1. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 140,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 14 million posted discussions!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2. Guest we need your help! The Smashboards rankings project has already archived hundreds of tournaments and thousands of players, but the project requires many people to review submissions and help improve results. If you are interested in helping keep Smash history send a message to Hylian!

3. The official Nintendo White Controller is on sale for under $40 right now! Get it before the price increases!

4. Looking for the perfect gift for that Smasher in your life? Maybe even yourself? Use the Smashboards Store to get any awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo White Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

Back Room Tier List Opinions

Discussion in 'Smash 64 Discussion' started by ballin4life, Sep 20, 2011.

1. ballin4life

ballin4life Smash Debater

All credit to Nintendude1189.

The Idea:

The Results:

Note: Kirby also jumped Fox.

Surri/A$ please delete thread or edit OP if this shouldn't have been posted.
  2. asianaussie

asianaussie Smash Debater

As long as Nintendude gets the primary credit this should be fine.

Take this list however you will.
  3. ciaza

ciaza Smash Prodigy

• Premium

It looks fine but I want to know if everyone who voted created their own Match-Up chart, instead of going: "I think X character is better than Y character in general".

I don't think this should be official though, at least until my initial question is answered.

EDIT: DW I got around to reading The New Tier List thread just now. Eh... I still don't like it. I want to read the discussion.

I would like to know Moogle's reasoning as to why Luigi is SEVENTH
  4. kys

kys Smash Ace

Ness got waay too much love. *Stares at Surri*

If the backroom had a thread where they discuss each matchup on each stage and THEN gave their rankings after a complete discussion with all members involved, I don't see why it couldn't be made official.

If said thread already exists, ignore ^this and make it viewable to everyone?
  5. ballin4life

kys, my OP contains a list of all back room members

ciaza, I don't think everyone created their own matchup chart, but remember we do all know about the current matchup chart
  6. ciaza

ciaza Smash Prodigy

• Premium

Pre' sure that's why he said he was dum lol.

That's great and all, but I would've liked it to be more concrete. Whatever I spose.
  7. ballin4life

oh yeah also ciaza, there wasn't any particular discussion before we sent in our opinions. Nintendude wanted to compile what we all independently thought

Also, I think this could be an interesting thing for the main forum to do.
  8. ciaza

ciaza Smash Prodigy

• Premium

Well I guess the main goal was acheived, but as I said I wouldn't want this to be the official list then, mainly because of lack of discussion. Yes I know that in the MU chart thread discussion never got completed along with a myriad of other problems, but still broken (imo) system > no system
  9. Peek~

Peek~ Smash Lord

I like this idea and I like the end list.

Except for Yoshi remaining unchanged, thats my only picky part

A$ Luigi positioning is very odd and Surri really loves Ness.
  10. asianaussie

because adding more matchup values, most of which people will not have had great experience in, is gonna make it more solid :|

a single outlier (A$'s luigi) bumped luigi up to being equal with link, though the SD does set him a bit apart

matchup charts...maybe soon, that or miniguides or an EPIC DOUBLES TIER LIST
  11. cheeseball341

cheeseball341 Smash Journeyman

Looks like aa changed his opinion a little bit.
  12. blaze3927

blaze3927 Smash Ace

imo thatlooks fairly good.
    i'd hotly contest:

dk, jiggs, ness

and less so

kirby, fox
  13. Olikus

Olikus Smash Champion

Now its out! Time to critisizing =D.

The top turned out fine. Its obvious we dont need MU to understand that the rat got this.

But the bottom would most likely be different if we had taken each MU on each stage. Link gets so much worse on every other stage than hyrule. Samus and Luigi dont. I would be really supriced if link wasnt on bottom after going through that long discussion.

But hey w/e this isnt an accurate list, only a suggestion so i wout put up to much flame on it seeing how it was made.

Edit: funny that kuz didnt change anything but posted the old list :p
  14. dandan

dandan Smash Lord

the stages/matchups do come into play, link would be higher if it was hyrule alone (like way higher) and we considered the current ruleset that allows you to ban hyrule first match and thus he was lowered to were he is.
  15. The Star King

The Star King Smash Hero

copypasta:

My list is so mainstream. Makes the inner hipster in me sad. I should have put Luigi below Samus or something.

Mario isn't above Falcon, so I'm not forced to do SOMETHING DRASTIC. Or something. Yeah.

Things that surprised me:
    -I thought everybody was going to put Kirby above Fox.
    -My Puff vote being average, when I'm supposed to be the Puff lover or something.
    -A$'s Luigi at 7.
    -Samus not being unanimous worst.
    -Boomfan putting Ness at 11. I thought Peek made you "see the light" or whatever?
    -Boomfan putting Puff at 7. I thought you were a Puff hater for some reason. Maybe I've got you all wrong >_>
    -Surri and Nintendude putting DK at 10.
    -Surri putting Ness at 6.
    -Me putting Luigi above Link. I know it's kind of silly to be surprised by your own list, but I would really like to know WTF I was thinking. I really regret that now. Ugh, Luigi is so bad.

Also, I didn't notice this before, but this game is too balanced for five tiers.

Boomfan thinks Link is the third best character on Hyrule BTW.
  16. Olikus

Olikus Smash Champion

Seems boomfan had isai in his mind when he made his list.
  17. Fish641

Fish641 Smash Apprentice

The gaps between the tiers seem a bit arbitrary. I mean, the gap between pika and kirby is the same as between yoshi and DK, and the difference between Samus and Luigi is more than Pika - Kirby. Why not just consolidate S and A? That would make more sense than having a single character tier (although Pika definitely is the best).
  18. ballin4life

The gaps in average vote aren't really a good way to separate out the tiers. For example, Samus shouldn't necessarily be in her own bottom tier, even though that is almost the biggest gap in the average vote. Just because almost everyone voted Samus 12th doesn't mean we think Samus is WAY worse than whichever character we voted 11th.
  19. TANK64

TANK64 Smash Lord

Obviously this is the REAL list... because this is my list.

but yea, cool thing. I like the idea of the private voting.
  20. 3mmanu3lrc

3mmanu3lrc Smash Lord

Link is awesome on Hyrule.
    imo, the only characters above him are Pika and Fox on that stage.
  21. Fish641

Fish641 Smash Apprentice

So why not consolidate S and A (and even possibly B)? With such a small cast, I feel like having such small tiers defeats the purpose of segregating the characters
  22. Mr Wizzrobe

Mr Wizzrobe Smash Journeyman

I concur. The data from the main forum would be very interesting to see.
  23. The Star King

The Star King Smash Hero

I agree with ballin.

It should be like three tiers, maybe four if you really want to give Pika his own. And Samus shouldn't be all alone :(
  24. clubbadubba

clubbadubba Smash Master

I feel like the first 5 or 6 characters are legitimately 3 tiers. S = Pika, A = Kirby + Fox, B = Falcon + Mario (+Yoshi maybe). Then the bottom tier of Samus + Luigi + Link I think is pretty good. Then you have DK +puff + ness above them. To me those are 5 distinct tiers and combining further would put characters on different competitive levels in the same tier.

I totally suggested this in the form of a matchup chart instead a while ago, but nobody liked the idea. I'm in!
  25. asianaussie

i was so good back then, believe it

dunno why olikus is so critical
  26. ciaza

ciaza Smash Prodigy

• Premium

If this is official then this is the day B tier transcends into a "high tier", excluding it from low tier tourney's. Unless people say no and it is allowed which would mean this is the day Falcon and Mario started to dominate low tier tournaments =3

I don't like the idea of having less than the number of tiers we have though. One glance at each characters mean ranking and placement into a tier shows that they are distinguished quite nicely.

EDIT: To be fair there is a gap between Yoshi and DK that is just as large between Yoshi and Mario but yet Yoshi is not in his own tier so I guess it could be changed.
  27. The Star King

The Star King Smash Hero

Like ballin said, just because one character is agreed to be better than another character by almost everyone doesn't mean the better one is WAY better.

I personally feel Yoshi and DK are pretty much the same.

I would die inside if Falcon was allowed in low tiers. I don't care about Mario though.

I still think there are too many tiers. In the current order, it should be maybe something like 4 4 4 (no, I'm not just dividing the cast by 3 - those actually seem like good tiers to me). Maybe give Pikachu his own tier and make it 1 3 4 4.
  28. ciaza

ciaza Smash Prodigy

• Premium

That's a little arbitrary though isn't it? 1 3 4 4 would put Fox & Falcon, and Ness & Link in the same tier even though there is a 1.5 and 1.71 gap between them respectively. I mean, granted the cut-off numbers for each tier is probably arbitrary as well we should still have some sort of figure to separate them.
  29. The Star King

The Star King Smash Hero

Yeah, it was arbitrary, but I don't care much about average ranking in terms of grouping tiers. Glancing at the Fox Falcon example, all that tells me is that the disagreements in the Fox/Kirby order widens the gap between Fox and Falcon, not that Fox is much better than Falcon.

This simply isn't good way to separate tiers. Let's hypothetically imagine that the gaps between each character is larger, but they're in the same order. Now, this will probably smooth out the differences in opinion, but other than that the tiering would be the same, despite the worse balance overall. See what I'm saying?

I don't really have a good suggestion for separating them in a non-arbitrary way, though.
  30. Nintendude

Nintendude Smash Master

While I'm aware this isn't a good means of dividing up the tiers, it is worth noting that there are clear trends between tiers if you look at the range of votes. No character in C tier was ranked better than 6th and every character in D tier was ranked worst by at least 1 SBR member. My justification for putting Pikachu in his own tier is that he has no matchups worse than even, regardless of stage, and is unanimously agreed upon to be the best.
  31. Sempiternity

Sempiternity Smash Lord

This is ****ing great. I ****ing love stats and ****ing graphs.
  32. NovaSmash

NovaSmash Smash Lord

3DS Friend Code:
    2079-8171-3301
    the tiers are fine the way they are
  33. t3h Icy

t3h Icy Smash Master

Can this be official? :D
  34. jimmyjoe

jimmyjoe Filthy Hori

• Premium
    Good points, and I do like the way these tiers are divided. Let's do a strictly D tier showdown!
    I'm totally in for the idea of all of us doing this in the main forum as well, but here's a thought:

nm decided to start a new thread for this idea as it's expanding to something more complex..
  35. SubparSmashBrother

SubparSmashBrother Smash Ace

Hey icy do you still do that rby 2010 thing? You should do something like this there and come up with a list of the top 20 rby pokemon, just a suggestion
  36. The Star King

The Star King Smash Hero

37. MechaWave

MechaWave Smash Champion

It's about ****ing time.
  38. NixxxoN

NixxxoN Smash Master

i wonder why tiers keep on being discussed for ever and ever? what are exactly the benefits of knwoing the perfect tier list, i dont know.
  39. Fish641

Fish641 Smash Apprentice

Data junkies / people that like to organize their world
  40. Sangoku

Sangoku Moderator

I think it's mainly for new players to competitive smash. They can have some information about the game.