• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West [Aug 22, 2015] MacD presents: Mayhem - Melee (Pasadena, CA)

MacD

Banned via Administration
Mayhem pre-reg link. getting things going early. some updates, more to follow:

Pre-reg and your venue fee is $10. Bring a full setup and save $5. For partial setups, TVs are $3 and systems are $2. We won't have the vault TV's so we'll need as many as we can get. You will only get the system discount if it is actually used.

fb event: https://www.facebook.com/events/723117257762028/

pre-reg: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1x__IhZ6pOH-167uLwolopoId5gyt8L1UeAMl34DBY40/viewform?usp=send_form

link to view entrants: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EzSoNV8AuunQPqscP_qtDf4R8vxQ0ELO1xvYNM_WD6E/edit?usp=sharing

Best Asura ARAD

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gyran_ssb
Living in walking distance to a familiar venue was nice but this sounds really exciting! looking forward to it.
To make sure, pre-reg is $10...how much is each event? Like would entering Melee Singles mean $15 or does the venue fee cover it?

MacD

correct. below is what i have on the first page explaining that

(Ex: if you enter Melee singles, doubles, and PM singles, your total would be $15 and then $10 for venue for a total of $25. $20 if you bring a setup.)

also if you can bring a setup you can save up to another $5 as explained in my above post

Best Asura ARAD

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gyran_ssb
I actually do have a couple spare TVs now but idk if they would work properly. Just got them from a closing universal gamestop, plus one is digital and the other is bigger than...me, so that won't be going anywhere.
If I look into it further I may be able to bring an extra TV but to my understanding digital TVs are a no go because of the digital to analog conversion for inputs causing frame lag right?

MacD

Big Mayhem/life news. Most importantly I am CANCELLING PM at Mayhem. I am doing this because this will either be the last, or 2nd to last Mayhem. I will be moving to Norcal in the coming month-ish. As I will not be able to grow Mayhem as I had originally planned, I will be making it Melee only so that it is easier on me to run and so I can enjoy it more. Anyone who is signed up for both but won't come without PM, can you please delete your reg?

I will also be changing the venue fee to $5 for everyone who pre-regs, $10 for those who don't and removing the setup discount. Besides covering the venue, the extra fee was going towards all the supplies I would be puchasing (so that I wouldn't have to rely on others for extension cords/strips), compensating staff, and investing into things that would make the tourneys overall better (especially when smash 4 came out). As I have no future plans, I see no reason for the higher fee anymore. I'm hoping food purchases and the $4 should be able to cover the venue fee ($1 still going to charity).

PLEASE BRING SETUPS, powers strips, and extention cords. We will have space for at least 40 setups. Because I won't be puchasing these things, I will need help. Please make sure to label your equipment before you come. It'll make things easier on everyone.

Schedule will stay the same. Show up 10am, Doubles start at 11:30am, Singles at 1:30

GIMR/VGbootcamp won't be streaming it. He was able to get his flight refunded. Mike Haze will stream it again this time.

Sorry for anyone who was looking forward to another double game event. It's too much work for me to handle both games well and compete. I'd rather host 1 game, make sure it's ran well, and be able to enter the event. Things would be different if Team Ageis was still with me, but as I don't have any other TO's lined up, I would rather just cancel and everyone can go to SSS on Sunday to play PM.

TL;DR Cancelled PM. $5 venue pre-reg, $10 no pre-reg, no setup discount. Please bring setups, power strips, and extension cords. Schedule is the same. VGbootcamp isn't coming out, Mike Haze will stream. Sorry for the people looking forward to a double game event.

Best Asura ARAD

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gyran_ssb
That's unfortunate to hear, but it happens. Hope you enjoy NorCal in the near future man, and looking forward to the last few Mayhems! the stuff I have for setups is REALLY sloppy but hopefully I'll manage at least something like cords/strips.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Uh yeah what, that's definitely wayy too close to a tournament date to cancel an event. Personal reasons for not running PM (which are all reasonable) aside, Oracle had already purchased his flight to SoCal with this tournament + PM SSS in mind, and it gets canceled 3/4 days before the event?
Is any effort being made to compensate Oracle for his travel costs due to this? I'm sure others had made travel plans as well but none as concrete as a plane ticket.

Last edited:

MacD

Mayhem is back on October 18th. We are adding Smash 4 for the 3DS to our lineup this time. Smash 4 will be BYOS (Bring your own system). We will only be running singles for this first one. 2 stocks, 6 minutes. Custom moves and Miis are banned. Full rules and explinations can be found in the event description.

We are getting a 2nd room this time to allow for more space. We will be raising the venue fee to $7 for pre-reg. $10 if you don't pre-reg. You can get a discount for bringing a full Melee setup. Full explination of the discount can be found in the event description.

There will be food and drinks sold again. We are working with the venue to make sure things work out better. It seems a lot of people didn't know about the food or drink sales last time. We are unsure of what the food options will be at the time.

***Smash 4 rule explanation also listed on the main page***

We feel it is unfair to allow custom moves at this point, because the moves you unlock come down to RNG. It would not be fair if someone gets certain moves that are really good just by pure chance. Miis seem to have variable weights, speeds, and all their custom moves. We feel it will promote a healthier environment early on if we don't allow them until more people are able to play around with them and test them out.

MacD

Hey guys. Reg for Mayhem is live. Sorry i'm late on it, busy weekend. You sign up here and will pay in person. Please make sure to update your registration/delete yourself if you end up not being able to come. Pre-reg closes at 8pm on Friday. I make pools when it closes.

Let me know if you have any questions.

View Entrants: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1apokgZGEwSc3iTiO-lCyjlhWzBPu4Gj0NEO3B0A2X7U/edit?usp=sharing

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/990082914342541/

CookieCutter23

Smash Rookie
NNID
pokemaster0
3DS FC
4828-3975-6915
Arghh I keep messing up on this T_T

My potato computer put me as deleted and going as I tried to close the tab after it. I am about to put another entry for myaelf in. Sorry so much for being an idiot!

lensy

Smash Rookie
Do I need to participate to attend? Could I just pay the $7 venue fee and loiter/spectate?

MacD

if you are just planning on spectating and not playing friendlies or anything, then we can work out a cheaper alternative. but yes, feel free to still come

lensy

Smash Rookie
You don't have to, no. Feel free to come along and just play friendlies.
All right, cool. Definitely looking forward to friendlies.

if you are just planning on spectating and not playing friendlies or anything, then we can work out a cheaper alternative. but yes, feel free to still come
Ok, would I need to pre-reg online, or just show up day of and let you know what I'll be doing? I think I'd be interested in playing friendlies.

AznLanceLord

Smash Cadet
Yesterday, I let M2K borrow my blue 3DS XL for the smash 4 tournament, and someone approached M2K claiming to return the 3DS back to me. I never got my 3DS back, and I've had to file a police report under the assumption that this person ran off with my 3DS. I've also talked to nintendo, but I'd rather resolve this issue with as little difficulty as possible. If you got the 3DS from M2K, message me and we can settle this quickly and easily. I don't want to make this harder than it has to be.

MacD

Mayhem Results Thread - http://smashboards.com/threads/mayhem-10-18-melee-3ds-results-south-pasadena-ca.374096/

Hey everyone, hope you all had a good time. I know there were delays getting started. We only had 1 reg station this time so when everyone shows up near the deadline, it took some time to reg them.

I feel like things went well with Smash 3DS, especially considering I wasn't sure what to expect. I would like to add doubles but will have to think about it. Trust me, i love doubles more than most people, but logistically we'll have to see what can be done next time. I will make sure to have more charging stations next time. I didn't even think about that being an issue. Thank you to whoever brought that to my attention early on in the day.

Melee pools could have ran a bit smoother. I know my pool and Westballz's pool got held up because we didn't go to them between doubles. Also, I was hoping for more setups. We had enough to run the tourney, but we had the capacity for more!!

Overall I'm very happy with the event. It ran smooth, people seemed happy, and they were able to get a lot of friendlies in. I will talk with the venue to figure out the date of our next event. They did seem happy with how it turned out though!!

MacD

Hey all. Next 2 Mayhem's are set. We've got Nov 8th, and the one after that will be Dec 13th. Hopefully everyone enjoyed the last one. We are going to have more charging stations for the 3DS next time. I want to talk about an alternative Smash 4 ruleset. do you guys wanna see custom moves? do you wanna see more stages? stocks/time will stay the same. Let me know your thoughts.

More details to come, just wanted to let everyone know our next 2 event dates!!!!

MacD

Hey guys, Mayhem reg is up. Remember: if you pre-reg your venue fee is $7, and if you don't it's $10. you can save money by bringing a full melee setup.

I'm adding smash 4 doubles!!! I will finalize the ruleset for smash 4 by the end of the day. I'm also going to make sure we have a few more charging stations for you guys. if there are any other suggestions the smash 4 players have i'd love to hear them.

pre-reg: http://goo.gl/forms/96woj1iODS

Registration list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NZwlDsjklmRS6G2DglwK9ypsiHazqUjEDpDXAGgVGE0/edit?usp=sharing

FB event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/718764468202062/

EraOfGames

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-7773-5577
Idk if it's too late to say but I'd like custom moves to be allowed for Smash 4. For counterpick suggestions: Prism Tower, Arena Ferox, Tomodachi Life. I don't know how most people feel about the latter two though.

MacD

We're going to have a pretty crazy Mayhem this time. From Norcal we have SFAT, Shroomed, Alan, Brandon (HMW), & Azusa. Also Fresno and Vegas are coming out.

Smash 4 rules i didn't finalize quickly, so i don't want to change things too drastically in singles. i'm just going to add Prism Tower as a CP and still no bans. everything else will be same as last time.

Doubles we'll do 3 stock, 8 minutes, G&W/Pikachu banned as a team. same 4 stages as in singles. You can request to color coordinate teams since the outlines aren't that great.

Remember: if you pre-reg your venue fee is $7, and if you don't it's $10. you can save money by bringing a full melee setup.

pre-reg: http://goo.gl/forms/96woj1iODS

Registration list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NZwlDsjklmRS6G2DglwK9ypsiHazqUjEDpDXAGgVGE0/edit?usp=sharing

Top Bottom