• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Back Room Tier List Opinions

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah Bumblebee Ness is so mainstream. My blue Ness dominates dittos (IDK why effing Ness is one of the two dittos I feel comfortable in)

BTW Link > Ness > Samus > Luigi

Olikus

Smash Champion
its really hard to rank the bottom 4 imo. They all very equal in skill. Ness should definetly be in the bottom tier with the other 3 and not middle tier with the baloon, ape and dinosaur.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i agree with star king, but this time it's only because im too lazy to think up any reason why ness could possibly be better than link, and because lolluigi

i mean, didn't felipe rep luigi > link? that's reason enough for me to believe the opposite lol

Olikus

Smash Champion
I dont see why link is above the remaining 3. If he is, it cant be by much. Okay he is better than them on hyrule, but he is equal/worse to them on congo/peach and on DL, link is probably in 5 of the 7 worst MU in the game. And luigi and samus have probably hyrule as their best stage too even if its not on link level.

ANd its not like link doesnt get ***** by pika and fox on hyrule either. If you sum up all the stages(which you should do obv) its pretty even. Link might be above them but not with a huge margin.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
i don't see why luigi and samus would be better on hyrule

they both have decent recovery so it's not the DL gimp factor. luigi can actually do some mario esque gimps. and i think having any shot at gimping an opponent an low percents is a huge benefit for samus, since she can't usually combo an opponent to death from low percents.

Olikus

Smash Champion
luigi slowness and floatiness gets better with more spacing room, where he can adapt easier. Allso he is one of the ebst in the tent. Samus cant play agressive really. So a big stage to camp at is golden for her.

Mahie

Smash Lord
luigi slowness and floatiness gets better with more spacing room, where he can adapt easier. Allso he is one of the ebst in the tent. Samus cant play agressive really. So a big stage to camp at is golden for her.
I disagree, Oli. The more space you give to a slow character, the easier it becomes to just keep him away.

Samus is also better on DL for the same reason. It's easy to keep her at bay on Hyrule, when on DL she can manage to techchase, pressure the platforms, get a quick bair -> dair spike, etc.

Link is definitely the funniest character in the game. Advanced Boomerang/Bomb shenanigans, shield dropping etc are way too fun with him.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I disagree, Oli. The more space you give to a slow character, the easier it becomes to just keep him away.

Samus is also better on DL for the same reason. It's easy to keep her at bay on Hyrule, when on DL she can manage to techchase, pressure the platforms, get a quick bair -> dair spike, etc.

Link is definitely the funniest character in the game. Advanced Boomerang/Bomb shenanigans, shield dropping etc are way too fun with him.
but what shall luigi do vs a rushing falcon on DL? hes too slow to hide! Luigis fireballs is really underrated and can be used to an advantage on hyrule vs non projectiles caracthers. luigi and samus slowness makes them really vunerable for high pressure, which is much more likely on a tiny stage like DL, than on a big stage like hyrule with lots of room.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
what's luigi going to do against a falcon running circles around him on hyrule?

less space is a lot better for luigi and samus. gimps is a big part of their game on small stages. Just because falcon dominates on dreamland, doesn't make these characters "worse" on dreamland.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
BTW Link > Ness > Samus > Luigi
I agree with this except I would put Luigi ahead of Samus.

but what shall luigi do vs a rushing falcon on DL? hes too slow to hide! Luigis fireballs is really underrated and can be used to an advantage on hyrule vs non projectiles caracthers. luigi and samus slowness makes them really vunerable for high pressure, which is much more likely on a tiny stage like DL, than on a big stage like hyrule with lots of room.
In reverse, it's easier for Samus and Luigi to approach and punish on DL. Characters like Falcon and Fox can just run circles around them on Hyrule, but on DL they have it easier at getting them off the stage and taking advantage. Btw, Samus isn't really that slow.

