• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Aug 4, 2015] Smash @ Packrats Bi-Weeklies (Hilliard OH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys. My name is Alfred (AlfaStryke) and I'm one of the TOs in Central Ohio. We're rapidly expanding in Columbus and we decided to put our skills to the test. Do you have what it takes? Do you want to chill and have fun? YOU SHOULD COME!

***IMPORTANT UPDATES***
1) The venue has relocated to Packrat Comics. They are a great venue that is willing to support us! They are a card shop that also sells figurines, comic books, board games etc. You can check them out here:

http://packratcomics.com/

SETUPS:
Please,Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Bring setups! This is one of the biggest individual factors that can make or break a smooth tournament! Less setups = Less tourney matches that can be played at once = Longer, more dragged out brackets = you are waiting more to play = less friendlies you can play = you will be sitting around longer doing nothing = NOT FUN!
THANK YOU AND BEST OF LUCK!

PRE-REGISTRATION:

PRE-REGISTER HERE
Although this is not a requirement, this will help me make up a good portion of the bracket prior to showing before the day of so I can get brackets started on time. Its better to do it the day prior versus rushing and doing it right then and there.

Even if you are considering coming just sign up, it is not set in stone when you sign up. Its MUCH easier to take you out of the bracket if I find out that you can not enter. However, I will appreciate it if you contact me and let me know you are not coming before 6pm the day of!

**** If you need to contact me please visit HERE or reply below (you will get a quicker response if you visit the link *****

WHEN:
Bi-Weekly see title for date

WHERE:
Packrat Comics
3864 Lattimer St, Hilliard, OH 43026. It's in a pocket area with a pizza place (which is amazing) (Pizza Place closed on Tuesdays) and a bar. It is near Walgreens on the opposite side.

FOOD:
There is no food served at the venue, but there are some other places to get food, like pizza and fast food joints in driving distance.

PARKING INFO:
There is plenty of parking in front of the building. You can drive to the back of the building to load/unload. You can park literally inches away from the door (find the door labeled 3862). once you do please park in the front or in the parking lot behind the building to allow other people to use the loading area.

PRICE:
$2 Venue Fee
$5 Project M singles
$5 Smash 4 Singles

WHY IS THERE A VENUE FEE: 2 Dollars, 2 Reasons

1) To help pay for the increasing electric bill for using up electricity at their building
2) To help support Columbus Smash and increasing the scene.

SETUPS:
Please,Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, Bring setups! This is one of the biggest individual factors that can make or break a smooth tournament! Less setups = Less tourney matches that can be played at once = Longer, more dragged out brackets = you are waiting more to play = less friendlies you can play = you will be sitting around longer doing nothing = NOT FUN!

SCHEDULE: (Note that this is the tentative schedule!)
6:00pm - Friendlies and Fun
6:55pm - Last Call Smash 4 Registration
7:00pm - Smash 4 Brackets Begins
7:55pm - Last Call
8:00pm - PM Singles Bracket Begins
12:00am- (or whenever I feel like it) Closing up shop

If you will be late or have the possibility of being late , please contact me ahead of time (Before 6PM the day of) If you do not and you are a no-show I will strike you from the pool/bracket and once it starts there is a HUGE possibility I will not be able to add you on. Also due to the possibility of holding up the Bracket/Pools I can not enter you in if you are going to be more than 15 min late to the event. If you are running late, even if you do contact me that does not mean I will hold up matches until you arrive. If you are holding up the tournament I will DQ you and I will proceed on with the tournament.
PAYOUTS:
Singles < 32:

1) 60%
2) 30%
3) 10%

Singles > 32:

1) 55%
2) 30%
3) 10%
4) 5%

SETUPS:
THANK YOU AND BEST OF LUCK! (noticed I placed this 3 times already? Must be a reason :happysheep:)

RULES

General Format

As of S@P 9, We have tested an all pools format, due to the overly positive feedback on all pools we will be doing that for both Project M and Smash 4 from now on.

HOWEVER! THE T.O. (me) DOES HOLD THE RIGHT TO SWITCH IT BACK TO BRACKET FORMAT WITHOUT NOTIFICATION (typically if there is a lack of complete setups to run it effectively)

What is this all pools format?

