• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Aug 23, 2014] I Got 64 Problems But A Flaoc Ain't 4: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (Toronto, ON)

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
~~pidgezero_one and [OSAP] Astro present:~~
I Got 64 Problems But A Flaoc Ain't One
#4: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Featuring pidgezero_one's Completely Unreadable Technicolor Thread Layouts

(Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/893332440680379/)

WELL THEN... That was a quick month, wasn't it? Flaoc 4 will be here before we know it! And the stakes are higher than ever this time - Flaoc 4 will be the last tournament this season before the ONTARIO SMASH 64 POWER RANKINGS are decided. Will you make the cut for the distinguishment of Top 10 in the province? Better show up on August 23 to find out - the rankings are looking to be a toss-up right now!

I have no idea why I made Lenny the subtitle for this. I blame Mr. Bushido.

Information
Who: You!
What: SMASH 64!
Where: A&C World, 702A Spadina Ave (west side of Spadina, south of Bloor St)
http://acgamesonline.com/world/
When: Saturday August 23, 2014 12:00 PM - 10:00 PM

Why: Because you love this game, and maybe because you want to be Top 10
How: by giving us your money again

Venue fee: $5
Smash 64 Singles: $5 (60-30-10 payout)
Smash 64 Doubles: $5 per person ($10 per team) (60-30-10 payout)
Side Event (if there is one): $2 per person (Winner Takes All)

* Explanation: The Venue Fee is the price we collectively pay to rent A&C's space, you give this money to the A&C employees when you walk in. The singles/doubles fee is what goes into the pot for the tournament winners, you give this money to me when I open registration.

Schedule (approximate)
12:00 PM - 1:30 PM Registration + Friendlies (DO NOT BE LATE!)
2:00 PM Doubles begins
4:00 PM Singles begins
6:00 PM If there are pools, this is when pro bracket and amateur bracket will begin.

This schedule WILL NOT RUN ON TIME if nobody brings cartridges! Please bring cartridges. Always assume we are short on setups!!!

We will run pools and amateurs bracket if there are enough entrants to singles. If you don't make it out of pools, or if you have lost a match in bracket, do not leave! Everyone in a pool will be put into a bracket no matter how well they did. Brackets are double elimination, which means you're still in until you lose two sets. We want you to get the most matches possible out of your 10 dollars.

Make sure to bring your friends! The more people we get, the more everyone gets to play!

Setup Info
We will have:
  • N64 setups (NTSC console + cart)
  • at least one USB-to-N64 adapter for USB-powered controllers (one of my adapters is out of commission. Will update this if I get it fixed). This adapter lets you use any controller you like on a N64 console.
    • two Raphnet Gamecube-to-USB adapters (works laglessly with the USB-to-N64 device)
    • two Raphnet Classic-Controller-to-USB adapters (works laglessly with the USB-to-N64 device)
  • possibly a few gamesharks?
Netplay keyboard warriors and VC recruits are encouraged to come out! No matter how you like to play, we got you covered.

Please bring cartridges. CRT TVs and N64s are provided by the venue (is that awesome or what, am i right?). If we need more consoles we will let you know.

Gameplay Rules
Basic rules:
  • Starter: Dream Land
  • Counterpicks: Kongo Jungle, Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle
  • 5 stock
  • No Items
  • Double Elimination, Best of 3 (WF, LF, and GF all Best of 5)
  • Gentleman's Rule is in effect: Any other stage may be used if both players agree to it.
    • I will see about talking to A&C ahead of time about providing gamesharks. Gameshark stages will not be tournament standard, but any two players who agree to play on gameshark stages will be allowed to.
  • Loser picks next stage
  • If a player pauses mid-match, the opponent has the right to force the pauser to forfeit a stock or restart the match with a one-stock difference.
  • Players may request that Dark DK, Dark Samus, and Dark Captain Falcon not be used on Kongo Jungle, but must do so before any damage is dealt that game.
  • Two players who require the USB adapters for their controller may NOT team with each other in doubles, unless they are the only USB users in the bracket. This is because there are only two adapters in total, and if 3 USB users end up needing to be in the same match, we'd be screwed.
    • It would cost me $500 to build 2 more adapters to make this rule obsolete... i am accepting donations ;)
    • If my second adapter is not yet working at this tournament, and two adapter users must face each other in bracket, one of the two players must be prepared to use a N64 controller.
Side Event - Not sure if there will be one yet. Flaoc 3 didn't have one and actually finished on time...

Other Rules

• Players should take no longer than 10 minutes to report to their match when announced. If you leave the venue during bracket time you risk being DQed, and we really don't want to do that! No seriously guys, tell me if you're leaving so I know what to do with pools/dubs/stream/etc, and also if you are leaving for the day please let me know so we're not waiting pointlessly. This makes me mad and you don't want to madden the TO
  • If you like, feel free to leave us your mobile number and I will text you if you're up for a set and we cannot find you.
  • IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE LATE TO REGISTRATION, PLEASE TEXT ME AT 416 520 0548 or message me (STEF) on Facebook. I don't mind waiting on a few people if they let me know ahead of time.
  • Match priority: 64 > Side event > MMs = Friendlies
  • Please try to bring your own controllers as extras are not guaranteed. If you use a controller other than a N64 controller, gamecube controller, classic controller, or keyboard, you are responsible for bringing any needed devices to make your controller compatible with USB.
  • No alcohol in the venue please! Keep it in your bag.
  • Please clean up after yourselves and don't leave garbage everywhere. I don't want to have to increase the venue fee over this.
  • Newcomers: Feel free to ask me or Astro any questions you may have about anything related to the tournament if there's something you're not clear about (so long as it's not during one of our matches). We're nice I promise. (Even if Astro is a freaking Pikachu player.)

Stream Info

We will have one stream setup which will be broadcast to http://www.twitch.tv/acgamesonline
Smash 64 is the main event
and will be the focus of the stream. Side events will be streamed only if there are matches remaining and 64 Grand Finals is over.

Anyone is welcome to commentate. Just keep the content PG-13 (i'm looking at you Unreal and YBOMBB). I encourage anyone with an interest in commentating to try it out!

Food

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zvawJDL-aDv8.kR_UjC-odr-0

Not an exhaustive map. Most of the food in the area is located on the strip of Bloor St between Spadina and Bathurst, and will be up to a 10 minute walk each way depending on how far you want to go.

This map has addresses so you can avoid awkward street crossings by remembering this simple rule: odd numbers are on the east or south side of the street, even numbers are on the north or west side of the street. (this is true for approx 95% of streets in toronto)

Please use discretion when you go to get food, and ask me beforehand how much time I think you likely have. It's recommended to grab your food and bring it back rather than eating at the place.

---------

DO YOU LOVE SMASH BROS? OF COURSE YOU DO! Bookmark http://ontario-smash.com to keep up with a province-wide Smash tournament schedule and the latest in community news!

---------

Last edited:

Studstill

Smash Ace
Didn`t the last one just finish, like, hours ago?
Awesome scene in Toronto, we need to step up our game!

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Didn`t the last one just finish, like, hours ago?
Awesome scene in Toronto, we need to step up our game!
IT did, but i've had this date booked for a long time in advance.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Hi everyone.

It has been brought to my attention that a $10 singles fee has discouraged some newer players from coming out or returning. As I hope most of you know by now, I try very hard to make fair decisions and accommodate as many players as possible at my tournaments. After consulting with some of our higher level players and out-of-province attendees, a decision has been made to decrease the pot back to $5 like it was at Flaoc 1.

Keep in mind that the TOs do not make any money off the venue fee OR the pot entry fee, so the only people who are losing from this are our top players, who for the most part support our scene's expansion even at the cost of their own prospective financial gain.

Hopefully this will make a difference to some of our players who don't have as much money to spend on hobbies, and we will be seeing even bigger and better turnouts at future Flaoc events.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Friendly reminder : PLEASE BRING CARTRIDGES!!! i will be messagin attendees within the next week or so with further remindners

megel

Smash Apprentice
i like coming to flaoc 4 now i make my debut in singles i'm sick of tired bring the sucky partner no offence they did very well i'm opinion

megel

Smash Apprentice
yo yo yo i'm just playing okay moneybags? we will do better let's do a lot of training okay? you think i would abandon you dude relax listen in 3 weeks at flaoc 5 moneybags we will win the matches no matter what!

Last edited:

megel

Smash Apprentice
yo moneybags i why don't you training at home before flaoc 5 don't worry training won'
t stop you read your enemy's movement just i did

megel

Smash Apprentice
yo moneybags it's megel again i wonder if you done smash in friendlies? good for you kid keep it up listen i'm sorry that i would tried to ditch you for partnership selection anyways i gotta go i see you in 2 weeks at flaoc 5

Top Bottom