• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 26, 2014] Project M @ Old School Onslaught 8! (Cincinnati, OH)

Doctor X

Smash Lord
So, as it turns out, a super-amazing arcade in Cincinnati called Arcade Legacy has a regular fighting game event known as Old School Onslaught. They conducted a vote for an additional game to include at their next event, and as Project M is fairly popular around here, we had ourselves a bit of a mini Evo spirit-bomb moment and won the vote for Project M!

For those of you who went to Nerd Rage in August, you should know that this will in fact be at that same venue, and we all know how awesome that was. We will be doing both singles and doubles brackets, alongside all the other traditional FGC events-- one of which being a bracket of random mystery games that's sure to be a blast. Southern Ohio's FGC is fairly strong these days, so I see this as a great opportunity for us to represent the smash community and start beginning some localized crossover between ourselves and those who play more traditional games.

Smash-specific details are below, but you can see full details, fees, and a schedule for the entire event here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/596393043772726/

Tentative Smash-Specific Schedule
12:00 PM -- Venue opens, Registration for Doubles and Singles Begins.
1:00 PM -- Doubles Registration Closes. Doubles bracket starts.
3:00 PM-- Singles Registration Closes.
3:30 PM-- Singles pools begins.
5:30 PM-- Singles pools ends. Break for dinner.
6:00 PM-- Singles bracket begins.
*Note: All of this will be happening with other games going on around us, which means the schedule will likely have to adapt somewhat. Feel free to enter those other games, but please don't enter *all* of them.

Fees
  • $10 venue, from which you get a $2 discount if you enter the main event (that mystery-game bracket I mentioned earlier). By the way, if you come, you should enter this, and not just for the discount. I know we're all smashers and we don't generally play traditional fighters, but these are going to be random, crazy games that nobody plays. It's a great opportunity for us to have some fun with people from other communities.

• $10 for Singles.

• $10 per teammate for Doubles.

Note: made the above entry fees $10 since it's been a while since we've had a serious tournament here, and I'd like this to be one. If you guys want, we can lower the entry fees above to $5 and keep this more of a simple local thing. I don't imagine we'll draw too much crossover from the traditional FGC either way, though we may turn a couple people off that might have entered for $5. Feel free to let me know what you think by posting below. I'm open to suggestions.
Setup Incentives
We've been offered the time and the space for both singles and doubles, so let's be sure to make the best of it and bring tons of setups! The Arcade is offering a $5 venue discount to anybody who brings a full setup, and free drinks to anybody who at least brings a system that can be used in the tournament.

Payouts
If we don't break 32 Entrants:
  • 1st-- 60%
  • 2nd-- 30%
  • 3rd-- 10%
If we get more than 32:
  • 1st-- 55%
  • 2nd -- 25%
  • 3rd -- 15%
  • 4th -- 5%
If we get more than 50:
  • 1st-- 50%
  • 2nd-- 25%
  • 3rd-- 13%
  • 4th-- 6%
  • 5th-- 3%
  • 5th-- 3%

Rules
  • We will be using Project M Demo v3.02-- at the time of this tournament, the most recent Project M release. Setups that use other versions will not be accepted.
  • 4 stock, 8 minute timer
  • Items OFF and all set to NONE
  • Buffer OFF
  • Team Attack set to ON.
  • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
  • If a match ends with both players dying at the same time resulting in Sudden Death, a 1-stock rematch will be played out on the same stage.
  • All Finals matches will be Best of 5 format.
  • If each player has one stock remaining and the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.
  • Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Standard Dave's Stupid Rule (DSR): You cannot counterpick a stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
    Note: We are using Standard, not Modified DSR, because there are many more reasonable stages in PM than there are in Melee. Use them plz.
  • Gentlemen's Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
  • Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.
Stage Strike from Starter Stages for the first match of the set in "122112" fashion:
  1. First player/team strikes one stage.
  2. Second player/team strikes the next two stages.
  3. First player/team strikes the next two stages.
  4. Second player/team strikes one stage.
Starter Stages
  • Battlefield
  • Dream Land 64
  • Final Destination
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Story (Singles Only. Banned in Doubles.)
  • Distant Planet (Doubles Only. Banned in Singles.)
Counterpick Stages:
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Wario Ware
  • Green Hill Zone
  • Skyloft
  • Skyworld
  • Dracula's Castle
After each match:
  1. Winner(s) announce 3 stage bans, or 2 if this is a Best of 5.
  2. Loser(s) choose a Counterpick stage.
  3. Winner(s) choose their character(s).
  4. Loser(s) choose their character(s).
  5. Loser chooses their controller port (optional).
  6. Winner chooses their controller port (optional).
  7. In Doubles, second loser chooses their controller port (optional).
  8. In Doubles, second winner chooses their controller port (optional).

Last edited:

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Whoops, mistake. I copy-pasted a lot of this from the Nerd Rage thread cause I'm lazy.

As long as I don't double-post like a loser, tho, I think I'm ok.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
this is probably too far for me to go to, unfortunately. i'm traveling a LOT in the next few months and the weekends where I don't go anywhere I just like to relax and hang with family.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
this is probably too far for me to go to, unfortunately. i'm traveling a LOT in the next few months and the weekends where I don't go anywhere I just like to relax and hang with family.
No worries, bro, I don't expect people to travel to this like they did in August. We just figured we'd shoot off invites to anybody who might have even the remotest chance of wanting to come.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
One of my local FGC guys invited me to this if he can get the date off, in which case I'll be coming.

I'd need a partner for PM doubles if anybody is interested. (Keep in mind I'm not 100% confirmed, but I should know by like the end of this week)

EDIT: I'm confirmed for this now. Somebody team with me in PM.

Last edited:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
One of my local FGC guys invited me to this if he can get the date off, in which case I'll be coming.

I'd need a partner for PM doubles if anybody is interested. (Keep in mind I'm not 100% confirmed, but I should know by like the end of this week)

EDIT: I'm confirmed for this now. Somebody team with me in PM.
Me me me me me.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Added a tentative schedule to let people know what the plans generally are. My hope is we can keep to this. Pools will be RR or bracket depending on the number of entrants and how quickly we can get done with doubles.

Last edited:

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Recording is encouraged. I would advise against trying to steam alongside AL's official stream, though. We don't want to compete with them for bandwidth. The internet is not great in this mall.

(1UP)

Smash Apprentice
me, SoulPech, Juushichi, Suyon, Hanky Panky, and AlfaStryke are all coming from cbus tomorrow

Last edited:

Russy

Russydorf of Cincy
if you go, pls record on my setup. i say this partially out of liking recording on my setup and also because i want some PMBR testing i want to do later (or earlier) in the day to be recorded. thnx
Do you have headsets for commentary? As of right now, I was supposed to bring the setup, but because of bad planning from my parents, I won't be able to stay for singles

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
any chance anyone from northeast ohio going? or have room for 2 leaving from columbus that I can catch a ride with to cut down on expenses?

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
I'm not able to go with Columbus this time.

But I will still support them and expect good results! Keep me posted!

Top Bottom