• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Backdash Pivot?

iLink

Smash Champion
Someone named Ryan Panelo (RPK) brought this to my attention on facebook, so credit to him if this is anything new.

better quality example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NGCPtatEh0

Seems like if you dash and then pivot at a specific point, your character faces back to the direction he dashed from and goes direction into a neutral stance. From here I've been able to do stuff like jab, shield and I'm pretty sure I even got an utilt once. I assume I theoretically could do something like a dsmash from the neutral stance, but I'm having a hard time doing it on the circle pad.

Is this a thing in past games? Is it common knowledge?

Last edited:

trilok

Smash Apprentice
hi,
using training mode, i figured out some frame data on this
dashcancel pivot

frame 0 face forward.

frame 1 flick back

frame 2 still hold back

frame 3 hit forward. you dash back, cancel your dash with a pivot i think, and turn around. about 1, 1.5 character length. tested this with pika and cfalc this is actually pretty interesting, but ppl should explore it further. i posted this as a response in https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...lection_of_movement_option_findings_in_smash/ recently

additionally
dashcancel pivot works in the forward directions as well.

frame 0 face forward.

frame 1 hit forwards

frame 2 stay forwards

frame 3 hit back

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Great. A new method of play that encourages Circle Pads breaking.

It actually looks to be useful, too.

trilok

Smash Apprentice
How is this different than the small pivot? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MjARH1GVl4
it looks like the exact same thing and seems to have the same framedata. i dont know whether theres any more physics differences between the game. its the same concept of a dash which is canceled by a pivot very quickly. its repeatable and you can semi dd with it, with a bunch of small pivots combined with smaller trots and bigger trots, but all of those have predetermined distances compared to the melee dd.

Last edited:

RPK

Smash Lord
The difference is that youre actually at neutral from the very beginning as opposed to just being able to act at the very end of the dash. So its actually different from the small pivot. If you watch my video you can see pikachu sliding backwards while performing a jab as opposed to the small pivot where the jabs are performed at the end of the pivot

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
This is just called a pivot. It has the exact same mechanics as in Brawl.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Last edited:

RPK

Smash Lord
Also it doesnt have the same mechanics in brawl because you can throw out attacks during the turn around animation and still get a slide WHILE you throw out the move of your choosing

EDIT: AS OPPOSED TO BRAWL, you arent able to throw out any attacks during the initial dash and only during the part where the character turns around at the very end. This one though you can do it pretty much at the very beginning. If you watch, you can see jabs being done at the very beginning as opposed to being done at the end of a dash

Last edited:
Top Bottom