• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Public Preview *GENESIS UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm loving the feeling of Mario and Ness on B-Brawl. I just need more people to test this on.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Guys, I don't play online... but just this once... I will put up with the lag for you lovely people. Someone has got to show off Jigglypuff and Ganon around here...

Also, epic same-time-post Ampharos.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
wow...amazing...only suggestion is make it so that olis jab can't be escaped from after first hit before second one(to make matchups like weegee/ peach much more reasonable)

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
What exactly do I need to download to get the codes to work? I'm not so tech-savvy. I already have Gecko 1.9.1, the latest version of Homebrew and Brawl+ deleted off my SD card to reduce confusion.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
What exactly do I need to download to get the codes to work? I'm not so tech-savvy. I already have Gecko 1.9.1, the latest version of Homebrew and Brawl+ deleted off my SD card to reduce confusion.
All you need is a gameconfig.txt file; in that folder I uploaded the region-free one Y.S. posted a few months ago. You probably already have it, since I assume Brawl+ uses that exact same file.

Otherwise, you just need to have the RSBE01.gct code file in a "codes" folder.

Edit: I'm on MSN and AIM if you ever need help or have questions you don't want to post here.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I didn't really feel the need to respond to this, but I think it's funny that I play Jigglypuff, and the only infinite or cg that affects her (Ice Climbers) was the only one left in...
We main Mr. Game & Watch and Jigglypuff, the two characters least susceptible to such things. In fact, ICs chaingrabs are about all that work on either of them, and incidentally those are the only things like this left in.
I still stand by my statement this **** is total fail.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
*sigh* Why....
Why that Kirby didn't change or why did this have to be made? I blame too many characters that can abuse so much in Brawl. =/

Edited: AlMoStLeGeNdArY your sig is amazing. =D

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
All you need is a gameconfig.txt file; in that folder I uploaded the region-free one Y.S. posted a few months ago. You probably already have it, since I assume Brawl+ uses that exact same file.
I actually deleted that file and replaced it with the one you uploaded, and no-go. Hmm. I'll contact you on AIM if I can't figure it out.

Edit: Nvm, I got it to work!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Question, how does Ike deal with Olimar in this o.o? Just wondering..

Loving this idea of a new QD though. i so need to figure out how to mod my wii for this o.o, anyone willing to assist me on this?

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
ok i tride ike and i say keep the changes, his recovery is too good now
samus is actually playable now O_O her knock back is perfect now
peach has gotten what i wanted, more knockback from her main killers

thus far, i approve of balanced brawl lol time to see whats the deal with ganon and mr falcon

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
The goal with not changing hitboxes or attack timings is that it makes playing this and standard Brawl totally interchangable; the only thing you have to "learn" is to be aware of the few necessary big changes on a couple of characters, like Ike or Sonic. It's much harder to pick up and transition to if you have to play with new hitboxes to get a feel for how they are changed... no piece of paper can teach people that, and it's a problem when you go back to regular Brawl and it's different yet again.
Fair enough.

Marth is already perfectly in line with our "target" of Diddy; some people have actually wanted Marth buffed if you can believe that. (Thanks ren, lol.) Marth does very well in all testing sessions, but his best matchups are no longer as strongly in his favor. (Especially Ness/Lucas!)
So you're trying to make everyone as good as Diddy? I guess that makes sense. But at the same time, some of the characters you haven't changed much might need a buff or two.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Other than Ganon's d-tilt feeling strange, I'm quite impressed. His uppercut is phenomenal and he finally has that feeling of being the King of ****ing Darkness.

JGALT

Smash Cadet
Question, how does Ike deal with Olimar in this o.o? Just wondering..

Loving this idea of a new QD though. i so need to figure out how to mod my wii for this o.o, anyone willing to assist me on this?
The Ike Olimar matchup is still in favor of Olimar, but not nearly so polarized.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I tried this, and ****ing loved it.

I'm surprised there's no Sonic mains who've commented.
Me being a Sonic main fond of upB edge guards, finding that UpB gives off a weak spike made me blow my load.

Great job guys, and keep up the good work.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
then dont come here legendary. i main a char who got a ton of his gay **** removed and i couldnt be happier
It's rather stupid TBH if I wanted to play a game like that then I'd play MVC2. It's a fighting game there will always be exploits people will always use exploits. One character will be better than another. This isn't a sit down pow wow where you get ***** by **** so you decide to remove it from the game. But whatever this **** fails the people who made it fail. This is my last post in this failed thread.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Holy crap, i've been messing around with these codes like five minutes, and i'm loving it! Hyrule Temple is amazing! It kinda reminds me of Hyrule Castle in Smash 64.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
So you're trying to make everyone as good as Diddy? I guess that makes sense. But at the same time, some of the characters you haven't changed much might need a buff or two.
That's why we are releasing this to the public now; we are at the point where we cannot accurately make decisions to the balance of the game with a limited amount of testers. We need more feedback to be able to make more educated decisions on where the characters stand now, and where to go from here.

Keep in mind, that Diddy himself is just slightly nerfed. Stages that he doesn't do well on can now be legal, and his banana lock infinite has been removed. (All non-infinite banana combos are totally intact, of course.)

Similarly, some of the "unchanged" characters benefit from outside changes too. Fox's 3 awful matchups are gone, and he has 1% extra on side-B as a little bonus. DK has no terrible DDD matchup anymore, and is the only character that can jab the opponent when he breaks out of grabs. Kirby and Olimar really like some of the stages that no longer have to be banned. Lucario does have one small change, and that is an improved side-B projectile as the OP says.

In short, we are confident that what we have is good, but the march to perfection never ends. I'll keep repeating, feedback, feedback, feedback; we really do want to hear about your experiences playing this!

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
lol its your honest opinion and i respect that but this is basically another way to look and play brawl

but bak to topin i noticed that peach pulls the death turnip more often.....is this an easter egg

Veggi

Smash Champion
This project looks great, I'm actually suprised I never thought of something like this happening. I'm very happy that you are making the most of a character's strengths rather than removing their weaknesses.

Just saying though, adding 1% to Mario's down tilt is not going to make me use it. It's really just THAT bad. XD

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Other than Ganon's d-tilt feeling strange, I'm quite impressed. His uppercut is phenomenal and he finally has that feeling of being the King of ****ing Darkness.
Ganon's d-tilt is his most jarring change; you really do have to get used to it.

However, what it does is basically give the tree of side-b followups an additional layer of branches. The more you play with it, the more amazing it becomes. Get used to doing side-b to d-tilt to side-b on short characters who don't roll forward first, and go form there.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Edit: crap, double post.

but bak to topin i noticed that peach pulls the death turnip more often.....is this an easter egg
We didn't touch turnips, this is just luck on your part, lol.

As for easter eggs... I'm not saying anything.

Just saying though, adding 1% to Mario's down tilt is not going to make me use it. It's really just THAT bad. XD
The 1% might not help much, but the increased angle does. It sets up his aerial chains better now, and feels more natural.

And of course, that extra +1% damage on fireballs is big story as far as Mario is concerned.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Imo, replace one of the banned stages with the Wifi Training Room, instead of Hanenbow. Hanenbow may still have some viability in teams, at the very least.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
hyrule temple can actually be a counter pick in tournies? its cool and interesting how moving the death bounderies for a stage can make it more playable and lol at the fact he cpu adapts to the change in hyrule temple as they will not go into the cave

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
This seems very interesting. If this carries on to tournaments, Ganon could actually be considered a viable (and truly murderous) character that he should have been.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Imo, replace one of the banned stages with the Wifi Training Room, instead of Hanenbow. Hanenbow may still have some viability in teams, at the very least.
I think the idea was that with this change, the only ultra-banned stages are all on the same row on the select screen. We included code for a really nice custom stage select screen that Ampharos configured (uses My Music logo for wi-fi), but it bugs replays sometimes. :(

It's not really a big deal, and how exactly the stage is selected is not of supreme importance to this project. It's just a non-trivial detail.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
i kept quiet but i got to ask...is it normal that i have to hold up on the d pad and y for start?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
...oh crap, debug pause is on?

Lemme check.

The file I uploaded should not have debug pause enabled. If you copied the codelist from the OP, did you turn it on when you generated the file?

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
.......yoshis new fair........IS EPIC ****ING WINand
i turned off debug pause after the first time i used it XD
but ill check

jokey665

Smash Ace
This! Do this! Lack of Hanenbow means I refuse to play this. It's my favourite stage in the game and I love messing around on it with cpus/in friendlies.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I'm starting to get the hang of d-tilt. Assuming you can read trips, Gerudo chains are ****ing massive now.

Do like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom