most people. Other people might put him towards the top of a BBrawl tier list!

I've heard so many different characters considered #1 or close to it in BBrawl, especially over the various tested versions leading up until final release. I've heard Zelda+Shiek, Snake, Link, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Pit (that one took me by surprise), Ice Climbers, Wario, Pokemon Trainer, Ganondorf, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, and Ike's names thrown around at one point or another. (Ganondorf having the dubious honor of being the only character at times considered by some to be the best and others to be the worst!) Liberal stage legality can really make Olimar a contender for #1 too. Similarly, no one can agree at all on worst characters. In fact, most people (including me) really struggle to think of any character they would call "worst".

If anyone wants to PM me your personal tier lists based on first impressions after you get a chance to play matches with everyone, that would be great! In 3 or so months we can do a more serious version and compare.

Edit: It's also important to not just put the characters into groups or a sorted list, but compare the tier spread to default Brawl.

For example, I just said that in my personal opinion Sheik+Zelda is the "best" and solo Zelda is the "worst". The important thing though, is how do they stand compared to standard Brawl? I think Sheik+Zelda in BBrawl is at about the level Wario was at in normal Brawl. Similarly, I think solo Zelda with her buffs is at the level Kirby was at. That means that whatever order I put the other 35 characters in, they will fit in the space between Wario and Kirby in standard Brawl. Make sense?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So anyhow, as I was saying earlier, Marth is probably the best character in BBrawl. Mainly because he doesn't appear to have too many matchup weaknesses (aside from POSSIBLY ROB) and his previous worst matchups (MK, Snake, and DDD) are not as bad, and might be in his favor potentially with his untouched KO power.

The characters who I expect the most improved results from are Mario, Samus, Link, and Captain Falcon. I believe these are the most improved characters by far after using them. Mario's main problems were recovering from the ledge (which the removal of RCO lag helps A LOT) and KO power on heavy characters (KOing at 130% with Up-smash in BBrawl is a LOT more reasonable on heavies). Samus had a pretty solid camp game but couldn't kill at all, and now she has some pretty decent KO power (reminds me a lot of Melee Samus actually, who was THE **** in Melee easily). Link aside from his terrible recovery had mediocre KO power, but with his massively improved gimping with arrows and better KO power in general is now a legitimate power character. Captain Falcon's main problem was having little reward on much of anything...and now with an Up-B out of shield that does 22 ****ing damage, a new techchase game, and scary setups, this guy can really combo. And kill for that matter.

The worst characters in this game overall I believe are Ganondorf, Ike, Fox, PK boys, and Sonic. Not that their matchups are any worse, just that I don't feel they are as fundamentally improved as other characters. Ganondorf and Ike still have a lot of trouble working around shields, and same goes with Fox who doesn't have very reliable damage dealers on shielding opponents. PK Boys still seem like they rely on gimmicky setups to get the job done. Sonic's Up-B is alright...but still outprioritized rather easily like it was in the previous game meaning it's only really good in a few select matchups at best, and then he's still bad at KOs (although his damage buffs to help to compensate for this).

Rapax

Smash Apprentice
A question, how does this work online?

Because someone said he played it online with another one who didn't use BBrawl... He also said that it looks not as accurate as vBrawl on his TV.

Anyone any idea?

Edward Vulpes

Smash Rookie
Hello, I had a question concerning the installation of Balanced Brawl. I am very excited for this project, and as soon as I saw that it had been publically released, I bought an SD card for the explicit purpose of running Balanced Brawl. However, I have been running into problems. I have followed the four-step instructions for the non-homebrew method in the OP to the letter, but I receive no prompt to reboot the game, or any indication that the codes have taken.

I really have no idea what the problem could be. The only items on the SD card are the gameconfig.txt and boot.elf files along with the codes and private subdirectories, each of which are in the root directory (removed from the Balanced Brawl folder). These were installed from the .zip file, so there isn't a problem with the ordering. I took care that there were no custom stages left on my Wii. Am I omitting something vital?

Any help that can be given in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Do you think this is worth getting another sd card for and having BBrawl just on it, so I can switch between vbrawl, brawl+, and bbrawl? (have 2 for the first two)

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Um so Lucas having the spot dodge in the game is to further supplement his ground game right? I've never understood what it was for, but I think it's for a better ground game?

Grey

Smash Rookie
Snapshot method loading:

I haven't tried the snapshot loading method with this most recent version of BBrawl, however it worked perfectly fine with the Genesis release. I would think that there shouldn't be a problem with this version.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Snapshot and the dynamic SD Loader don't work with the most recent versions of Gecko OS. You need the 1.07 version for it to work.

Also, has anyone gotten the Homebrewless expploit to work for PAL yet?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Hello, I had a question concerning the installation of Balanced Brawl. I am very excited for this project, and as soon as I saw that it had been publically released, I bought an SD card for the explicit purpose of running Balanced Brawl. However, I have been running into problems. I have followed the four-step instructions for the non-homebrew method in the OP to the letter, but I receive no prompt to reboot the game, or any indication that the codes have taken.

I really have no idea what the problem could be. The only items on the SD card are the gameconfig.txt and boot.elf files along with the codes and private subdirectories, each of which are in the root directory (removed from the Balanced Brawl folder). These were installed from the .zip file, so there isn't a problem with the ordering. I took care that there were no custom stages left on my Wii. Am I omitting something vital?

Any help that can be given in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Did you see the smash stack stage in the stage builder? Look at the contents of your SD card, and that should do it. Explaining exactly what you see at this point is important; things should happen pretty quickly/automatically.

A possibility a friend of mine ran into was that you got an SD card that is incompatible with Brawl. If your SD card is bigger than 2 GB, odds are it's Brawl incompatible (it has to do with formatting standards). I have no idea if you have this issue at all, but it does happen.

Do you think this is worth getting another sd card for and having BBrawl just on it, so I can switch between vbrawl, brawl+, and bbrawl? (have 2 for the first two)
Switching codesets on one SD card is pretty easy IMO, but SD cards are cheap, and you may find such a thing convenient. It's all up to you.

Um so Lucas having the spot dodge in the game is to further supplement his ground game right? I've never understood what it was for, but I think it's for a better ground game?
I should be clear that Lucas is now simply tied for best spotdodge (Link, for example, has the same frame data on his spotdodge). In any case, yeah, Lucas is a really ground based character, and an exceptional spotdodge is designed to play into that.

Snapshot and the dynamic SD Loader don't work with the most recent versions of Gecko OS. You need the 1.07 version for it to work.

Also, has anyone gotten the Homebrewless expploit to work for PAL yet?
A PAL version of Smash Stack does not exist right now, but I've heard rumors that it's being worked on. For now, PAL users will have to have the Homebrew Channel installed.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I should be clear that Lucas is now simply tied for best spotdodge (Link, for example, has the same frame data on his spotdodge). In any case, yeah, Lucas is a really ground based character, and an exceptional spotdodge is designed to play into that.
I totally thought so. Excellent works mate.

Rowland

Smash Rookie
i've never tried to hack or download anything to my wii before, but this project has really sparked my interest. unfortunately, however, i am severely technologically impaired when it comes to this sort of thing. i have a wii, an SD card, & a copy of brawl, but, despite the seemingly simple 4 step instructions, can't for the life of me figure out how to get bbrawl to my wii. also, my computer does not have an SD card port (does that matter?)..

some instructions on what to do (relayed in a way that a child could comprehend) would be greatly appreciated =)

Rowland

Smash Rookie
Yes it does, you need to be able to put the files on the SD card.
thank you, & i thought so...
so finding a computer with which i can save the files to my SD card will be my first step.
hopefully i wont run into any problems after that..

i appreciate the quick reply

Edward Vulpes

Smash Rookie
Did you see the smash stack stage in the stage builder? Look at the contents of your SD card, and that should do it. Explaining exactly what you see at this point is important; things should happen pretty quickly/automatically.

A possibility a friend of mine ran into was that you got an SD card that is incompatible with Brawl. If your SD card is bigger than 2 GB, odds are it's Brawl incompatible (it has to do with formatting standards). I have no idea if you have this issue at all, but it does happen.
My SD card is 2 GB, as I did know about the issue with SDHC cards beforehand, and my Wii is able to write to the card without issue. The st_080805_0933.bin file is located in the stage folder in the subdirectory private/wii/app/rsbe/st. Everything was extracted from the Balanced Brawl .zip file and placed in the root directory of the SD card such that the only four items in the root directory are the codes and private subdirectory folders and the boot.elf and gameconfig.txt files.

When I enter the stage builder, the SD card is shown to have no stages on it, and telling the game to display the contents of the card does not change this. Although it likely makes no difference, I have tried both booting Brawl with the card in and inserting it after the menu screen comes up, but it makes no difference.

I sense that the problem might be somewhat obscure, so I intend to wipe the card later tonight and will try a fresh installation of Balanced Brawl from the .zip archive to see if that makes any difference. If not, I have no more ideas of my own to try.

Thank you for your time.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
You did remove the other stages from the Wii, right? There should be no need to even select the SD card if you have, since no stages on the Wii will cause it to view the SD card automatically.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
If your computer does not have an SD card port, that could make things difficult. You need to download the .zip on the computer and extract it to the SD card. I think dedicated SD card readers are expensive too; here is my suggestion.