Olikus

Smash Champion
what's luigi going to do against a falcon running circles around him on hyrule?

less space is a lot better for luigi and samus. gimps is a big part of their game on small stages. Just because falcon dominates on dreamland, doesn't make these characters "worse" on dreamland.
I used falcon as an example if that wasnt clear and obvious. I know that he alone doesnt make other caracther worse on that stage.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
What about Kongo Jungle? I imagine Samus being decent there. Not sure about Luigi, with his fireballs firing straight ahead, making it fairly easy for those with the lower ground to avoid them via ducking, no?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I agree with this except I would put Luigi ahead of Samus.
Yeah I'm not sure about Samus being above Luigi (though I think it's plausible) I was just in a provocative mood. But then people agreed with me wtf :troll:

What about Kongo Jungle? I imagine Samus being decent there. Not sure about Luigi, with his fireballs firing straight ahead, making it fairly easy for those with the lower ground to avoid them via ducking, no?
Luigi fireballs are already easy to avoid anyways

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
The only reason I would put Luigi ahead of Samus is because of how easy it is to get an off-the-top kill on Samus with Dragon Punch.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Those kinds of posts make me laugh, no offense. xD

"Hey guys I think this stage might be bad for this character because it affects this one move of his! =D"

I find it a bit funny that you base your assumption that Luigi might not be good on Congo on the possibility that his fireballs are hindered by the stage's layout. And to be even more specific, that's assuming Luigi is standing on the two flat parts near the edges all the time. Also, when you think about it, it's not like his fireballs are the biggest part of his game plan in any matchup.

I think that when we analyze a character's viability on a stage we should look much further than one move/a basic tactic/etc..

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

"Hey guys I think this stage might be bad for this character because it affects this one move of his! =D"

I find it a bit funny that you base your assumption that Luigi might not be good on Congo on the possibility that his fireballs are hindered by the stage's layout. And to be even more specific, that's assuming Luigi is standing on the two flat parts near the edges all the time. Also, when you think about it, it's not like his fireballs are the biggest part of his game plan in any matchup.

I think that when we analyze a character's viability on a stage we should look much further than one move/a basic tactic/etc..
I didn't say Luigi was bad. I just said I wasn't sure. If you're going to help explain something about a character's viability on a stage, at least do so without belittling people.

Battlecow

Play to Win

Actually true, and surprisingly enough, it's a mistake that most of us make (as well as most of the people in the melee discussion).

Mostly because it's really hard to communicate comprehensively why you think a stage is good or bad for a character without using really fuzzy language.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I still do not understand why Luigi and Link are tied...

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I didn't say Luigi was bad. I just said I wasn't sure. If you're going to help explain something about a character's viability on a stage, at least do so without belittling people.
Not to belittle you obviously, it's something I see pretty often on smashboards that I wanted to point out.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Not to oversimplify things, but a lot of the time it really is just one or two moves (eg spammable projectiles) or certain character traits (fox's speed) that define a character on a stage/in a matchup...but yeah, that's usually a conclusion after discussion/play on a much greater level than was just mentioned here.

Sol, you're overreacting a lot, I didnt see that as an attack on you at all

luigi sux

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Not to belittle you obviously, it's something I see pretty often on smashboards that I wanted to point out.
Fair enough, though I can't help but feel I have the unfortunate luck of being that straw that breaks the camel's back. Blah.
Sol, you're overreacting a lot, I didnt see that as an attack on you at all
I wouldn't say overreacting more so than being a bit defensive. Take this post at face value, I guess.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
You get up in Luigi's face and he's like

"oh no you di'n't"

And then he nairs you

swag

clubbadubba

Smash Master
luigi is filthy good, all you have to do is get right on top of them and then you can press up-b and it lights them on fire and sends them really high. It might even kill them if you've landed enough fireballs.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
He's also the only one who can damage by taunting in Smash Bros. history. Yeah, there's Snake in Brawl, but he's not Nintendo, so I won't count him.

kys

Smash Ace
On a serious note, Luigi and Samus both gain slights buffs on Congo. Although the lack of ledge DI does hurt him, since he's one of the few characters it actually helps. The help of the barrel isn't as strongly favored for him as it is for others.

Why? Because of their slowness and floatiness. The plethora of platforms enables them to attack and defend vertically as opposed to horizontally where they are exposed. The funky slopes are conducive to Luigi's dash grab (minor point). That's the short version.

Luigi blows. Ness blows harder. I love Ness, and I love Earthbound even more, but Sakurai screwed him over.

Top Bottom