• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Aug 30, 2014] [Melee / PM / Smash64*] Super Smashed Monthly #2 (Wetumpka)

imrai

Smash Apprentice
Original Post
Trying to start up a new event, and pending a more permanent venue we will be running it as a smashfest out of my house with a $5 bracket. I'm considering a door fee of $2 and providing some food drinks and using the money to buy stuff like cups and garbage bags and other things I'll need, feel free to give input on that. Final details will be posted by tomorrow at 5:00 pm at the latest. I may be able to provide housing for some people, but you'll need to contact me for more details and it's on a first come first serve basis. The time estimate is a very loose one, I have no idea how long this will run because I have no idea how many people will show up. If a significant turnout starts to arise, I'll be getting a bigger venue next time around (or possibly this week if I can arrange it). If enough people request it we can change the starting time, but in the end I'll put that at my discretion so I can insure that the largest brackets possible for each event get run. Smash 64 will only run if people bring setups for that specifically. Setups for Melee + PM will be provided but please feel free to bring your own if you can, just make sure if you let me know that you're bringing one and your plans change that you inform me so I can have an accurate count to run the event in a timely manner.

Schedule:

Aug. 30, 2014 - Monthly #2 @ The Spawn Point in Wetumpka.
Melee + PM, Doubles Singles. We will start with PM Doubles, then singles, then Melee Doubles and finally singles.
$5 at the door, $5 per pool. 60/30/10 payout.

Both PM and Melee with use the Apex 2014 ruleset.

Results Thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/montgomery-al-super-smashed-monthlies-results-thread.364098

EDIT: PLEASE VOTE ON THE STRAWPOLL HERE TO HELP DECIDE HOW OFTEN THESE EVENTS ARE HELD! http://strawpoll.me/2233853

Last edited:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I would really like to see this become pretty nice. I'll show up when I can and support. I'm still in summer school at the moment, so I cant guarantee anything yet.

Also I'm not sure, but usually people prefer monthlies to biweeklies for actual tournaments for the amount of active players we have (since other tournaments will be happening as well and attendance could be wonky). Practice nights definitely need to happen a lot though.

imrai

Smash Apprentice
I would really like to see this become pretty nice. I'll show up when I can and support. I'm still in summer school at the moment, so I cant guarantee anything yet.

Also I'm not sure, but usually people prefer monthlies to biweeklies for actual tournaments for the amount of active players we have (since other tournaments will be happening as well and attendance could be wonky). Practice nights definitely need to happen a lot though.
I would be fine with monthlies (partially just because I can change our acronym to SSBM from SSBB LOL) because that would be easier to organize and open up my travel schedule for tournaments a bit more. Oh, and if people are seriously looking for practice in my area and haven't already been hitting me up despite my numerous threads in ASL... we have a problem... For future notice, practice night at my house is every night.

So my current plan is to strawpoll a few things in ASL and the AL thread after the tourney... we'll see where we go from there as far as schedule.

Last edited:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Also, getting a venue will legitimize this very quickly, and likely people wont come far and wide for a house tournaments just yet. It's perfectly fine for a start-up as you're doing though.

We've always had trouble finding venues near Montgomery, but none of us really live around there so hopefully you'll have better resources!

imrai

Smash Apprentice
Also, getting a venue will legitimize this very quickly, and likely people wont come far and wide for a house tournaments just yet. It's perfectly fine for a start-up as you're doing though.

We've always had trouble finding venues near Montgomery, but none of us really live around there so hopefully you'll have better resources!
I have some ideas, but none of them are stellar. And the house should be fine for this weekend, yeah. My only real concern was parking initially but I don't think that's going to be an issue tbh. If it becomes one, I have a back up plan.

I do need people who are coming to please RSVP so I can try and have an accurate head count.

Last edited:

Mikeyy

Smash Apprentice
I wish I could make it Tyler.
You guys gunna be coming down for Smash and Brew 2, and HP 5?

Mikeyy

Smash Apprentice
Aug. 9 is Smash and Brew 2
Aug. 10 is Hidden Power 5
It's gunna be a stupid Hype weekend.

imrai

Smash Apprentice
Dude, I've been playing super lame with Falco.
It looks like I've improved, but I haven't, I just stepped up the lame.
=)
I didn't know you could do that, I thought Falco spawned in to the stage L-cancelling the down air you just ate and tech chasing you.

Aug. 9 is Smash and Brew 2
Aug. 10 is Hidden Power 5
It's gunna be a stupid Hype weekend.
We should be there then. I will at the very least, I'm pretty sure Cody said he was free then...

Last edited:

dx_Fang

Smash Rookie
I still would like bi-weeklies regardless of active player base. It shows that something is happening and people are actively trying to make it grow. By the sounds of it... we can easily get a 12-16 player bracket in no time.

Last edited:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm wrong, but biweeklies is just too often, as in it's not likely everyone will show up for every other week (especially with the long distances in Alabama). It could be that more people are that dedicated than I'm led to believe.

If they're spaced out enough, I think, then it's more likely that everyone will go every time.

Also, I really want to know if Joel, jan, or anyone else from b'ham is going. Splitting gas yo

Last edited:

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
I ****ing work this Saturday. Great. Of all the times they randomly make me work the weekend.

I will try and see if someone will cover for me but no promises.

Also rai, what was the music you told me while you were here and I said I could probably use it as menu music. I keep reminding my self to ask you and then forget.

As long as the biweekly never ends up on the same weekend as Hidden Power I'm good with it.
And cody pls dont leaverino.

Last edited:

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
Yoooo man this setup looks sick...pretty new to the Boards, so I'm not well known at all. I know a few people, myself included, who would be interested in bi weeklies and stuff. How long are y'all thinking about keeping this up? @ imrai imrai

imrai

Smash Apprentice
I ****ing work this Saturday. Great. Of all the times they randomly make me work the weekend.

I will try and see if someone will cover for me but no promises.

Also rai, what was the music you told me while you were here and I said I could probably use it as menu music. I keep reminding my self to ask you and then forget.

As long as the biweekly never ends up on the same weekend as Hidden Power I'm good with it.
And cody pls dont leaverino.
Hope you can make it man. And as for the music, I don't know. I joked about the Marvel character select music, I think I also said something about using the Hotline Miami stage select music for character selection... Also, I want to include this song somewhere when I get my music pack done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ5JpHH1ovI

Sup guys sadly I can't stay at the tourney cuz the Man says I have to work... The least I can do is bring a set up tho.
shoutouts for the support man (as usual), sorry you won't be able to stay

Yoooo man this setup looks sick...pretty new to the Boards, so I'm not well known at all. I know a few people, myself included, who would be interested in bi weeklies and stuff. How long are y'all thinking about keeping this up? @ imrai imrai
As far as long term? Until I can't hold a controller anymore

Last edited:

OrangeEnvelope

Smash Apprentice
Heck yeah dude, new players are more than welcome, hell; invite people who have never even played before and we'll teach them everything we know. I know Tyler will run a bracket or play friendlies any day that someone wants to play lol

imrai

Smash Apprentice
http://strawpoll.me/2233853

I'm updating the OP with this as well, but everyone who can please vote on this poll and give me any other feedback or requirements you'd have for the event before wanting to attend. This will help me out a ton!

dx_Fang

Smash Rookie
Maybe I'm wrong, but biweeklies is just too often, as in it's not likely everyone will show up for every other week (especially with the long distances in Alabama). It could be that more people are that dedicated than I'm led to believe.

If they're spaced out enough, I think, then it's more likely that everyone will go every time.

Also, I really want to know if Joel, jan, or anyone else from b'ham is going. Splitting gas yo
I see your point and I don't disagree. I feel like monthlies are spread TOO far apart. I really don't want to travel to Mobile just to go to Hidden Power every month... but I would like some more active consistency in events to spread the word. While monthlies do force people to plan ahead to make it to an event, I've met my fair share of people who couldn't go to events just because they HAD to work. This would give them more options if necessary. I would go to weeklies every Saturday if we had them.

Also, I live in Hoover so we can split da gas if possible.

Last edited:

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
yooooooo, this is relax nice job man @ imrai imrai
hey relax, i see you know your stuff about pikachu and zero suit. I recently played a friend who picked up ZSS and I couldn't not get combo'd/pillared by her up/side special moves and grabs and such. is there any DI'ing out of that shiz at all?

imrai

Smash Apprentice
The way I look at it, people who only want monthlies should consider that bi-weeklies leave them the option of only going once a month. Having less frequent tournaments does not grow the scene by increasing turnout at one event a month. Having more frequent tournaments gives us the chance to rope more people in, have regular practice for bigger events, and give people with less open availability more options for attendance. Bigger events will be much more feasible with more recurring events, because recurring events keep the scene alive. Some of the other TOs I've reached out to already have plans in the works for some bigger stuff, but there is much to be done before that's feasible.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is this. I'm pretty sure the more I think about it, it's going to be bi-weekly. If you only want to go once a month, only go once a month. But I encourage everyone to make it out as frequently as possible to support the scene we so desperately need in Central AL. People from north/south AL, I know things are slightly different for you guys because there are more events in your area. This may cause scheduling conflicts initially while we get all the glitches worked out of the scene statewide, but I am more than willing to be flexible and work with other TOs. The fact is, central AL's scene is hurting bad, to the point of being nonexistant other than some locals that are in more eastern or western parts of the state (by a pretty good margin). There are pretty much only regular events in north or south Alabama. As such, I'm filling that void the only way I know how: running events myself. Everything won't be perfect, and unfortunately I can't make everyone happy, but what I can do is provide as many opportunities as possible for Alabama Smashers to get together and do what we do best.

hey relax, i see you know your stuff about pikachu and zero suit. I recently played a friend who picked up ZSS and I couldn't not get combo'd/pillared by her up/side special moves and grabs and such. is there any DI'ing out of that shiz at all?
Tech the up B when you hit the platform, DI past her when she Side Bs you or into the ground and tech it. Her grab game is dangerous when you let her set it up, but it's incredibly punishable when you don't. She can dash cancel her neutral B so that she can follow the projectile and if you shield it, she will grab you during shield stun. Avoid it instead. Her up air and down air require more precise DI and are much more situational to disrupt. Her upsmash can very easily be smash DI'd as it has approximately five million frames of hitlag lol. Just don't SDI to the center, you will regret it. Also, her down b to dive kick is super dangerous and comes out fast so watch out for it during aerial OR ground approaches. She is a tech chase fiend. Play safe, punish her mistakes, and don't get caught off the ledge or stand still too long for grabs.

Last edited:

Urban Menace

Smash Journeyman
Tech the up B when you hit the platform, DI past her when she Side Bs you or into the ground and tech it. Her grab game is dangerous when you let her set it up, but it's incredibly punishable when you don't. She can dash cancel her neutral B so that she can follow the projectile and if you shield it, she will grab you during shield stun. Avoid it instead. Her up air and down air require more precise DI and are much more situational to disrupt. Her upsmash can very easily be smash DI'd as it has approximately five million frames of hitlag lol. Just don't SDI to the center, you will regret it. Also, her down b to dive kick is super dangerous and comes out fast so watch out for it during aerial OR ground approaches. She is a tech chase fiend. Play safe, punish her mistakes, and don't get caught off the ledge or stand still too long for grabs.
I've taught you well my friend @ imrai imrai looooool, the only other thing i can really say is learn to crouch cancel at low percents. you can tech her downsmash at the ledge and you can sdi' it some too. @ herbmaster% herbmaster%

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
The thing about regular tournaments is that suddenly ever other Saturday you are busy. That's why most weeklies end up on weekdays because then you don't have to worry about it because most people don't make big plans for Monday nights or w/e. With this setup you'll either have to regularly cancel your tournaments or just skip out on major events.

That being said, it could work out if want to play it out like just a regularly scheduled smashfest. And keep it low key.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
I can see why people choose her, thought. The "plasma fly swatter" range is superb and is synergetic with the grab game, the projectile is much like wolfs where you can dash cancel and follow it, you can stun forever with d-smash, you've got Marth's n-air and a f-smash that covers her behind well, a few tilts that bring the name "Shrek" to mind, and is topped off with a tether recovery. Like the space animals, it makes me mad having to playing them, but her tricks are so dominant/apparent that you can always count on seeing them in certain situations, which i like.

imrai

Smash Apprentice
The thing about regular tournaments is that suddenly ever other Saturday you are busy. That's why most weeklies end up on weekdays because then you don't have to worry about it because most people don't make big plans for Monday nights or w/e. With this setup you'll either have to regularly cancel your tournaments or just skip out on major events.

That being said, it could work out if want to play it out like just a regularly scheduled smashfest. And keep it low key.
you have a point. I have the thread changed to reflect that it is monthly already. When I find another person in the area willing to help me TO, we can discuss biweeklies. Until then monthly seems like the best option. The missing major events part is a big deal. I do travel a ton. But I can deal with one weekend a month easily.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Since this is looking to be a good turnout, I'm gonna recommend a relocation if I can for sure get confirmation on a venue today.

Short notice, but it'll favor us.

Last edited:

OrangeEnvelope

Smash Apprentice
Since this is looking to be a good turnout, I'm gonna recommend a relocation if I can for sure get confirmation on a venue today.

Short notice, but it'll favor us.
if you can get us a confirmed venue, then it's no problem. really appreciate that man

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Also, I live in Hoover so we can split da gas if possible.
Sounds good. The more ways we split the merrier, though! Anyone else?

Also, I see the point about getting as many people into the community as possible and I agree. How about you hold the biweekly tournaments, but occasionally advertise one of them as "bigger" and schedule it further ahead. I think that would solve every issue here. Any opinions?

Top Bottom