• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Back Room Tier List Opinions

prisonchild

Smash Ace
... Where did you get the impression that I was confused about the meaning of the post?

The "people just don't know it yet" means that most people assume ness is good--something smashboards posters really should know by now, considering the number of posts we get saying exactly that. Unlocked is never a synonym for untapped, it means (in this instance) potential that has already been realized.
where did you get the impression people thought ness was good? i would take your word for it but i've seen little evidence to the statement.

there must be a reason you're defending such a poorly written post, full with double negatives and just overall bad grammar.

then again, this isnt an english forum, so what the heck are you arguing for anyways? playing devils advocate is not an enviable trait

asianaussie

Smash Hero
every regular knows that people, especially noobs, think ness is good

malva likes ness too

there is evidence scattered freaking everywhere

kys

Smash Ace
Speaking of Ness, anyone here actually play Earthbound before smash 64? I proudly raise my hand.

I'm about to start another run. I don't know if I should do a LLG or a 100%.

The problem with the post is that AT FIRST GLANCE "unlocked" and "potential" are opposite terms. Derp.

@ prison: That's unnecessary. Take our word for it, or hang out here for a few weeks. We'll get a few hits.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Y'all are ****ing dumb. Wordplay. It was wordplay. It's funny because he's saying something technically correct in such a way that he appears to be saying the exact opposite. It was clever.

Jesus christ.

i've seen little evidence to the statement.
where did you get the impression people thought
full with double negatives
overall bad grammar.
overall bad grammar.
overall bad grammar.
overall bad grammar.
I'm not playing devil's advocate, but if I was, I'd be arguing for you right now, because that post officially makes you Satan.

I WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH TO DEFEND KRYNXE'S POST. IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN MY LIFE.

But seriously. It wasn't unclear, it was just clever. Get off it.

The Star King

Smash Hero
^Except I don't think that's true

And yes Battlecow make sure we know of our inferior intelligence due to a misunderstanding

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Y'all are ****ing dumb. Wordplay. It was wordplay. It's funny because he's saying something technically correct in such a way that he appears to be saying the exact opposite. It was clever.

Jesus christ.

I'm not playing devil's advocate, but if I was, I'd be arguing for you right now, because that post officially makes you Satan.

I WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH TO DEFEND KRYNXE'S POST. IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN MY LIFE.

You're wrong. First off, saying something in a confusing *** way so that people misinterpret it is not clever.

Second, the statement "He's probably not better than his tier placing implies, people just don't know it yet" is nonsensical. We ALREADY THINK that Ness is "not better than his tier placing" because we think he is exactly as good as his tier placing. That's kind of the definition of the tier list - how good we think a character is.

So it's impossible for the following two statements to be simultaneously true:

(1) "He's probably not better than his tier placing"
(2) "People don't know it (1) yet"

because we already believe (1), so you can't say that we don't know (1) yet.

prisonchild

Smash Ace

Jesus christ.

no offense mate but you come off as one of those pseudo-intellectuals analyzing bob dylan lyrics

The Star King

Smash Hero
Not to mention "a lot of unlocked potential" is a pretty strange way to put it, so it's not surprising people confused it for "a lot of untapped potential"

Battlecow

Play to Win
A completely inconsequential and unreasonably emotionally charged smashboards argument in which I'm objectively right and my main opponent says things like "full with double negatives and just overall bad grammar"?

Guys, my birthday was two months ago. :bee:

*hums happily, gets to work*

^Except I don't think that's true

And yes Battlecow make sure we know of our inferior intelligence due to a misunderstanding
Did I hurt your feelings? Was I too abrupt?

You're wrong. First off, saying something in a confusing *** way so that people misinterpret it is not clever.

Second, the statement "He's probably not better than his tier placing implies, people just don't know it yet" is nonsensical. We ALREADY THINK that Ness is "not better than his tier placing" because we think he is exactly as good as his tier placing. That's kind of the definition of the tier list - how good we think a character is.

So it's impossible for the following two statements to be simultaneously true:

(1) "He's probably not better than his tier placing"
(2) "People don't know it (1) yet"

because we already believe (1), so you can't say that we don't know (1) yet.
First of all, he was obviously referring to the MAJORITY of people, i.e. casual players, who believe that ness is good. Smashboards regulars have seen this to the point where it's become an in-joke. He is NOT better than his tier placing, yet the majority of people do not know that. It makes logical sense. You're confusing "people" with "we."

