• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Austin, TX Tournament Interest

Zintex

Smash Rookie
Hello fellow smashers! I am the owner and CEO of the gaming organization Maximum Impulse (MAXIMP for short). I would love to start running professional events for Smash Bros (in all formats), but I would like to see how many people are interested. But first, a bit about me.

I have been a lurker of smashboards for some time, and have only recently found a need to create an account. I played Melee to a semi-pro level, in that I made a bit of money, but I never pursued pro gaming as a serious profession. Fast forward a few years and here I am with a top-tier Pokemon team, and high-level League of Legends and Hearthstone team. Basically what I am saying is that I have a track-record of success and I want to bring that to Smash Bros.

I would love to start running something akin to a large scaled tournament for 64, Melee and Brawl, but first I need to see if the community has any interest in a more professionally ran tournament.

What I would like to provide: a great venue, food, drinks, prizes, fun, and a great atmosphere. The best professional smashing experience outside of MLG.

What I need to provide such things: lots of community interest. I can't start this without a minimum of 16 players, and the more players, the more I can provide in terms of prize money, swag, food, and fun. Basically, the more people that want to go, the more I am willing to invest in terms of time and money.

If this sounds great to you, post on this thread, tell your friends about this thread, put this in your Facebook status, etc. Market the hell out of this. The more people that know about it, the better! I have the resources to do this. All I need is the community behind me to start it up.

Chives

Smash Rookie
First of all, thank you very much for doing this!

I know personally I would be super Interested. I also have 2 friends who don't frequent smashboards but I know they would also be very interested. I also have a 3rd friend who is sort-of-kind-of-but-not-really-but-actually is interested in competitive smash. If he gets on board with competitive smash I know you would have 4 people interested. I'll try and spread the word.

Edit:
Posted about this on the Austin Melee Facebook group. If you want you could talk about this over there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Austin.Melee/764797146869740/?notif_t=group_activity

0tter

Smash Rookie
This. This right here is going to get Texas Smash HUGE. We are so unknown to the rest of the country, we have a lot of rising players and many who have been dominating the region for years. It's time we got our name out there, with videos and streams, this sounds like it's going to be great. Posting this to Houston Melee ASAP https://www.facebook.com/groups/223986011009934/

Hagakure623

Smash Rookie
I'm interested.
Would these be particular to Austin?
Do you have any particular place/venue in mind?
Would this be a series of tournaments? If so, how often would these be?
I'm pretty confident that you'll get at least 16 people if this is posted in the Texas facebook groups (DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, wherever else). What are your plans assuming you get enough support?

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Trust me when I say that a lot more than 16 people will be interested in something like this for Melee alone.

Edit: This sounds really awesome, Austin's Melee scene is really good, and people will definitely travel from other Texas cities to come to these events if they are as good as they sound like they will be. Austin is having a tournament this weekend that will have at LEAST 60 people at it, so Melee is very alive in Texas and is only growing

Sizzle

I paint controllers
The community is very active here in Austin and the proof is Forte, the largest Texas regional held in years taking place this weekend at UT. I could name 16 people off the top of my head who would be willing to do anything to see this succeed.

MT_

Smash Ace
Hi Zintex,

I'm one of the community leaders of the Austin Melee scene (wow that sounded arrogant lol, but I think most people would agree). I'm also one of the hosts of a large-scale Melee tournament coming up this Saturday and Sunday. I'd be interested in seeing what exactly you have to offer for Melee here. Regarding community interest, here is no lack of that in Austin especially within this past year. Our most recent local tournament that we run monthly had 36 entranats; I think the interest in Melee within Austin is evident. Let me know if you want to talk in more detail; go ahead and join the Austin Melee FB group and make a post there. My name is Matthew Chan; I'll message you or you can message me.

bowl

Smash Cadet
HI, I am VERY interested and I am mainly a 64 smash player. I know we can get players interested from the 64 scene as well

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
I would absolutely be interested in this! There would definitely be enough of a player base to get this going. I've got some friends that don't have smashboards accounts that I'm sure would also be interested, I'll make sure they know about it too.

spoonface46

Smash Rookie
I'm a casual, but my friends and I are learning and would go just to spectate and hype it up. That's at least 5 people I can promise would be there and probably play to learn even though we'd probably suck. I'm really psyched about this happening, and really appreciate your interest in making this happen.

Gormless1992

Smash Rookie
I'm fairly casual as well, but I can say for certain that I would be interested in any events in the Austin area. I also work at an office full of gamers, recently set up a cube and got some Melee going, and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been turned off since being plugged in. I can hype there no problem at all.

rustyw

Smash Cadet
There is a big 64 community in Austin, we definitely need more tournaments.

Chazz

Smash Rookie
Made an account just to post this. I have a group of friends that would be very interested in this, so I say go for it

Zintex

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all your interest guys! Sorry for the long time between posts. Busy with RL stuff...

Anyways, it would come down to how much support I could get with running the logistics of the tournament itself. I myself have never run a Smash Tournament, and I bet a ton of you guys have experience with it. The tournament itself would need to be in several weeks. People who are interested in staffing type roles (TO's, casting, setup, etc) message me ASAP.

All in all, the experience itself will be limited only by the number of people we can get invested into this, and the marketing we put up. I would like to keep it relatively small for the first few times (something like 16 people), just to garner exactly what kind of experience would be put out, and to gain some respect within the community. Once the community is established, I will be more willing to invest more time and money into this.

Just to touch on exactly what is needed:

-PEOPLE. The more people interested (be it spectators and players) the larger I can make this and the more of everything (food, space, money) that can be provided.

-Staff. I have NEVER ran a tournament for this game before(in a professional scene). I have experience in running a tournament in itself, but Smash Bros is a beast in itself. The more people I have willing to help with all aspects of setting this up, the better. Even putting up a TV would increase the quality of the experience dramatically.

-Marketing. People need to talk about this everywhere. Social media is huge, and is likely where the vast majority of the player base is going to come from.

For now, that's really all I need. I have a bunch of work to do, logistically, and I need to get in contact with those who are interested in helping. Make sure you post any questions, comments, or concerns here, so we can keep interest alive! I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on progress, through the various FB groups and this forum.

AbsoluteBlack

Smash Apprentice
I'm happy to help if I can, but I wouldn't expect it to stay that small, even at first. The Melee scene has gotten much larger recently, with EVO and the doc, and tournaments are being flooded by new players. 2013 had the highest tournament attendance in history.

match

Smash Rookie
Hello fellow smashers! I am the owner and CEO of the gaming organization Maximum Impulse (MAXIMP for short). I would love to start running professional events for Smash Bros (in all formats), but I would like to see how many people are interested. But first, a bit about me.

I have been a lurker of smashboards for some time, and have only recently found a need to create an account. I played Melee to a semi-pro level, in that I made a bit of money, but I never pursued pro gaming as a serious profession. Fast forward a few years and here I am with a top-tier Pokemon team, and high-level League of Legends and Hearthstone team. Basically what I am saying is that I have a track-record of success and I want to bring that to Smash Bros.

I would love to start running something akin to a large scaled tournament for 64, Melee and Brawl, but first I need to see if the community has any interest in a more professionally ran tournament.

What I would like to provide: a great venue, food, drinks, prizes, fun, and a great atmosphere. The best professional smashing experience outside of MLG.

What I need to provide such things: lots of community interest. I can't start this without a minimum of 16 players, and the more players, the more I can provide in terms of prize money, swag, food, and fun. Basically, the more people that want to go, the more I am willing to invest in terms of time and money.

If this sounds great to you, post on this thread, tell your friends about this thread, put this in your Facebook status, etc. Market the hell out of this. The more people that know about it, the better! I have the resources to do this. All I need is the community behind me to start it up.
I would be glad to help in any way i can and me and my brother would be glad to compete as well as 3 friends weve been trying to teach TO smash techniques. Al in all this would account up to about 16 players or more with the people who have already commented and publicity. send me a message if you need my email or any help setting this up. Make sure to give me a heads up when you get this set up.

PZ Crawfish

Smash Rookie
I will go to this, I haven't heard of any tournaments in austin in a while and I have friends who would also go.
Let us know when it is!

Styles

Smash Rookie
This is a great idea! I've been looking for other Austin players for a while. I've never been to a tournament before, and I need the experience.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all your interest guys! Sorry for the long time between posts. Busy with RL stuff...

Anyways, it would come down to how much support I could get with running the logistics of the tournament itself. I myself have never run a Smash Tournament, and I bet a ton of you guys have experience with it. The tournament itself would need to be in several weeks. People who are interested in staffing type roles (TO's, casting, setup, etc) message me ASAP.

All in all, the experience itself will be limited only by the number of people we can get invested into this, and the marketing we put up. I would like to keep it relatively small for the first few times (something like 16 people), just to garner exactly what kind of experience would be put out, and to gain some respect within the community. Once the community is established, I will be more willing to invest more time and money into this.

Just to touch on exactly what is needed:

-PEOPLE. The more people interested (be it spectators and players) the larger I can make this and the more of everything (food, space, money) that can be provided.

-Staff. I have NEVER ran a tournament for this game before(in a professional scene). I have experience in running a tournament in itself, but Smash Bros is a beast in itself. The more people I have willing to help with all aspects of setting this up, the better. Even putting up a TV would increase the quality of the experience dramatically.

-Marketing. People need to talk about this everywhere. Social media is huge, and is likely where the vast majority of the player base is going to come from.

For now, that's really all I need. I have a bunch of work to do, logistically, and I need to get in contact with those who are interested in helping. Make sure you post any questions, comments, or concerns here, so we can keep interest alive! I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on progress, through the various FB groups and this forum.
You will have the backing of the Fort Worth Classic if you do this.

Rolton Cussell

Smash Cadet
Super interesting in doing something like this. I would support and go to every single get together / tournament in Austin for any smash game.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Top Bottom