• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] "Suburb Smash 2" presented by WCG (Brookfield, Illinois)

SLAUGHTERMELON

Smash Rookie
Recently moved to the area, thinking of getting into Smash so I'll be there to see what's up before heading off to exp 101 later on.

Looking forward to meeting y'all!

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Singles for all games.

Before I elaborate on anything else, I wanted to get the pulse of the community on an issue I have. Registration is climbing, and we are going to do pools. However because the pools are going to be so large, I was considering doing single games instead of best of 3s to speed it up. Your thoughts?

Brackets would be standard Bo3s though.
That didn't answer my question though. Will there be doubles for Project M? Just a doubles bracket. It's a standard at most tournaments. Singles and doubles. Also, if you have the time don't rush things. People want a best of 3 set in pools. 1 or 2 set ups per pool, assign captains, lay down ground rules that if your called and not at your pool within 5 minutes of calling you forfeit the match. This is pretty standard. If people aren't playing friendlies and get to their pools when they're starting and play when they need to, there shouldn't be an issue. I assumed doubles would be a part of this from the moment I signed up.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
That didn't answer my question though. Will there be doubles for Project M? Just a doubles bracket. It's a standard at most tournaments. Singles and doubles. Also, if you have the time don't rush things. People want a best of 3 set in pools. 1 or 2 set ups per pool, assign captains, lay down ground rules that if your called and not at your pool within 5 minutes of calling you forfeit the match. This is pretty standard. If people aren't playing friendlies and get to their pools when they're starting and play when they need to, there shouldn't be an issue. I assumed doubles would be a part of this from the moment I signed up.
There will be one setup per pool most likely. And doubles has never been a part of this event. We didn't have good enough support behind it for SS1, nor did we have the time for it. Right now, my main concern is meeting everyone's needs for singles first and foremost. This is all a work in progress, and right now, the interest for doubles is just not there. I know EXP did doubles recently and it turned out okay. But for this event, it's just not convenient currently. Hope you understand! :crazy:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
You have plenty of time. Until 2am if I'm not mistaken. Why not set up PM doubles through challonge? After the singles events. The only game that will take long is Brawl due to how slow the game plays. This is silly. I guarantee that if you had doubles become a part of it, many people would be interested to play.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
You have plenty of time. Until 2am if I'm not mistaken. Why not set up PM doubles through challonge? After the singles events. The only game that will take long is Brawl due to how slow the game plays. This is silly. I guarantee that if you had doubles become a part of it, many people would be interested to play.
Well it's funny you say that, because I was told we pretty much have it until 2:00am, but now on our banner they also have a Killer Instinct tourney scheduled for 8:00pm that same night, so I have no clue what's going on with that.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Well it's funny you say that, because I was told we pretty much have it until 2:00am, but now on our banner they also have a Killer Instinct tourney scheduled for 8:00pm that same night, so I have no clue what's going on with that.
Well you rented the venue. I'll do my best to bring a setup to help. I hope they have an arcade cabinet though because we need those CRTs. It's not like you'd be running the KI tourney anyways. Plus doubles brackets are simple to run through challonge.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Well you rented the venue. I'll do my best to bring a setup to help. I hope they have an arcade cabinet though because we need those CRTs. It's not like you'd be running the KI tourney anyways. Plus doubles brackets are simple to run through challonge.
I'll find out for sure tomorrow but I'm hoping they have a cabinet for KI. You don't need to bring a setup. Just a memory card for melee and copy of the game would be good enough.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I'll find out for sure tomorrow but I'm hoping they have a cabinet for KI. You don't need to bring a setup. Just a memory card for melee and copy of the game would be good enough.
I don't have melee. I need to get it actually hehe. I'll bring my tourney set up SD card for PM though.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Daily update on numbers:

Melee- 31 registered
Project M- 40 registered
Brawl- 20 registered

I'll be posting pools and rules tonight.
Also, I want to make sure to avoid people being disappointed. The space we are dealing with is NOT very big. The stream will be viewable on screens outside of the room as well. If your game is currently not the event being played, or your pool play is over, please try to only be in the room if necessary!

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Got it. Alot people for Project M, its really going to be fun now! :D
Project M is starting to get way more players recently and it's so awesome. It's gonna be hype dude.

@ AB-80 AB-80 I apologize if I seemed rude. I just love singles and doubles is all. Let me know if there's anything I can help with and I'd be happy to help out if I can. Also in curious.
#1: Why'd you choose Galloping Ghost instead of renting out Benedictine again? Pricing? Location?
By the way. Message me. There's a district across the street from where I live that isn't too expensive at all to rent out downstairs and it's about half the size of the Benedictine space you had. It's pretty good though.
#2: Pools are being posted today correct or no?

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Project M is starting to get way more players recently and it's so awesome. It's gonna be hype dude.

@ AB-80 AB-80 I apologize if I seemed rude. I just love singles and doubles is all. Let me know if there's anything I can help with and I'd be happy to help out if I can. Also in curious.
#1: Why'd you choose Galloping Ghost instead of renting out Benedictine again? Pricing? Location?
By the way. Message me. There's a district across the street from where I live that isn't too expensive at all to rent out downstairs and it's about half the size of the Benedictine space you had. It's pretty good though.
#2: Pools are being posted today correct or no?
You weren't rude at all man, its all good. I know everyone is passionate about everything that's going on right now. To answer your questions:
1. We chose Galloping Ghost because they gave us a significantly better pricing deal. With Benedictine, I paid to rent the room PLUS insurance for just the night. I loved the venue and it has enormous potential. The pricing situation with insurance, etc. is just awful. We lost money hosting the tournament. That's how bad the insurance situation makes it for that venue. Plus with Galloping Ghost - I thought being a little closer to the city might bring out some more players, plus the advertising in the arcade itself, and it clearly has. We're far and above where we were for Suburb Smash 1.
2. Pools will be released tonight around 10:00 pm hopefully. Rankings were quickly written up by Oro?! for PM and Melee for those who registered a few days ago. There will be two ranked players strategically placed in each pool, and then the rest will be random placements. Brawl does not have rankings, and will have randomized pool play.

And also - any help with that place you mentioned would be awesome. Send us the details PLEASE.

Last edited:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
You weren't rude at all man, its all good. I know everyone is passionate about everything that's going on right now. To answer your questions:
1. We chose Galloping Ghost because they gave us a significantly better pricing deal. With Benedictine, I paid to rent the room PLUS insurance for just the night. I loved the venue and it has enormous potential. The pricing situation with insurance, etc. is just awful. We lost money hosting the tournament. That's how bad the insurance situation makes it for that venue. Plus with Galloping Ghost - I thought being a little closer to the city might bring out some more players, plus the advertising in the arcade itself, and it clearly has. We're far and above where we were for Suburb Smash 1.
2. Pools will be released tonight around 10:00 pm hopefully. Rankings were quickly written up by Oro?! for PM and Melee for those who registered a few days ago. There will be two ranked players strategically placed in each pool, and then the rest will be random placements. Brawl does not have rankings, and will have randomized pool play.

And also - any help with that place you mentioned would be awesome. Send us the details PLEASE.
You'd have to call for further details on how the Internet is there and what not. But the name of the place is the Oakbrook Terrace Park District. It's a downstairs room. There's stairs or an elevator you can take to go down one floor to the hallway leading to the room(the elevator would be helpful for people with expensive equipment or larger CRTs).They have multiple long tables and a good number of outlets around the entire room. The tables would be perfect for setups. There's things inside the room that would need to be moved into the hallway but last time I was there it wasn't a problem. They have 1 pretty good CRT they can lend you with permission as well.

About the seeding:
Also, you mentioned in the information that seeding only applies to "the top 16 only". Does this mean top 16 overall? Does this mean the top 16 players changing depending on who's going? Or does it imply that if your one of the players within the top 16 in terms of skill at EXP, you will be seeded? I'd appreciate if you could let me know. As I'd prefer to have the hype matches in the elite bracket and not off the bat.

Last edited:

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
About the seeding:
Also, you mentioned in the information that seeding only applies to "the top 16 only". Does this mean top 16 overall? Does this mean the top 16 players changing depending on who's going? Or does it imply that if your one of the players within the top 16 in terms of skill at EXP, you will be seeded? I'd appreciate if you could let me know. As I'd prefer to have the hype matches in the elite bracket and not off the bat.
Seeding for these tournaments was based on Oro?!'s suggestions for players that were registered as of the first week of April, in which only 9 to 10 players warranted a ranking.

Pools are done and can be found on the facebook page. Working on Brawl's. Will post all here soon.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Pools for Melee - START TIME: 1:00 PM - Top 2 advance - Bracket Style Pools will be available via Challonge

Pools for PM - TENTATIVE START TIME: 3:30 PM - Top 2 advance - Bracket Style Pools

Pools for Brawl - TENTATIVE START TIME: 6:30 PM - Bracket Style Pools

AGAIN - IF YOU ARE NOT PLAYING IN THE CURRENT EVENT, OR YOU ARE WAITING ON OTHER POOLS, PLEASE EXIT THE ROOM TO ALLOW SPACE FOR OTHER PARTICIPANTS! THANK YOU!
:smash:

EDIT -- "Jack" in PM Pool E will be replaced by "ShadeFinale." ShadeFinale will also be in Pool B of Melee, and Pool A of Brawl.

Last edited:

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Occupancy at Galloping Ghost is going to be at maximum for this one.
Hope no one minds the close quarters. :sadeyes:

Reminder - you can roam the floor, but you can't play any of the arcade cabinets without paying an extra $15 to GGA.

Last edited:

SLAUGHTERMELON

Smash Rookie
Should I skip this if I'm only planning on playing friendlies? Don't want to be taking up space as a total noob.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Should I skip this if I'm only planning on playing friendlies? Don't want to be taking up space as a total noob.
If you want the most playing time available I would check out Smash 101 at EXP in Oak Park. There will
be friendlies here I'm sure but not until pools are over and we advance some in the bracket.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Everyone that attended Suburb Smash 2, thank you for attending! Had fun with all of you. Thank you for all your patience, from the room being small and crowded, to waiting for your pools to start later than scheduled. I want everyone to know how much it means to me that you guys deal with this stuff on a monthly basis. We are trying to figure out what works with the community and what doesn't, and trying to make it a little bit better each time we host the event. I feel like by adding some seeds and pools, and hosting it at a venue that was more accommodating to us (although small), Suburb Smash 2 ran a little better than Suburb Smash 1, and we plead that you continue to bear with us as we work to deliver the best experience possible for Smash tournaments. We plan to build on that as we move towards Suburb Smash 3, and will continue to build on that tournament after tournament, refusing to be satisfied until the events are perfect. So again, thank you.

Suburb Smash 2 - Melee Sweet 16 Event Results can be viewed here: http://challonge.com/ss2melee16
Suburb Smash 2 - Project M Sweet 16 Event Results can be viewed here: http://challonge.com/ss2pm16
Suburb Smash 2 - Brawl Elite 8 Event Results can be viewed here: http://challonge.com/ss2brawl8

All pools can be viewed by typing "http://challonge.com/ss2..." followed by the name of the game (i.e. melee, pm, brawl), and ending with the pool letter.
For example, pool A of Melee would be "http://challonge.com/ss2meleea"

I will be uploading these brackets to Smashboards now, and will post again when finished.

Top Bottom