Secondly, it was a joke, and would not have been funny if it had been said straightforwardly. The wordplay was the point. As for saying things in a "confusing way" (obviously not that confusing--I got it on the first read-through) not being funny-I'm surprised that an avid fan of hip-hop would feel this way. A lot of comedians would disagree with you. The humor is in the fact that he seems to be saying one thing but is in fact saying the opposite, and the fact that you didn't understand it at first doesn't invalidate it.

no offense mate but you come off as one of those pseudo-intellectuals analyzing bob dylan lyrics

Good try. I wouldn't attempt to argue logically in your position either, because the number of legs you possess at the current moment that would serve to support the metaphorical weight of your argument is equal to the number of cubic liters of water your argument holds (hint: Also the score I give your grammar out of 10. You really shouldn't have opened up the can of grammar worms with a posting style like that.).

It might even have worked, but anyone who's been "lurking" the boards long enough that "in terms of unpredictability [his] advantage would be too much for [Isai]" (good one, by the way. I'm sure you're an absolute force to be reckoned with.) would have seen one of my Dylan-referencing posts already. Shouldn't have revealed that quite so soon.

And no offense, mate, but you come off as someone with a **** so far up his *** that semen's getting pumped out of his nostrils and onto the keyboard. Surely nothing short of this could lead you to classify the analyzing of Dylan lyrics as "pseudo" intellectual.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
First of all, he was obviously referring to the MAJORITY of people, i.e. casual players, who believe that ness is good. Smashboards regulars have seen this to the point where it's become an in-joke. He is NOT better than his tier placing, yet the majority of people do not know that. It makes logical sense. You're confusing "people" with "we."

Secondly, it was a joke, and would not have been funny if it had been said straightforwardly. The wordplay was the point. As for saying things in a "confusing way" (obviously not that confusing--I got it on the first read-through) not being funny-I'm surprised that an avid fan of hip-hop would feel this way. A lot of comedians would disagree with you. The humor is in the fact that he seems to be saying one thing but is in fact saying the opposite, and the fact that you didn't understand it at first doesn't invalidate it.
To be clear, I ignored the post at first because it appeared to be written by a non-native english speaker and upon seeing that it was about ness I had no interest in deciphering it further since I didn't care to see another ness argument.

It's not obvious that he was referring to the majority of people at all, though in a strict sense I guess the use of the plural "people" is correct as long as there exist at least 2 people who think ness is better than his tier placing. Of course, it still does not make sense to add the "yet" at the end since it is unlikely that these people will ever find out that ness is not that good.

I also don't see the humor but that's more subjective. Although if you think that's funny the following should be a riot: "Ness is not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not good"

Also the post contained a comma splice. Automatic F- post right there :troll:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i disappear for 5 days and this is what the 64 boards become. shame on all of you and your families

TANK64

Smash Lord
I missed Clubba too ;__;

Also, I'm willing to forgive that you think you can mindgame the **** out of Isai.

I'm NOT willing to forgive you talking bad about Bob Dylan >____>

prisonchild

Smash Ace
A completely inconsequential and unreasonably emotionally charged smashboards argument in which I'm objectively right and my main opponent says things like "full with double negatives and just overall bad grammar"?

Guys, my birthday was two months ago. :bee:

*hums happily, gets to work*

Good try. I wouldn't attempt to argue logically in your position either, because the number of legs you possess at the current moment that would serve to support the metaphorical weight of your argument is equal to the number of cubic liters of water your argument holds (hint: Also the score I give your grammar out of 10. You really shouldn't have opened up the can of grammar worms with a posting style like that.).

It might even have worked, but anyone who's been "lurking" the boards long enough that "in terms of unpredictability [his] advantage would be too much for [Isai]" (good one, by the way. I'm sure you're an absolute force to be reckoned with.) would have seen one of my Dylan-referencing posts already. Shouldn't have revealed that quite so soon.

And no offense, mate, but you come off as someone with a **** so far up his *** that semen's getting pumped out of his nostrils and onto the keyboard. Surely nothing short of this could lead you to classify the analyzing of Dylan lyrics as "pseudo" intellectual.

ok, i don't know how much of a grip you have on reality but i think it might be an unsafe one. first of all, trying to be all hipster and find humour in something that all your peers find nonsensical doesn't make you more hip, smart or sophisticated. I would suggest giving up that act, since everyone sees through it. second of all, you clearly can't even comprehend the posts you're reading. I never said that the act of analyzing dylan lyrics was pseudo-intellectual. I said there are certain pseudo-intellectual douchebags that try to analyze dylan lyrics, to make them feel more hip, smart or sophisticated. i was comparing those certain pretentious people with you, not every dylan analyst.

