• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Southwest [Apr 18, 2015] MVG PRESENTS: SANDSTORM - A SW NATIONAL?! Armada, Mew2king, PC... (Tempe, AZ)

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
MVG PRESENTS:
SANDSTORM - A SW NATIONAL!?

FACEBOOK EVENT HERE
DATE:
Saturday April 18th - Sunday April 19th, 2015

VENUE:
*NEW VENUE*
Gameworks at Arizona Mills, 5000 S Arizona Mills Cir #669, Tempe, AZ 85282

PRE-REGISTER HERE:
https://www.mvgleague.com/mvg-event-registration
-Please make sure you're signing up for the correct games!

-By signing up for multiple games you acknowledge you may be asked to actively switch between games as necessary to keep the tournament on schedule.

-If you sign up for doubles claim your teammate HERE

-If you would like to withdraw or join another event, fill out the form HERE

Pricing:
$20 Venue Fee ( BEING RAISED TO $25 AFTER 2-19-2015 )
$10 per Event
$10 per Doubles Team

VENUE FEE INCLUDES:
  • New 2 day Venue
  • 15% Food & Drink Discount
  • Custom menu for our event
  • Dedicated waitstaff!

You are ONLY allowed to enter any two(2) singles events and any two(2) doubles events maximum.

Schedule:
Saturday:
10:00AM Venue opens and Check-ins begin.
11:45AM Check-ins end, setup for tournaments begin.
12:00PM RR Pools Begin
6:00PM Teams Begin
11:00PM Projected End Time for all Day 1 events.
12:00AM Venue Closes.

Sunday:
-TBD-

*Scedule is subject to change as we get a better idea of attendance.

Rules
General

Event Setup:
  • There will be a round robin pools, which serve to seed players into the next round of competition. Tentatively 16 pools with top 4 advance.
  • Pools will be divided to accommodate players in multiple games. Top finishers in brackets will be seeded in the Pro Bracket and compete for the prize pot.

• You may be asked to actively switch between titles to keep the Pro bracket moving along.
  • If time permits, remaining players will play in an Amateur Bracket by the same rules but will be out of the running for prize money.
  • Due to venue space limitations, we are capping Melee and Smash 4 at 256 entrants, PM at 128.
  • Any time spent between games in a set is not to exceed 60 Seconds in length, starting at the results screen. This includes time spent deciding a counter pick, coaching, meditating, anything. You will be warned when there are 15 seconds remaining.

• If you do not report to your match within a reasonable amount of time without notifying your pool captain or the TOs calling matches, you face disqualification.
*The TOs reserve the right to adjust the rules as necessary for the event to stay on track.

Melee

• 1v1, 4 stock, 8 minute time limit, items off.

• As time permits, sets are best of 3 games until Winner's Finals, Loser's Semis, Loser's Finals, and Grand Finals when they become best of 5.

Stages:

• The first stage is chosen from the neutral stage list (see below). Each player strikes 2 stages from the list of 5 (1-2-1) until only one stage remains. After each game, the winner of the last game bans one stage, and the loser chooses the stage from the remaining 5 (Pokemon Stadium is an available “counterpick” stage after game 1).
  • As per Dave’s Stupid Rule, players may not counterpick their opponents to any stage they have previously won on.
Neutral stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Dream Land, Yoshi’s Story, Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick Only: Pokemon Stadium
  • Double-blind character selection can be demanded by either player at the beginning of a set. In subsequent games, players first select the stage as described above. Then the winner of the last game chooses his/her character before the loser chooses his/her character.

• If port priority is disputed, RPS will be played to decide the issue.

Smash 4 (Wii U)
  • 1v1, 2 stock, 6 minute time limit, items off.

• As time permits, sets are best of 3 games until Winner's Finals, Loser's Semis, Loser's Finals, and Grand Finals when they become best of 5.
Stages:
  • The first stage is chosen from the neutral stage list (see below). Each player strikes 2 stages from the list of 7 (1-2-2-1) until only one stage remains. After each game, the winner of the last game bans two stages, and the loser chooses the stage from the remaining stages.

• As per Dave’s Stupid Rule, players may not counterpick their opponents to any stage they have previously won on.

Neutral Stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, Town and City.

Counterpick Only: Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Halberd, Skyloft, Omega-form stages
  • Double-blind character selection can be demanded by either player at the beginning of a set. In subsequent games, players first select the stage as described above. Then the winner of the last game chooses his/her character before the loser chooses his/her character.

Project M
  • 1v1, 4 stock, 8 minute time limit, items off.

Stages:
  • The first stage is chosen from the neutral stage list (see below). Each player strikes stages from the list of 5 (1-2-1) until only one stage remains. After each game, the winner of the last game bans three stages, and the loser chooses the stage from the remaining 7 (Pokemon Stadium is an available “counterpick” stage after game 1).

Neutral stages: Yoshi's Island (Melee), Green Hill Zone, Pokemon Stadium 2, BattleField, SmashVille, DreamLand, Distant Planet

Counterpick Only: Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), WarioWare, Final Destination, Norfair, Fountain of Dreams, Skyworld

What to Bring

-Bring your own controller!

-SETUPS!!! We need as many setups (TV, console, game disc, save data with all characters and stages) as possible to make this event run smoothly! If you have it (even if you don’t have all of it), bring it! (Make sure all Melee setups include a CRT TV, as any other TV will cause input lag).

-Money and ID for consumables. This is a Dave and Buster's after all!

NOTABLE PLAYERS CONFIRMED SO FAR:
  • [A]rmada
  • Mew2King
  • PC Chris
  • Westballz
  • Zero
  • MOR Axe
  • Forward
  • Tai

Last edited:

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Saving post for questions and list of confirmed notable players and other information!
-DD

Thorizard

Smash Rookie
I feel that customs make the game much more offensive and fast-paced. If this is true, should we not consider a 3 stock/8 minute ruleset? It will certainly give players much more time to get acquainted with the ruleset, and it will also give the customs meta the time it needs to show its full potential. Any possibility there?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I feel that customs make the game much more offensive and fast-paced. If this is true, should we not consider a 3 stock/8 minute ruleset? It will certainly give players much more time to get acquainted with the ruleset, and it will also give the customs meta the time it needs to show its full potential. Any possibility there?
Unfortunately not! We have recently announced the addition of custom movesets to the singles competitions, but a tournament this size should serve as preparation for EVO, so we're more or less lining up with their rules as well.
-DD

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
I for one can't wait to see Donkey Kong twisting the winds of Skyloft in grand finals.

ricky9115

Smash Cadet
NNID
MKLSP9115
Hi so do you have to pay the venue fee to enter the tournament? and also are you aloud to use other controllers other than the gamecube controller. I use the Classic controller and of course I would bring my own.

smash 4 Main: :4mario:

Secondaries: :4falcon::4rob::4sonic::4pacman:

SoapBar

Smash Cadet
Hi so do you have to pay the venue fee to enter the tournament? and also are you aloud to use other controllers other than the gamecube controller. I use the Classic controller and of course I would bring my own.

smash 4 Main: :4mario:

Secondaries: :4falcon::4rob::4sonic::4pacman:
Yes you have to pay the venue fee to enter tournaments but it doesn't carry over for tournaments. Also you can. Bring any kind of controller you want but be careful with it as it might interrupt someone game.

SableGuy

Smash Rookie
Is this a tournament that anyone can enter? Because, I would like to go to this although, my experience with tournaments is minimal. I was wondering if this is a tournament that is alright for a tournament noob.

GlendaleCyclist

Smash Rookie
Hello SmashBoard, I am a new member. I want to join this tournament. I am a casual player and just want to enter for fun. With that being said, is there anyone out here that wants to be my partner for doubles. I main Peach and not the best, but I can smash a few people online. I only have experience in Smash64, Melee, and the new one, but only for 3ds. My current win/loss record for the 3ds for glory is: 1921 wins and 689 losses, 74.25% win rate. Just looking to meet new smash players. Let's smash. Either way, if I don't find a partner, I will still enter the singles. Hit me up.

SoapBar

Smash Cadet
Hello SmashBoard, I am a new member. I want to join this tournament. I am a casual player and just want to enter for fun. With that being said, is there anyone out here that wants to be my partner for doubles. I main Peach and not the best, but I can smash a few people online. I only have experience in Smash64, Melee, and the new one, but only for 3ds. My current win/loss record for the 3ds for glory is: 1921 wins and 689 losses, 74.25% win rate. Just looking to meet new smash players. Let's smash. Either way, if I don't find a partner, I will still enter the singles. Hit me up.
I'd team if smash 4 and could go to AZ.

SSSK

Smash Rookie
Had a question but got it answered.

Last edited:

Bony Grunt

Smash Cadet
I see the registration deadline for this just ended. Would I still be able to attend as a spectator? If so, would I need to register online or just pay at the door?

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
So, what version of Smash 4 will be used? Since the patch goes into affect this Wednesday, will that be the version being used or will the use the previous, unbalanced version?

Thorizard

Smash Rookie
Hi is it possible for me to get my money refunded? I'm Dalton Davidson, and have sent multiple emails to James Woods. Is there someone else I could talk to if necessary? Attending is too much of a stress for me now.

Top Bottom