• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic South [Dec 5, 2014] Nintendude and DC ESports Presents: Smash @ Clarendon - A DC... (Arlington, VA)

Nintendude

Smash Hero

Next Event: TBD, 2015

Arlington, VA

Introduction:
I'm proud to announce a new tournament series in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. Hard Times Clarendon has opened their doors to evening Smash happy hour events during the week. This will occur every other Friday evening.

[collapse="Past Results"]
12/19/14 (93 entrants)
1. VGBC | Redd
2. MilkMan
3. Wenbobular
4. VGz | Smash G0D
5. VGz | Junebug
5. lloD
7. CTL
7. UMCP | emoDinosaur

12/5/14 (Arcadian; 141 entrants)
1. UMCP | SG
2. UMCP | Ace of Flakes
3. Fortune
4. Shinku
5. UMCP | Jimmy
5. BigWenz
7. Cava
7. UMCP | emoDinosaur

11/21/14 (55 entrants)
1. DoH
2. MOR | ChuDat
3. Vist
4. Aglet
5. SMCM | Tipper
5. Fortune
7. UMBC | PhatCat
7. UMCP | tdude51

10/24/14 (50 entrants)
1. DoH
2. Apex | Nintendude
3. Crs.Chillin
4. Wishh
5. Laijin
5. tdude51
7. Cava
7. BigWenz

10/10/14 (93 entrants)
1. VGBC | Redd
2. DoH
3. Aglet
4. MilkMan
5. Wife
5. Laijin
7. Sooji
7. Apex | Nintendude

8/29/14 (88 entrants)
1. Crs.Chillin
2. VGBC | Redd
3. Milkman
4. Apex | Nintendude
5. Azen Zagenite
5. DP
7. Bones
7. MOR | ChuDat

8/15/14 (92 entrants)
1. DP
2. Wenbo
3. Vist
4. Apex | Nintendude
5. Bones0
5. Plank
7. DoH
7. ThumbsWayUp

8/1/14 (77 entrants)
1. MOR | ChuDat
2. Milkman
3. DoH
4. Crs.Chillin
5. lloD
5. Mahone
7. Jimmy
7. Aglet

7/18/14 (88 entrants)
1. Crs.Chillin
2. DoH
3. DP
4. lloD
5. Apex | Nintendude
5. Smash G0D
7. ChivalRuse
7. Junebug

7/3/14 (67 entrants)
1. Crs.Chillin
2. DoH
3. Mahone
4. DP
5. SypherPhoenix
5. lloD
7. Smash G0D
7. Wenbobular

6/19/14 (60 entrants)
1. Wenbobular
2. Smash G0D
3. Fatboy69 (Kaffei)
4. SypherPhoenix
5. lloD
6. Cava

6/6/14 (64 entrants)
1. MOR | ChuDat
2. Crs.Chillin
3. DoH
4. Smash G0D
5. Wenbobular
6. Serbian Ice

5/23/14 (72 entrants)
1. ChuDat
2. DoH
3. Crs.Chillin
4. DP
5. Wenbobular
5. Vist
7. Lock
7. Laijin

4/25/14 (46 entrants)
1. ChuDat
2. DoH
3. Husband
4. Smash G0D
5. Zeron
5. Lock
[/collapse]
[collapse="Pictures"]
http://imgur.com/a/jzNal#0
[/collapse]
[collapse="Google Maps View"]

[/collapse]

Transportation:
Hard Times is located literally across the street from Clarendon Metro Station on the orange line. For those of you driving in from Fairfax County, you can park at one of the orange line stations and take the metro in, or you can try to find street parking around the venue. If you can't find parking there are plenty of parking garages within a couple blocks of the venue. We recommend the garage at 3101 Wilson Boulevard which costs $4 to park for the evening.
[collapse="Maps"]

[/collapse]
Games:
Melee will be the featured game at this event, but other games (including non-Smash games) are certainly welcome. If you'd like to play another game here just bring a setup for it and you're good to go.

Happy Hour:
$5 GIANT Mugs all night (Thursdays)
Beat The Clock Special: Domestic Bottles $1 from 4-7 pm, $1.25 from 7-8 pm, and $1.50 from 8-9 pm (Fridays)
Happy Hour specials until 8 pm
NO UNDERAGE DRINKING. People under 21 are allowed in the venue but there will be very strict and harsh punishments for any participants who break this rule, including expulsion from the event and all future events. Do not risk us losing this great venue.

Schedule:
6:30 pm - Event begins (note: Hard Times is open prior to this, but they are officially giving us space starting at 7 pm. Feel free to stop by early for food and/or a drink!)
7:30 pm - Sign-ups for Melee Singles ends. Tournament begins.
11:30 pm - Tournament ends.
~1:30 am - Venue closes. People are welcome to stay and play until closing.

There will be at least one setup available for casual play during the whole duration of the event.

Setups:
DC eSports is providing 4 full setups. We understand that this location may not be very convenient to bring setups to, but we would greatly appreciate any effort whatsoever to bring TVs and Gamecubes.

Controller Rentals:
While we strongly encourage BYOC, we will be renting official Nintendo brand controllers (while supplies last) to those of you who do not bring one. You must bring an ID to rent a controller. This is in anticipation of many random people stopping by due to the busy downtown location of Hard Times Clarendon. We are hoping to see many new faces stop by for some Smash.

Prices:
Venue fee - NONE. NO VENUE FEE!
Controller Rental - $3 all evening
Melee Singles - $5
We accept credit card for all transactions (add 3% fee).

Melee Ruleset:
Apex 2014 Rules
[collapse="Additional Rules"]

• Player’s Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
  • Neutral Spawn Points: Players may elect to use neutral spawn points to decide controller ports for the first match in case of any disputes.
  • Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a staff member or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.
  • Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
  • Any attempt at intentionally rigging the bracket, splitting, etc. throughout the duration of any event will not only result in disqualification from your match, but also forfeiture of any winnings you may have earned, and a one tournament suspension.
[/collapse]

Prizes:
In lieu of a venue fee, 20% of the pot will be going to DC eSports. The remaining money will be allocated to the winners as follows:
[collapse="Payout Structure"]
≤ 5 Entrants (round robin)
1st: 100%
2nd: Money back

≤ 12 Entrants
1st: 60%
2nd: 40%
3rd: Money back

≤ 32 Entrants
1st: 50%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%

≤ 64 Entrants
1st: 45%
2nd: 20%
5th: 5% each

> 64 Entrants
1st: 40%
2nd: 20%
5th: 5% each
7th: 2.5% each
[/collapse]

Questions?
We can answer any questions here or you can email clarendonsmash@gmail.com.​

Last edited:

DCeSportsLANs

Smash Apprentice
If you need a ride to/from Clarendon, Uber hooked us up with a promo code for new customers! Use the promo code "DCeSports" when signing up, and you will receive $20 credit to use towards your first ride.

MKev

Smash Apprentice
This is amazing. No venue fee, good food, and its literally across the street from the metro station. What more can I ask for?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Updated with some venue pictures! Please RSVP both here and on facebook if you're coming so we can get a good head count.

Last edited:

dkuo

Smash Lord
If you need a ride to/from Clarendon, Uber hooked us up with a promo code for new customers! Use the promo code "DCeSports" when signing up, and you will receive $20 credit to use towards your first ride.​
woah. "i have no ride" johns are no longer applicable for this tourney

Dinozords

Smash Rookie
NNID
dinozords
I've been really wanting to hit up Smash @ Xanadu but it's just a little to far for me to drive every week. So i'm really excited to see a bi weekly near me! I can't wait to go.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
I won't be able to attend this specific event, but I'm ecstatic about the possibility of a metro accessible tournament. Throw any more of these this summer, and I'll be there with friends. :D

Btw, is there any chance for a project m tournament being added at some point? If not, would anyone attending this be interested in PM friendlies?

Last edited:

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Glad to see so many people are excited about this event, even if they aren't able to make the first one.

I want to remind you guys that DC ESports can only provide 4 full setups for this event. We'd REALLY appreciate it if anyone else (particularly those driving in), can provide setups, including TVs and Gamecubes. This is really important for our event to run smoothly and for you guys to get as much playing time as possible. Don't forget you are welcome to bring any other games as well, including Project M, Brawl, Smash 64, or a non-Smash game.

If you're bringing a setup please let us know here or on facebook!

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
My friends have crts that are small enough to be transported over metro. Though I can't speak for them, they'd probably be fine with bringing them along once we start attending.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Btw, is there any chance for a project m tournament being added at some point? If not, would anyone attending this be interested in PM friendlies?
There are currently no plans of having Project M as an official event, but you are welcome to run a PM tournament on the side if you coordinate with the attendees to provide the equipment.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
We ended up canceling the planned 2nd event for May 9 due to a scheduling conflict. Smash @ Clarendon will resume on May 23. It's far away from now but make sure to mark your calendars!

Nintendude

Smash Hero
2 days away! We already have around 30 pre-regs. I also want to let you all know we'll be accepting payment by credit card for this event. This includes controller rentals and tournament entry fee - anything can be paid via credit card. We'll add 3% to the charge just to cover Square's fee.

Adam Perez

Smash Rookie
Will you guys be adding any official brawl tournaments any time soon?

Last edited:

DCeSportsLANs

Smash Apprentice
Yes, we will be holding an event tonight at 7PM, hope to see you there!

As far as Brawl, we are not planning on running tournaments for any other games at this time. Last event had 72 entrants, which was huge for a bi-weekly in this area. Hopefully that kind of turnout becomes regular. With that being said, if you would like to come hang out and play Brawl, please feel free to bring your own setup for it! There is a little bit of room available for setups of other games. I know Project M has been played extensively on a setup or two in our previous events, and some 64 players come out to play and chill, too.

campbell000

Smash Rookie
Can a nobody like me show up? This would be my first kind of smash tournament. This one is actually close to me, so it looks awesome.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
There are already enough PM events in the area, and I feel more qualified to run a Melee event than a PM event.
Sorry to ask, but are there any near by Clarendon? Been wanting to compete in some Project M events, but don't know where any are other than Xanadu. If I could get a ride to Xanadu and back that'd be great, but I don't know anyone who'd do me that solid.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Sorry to ask, but are there any near by Clarendon? Been wanting to compete in some Project M events, but don't know where any are other than Xanadu. If I could get a ride to Xanadu and back that'd be great, but I don't know anyone who'd do me that solid.
Ask for a ride in this Facebook group (or the MD/VA P:M one, but idk the link): https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmashAtXanadu/

Top Bottom