Third of all, the intensity you're defending this with just shows that you're defending Krynxe's post for some other reason than proving him to make sense.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
For those of us ignorant flopmericans that aren't as enlightened as Battlecow (and don't understand metric), I took the liberty of doing a little unit conversion. To help you visualize how much a cubic liter is, it's the space contained in a 3.937 inch by 3.937 inch by 3.937 inch by 3.937 inch by 3.937 inch by 3.937 inch by 3.937 inch by 3.937 inch by 3.937 inch box.

The Star King

Smash Hero
^Lol

Yes. I cried.

I like how my second post was the only one you ignored :smirk:

also lol @ this community, especially the nerds like Battlecow/ballin/me who argue too much (but mostly lol @ Battlecow)

Olikus

Smash Champion
for me its a compliment to be funny. So if you have different feelings towards being funny. Then its not a compliment. cus then you arent so funny as i though. If so its an insult.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Thank you :)

You too. I lol'd when you said "with opinions like that no wonder you're in prison" to prisonchild

Sangoku

Smash Master
Exactly the reason why I try to never participate in arguments. Now if I wanted to be trolling by misinterpreting posts, I could say I's surprised ballin doesn't read posts written by non-native engliah speakers.

my post is dumb, because:
- if it's true, then ballin won't read this post and this post is useless
- if it's not true and he reads this post, no need to troll him with it since it's not true.
Couldn't be less clear.

:phone:

Battlecow

Play to Win
Not to mention "a lot of unlocked potential" is a pretty strange way to put it, so it's not surprising people confused it for "a lot of untapped potential"
It is an odd way of putting it. Once again, the fact that it appears to mean "a lot of untapped potential" but means the opposite is the source of its humor, because the actual outcome is different from the expected one. I didn't respond initially because I'd already addressed this point when I spoke to ballin'.

Prisonchild, it's OK. You can cry, no one will judge you. I've been doing this for a long time; there's no shame in being broken, mind and body, over the anvil of my mighty smashboards skillz. Better posters than you have been reduced to shambling shells of men.

Guys, you need to stop being ashamed of spending this much time in pointless smashboards arguments. Once you let yourself enjoy it with wild abandon, you have much more fun.

The Star King

Smash Hero
It is an odd way of putting it. Once again, the fact that it appears to mean "a lot of untapped potential" but means the opposite is the source of its humor, because the actual outcome is different from the expected one. I didn't respond initially because I'd already addressed this point when I spoke to ballin'.
Yeah, and my point is that because it's "an odd way of putting it", it's easy to mistake it for "untapped potential" which is much more natural. So it's a simple mistake. So there's no need for "haw u guys so dum and slow, I r geniuser". There are other ways to boost your ego if you're desperate. Go beat up your scrubby friends in Smash 64 or something ;)

Guys, you need to stop being ashamed of spending this much time in pointless smashboards arguments. Once you let yourself enjoy it with wild abandon, you have much more fun.
You need to start being ashamed lol

But this viewpoint explains so much :rolleyes:

prisonchild

Smash Ace
Prisonchild, it's OK. You can cry, no one will judge you. I've been doing this for a long time; there's no shame in being broken, mind and body, over the anvil of my mighty smashboards skillz. Better posters than you have been reduced to shambling shells of men.
i appreciate that you're trying to use your ethos to get you out of an argument, but it does little to someone who doesn't care about your 'mighty' posting resume. none of what you said pertains to the argument so i don't understand how anybody could logically believe that they proved something by swinging their e-**** around as a last resort.

the only part of your post i can believe is that you've been doing this for a long time. i do believe you've been subjecting people here to your trolling and idiocy since the day you started posting.

kys

Smash Ace
You guys are great (by far the coolest gaming community, if there is such a thing), but I do wonder how so many of you can accrue SO many posts. I mean, thousands of posts? 'Tis a lot.

Battlecow

Play to Win
^wut? I thought we were cool, semp. Hmph. I might be mixing you up with someone else.

prisonchild, all you've done in the last three posts is poorly attempt to insult me. I'm down for that; I'm more than happy to just respond in kind. If you want to do the arguing about stuff thing again, though, you have to bring up a new point or something 'cause I already won that part.

Yeah, and my point is that because it's "an odd way of putting it", it's easy to mistake it for "untapped potential" which is much more natural. So it's a simple mistake.
True. You can be forgiven for making the mistake. But your initial argument was that there was actually something wrong with the post, when in fact the post was fine but you misunderstood it in its trickitude.

Y'all are still in denial about pointless, silly internet arguments. You do it just as much as I do; the difference is that I enjoy myself.

Top Bottom