• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bad Habits to Avoid- Luigi mains

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
This thread is just to post and recognize common bad habits Luigi mains and/or Luigi secondaries tend to do. Also posting alternate options to do instead of a certain bad habit is encouraged.

Bad Habit:
Too many Luigis try to side b on to the stage when they are already close to the ledge.
(I admittedly do this too when I'm desperate. >.>)

It's really easy to punish and easy to predict where you'd land.

It's fine if you do this once to condition the player into thinking you would do it the next time though.

Recommendation:
One option I'd recommend fast falling to the ledge and jumping to the stage and use waveland options like waveland shield and follow up with a grab or f-tilt or n-air etc. depending on the situation.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
Luigi players get spoiled by how easily some people will run into their nair at first. Nair is really good but it also leaves you extremely vulnerable so any decent player will begin to bait it after not too long. Pay close attention to what they're doing so you can avoid the bait. Mix it up with fastfalls and throwing out faster aerials to bait THEM into attacking you--then hit them with the nair.

Griffard

Smash Ace
Bad Habits
  • NOT fast falling to ledge when getting shined on stage. Also applicable for other popular moves
  • Side B-ing either on stage or close to stage - should do it lower or farther out then down b then double jump. SAVE your double jump in general.
  • Bad approaches, especially on shield. I don't think WDing jabs is that good as Luigi, raw grabs are better, f-tilts and mixing things like u-tilt, Usmash, other smashes in is great. Be VERY aware of what percent your opponent is at and approach with intelligence accordingly!
  • Poor option coverage - always put yourself in the best situation to cover every option! EXAMPLE: you are edgeguarding a Sheik you hit way off stage. Instead of hopping on ledge immediately, why not wait to WD to ledge until the last moment, so once Sheik goes on stage you can instant waveland to a shoryuken? When techchasing, instead of running/WDing straight to where you just hit/threw them, why not BAIT moving towards them then reset your position to the one allowing you full coverage? Try to GUARANTEE all easy/medium continuations and to allow yourself a shot at a very hard punish on a medium to hard read.
  • Not grabbing enough.
  • Not Shoryukening or Up Smashing OOS
  • Being Unsafe on Ledge - too often I see Luigis (and myself!) WLing or getting up from ledge while not invincible and eating an easy punish from their opponent. Refresh by dropping down and double jumping, then quickly WL on and try to grab or just regain stage position in the center.

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
There is some good advice here so far! I agree with all of it. Thanks for sharing guys.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Being stupid is generally a habit to avoid.

But seriously haha, I don't see Luigis grabbing enough, especially with his amazing wavedash. I have seen some lower level Luigis use Side B too much, which is just extremely punishable.

Scarlet Bean

Smash Apprentice
Make a habit of using a full hop nair OoS instead of a short one. Down-B OoS is still a better option, but it takes time to perfect

Scarlet Bean

Smash Apprentice
I forgot to add in the situation--my bad. You should use this when your opponent attempts to shield grab you

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
I would still say that full hop vs. short hop is percentage dependant. Use whichever will lead to more hits!

Griffard

Smash Ace
Ironically, the very first bad habit in the thread is the opposite of a strength for me (does that make any sense?)
I give my opponents too much credit a lot of the time, I think I should side b on to the stage raw a little MORE, especially in matchups where there is no big kill move punish for the other character.

Using down-b, side-bs, air dodging etc. to get to ledge is typically enough, but going high to mix it up CAN be effective occasionally.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
If somebody tries to challenge your missile charging it can have potent mIx ups. If they throw out a move go under it or for the trade, and if you don't see a hole in their coverage hitting the lip of the stage isn't always bad.

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
Ironically, the very first bad habit in the thread is the opposite of a strength for me (does that make any sense?)
I give my opponents too much credit a lot of the time, I think I should side b on to the stage raw a little MORE, especially in matchups where there is no big kill move punish for the other character.

Using down-b, side-bs, air dodging etc. to get to ledge is typically enough, but going high to mix it up CAN be effective occasionally.
That's very good advice. Yeah, the very first bad habit depends on the opponent's match-up knowledge against Luigi and the match-up. I can't get away with it most of the time. haha

Sea Buoy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-5278-5305
Now I'm not that great at Melee, but what I find pretty useful when doing the missile is launching myself into the side of the stage to sweet spot a ledge grab with Up-B. It's under the stage and you can punish with a slap into the stage if they come for you. The slap animation goes away fast enough to still recover, especially if you have your Down-B charged.

NoScrubUK

Smash Rookie
Try to avoid being too eager with combo-ing.
Be patient, wait for the perfect time to strike.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I think wd jab + pivot grab is a legit mix up (wd through them, pivot grab) that shouldn't be overlooked. Jabs are faster than grabs so it has it's place. But I agree raw grabs are great due to luigi's speed.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
Unnecessary/predictable movement. We get ourselves into a lot of trouble by just looking and feeling fancy.
Yes lol I've been destroyed more than a few times because I lost focus on the match and started focusing on my movement. This is why practice is important, especially with Luigi. You should always have your eyes focused at least 3/4 on your opponent (that last quarter is for the space between the two of you) and be comfortable enough with your own movement that you're still slipping and sliding around. React to what your opponent does, don't just try to do what you want.

Effective practice is something that can fix this problem and take your control to the next level. I like to create a mental obstacle course to go through. Short hop dair under platform, double jump, waveland back to fast fall edge cancel dair to ledge hog. Everyone should be able to perform these kinds of things on command. After you've got that down, consider the options other characters possess and how you can effectively react and shut down that specific option or preemptively cover other options. Try this drill with your friends--you all get to learn each other's options so you're further forced to develop different mixups and punishes.

Boondocker

Smash Ace
Luigi mains that switch from other characters sometimes have the bad habit of using the dash attack. As a new Luigi player it happens when I try to WD into a F-tilt.

#BASED

Smash Rookie
Luigi mains that switch from other characters sometimes have the bad habit of using the dash attack. As a new Luigi player it happens when I try to WD into a F-tilt.
this so much, luigi is who i play the most with but i still really like and play a lot of other characters so the constant switching and being new to the character i do this a lot as well.

another result of my playing a wide variety of characters and lacking of consistency, i tend to throw out a lot of forward smashes either by habit (must from be all the marth & spacies) or missing the f-tilt

Dan Where Is The Food

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1607-4096-1756
What throws me off whenever I switch characters is when I switch to a fast-faller like Falco or Captain Falcon, and then return to playing Luigi, my muscle memory gets confused and shuffl-ing requires slightly different timing, meaning that I sometime miss the fast fall and the l-cancel simply because my hands thought they should be done sooner.

It's difficult to practice and get good with Luigi and anyone else at the same time, because he's so unique.

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I tend to constantly try and fast fall too early, so I end up getting punished for staying in the air. I know it's something simple people could fix, but it's very annoying when it happens at tournaments.

Top Bottom