• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Apr 4, 2015] Comfy and Easy to Wear VI: Thanks Obamasnow (Louisville, KY)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Comfy and Easy to Wear VI: Thanks Obamasnow

"The hail stopped."
Those five turns lasted a lot longer than we expected... but it's over now! But even after how bad the roads ended up at our last Comfy and Easy to Wear, we were still able to hit 32 players just out of those that came in from Louisville and the surrounding cities! This time, we plan on bringing in all of those from last time, as well as the surrounding cities that were buffeted by the hail.

Bluegrass Magic
5629 Outer Loop, Louisville, KY 40219

Bluegrass Magic is a card shop on Outer Loop in Louisville, KY. They specialize mostly in trading card games like Magic or Yu-gi-oh, but are letting us use a good portion of their venue for our tournaments! However, our available outlets for setups are limited. We'll be making the most use of what we have, but this means we won't be able to run Melee at our events.

Event Information
Venue Fee - $5
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Singles- $10
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Doubles - $10 per player

General Information
[collapse=Tentative Schedule]
Schedule
This is all tentative. However, no event will start before the time listed.

12:00
  • Registration for all events begins.
12:45
  • Registration for Doubles ends, with final adjustments to brackets being made.
1:00
  • Doubles begins.
3:45
  • Registration for Singles ends, with final adjustments to pools being made.
4:00
  • Singles Pools begins; May be delayed based on progression of Wii U Doubles
6:00
  • Singles Bracket begins; May be delayed based on progression of Wii U Singles Pools.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Payouts]Payouts
Prizes will be determined by the number of entrants. We'll be using the following system:

Singles:
50+ Players/Teams: Top Eight
25-49 Players/Teams: Top Six
16-24 Players/Teams: Top Four
12-15 Players/Teams: Top Three
Under 12 Players/Teams: Top Two

Top Eight Payout:
1st: 38%
2nd: 26%
3rd: 16%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
7th: 2%

Top Six Payout:
1st: 40%
2nd: 28%
3rd: 16%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%

Top Four Payout:
1st: 45%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%

Top Three Payout:
1st: 50%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 20%

Top Two Payout:
1st: 60%
2nd: 40%
[/collapse]
[collapse=Setup Information and Waived Venue Fees]
Setup Information
Anyone who brings in a full setup will have their venue fee waived! A setup consists of the following:
  • A Wii U with all of the appropriate cables
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • HDTV
  • Gamecube Adapter (Mayflash is not accepted as a viable alternative)*
*Let us know if you do not have the gamecube adapter! It is possible that one of us has an extra, and we might be able to make it work!

Standby

• If you only bring a partial setup, you will be placed on Standby.
  • If you bring a full setup, but we don't currently have space or think we will be able to use your setup, you will be placed on Standby.
  • Participants placed on Standby will still pay venue fee, however they may have half or all of it returned, depending on the situation.
  • Participants placed on Standby will be recorded on a setup list, ordered according to when they brought their partial setup.
  • For Participants that only brought a partial Setup, whenever another player arrives that brought the other piece(s), the refunded venue fee will be split among the players.
  • For Participants that brought a full setup that we decide we will be able to use, you will have your venue fee returned to you.
  • A setup is only valid if you have all of the available characters unlocked, as well as having all available stages.
  • We will be uploading the Recommended Custom Sets to each Wii U at the venue. We ask that you clear out enough custom setups to make room for them.

Do not play friendlies on setups designated for tournament matches
A warning will be given, however future offenders face disqualification. Setups will be designated for friendlies and announced to all players when the active tournament winds down.
Do not play a tournament match on a setup designated for friendlies.
[/collapse]
[collapse=Tardiness]
Tardiness

• Matches are to be played immediately after they have been announced. If you cannot find your opponent, inform staff so that we can help find the player.
  • After 5 minutes we will issue a warning if the game has not yet been played.
  • After 10 minutes we will issue a game loss to the player that is preventing the game from being played out.
  • After 15 minutes we will issue a set loss to the player that is preventing the game from being played out.

Preventing the Game from Being Played Out

• This could out could range anything from putting it off to leaving the venue.
  • A game loss will be given regardless of whether or not the player was in the venue to hear the warning.
  • If both players are absent for the 10 minutes of the disqualification process, both players will receive a game loss, and the last game of the match will be played on a neutral, decided by stage strike.
  • If both players are absent for the 15 minutes of the disqualification process, the set win will be given to the first player to report to staff.
  • If your opponent is taking too long to start a particular match, inform a member of staff and a timer will be set in place. After five minutes from this point, a game loss will be issued towards the player that is preventing the match from being played. This is to prevent players from taking too long searching for a 3DS and prolonging the match.
  • If you are found playing friendlies (whether it be on console or 3DS) while you have a tournament match to play, you face disqualification.
  • 5 Minutes after the match has been called, if a player is found playing friendlies, we will issue a game loss to that player.
  • 10 Minutes after the match has been called, if a player is found playing friendlies, we will issue a set loss to that player.
  • If both players would be considered disqualified by this means, the first player to report to staff will be given the set win.
  • Even if you cannot find your opponent, do not decide to start playing friendlies.
  • If two players are to be disqualified for different reasons, it is up to the Tournament Organizer's discretion to decide whom to give the set win to. In most instances, being absent from the venue will be a heavier offense than others.

[/collapse]
Rule Sets
[collapse=Wii U Rules]

• 3 Stocks
  • 8 Minutes
  • Handicap: Off
  • Damage Ratio: 1.0x
  • Team Attack: On
  • Items set to Off and None
  • Pause set to Off
    • If the game is paused by a player, that player is forced to immediately forfeit a stock. We will be checking to make sure that every setup has pausing turned off. However, in the instance that a console is reset without us realizing, all players are encouraged to double check each setup before they play their set. The opposing player may deem that stock forfeit.
    • If the game is paused by a player in doubles that no longer has any stocks remaining, the opposing team may deem that the player’s partner’s stock forfeit. The player that paused the game, in this case, cannot take a stock, and the player’s teammate must forfeit their current stock.
  • Sets are best of 3
    • Grand Finals, Winners Finals, and Losers Finals are best of 5
  • Custom Specials are allowed
  • Custom Equipment is not allowed
  • Mii Fighters are allowed
  • Mewtwo will be allowed. We will take note of which setups have Mewtwo unlocked and which do not. Players that may play Mewtwo during the event will be taken note of as well, and we will be doing everything in our power to make sure that all players that may play Mewtwo are on setups that have him available. If you are on a setup that does not have Mewtwo available and wish to play him in your set, please alert staff and we will make sure that you are moved to the appropriate setup.
  • Random is not allowed.
    • Random not only gives the character random Custom Specials, but also random Custom Equipment.
  • Any game that goes to Time will ignore the Sudden Death tie breaker. The winner of the game will be decided firstly by who has more stocks, with the player that has more stocks being awarded the win. If stocks are tied, the player with less percentage is declared the winner. If both stocks and percentage are tied, a 1 stock, 3 minute rematch will occur. This rematch will take place on the same stage, with all players playing the original characters they played, and all other rules and settings remaining the same.
  • If a player wins on a stage during the set, they are not allowed to counterpick that stage for the remainder of the set.
    • A player that loses on a stage is still allowed to pick that stage during the set, as long as they have not also won on that stage during the set.
    • If a player wins a game on Final Destination or an Omega Stage, they cannot counterpick Final Destination or an Omega Stage for the remainder of the set.
  • Coaching and giving advice is allowed between games, but not during.
  • Singles will contain elimination pools. The seeds that players will receive from pools, as well as who will advance to bracket will be decided in the following order.
    1. Who won more sets
    2. Record of wins minus losses out of all games in the pool
    3. Head to head
    4. In the instance of a full tie still existing, the tied players will replay their matches against each other
  • If Olimar is on the same team as a character that has a reflector in doubles, Olimar cannot select the "Order Tackle" custom special. If the Olimar's teammate is not using any reflectors through alternate specials, the Olimar can still use Order Tackle. The following characters have a reflector as an option:
    • Dark Pit
    • Dr. Mario
    • Falco
    • Fox
    • Mario
    • Mii Gunner
    • Mii Swordfighter
    • Palutena
    • Pit
    • R.O.B.
    • Zelda
  • In doubles, Lucario's Snaring Aura Sphere cannot be selected if his partner is a Villager that is using either Pocket or Pocket Plus.

Custom Specials and Mii Fighters
We will have all of the custom sets from the Recommended Custom Moveset Project on 3DS' and upload them to each Wii U at the venue. Because of this, we don't expect to run into too many situations where a player wants to use a setup not found already uploaded to the Wii U. However, if this ends up being the case, you have two options available.

If you know ahead of time that your custom setup will not be on the Custom Setup Project, inform us ahead of time. We will make sure that we have the custom setup ready to upload to any TV you will play on. If we're able to, we'll simply upload your setup when we upload all of the other setups. However, after Doubles starts, this will no longer be an option. It is your responsibility to let us know ahead of time. Please notify us either in this thread or the Facebook Group.

If you wish to upload a setup to a Wii U during a tournament, you have five minutes to do so. You are expected to have a 3DS readily available, be it your own or a friend's. It takes less than minute to upload a single characters' custom setup to a Wii U, so you'll have plenty of time. However, this is definitely a less ideal option than the former and is to be used as a last resort. The same rules apply to Mii Fighters that apply to Custom Character Setups.

Before the start of any particular game, you are allowed to ask your opponent if they are using custom specials.
If you are asked if your character has custom specials, you are required to tell the opponent the names of these specials. The same applies to Mii Fighter.