Good question, all pools format is where I will place everyone in several groups called pools (usually 4-5, more or less depending on how many people entered). What then happens is that everybody plays against everyone in their pools round robin style in a 1 set, best 2/3 games match. After everyone played against eachother in thier pools a top portion of the players will move on (I will let you know before you play how many people make it out of each pool). If you move on you will be placed in another pool and repeat the process until there is one final pool and the top players get paid out (typically top 3).

Sounds cool and all but what is the advantage of doing this over a traditional bracket?

More Games for you! Epically newer/less experienced players. In a traditional double elimination bracket worst case scenario is you will play only 2 games. However if you play all pools and are placed in a 5 man pool you will be playing a minimum of 4 games if you are eliminated first. In addition you are never waiting on trying to find out who you have to play next. The pool sheet will be given to your group and on that sheet will have all the players in your pool listed so you will know everyone you have to play against eventually. You get more bang for your buck, you do not have to spend time trying to figure out who you have to play next, and there is WAY less waiting around for your next match. Plus after simulating many scenarios math wise, the amount of time to do this versus a typical double elimination bracket takes nearly the same time.

Other General Rules

• Food and Drinks are allowed. However CLEAN UP YOUR MESSES! If I have to play maid week after week I will not allow food there anymore)
  • LISTEN TO YOUR T.O. The TO has final saying/ruling. Failure to follow the TO's instructions can result in Disqualification (and no you will not get your money back if you are DQ'ed)
  • Be Friendly. One of my goals hosting these bi-weeklies is for everyone to enjoy themselves and have a great time. Believe it or not a huge factor in that relies on YOUR behavior. Make a positive impact that makes the event more enjoyable.
  • Be Helpful. The better you get, the more people will come to you and ask you for help. Don't be afraid to share your know-how and help another fellow improve their game play.
  • Be an Honorable opponent! Be humble in victory and graceful in defeat. It is OK to become salty but if you go over the top and do stuff like throw controllers/tables/chairs I will instantly disqualify you from the tournament you and ask you to leave the building.
  • Most importantly. HAVE FUN!!!!!
(Bonus Points if you know where I derived the bold rulesets from)

PROJECT M

General Rules
  • Game Settings: 4 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit, Best of 3 Games. Finals are Best of 5.
  • Items are disabled.
  • Input buffer is disabled
  • All chain grabs and infinites are legal
  • Pause option is disabled in the game menu. If left on, accidental pausing mid match forfeits a stock.
  • You may not choose the last stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
  • If time runs outs, the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage. If percentage is tied, a 1 stock, 3 minute match is played.
  • Playing as Giga Bowser is banned

Doubles Rules
  • Team Attack enabled
  • Sharing stocks is allowed
Stage List
  • Neutral Stages
  • Dreamland (64)
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Counter-Pick Stages (2 bans)
  • Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
  • Final Destination
  • Green Hill Zone
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Yoshi's Story (Melee) (SINGLES ONLY)
  • Distant Planet (DOUBLES ONLY)
Match Procedure
  1. Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.
  2. Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or second Stage Strike
  3. Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), the first player removes two(2) and the second player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
  4. The players play the first match of the set
  5. Winning player of the preceding match bans three stages from the full list of stages, both Neutral and Counter-Pick. Does not apply to Best of 5 sets.
  6. The Losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step, nor a stage they've already won on during this set, unless agreed.
  7. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  9. The losing player of the preceding match may change their controller port.
  10. The next match is played
  11. Repeat Steps 5 through 10 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

Smash 4 WII U

General Rules
* 2 stock, 6:00 minute timer.
* Items OFF.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* If Time limit is up and Stocks and Percents are the same you will do a 1 stock 3 min game to determine the winner of that game
* Custom Moves are BANNED
* Custom Equipment is BANNED.
* Mii Fighters are BANNED
* Modified DSR: You cannot counterpick any stage you won on in the set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* Best out of 5 sets will only have one ban
* All finals sets/pools are best out of 5
Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “121″ fashion:
(Rock Paper Scissors to determine who strikes first)
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.
Stage list:

Starters:
-Battlefield
-Town and City
-Smashville
-Lylat Cruise
-Final Destination
Counterpicks: 2 Bans
-Delfino Plaza
-Halberd (Singles Only)
-Duck Hunt
-Kongo Jungle 64
-Castle Siege
-Skyloft
After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

SETUPS:

We also have a facebook group here if you want to become part of the group! @ SoulPech SoulPech also co running this tournament as well. If anything changes I'll notate it in the thread.

Last edited:

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
Gonna be there for my spring break. First ever time on the smash tourney scene
Good stuff! hope to see you there :) its gonna be all pools instead of your traditional bracket so you will get more games in than an normal tournament.

Last edited:

Nilloce

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nilloce
3DS FC
3668-8417-8470
Does it always take place on Tuesdays or is it just for this week? If future tourneys happen to take place on Friday or the week end, I may be attending.

Edit: I see the next one is on April 14th, so I will just assume that it is only on Tuesdays. This is inconvenient to me at this time; perhaps I will attend in the summer when I do not have classes. I noticed you are one of the closest Smash scenes around my area, so you can definitely look forward to seeing me in the future.

Last edited:

wigler

Smash Rookie
I've got one 20" CRT and 20" LCD, and between me and my friends we've got 2-3 Wii/GCs ready to play Melee or PM.

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
Does it always take place on Tuesdays or is it just for this week? If future tourneys happen to take place on Friday or the week end, I may be attending.

Edit: I see the next one is on April 14th, so I will just assume that it is only on Tuesdays. This is inconvenient to me at this time; perhaps I will attend in the summer when I do not have classes. I noticed you are one of the closest Smash scenes around my area, so you can definitely look forward to seeing me in the future.
Yeah as of right now it is every other Tuesday. So whenever you get the chance make sure to stop by!

Smash Apprentice
I'm considering attending. I used to be in the brawl tourney scene, and I recently bought a wii u to start smash back up. Still need a GC adapter :(

So I might come with exactly no practice. Yay.

Bringing a setup with no GC adapter would be fairly useless, I assume? I wouldn't imagine anyone rolls up with extras.

SuperSalamence

Smash Cadet
NNID
T-Flex
3DS FC
5455-9990-9310
I'm going to be out of town so I won't be able to come to the next one so if you could please hold on to that black controller for about a month that would be great.

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys for those that keeps up on Smashboards I have re-activated Pre-registration, go to the Pre-Registration link in the thread to pre-register. That will help me out greatly to get things rollin on a timely manner. It will give me a good idea about attendance and I can have most of the pools/brackets set up and ready to go when we walk in the door @ 6. If you can try to pre-register by Midnight the day prior so I can have a few hours to get pools written up and seeded out. In addition the Raffle incentive is back. For those who don't know if you Pre-register by the deadline (Tuesday @ Midnight. your submissions are timestamed lol) you get 1 raffle ticket. If you bring a setup you get an additional ticket. Do both and you get 3 tickets. The door prize will be the next Packrat $5 entry fee free (so essentially you will just have to pay $2 next time for packrats if you win the door prize or $7 if you want to play both games versus $12). Not bad huh? So yeah.... please pre-reg. I can not stress how helpful it will be for me. Thank you!!! and good luck

Victreesmash

Smash Rookie
My older brother and I are going to try to make it to the next tourney on the 23rd. It's going to be our first tournament, so I'm looking to play a lot of friendlies. I'll do what I can to bring a set up as well.

YYZ_

Smash Rookie
I might want to come to the next tournament. It's the closest local to me, so why not? I'll probably get dumped on but it seems fun.

Xanesane

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xanesane
Don't worrey absol I put in the sheik work for boath of us this tourney I gots third :3

AlfaStryke

Smash Apprentice
Here are the results for Smash @ Packrat 18. I will fill out Usernames and some people I know who used what. But if you can go in and add in what character you used and your username. Thanks and I will see you in about 2 weeks for SAP 19

Also, If you know any characters of the players i didnt put in please post on that thread so I can add in what character they used (Smashboards Admins want this filled out as much as possible)

http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-packrat-18-results-7-7-2015.409494/

Last edited:

[vs]

Smash Rookie
Anybody willing to give me a ride back from Packrats on [how do i delete a post]? I live downtown Columbus.

Last edited:

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Hm, I might come to this to play Smash 4, but I'd need to find a ride. I guess I have a little time to find one lol

EDIT: Good god it is 2 hours away, might be harder to get there than I thought

Last edited:

Victreesmash

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately, this upcoming tourney is going to be my last, at least until I have a break in college if this is still going on. I'm moving down to Mobile, Alabama for college in about a week. I've really enjoyed Packrats, and I hope that I'll be able to go back when I come home on breaks.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Hello!

This tournament series has been canceled for over a year. If the Mods are reading this, please close/lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom