• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Aug 24, 2014] NOW WITH MELEE! Project Mindgames (And One-stock Brawl) (LaSalle, Illinois)

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777

(Thanks to HypaSonic for the awesome logo)

Welcome back to Mind Games Hobby!
We'll be hosting Project M with a One-stock Brawl side-event on August 24th. (Wait, what? Brawl? Really?)

Set-ups would be great (and essential if you want this to be done with in a reasonable amount of time). We have a decent amount of CRTs, but are lacking in the console and games departments. The more you bring, the faster we can do things!
Again, I wish we could offer incentive to bringing set-ups, but alas, the venue is already being nice enough by letting us host this as cheaply as we are. Pleeeeeease bring set-ups.

Schedule:
Shop and Registration open: 3:30 p.m.
Melee Singles Begins: 4:00
Melee Doubles Begins: 5:00
Project M Begins: 6:30
Project M Doubles: 7:30
1-stock Brawl: TBD (Likely either before Melee or after P:M depending on when people show up)

Fees:
Venue: $5
Melee and P:M Singles: $5 (this is subject to change, depending on turn-out and popular demand. If enough people want it, we'll do $10)
Melee and P:M Doubles: $10 per team
One-stock Brawl: $5

Payout:
P:M and Melee Singles and Doubles: To be determined depending on number of entrants.
Brawl: Winner take all!

Project M Ruleset:

General Rules
  • Game Settings: 4 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit, Best of 3 Games. Finals are Best of 5.
  • Items are disabled.
  • Input buffer is disabled
  • All chain grabs and infinites are legal
  • Pause option is disabled in the game menu. If left on, accidental pausing mid match forfeits a stock.
  • You may not choose the last stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
  • If time runs outs, the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage. If percentage is tied, a 1 stock, 3 minute match is played.
  • Playing as Giga Bowser is banned. (I know, right?)

Doubles Rules
  • Team Attack enabled
  • Sharing stocks is allowed

Stage List
    We will be going with Stagelist 2

Neutral Stages
    • Final Destination
    • Battlefield
    • Smashville
    • Pokemon Stadium 2
    • Dreamland (64)
    • Fountain of Dreams
    • Yoshi’s Story (Melee) [Singles Only]
    • Distant Planet [Doubles Only]

Counter-Pick Stages
    • Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
    • Lylat Cruise
    • Wario Ware
    • Green Hill Zone
    • Skyworld

Match Procedure
    • Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.
    • Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or second Stage Strike
    • Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), the first player removes two(2) and the second player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
    • The players play the first match of the set
    • Winning player of the preceding match bans three stages from the full list of stages, both Neutral and Counter-Pick. Does not apply to Best of 5 sets.
    • The Losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step, nor a stage they've already won on during this set, unless agreed.
    • The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
    • The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
    • The losing player of the preceding match may change their controller port.
    • The next match is played
    • Repeat Steps 5 through 10 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.
Custom set-ups are fine, as long as the mods are unintrusive and do not change character models or movesets. Customized menu textures and music are encouraged. They're pretty cool, brah.

Melee Ruleset

General Rules

• Game Settings: 4 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit
  • Items are disabled.
  • Stalling with moves such as Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned
  • Glitches such as Ice Climbers’s Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo’s Soul Stunner are banned.
  • Pause option is disabled in the game menu. If left on, accidental pausing mid match forfeits a stock.
  • You may not choose any stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
  • A tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage. If percentage is tied, the match is fully replayed.
  • Playing as Master Hand is banned

Doubles Rules
  • Friendly Fire enabled
  • Life stealing stocks from a teammate is allowed

Stage List
    Neutral Stages
    • Final Destination
    • Battlefield
    • Yoshi’s Story
    • Dream Land
    • Fountain of Dreams [Singles Only]
    • Pokemon Stadium [Doubles Only]

Counter-Pick Stages
    • Pokemon Stadium [Singles Only]
    • Kongo Jungle 64 [Doubles Only]

Match Procedure
    • Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.
    • Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or first Stage Strike
    • Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), and the first player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
    • Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage from the full list of stages, both Neutral and Counter-Pick. Does not apply to Best of 5 sets.
    • The Losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step, nor a stage they've already won on during this set, unless agreed.
    • Repeat Steps 5 through 10 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

One-stock Brawl Ruleset:
We will be using a modified version of the Smashboards ruleset found here

General Rules
  • Game Settings: 1 Stocks, 3 Minute Time Limit, Best of 5 Games. Finals are Best of 7.
  • Items are disabled.
  • Meta Knight’s infinite dimensional cape tactic is banned.
  • All other chain grabs and infinites are legal.
  • There is a 20 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player is over the Ledge Grab Limit, they automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  • The act of stalling is banned and constitutes intentionally making the game unplayable. Examples include becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterrupted moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Pause option is disabled in the game menu. If left on, accidental pausing mid match in a non-neutral position results in the offending player being placed in a grab.
  • You may not choose the last stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
  • If time runs outs and ledge grabs do not determine a winner, the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage.
  • If a match is ended via suicide move, the initiator of the move wins. Yes, even if the game says you won.
  • Coaching is not allowed during a match.

Stage List

Neutral Stages
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville

Counter-Pick Stages
  • Battleship Halberd
  • Pokemon Stadium 1
  • Isle Delfino
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Match Procedure
  • Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or first Stage Strike
  • Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), and the first player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
  • Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage from the full list of stages, both Neutral and Counter-Pick. This ban is only chosen one and lasts for the entire set.

Custom set-ups are the same as P:M. Show off your taste in music, don't screw with the character models and PSAs or stages.

Last edited:

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Looks like fun. Might be able to if I have to work the day before and miss EXP13.

Last edited:

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
How many people are expected to show do you think?
Not sure exactly how many people we're gonna have, but bringing friends is always a plus. You know, unless you wanna come for the free win, which is cool, too.

why are these always on Sunday?
Easiest day for the shop that we host these at. They also do Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic and host weeklies for them on Saturdays.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Faceroll holds victory above all else.

How's attendance looking for this?

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
Faceroll holds victory above all else.

How's attendance looking for this?
Honestly, not sure. Just depends on how many people decide to get down here. We had about 11-ish people last time. Bringing people with you would be awesome, but I couldn't give you an exact number.

MeBoy

Smash Rookie
Hey if any of you are missing a black controller, I have it. Joey or Kevin must've grabbed it thinking it was ours but I forgot to tell them I didn't bring ours.

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
Hey if any of you are missing a black controller, I have it. Joey or Kevin must've grabbed it thinking it was ours but I forgot to tell them I didn't bring ours.
Ah-ha! So you're the criminal who took it!
But really, I was wondering what happened to my extra controller. Glad to know it didn't up and vanish on me.
As for getting it back, though...next EXPosure is probably a ways away... Maybe you guys would be interested in coming down here this coming Sunday for our weekly Smash thing we do? We pretty much just set up consoles and play friendlies from 3:30 onwards. The shop lets us do this for free, too, so it's pretty great. Returning a controller would be a cool excuse to come down and play some Smash, don't you think? If not, you got any ideas of an easy and/or quick way to return it?

MeBoy

Smash Rookie
Ah-ha! So you're the criminal who took it!
But really, I was wondering what happened to my extra controller. Glad to know it didn't up and vanish on me.
As for getting it back, though...next EXPosure is probably a ways away... Maybe you guys would be interested in coming down here this coming Sunday for our weekly Smash thing we do? We pretty much just set up consoles and play friendlies from 3:30 onwards. The shop lets us do this for free, too, so it's pretty great. Returning a controller would be a cool excuse to come down and play some Smash, don't you think? If not, you got any ideas of an easy and/or quick way to return it?
Color me purple. I'll be at the tourney in Lisle this weekend so I dunno if I'll be able to come down there Sunday. Maybe the week after? If not then I'll keep you updated on fb whenever I plan on attending a tourney so I can get it to you.

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
Color me purple. I'll be at the tourney in Lisle this weekend so I dunno if I'll be able to come down there Sunday. Maybe the week after? If not then I'll keep you updated on fb whenever I plan on attending a tourney so I can get it to you.
Alright, cool. Let me know when you know for sure if you'll be there this weekend, and if not, the following week should be fine. And if you can't make it til NEXT next week, I promise to not color you purple.

Next exposure is planned for the 27th of September just so you guys know :)
Thanks, Faceroll.

Not 100% sure if I'll be at that EXP, considering where the date falls, but I will definitely try to make it.

MeBoy

Smash Rookie
Alright, cool. Let me know when you know for sure if you'll be there this weekend, and if not, the following week should be fine. And if you can't make it til NEXT next week, I promise to not color you purple.
Yeah the tournament is on Sunday so I won't be able to. I'll keep you updated though.

Last edited:

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
Yeah the tournament is on Sunday so I won't be able to. I'll keep you updated though.
Ah, well I just found out that I'm gonna be out of town this weekend for Labor Day, anyhow, so that's fine. Think we can count on you next week, though?

I definitely won't be there (rip) but just letting you know :)
Sadfaice. RIP in piece.

MeBoy

Smash Rookie
Ah, well I just found out that I'm gonna be out of town this weekend for Labor Day, anyhow, so that's fine. Think we can count on you next week, though?
If I don't have anything going on then most likely. I'd like to come back with Kev and Joey again but I don't know if they'll be willing to make the drive unless we get a bit more people ya know? Also with school starting I'm having to be more cautious about gas. I'll get it to ya one way or another though :p

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
If I don't have anything going on then most likely. I'd like to come back with Kev and Joey again but I don't know if they'll be willing to make the drive unless we get a bit more people ya know? Also with school starting I'm having to be more cautious about gas. I'll get it to ya one way or another though :p
If you could bring more people, that'd be awesome. We should have at least one, maybe two or three other people here, as well, so it'd be cool to get a bunch of different matches in. For sure to be there is my buddy that plays Sheik. He's pretty brutal. Takes 90% of our matches when he plays her, I swear.
But we'll see how it goes. If you can't make it out here, there's also E2C coming up in September that I plan on going to for sure.

Edit x2 combo: I'm dumb again and didn't realize that E2C is that weekend on Sunday, so I'll be at that. Here's the link for the event on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/639276459501721/

Last edited:
Top Bottom