• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Dec 17, 2016] Baby, it's Salty Outside: A Smash 4 Tournament and Can Drive (Hubbard, OH)

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Four days away. Can't wait to see you guys. Remember, Dreamland 64 is required for your set-up.

We'll be trying to stream Evo (mostly Smash 4, but maybe Melee too)

Tell your friends. Arm yourselves with knowledge. :awesome:

Last edited:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
The EVO stream may not be happening after all. Several complications. Hope nobody got their hopes up about it.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
We're back on for Sunday, August 30th! No news yet on any extra details. Tell your friends!

Also, we ran 3-stock last minute at the last event. We make the decision by polling everybody on the spot. So be ready for anything.

The_Gizmo

Smash Rookie
Probably will be here with a friend or two! ^_^ its a bit out there but totally worth going to.

Shaneomac38

Smash Rookie
DLC Must include Dreamland 64. As far as Miis go, I haven't talked to him yet but it is usually pretty flexible with the movesets

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Any mii moveset and size are allowed (no equipment). We have standard Miis at the ready, but if you want your own wonky custom size, that's your responsibility to figure out how it gets there.

Also for DLC, we'd very much prefer that you have all the character DLC.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Registration ends at 2 PM (if you arriving late, we can work something out). Doubles starts at 2, singles starts at 3 - 3:30 PM. We usually end everything between 8 and 9, depending on the number of set-ups that come in and the number of players we get.

dollaBillz

CWRU Smash 4 TO
To clarify, the upcoming food drive tournament has a $5 double elim singles bracket and a $1 + canned food single elim singles bracket? It wasn't super clear to me in the FB post.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
There are our regular singles and doubles events (double elim, cash prize, etc.).

The Food Drive Bracket is single elimination, but you can enter it up to three times. I'll be posting the rules soon. It's a different kind of event, but it's for charity.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Here’s our special event for The Youngstown Trials V: The Food Drive Bracket.

Alongside the doubles and singles bracket, there will be an additional singles bracket. The rules are standard, aside from a few changes. First, for the sake of time, this bracket is single elimination. To enter this event, all it costs is $1 and 1 canned good. However, for each canned good you bring, you get an additional spot in the bracket (Max: 3). So, if you give 3 cans of soup, you get three spots on the bracket. NON-PERISHABLE FOODS ONLY!

There are additional rules:

- Again, for every can you enter (Max: 3), you get one spot on the bracket. So if I bring three cans, I have three individual spots (Altrox 1, Altrox 2, and Altrox 3)

- For each given spot, you must choose a character and STICK WITH IT for that spot. If you have multiple spots, you must use a different character on each spot (so if I enter three cans, I can’t put Yoshi on three spots. But I could use Yoshi, Roy, and Bowser Jr. individually on each spot).

- If two characters of the same player meet on the bracket, they “fuse”. This means that any player who faces that “fused” player has to fight and beat both characters in separate sets to advance (Example: My Yoshi faces against one of Mav’s spots, who’s Fox and Falco have “fused”. Even if my Yoshi beats his Falco in the first set, I would still have to also beat his Fox in a set in order to eliminate his spot. If Mav's Fox beats my Yoshi though, he would move on, though he would "lose" his Falco for any additional sets).

- If a character loses a set, that character is eliminated permanently.

The winner gets 70% of the pot and an already bought Amiibo (purchased out of the goodness of my heart, so tough ******* if you already own the Amiibo I give you). Second place gets 30% of the pot. Third place gets the satisfaction of having helped those in need.

Benefits of this event:

- It’s cheap (at the least, it’s only one dollar and one canned good).

- You get to play more sets at the event. If you bring three cans, you are guaranteed at least three additional sets.

- It’s flexible. If you’re waiting on your next singles match, you can get in some games via this bracket.

- You get to see some secondaries out of those of us who focus on one character.

- You’re donating canned goods to those in need, so you’ll leave the event feeling like less of a douchebag than usual.

Anybody like this idea? If not, would you at least do it for the kids?

Last edited:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
You'll see me there for sure. Bring your A game people!
I got your call. Friendlies, set-up, and registration begins at 12 PM. Doubles starts at 1 PM. Singles will probably start as doubles begins finishing up (likely to start at 2:30-ish).

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Good news! Second Harvest Food Bank of the Mahoning Valley will happily accept our non-perishable food donations. So come for the standard events (standard singles and doubles, as usual), but bring a dollar and a can (or three) for the food drive bracket. That Amiibo and spare cash could be yours.

A list of their most needed food items are as follows:

Peanut butter
Cereal
Canned vegetables
Canned fruit
Tuna fish
Dry pasta
Canned soup
Macaroni and cheese

Just so you know, if you bring a full, giant box of cereal or one of those mega-cans of soup/peanut butter, I'll count it as being more than one can. But so help me, if you bring perishable items (like bread), I'll give you the look. But I'll have extra cans for anybody who forgot theirs. You'll just have to pay me a small fee for them (they're going to the bank either way, but if you want to play, we have options.)

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Do the food drive brackets run after singles? Unfortunately I live in PA and I have school the next day, I may not be able to stay that late.

:c
It will be running DURING doubles and singles. Basically, whenever you have time and an open set-up, you can play a match towards that bracket.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Competing in the Can Drive Bracket? Along with a small sum of money, this is the Amiibo you're playing for. Now this is worth a few cans of food, no? Also, the GLORY!

ganondorf the great.jpg

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Do you have a ballpark guess to how many people will show?
I can make an estimate. We've never had below 20. Currently have 25 confirms on the FB page and roughly the same in maybes, not including people who show up who don't post there. Last time, we had 38 participants, so this time... I'd like to say between 25 and 35 at least? I hope I'm not overshooting that figure. I don't know who shows up til the day of, save a few names.

From what I understanding though, we have decent-sized groups coming in from Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and some from Akron. Not to mention Ytown's own.

Volt826

Sup
Wait... registration starts at 12 and ends at 1? Just double checking, because I assumed it was the same as last time and was planning on leaving for that time.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Yup... I had to start an hour earlier, since I don't know how running three semi-simultaneous brackets is going to go.

If for some reason you end up running late, let me know and we can hold a spot for you for a certain length of time.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I dropped off the cans we collected at The Youngstown Trials V at the Second Harvest Food Bank of the Mahoning Valley this afternoon, and got this reply in my email.

"The food you collected came to 111 pounds! That’s about 93 meals that you provided for hungry families in the tri-county area!!

Please extend our gratitude to anyone that participated in your event.

Thank you so much!"

Thanks to everybody who donated. You did a good thing :)

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Important news regarding the charity bracket

Alongside the doubles and singles bracket
, there will be an additional singles bracket. The rules are standard, aside from a few changes. First, for the sake of time, this bracket is single elimination. To enter this event, all it costs is $1 and 1 item listed below. However, for each item good you bring, you get an additional spot in the bracket (Max: 3). So, if you give 3 items, you get three spots on the bracket. If you bring food, NON-PERISHABLE FOODS ONLY!

There are additional rules:

- Again, for every item you enter (Max: 3), you get one spot on the bracket. So if I bring items, I have three individual spots (Altrox 1, Altrox 2, and Altrox 3)

- For each given spot, you must choose a character and STICK WITH IT for that spot. If you have multiple spots, you must use a different character on each spot (so if I enter three cans, I can’t put Yoshi on three spots. But I could use Yoshi, Roy, and Bowser Jr. individually on each spot).

- If two characters of the same player meet on the bracket, they “fuse”. This means that any player who faces that “fused” player has to fight and beat both characters in separate sets to advance (Example: My Yoshi faces against one of Mav’s spots, who’s Fox and Falco have “fused”. Even if my Yoshi beats his Falco in the first set, I would still have to also beat his Fox in a set in order to eliminate his spot. If Mav's Fox beats my Yoshi though, he would move on, though he would "lose" his Falco for any additional sets).

- If a character loses a set, that character is eliminated permanently.

The winner gets 70% of the pot and an already bought Amiibo (purchased out of the goodness of my heart, so tough ******* if you already own the Amiibo I give you). Second place gets 30% of the pot. Third place gets the satisfaction of having helped those in need.

Benefits of this event:

- It’s cheap (at the least, it’s only one dollar and one canned good).

- You get to play more sets at the event. If you bring three items, you are guaranteed at least three additional sets.

- It’s flexible. If you’re waiting on your next singles match, you can get in some games via this bracket.

- You get to see some secondaries out of those of us who focus on one character.

- You’re donating muchly needed items to those in need, so you’ll leave the event feeling like less of a douchebag than usual.

Top needed items:

Women's, Children's, or Baby's socks (one pair = one slot, so a full pack gets you in)
Toiletries (Bars of soap (full size, not hotel size), Toothbrushes, Toothpaste (full size), Liquid soap, shampoo, lotions/sprays, baby wipes, band-aids, toilet paper)
Cleaning supplies
Paper towels
Kid's toys/games
Canned fruits/vegetables
Canned soup or sauce
Dry pasta
Peanut butter or Jelly

Also, I'm going to take this up a notch: for every person who attends wearing an ugly Christmas/Hanukkah/Solstice/Holiday sweater (not shirt, sweater), I'll donate an extra pair of socks. If you come wearing a festive item of some other kind (shirt, hat, snowy white beard, etc.), I'll donate a bar of soap, tube of toothpaste, or toothbrush). So, the more festive you are, the more stuff I'll buy.

Donations go to Someplace Safe, a local shelter for women and children escaping from domestic violence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom