• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack Of The Clones: A Primer On Clones And Smash

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Clone characters have been a part of fighting games since the original Street Fighter games with Ryu and Ken, but what exactly are they? While there is no standard definition for a clone, most define a clone in a fighting game as a character with a moveset and physics that are considerably similar to another character. Characters like Marth and Roy or Fox and Falco in Melee would qualify to most as a clone. For characters that are very similar but have some notable differences, they are subbed as semi-clones. Ness and Lucas in Brawl share somewhat similar specials but they interact differently and they do not share many normal moves so to most they are semi-clone

Many characters share similar moves but are not clones as well, in Smash 64 Captain Falcon and Samus share neutral aerials, down smashes, floor attacks, forward tilts, up tilts, and dash attacks, but have their own unique physics and moves as well to a point where they are not considered to be semi-clones.

Smash even has it's own unique term for the way clones change between releases of sequels called "Luigification" referring to how Luigi started as a full clone of Mario in Smash 64 but has been decloned in each additional installment. Several clones have been "Luigified" over the franchise as well like Ganondorf and Falco.

Want to know more about the clones in Smash 4? YouTuber Smash and Grab has released a video to explain how the clones work, the difference between clones and palette swaps, and more. The video has a similar style to Smash and Grab's previous Robin Guide which is fun and unique, so check it out!

Hopefully all of this will help create a better understanding of clones especially within the Smash series. With Lucas on the way as DLC for Smash 4 it will be interesting to see if any other clones or semi-clones find their way into Smash in the future.

SmashCapps found it interesting studying clone characters in Smash for this article and is interested to hear what people think of clons. Follow him on Twitter to discuss clone characters and anything else related to Smash!

Torterra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Serranokids
3DS FC
4356-2568-8654
first? yes! Nice article though

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
EDIT: Don't bother arguing with me, because some of this stuff has already been refuted by a few others.

When it comes to clones and semi-clones, I ignore taunts, victories, and attributes of attacks. Marth has a tipper, Lucina doesn't, but both play exactly the same in terms of comprehensive movesets. Those are clones. Here are semi-clones:

Ness/Lucas
Pummel
uair
f-smash
d-throw
PK Flash/Freeze
PK Thunder
PK Fire
PSI Magnet

Fox/Wolf
Pummel
bair
u-smash
Blaster
Fire Fox/Fire Wolf
Fox Illusion/Wolf Flash
Reflector

Everything else about them are different in comparison.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The information was good.

But they made Male Robin a creep and Marth an absolute prick...

What the heck?

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
->article about clones
->no mewtwo, who's actually a real genetic clone
mfw

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Argh why didn't you guys post this yesterday during May the Fourth! Such a perfect opportunity wasted!

Scarf Wynaut

Smash Cadet
I haven't really played Fire Emblem, but is Marth always this much of a sexist nimrod?
No, in fire emblem he's a rly nice guy puts others before himself and so forth...
but hey..
it's lucina he's talking to, I don't blame him
*brb hides in anti-lucina fanboy bomb shelter*

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
This video prove that actually.

Lucina and Dark Pit are the REAL clones in Smash 4.
Even Mario don't fall that category because Dr. Mario can be difference faster than any other clone in Smash 4.

Dr. Mario has even crappy recovery, Slower, more Steroids(HITS REALLY HARD) and even a complete different Down-special attack when Dark Pit and Lucina Take lot more time and love to learn there true mechanic.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Who cares about if they are clones or not they are both limited characters.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm fine with clones and all but if Roy actually turns out to be dlc i really hope they "luigify" his moveset a bit. 3 slightly different Marths would be a just a little odd.

EDIT: That video was hilarious but now i feel bad for Lucina :C.

Last edited:
Hopefully more people see that Roy can and will be Luigified or even better if he returns.

If they just use the lazy excuse of "oh sakurai will just port him no need to support or want him in the game" then they're not helping or even thinking. That's what the fighter ballot and Nintendo's email are for. I'm so sick of hearing third Marth, Roy has so much going for him in FE6, its manga, and his Awakening redesign. One idea I had was a TL/Link shield since he sports the Mercenary class in Awakening, which uses a shield. The Roy support thread has ideas for days on Roy's moveset.

If you're one of those people who say "oh I dislike the idea of roy because he's going to be a 100% clone but he's cool otherwise" mention that Roy's moveset should receive a redesign that truly brings out the strengths of his gameplay fundamentals, source material, and character if he does return. Bowser/Yoshi were low tier over the years so they were completely redesigned, Mewtwo had a decent amount of animation changes and moves being fixed, and many of Pit's changes as a Brawl veteran involved him becoming more faithful to his source material and his newest game. The same happening for Roy isn't unlikely. We have examples against this like Dr. Mario (who is literally Mario in a labcoat, decloning him would make no sense) and Lucas (who was a semi clone to begin with, thanks to the article for helping show that, and he's bound to change even more since not all of Mewtwo's changes were showcased plus Lucas still has a bit to go) so I think people are just having a lazy and pessimistic mindset when it comes to Roy.

Last edited:

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
Lucina was a nice addition for a "clone" fighter. I've always disliked Marth's visual designs since Melee, yet I wanted to utilize his moveset. Lucina was the answer to this crisis.

AniMoons

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ani-Moons
3DS FC
0275-8335-6873
I haven't really played Fire Emblem, but is Marth always this much of a sexist nimrod?
no, that personality was either taken from the awkward zombie comics (if the creators even read them) or to represent most of marth's fanbase. he'd actually be pretty caring and nice to lucy, but SSB marth and FE marth are two entirely different people.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Did you know Wario was intended for Melee, but was ultimately scrapped because Sakurai, thinking Wario could be in the game as a slower but more powerful clone of Mario, thought he "deserved better" than clone status and instead added Dr. Mario? Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37915502&postcount=7506

Same with Wolf, who was scrapped for Falco (but it was because Falco was an animal different from what Fox is). Summarized from info from the SmashWiki. http://www.ssbwiki.com

Last edited:

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Honestly, Marth is probably one of the most caring FE protagonist:roll:but SSB Marth has another entirely characterization by the fans. :4robinm: is pretty OOC there, too.
Eh, it's bound to happen in Smash, though. Not everyone knows how the characters actually are and act, unfortunately.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Pretty interesting and amusing video. Not really much to be said.

Clones::4drmario::4lucina::4darkpit:
Semi-clones::4luigi::4ganondorf::4falco::4tlink:

At least that's the way I see it. I wonder how changed up Roy will be?

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
:4tlink: and :4drmario: are the only good clones in my opinion, because they're very interesting and have new creative aspects.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Fox/Wolf
Pummel
bair
u-smash
Blaster/Blaster
Fire Fox/Fire Wolf
Fox Illusion/Wolf Flash
Reflector

Everything else about them are different in comparison.
Fox and Wolf have nothing in common outside their specials, and even that is just theme.

Trigspro789

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trigspro789
3DS FC
3566-2013-0217
I don't consider Ganondorf a clone at all, even in Melee. When I think of a clone, I think of two reasons why: 1. They have a similar moveset 2. They have a connection in there game series. Mario & Dr. Mario? Basically the same guy in the games. Pit & Dark Pit? Dark Pit's a straight up clone in KIU. Marth & Lucina? As stated in Sakurai's post about Lucina from a LONG time back, "Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A." Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're family. But Captain Falcon & Ganondorf? No connection. At all.

HappyBear801

Smash Rookie
NNID
HappyBear801
My take on clones:

As long as their personalities differ from the moveset if the character they copy, I don't mind them. My idea of a perfect roster is a diverse atmosphere in personality. So, that means, I DO NOT like clones that are just another form of the same character with a different slot. Characters of such type are:
•Dr. Mario
•Pichu
•Young Link
•Toon Link
And I suppose Dark Pit to an extent, but techincally he is his own person.

So if characters like that were taken out, I would personally say there would be a perfect roster, despite if characters like Lucina, Roy, and Lucas would still be there. I don't mind them in the slightest.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I don't consider Ganondorf a clone at all, even in Melee. When I think of a clone, I think of two reasons why: 1. They have a similar moveset 2. They have a connection in there game series. Mario & Dr. Mario? Basically the same guy in the games. Pit & Dark Pit? Dark Pit's a straight up clone in KIU. Marth & Lucina? As stated in Sakurai's post about Lucina from a LONG time back, "Her physical ablilites are identical to Marth's--it must be in her D.N.A." Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're family. But Captain Falcon & Ganondorf? No connection. At all.
Actually, that's more of a reason for me to believe that Ganondorf's moveset is still pretty clonish and unoriginal. Even back in Smash 64, Captain Falcon and Samus made sense due to the fact they're both intergalactic bounty hunters and might have similar training within their galactic federations.

When I think of Ganondorf, he's a hefty, medieval-styled warlock with powerful dark magic and very focused (or unfocused when enraged) brute force. So still seeing him share a bit of Falcon's moves still make no sense to me. There has been a lot of newer content and iterations from both Smash Bros and Zelda titles to reference a different move in his kit. The only thing they got right so far is his speed, but a (permanent, not just custom) sword or a few more magic tricks wouldn't hurt his moveset.

Last edited:

Spyro839

Smash Cadet
This video prove that actually.

Lucina and Dark Pit are the REAL clones in Smash 4.
Even Mario don't fall that category because Dr. Mario can be difference faster than any other clone in Smash 4.

Dr. Mario has even crappy recovery, Slower, more Steroids(HITS REALLY HARD) and even a complete different Down-special attack when Dark Pit and Lucina Take lot more time and love to learn there true mechanic.
Nairo knows about that. Which i like

Top Bottom