Starter Stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Town and City
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Duck Hunt
Halberd

Counterpick Stages
Skyloft
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Kongo Jungle 64
Omega Stages*

Ruling on Omega Stages:

• Any Omega Stage is to be treated as Final Destination.
  • If a player counterpicks an Omega Stage, they are allowed to pick which variation the game will be played on.
  • If a player bans Final Destination, all Omega Stages are banned as well.
  • An Omega Stage can be selected for the Starter Stage if both players agree to it. Otherwise, Final Destination will be selected.
Game Procedure:

First Game of the Set:

1. If one player wishes to contest for port priority, this is done now. This can be done through rock paper scissors, coin flip, etc.
    • Ports in Smash for Wii U can be changed by exiting and re-entering the character select screen. The first player to press a button or move the control stick has will receive the lowest available port.
  2. Players choose their characters. Double Blind may be requested by either player. Custom moves are selected at this point as well.
  3. Players decide who will strike first. This can be agreed upon or be decided through Rock Paper Scissors, Coin Flip, etc.
  4. Players strike stages in a 2-3-1 fashion, with player A striking two stages, player B striking three stages, and then player A striking one last stage. Twenty-Three is Number One.

Following Games:

1. If the losing player wishes to change port priority, this is done now.
    • Ports in Smash for Wii U can be changed by exiting and re-entering the character select screen. The first player to press a button or move the control stick will receive the lowest available port.
  2. The winner of the previous game bans up to two stages from the starter or counterpick list.
  3. Stages banned by a player cannot be selected by either player for the remainder of the set.
    1. During a set consisting of five games, each player is still only allowed two bans for the entirety of the set. After a players’ first win, that player may delay one or more of his bans until after his second win, if he wishes.
  4. The loser of the previous game selects one stage from the starter or counterpick list for the next game to be played on.
  5. The winner of the previous game selects the character he or she will play during the next game, as well as any custom moves.
  6. The loser of the previous game selects the character he or she will play during the next game, as well as any custom moves.
[/collapse]

Contact Information
DtJ Hilt: (502) 709-0811
Facebook.com/Lixth

Please contact me if you need any information regarding the venue or tournament in general. I implore at least one person from each car group to have my number in their phone in case you're running a bit late. I can add you into the bracket as long as you aren't going to be more than thirty minutes late. But if you don't call and we've already started, we are not going to throw the bracket off balance just for your sake. Put my number in your phone.

Hoping to see everyone here!

Last edited:

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Setups and Attendance
Hey everyone. I'd like to get an attendance list and and list of anyone bringing a Setup. If you are bringing a Setup, I will contact you regarding the setup to make sure you are still available to bring it. If Smash Boards is not a reliable way to contact you, please PM me a better method if able.

Please let us know the following information so it can edited into the list
Mayflash is NOT accepted. If you are bringing multiples of items, please indicate how many. (Exp. HDTV: Yes 2)

Tag: (Enter Name)
Wii U and Game Disc: (Y/N)
HDTV: (Y/N)
Gamecube Adapter: (Y/N)

Last edited:

Griff

Smash Rookie
Tag: Griff
WII U and Game Disc: Yes
HDTV: Yes
Camecube Adapter: Yes

I would just need the customs uploaded to my console.

Last edited:

HellTyrant

Smash Cadet
This tournament is so well planned out I am sure the turn out will be off the charts, count me in!

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
the address in post and on the info section do not match, is this Indiana or Kentucky? I'm guessing Kentucky but justr some clarification. I will very likely be at this. so here ya go.

Tag: Xisin
Wii U and Game Disc : No
HDTV: No
Adapter: No

DrXenoPootis

Smash Cadet
NNID
DrXenoPootis
3DS FC
3969-6817-9705
Tag: DrXeno
Wii U and Game Disc: No

I may or may not be there, so yeah.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
the address in post and on the info section do not match, is this Indiana or Kentucky? I'm guessing Kentucky but justr some clarification. I will very likely be at this. so here ya go.
Thanks for catching that! Haha. Fixed the opening post, yeah it's in Louisville.

BaeBraham

Coffee and Smash enthusiast
NNID
BaeBraham
3DS FC
4184-3853-8896
I'll be out of town, but if you guys need to borrow my setup let me know! I can definitely leave it with someone if need be.

-Sam-

Smash Rookie
Tag: Sam
Game and Wiiu: No

As for customs, I was wondering if you could add these two custom sets for Mario: 2333, and 2313.
You can replace any two of these sets if no other Mario users object: 1212, 1213, 1313, and 1213.
Thank you.

Ndzablou

Smash Cadet
NNID
ndzablou
Tag: Butter
WiiU and Game Disc: No
Gamecube Adapter: No

CaptainFalchion

Smash Rookie
NNID