Find a friend with a computer with an SD card port on his computer and use his computer for this; it shouldn't be hard since SD card ports on computers are pretty common. Download the .zip linked to in the first post, and then extract the contents of the folder "Balanced Brawl" to your SD card that is in said port (right click on the .zip, and the computer should have some program available that will make this really easy). It's basically the same as writing files to a disc, and as long as you directly extract the contents of that folder to your SD card, everything should be arranged correctly to work. If you want to check what's on the SD card to see if things are right, there should be four items in the root of the SD card (which is the lowest level of the SD card; on my computer, SD cards are handled as drive F so I see the root as F:\). They are:

Two folders. One is named "private" and one is named "codes".
A text file called "gameconfig.txt"
A mysterious file called "boot.elf"

Like I said, if you use the .zip, it should put this all in order for you so you won't have to really deal with how it works so much. I'm just listing this so you can check if you got things right.

Of course, you need to have an SD card that works with Brawl. In general, SD cards that work with Brawl need to be 2 GB or smaller, but you can test if yours works easily by trying to save a snapshot to it. If Brawl lets you, it's a good SD card.

Either way, once you have everything on the SD card, just go to your Wii, boot up Brawl, delete all custom stages, back out of the stage builder, put in the SD card, enter the stage builder, and look at the stages on the SD card. If you delete all custom stages beforehand, you can just have the SD card in the whole time, but just be aware that you need to have all custom stages gone before the stage builder "sees" the SD card or things will not work right. This should cause exciting stuff to happen on the screen, but you don't need to actually read or understand anything. Just pick the first answer and agree to everything, and it will quickly work its way to Brawl rebooting. At that point, I suggest removing the SD card (not technically required since we added the no custom stage code to the downloads), and Balanced Brawl should be loaded. If you want to do a quick test to see if it's working, start a match in versus mode and pick Hanenbow. If you end up on the WiFi Training Room, it's Balanced Brawl.

Hopefully this is clear enough. It's easier to help people if they are getting stuck at one particular place instead of generally confused; that way, we can figure out exactly where you are having an issue in the process.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Actually Ampharos, there's something called an ImageMate you can get for around 10 bucks by SanDisk, works well and easily.

Also, you can set up an FTP server from your Wii to your SD card if you access an SD card reader once and have Homebrew installed.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Actually Ampharos, there's something called an ImageMate you can get for around 10 bucks by SanDisk, works well and easily.

Also, you can set up an FTP server from your Wii to your SD card if you access an SD card reader once and have Homebrew installed.
I had not heard of such a device being so cheap, but that sounds handy. Of course something like that works too.

FTP servers are pretty "advanced user" sorts of things so I would refrain from suggesting them to people with technical problems, especially since the sort of thing they want to do probably only requires access to the computer once in the first place (and they might not want to install the HBC).

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Ganon must improve recovery like side b doesn't make him helpless but can only be used once per jump similar to Diddy's side b and increase his priority, otherwise he's still a horrible character.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I had not heard of such a device being so cheap, but that sounds handy. Of course something like that works too.

FTP servers are pretty "advanced user" sorts of things so I would refrain from suggesting them to people with technical problems, especially since the sort of thing they want to do probably only requires access to the computer once in the first place (and they might not want to install the HBC).
It might be 20 now, I got it at Circuit City right before it filed for Chapter 11 lol.

And yeah, FTP is advanced but if you dont have a reader and don't want to pay for 1, its your best option to update it. Homebrew Browser's good but only gets you so far.

EDIT: Wow, new its like 35 now, you can get it from 15 on Amazon though. I got it for 9.99 lol

Rapax

Smash Apprentice
Ganon must improve recovery like side b doesn't make him helpless but can only be used once per jump similar to Diddy's side b and increase his priority, otherwise he's still a horrible character.
Or the same like in Brawl+ or Melee: DownB --> 2nd jump back

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
My SD card is 2 GB, as I did know about the issue with SDHC cards beforehand, and my Wii is able to write to the card without issue. The st_080805_0933.bin file is located in the stage folder in the subdirectory private/wii/app/rsbe/st. Everything was extracted from the Balanced Brawl .zip file and placed in the root directory of the SD card such that the only four items in the root directory are the codes and private subdirectory folders and the boot.elf and gameconfig.txt files.

When I enter the stage builder, the SD card is shown to have no stages on it, and telling the game to display the contents of the card does not change this. Although it likely makes no difference, I have tried both booting Brawl with the card in and inserting it after the menu screen comes up, but it makes no difference.

I sense that the problem might be somewhat obscure, so I intend to wipe the card later tonight and will try a fresh installation of Balanced Brawl from the .zip archive to see if that makes any difference. If not, I have no more ideas of my own to try.

Thank you for your time.
I'm just wondering... is your copy of Brawl an American (NTSC) copy, or a PAL/Japan copy?

If it's the NTSC copy, can you take a screenshot of what the root of your SD card looks like?

Rowland

Smash Rookie
thanks a lot ampharos and illinialex!

i'll try it out asap, my SD card is solid and should work fine once i can get a hold of a computer thats less than half my age...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom