• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Apr 11, 2015] High Elevation 2 FEAT. WV's finest. Melee, PM... (Cross Lanes, WV)

Gnarly

Smash Rookie

Introduction

We are proud to present the second iteration of the premiere tournament series in Charleston, WV, High Elevation! We aim to make this an enjoyable and successful tournament series, and with this series, help WV grow into a prosperous smash scene.

Tournament Organizers: @ Gnarly Gnarly (Mitchell), @ AaronScaring AaronScaring (Aaron), @lifexlust (Zach)
Facebook event page here

West Virginia Smash Facebook group here
Registration

Registration will take place on the day of the tournament, right when you enter the building at the front desk.
IMPORTANT: There is a $5 venue fee. This fee can be discounted to $2 if you bring a full setup for Melee or PM(Gamecube/Wii, Melee/PM, and a CRT). However, if you bring a full setup for Smash for WiiU(TV [please no excessively sized TVs], WiiU/Game, and Gamecube controller adapter) we will fully discount your venue fee to $0. Only the first 10 setups (all systems included) will receive discounted venue fees.

Events
Melee Singles:
$5 entry fee
Melee Doubles: $10 per team
Project M Singles: $5 entry fee
Smash for WiiU Singles: $5 entry fee.
Venue
The venue is at AFK Games in Cross Lanes, West Virginia. The address is 134 Goff Mountain Rd Suite 2, Cross Lanes, WV 25313
Schedule (tentative)

**NEW SCHEDULE**
11:00am Doors open, registration opens
12:00pm Melee Doubles/WiiU Singles
3:00pm PM Singles
5:30pm Melee pools
8:00pm Melee bracket

We will allow attendees to enter whatever brackets they want, but keep in mind, if you enter both Melee Doubles and WiiU singles, there will be some overlap.

Rules
Melee:
Melee will abide by the APEX Ruleset.

Project M:
These will be the same rules that were present at Apex 2014

Project M 3.0 Rulest

* 4 stock, 8 minutes.

* Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.

* Items set to “off” and “none.”

* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.

* Dave’s Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick any stage he won on in a set.

* Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can’t be agreed upon. For doubles, the controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.

* For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.

* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.

* Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter.

* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.

* If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon’s side-B, Kirby/DDD’s swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.

* Buffer set to off.

* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.

* Custom music is allowed as long as it’s not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.

* If you want to use your own SD card, a TO must overwrite the important game files (not music) in order to make sure there are no modifications. If you are caught cheating with modified game files, you will be immediately DQed without refund and banned from future events.

* In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO’s discretion.

* No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs’ Rising Pound and Mario’s Up-B Walljump)

* No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn’t hold up the next match.

* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.

* Giga Bowser is banned.

Stagelist:

For the 1st match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-1 fashion. After each match, the winner of the previous match bans 3 stages (Players may counterpick a stage that they previously banned in the set, but may not counterpick a stage on which they won). The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.

Starters:

Battlefield

Smashville

Pokemon Stadium 2

Dreamland (64)

Green Hill Zone

Counterpicks:

Battlefield

Final Destination

Smashville

Pokemon Stadium 2

Dreamland (64)

Yoshi’s Story (Melee) (singles only)

Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)

Wario Ware

3.5 Norfair

Green Hill Zone

Smash for WiiU: Smash for WiiU will abide by the APEX 2015 ruleset.

A. Game Settings
● Stock and time are set to 2 stock and 6 minutes for Singles
● Stock and time are set to 3 stock and 8 minutes for Doubles
● Custom Fighters are set to off
● Mii Fighters are legal. Each setup will have 1111 Mii
Brawlers/Swordsmen/Gunners available for use (Using Default A Mii). No
other specials for Mii Fighters will be allowed. Players are not allowed to
transfer existing Miis to a setup.
B. Stage List
Starter Stages
● Battlefield
● Final Destination
● Smashville
Counterpick Stages
● Castle Siege
● Delfino Plaza
● Duck Hunt
● Halberd
● Kongo Jungle 64 (Doubles only)
● Lylat Cruise
● Town & City
● Omega Stages*
* Treated as Final Destination in banning phase. If Final Destination is banned,
Omega Stages are banned and vice versa.
C. Additional Rules
● Stage Striking: The player with port priority strikes one stage from the
Starter Stage list. Then the other player strikes one stage and the
remaining stage is used for the first match.
● Stage Clause: A player/team may not pick any stage they previously won
on during the set.
● Stage Bans: During the stage ban phase, the player who won the
previous game may ban 2 stages from either the Starter or Counterpick
lists.
● SelfDestruct Moves: If a match ends with the successful use of a
character’s selfdestruct move, the player that initiated the self destruct
move wins the match regardless of what the results screen states.
Selfdestruct moves include only Ganondorf’s SideB, King Dedede’s
NeutralB, Wario’s NeutralB, and Kirby’s NeutralB.
● Team Colors: Players’ character colors must match their team's color
when possible, to avoid confusion (ex: Luigi on the green team must use
the green costume).
● Alternate Controllers: The Wii U Gamepad, Nintendo 3DS, and
Nintendo 2DS are banned from use as controllers. All other controllers are
acceptable for this event.
● Bowser Jr’s Clown Car Glitch: If the Bowser Jr.’s Clown Car Glitch
happens, players are to pause the match and call a TO or a referee over
to confirm the glitch has happened. Once confirmed, players will reset the
match to the same stocks and get as close to the percents as they had
when the Glitch took place. (The Bowser Jr. Clown Car Glitch happens
when the car respawns after using Up B right before the player loses their
stock. The character starts to teleport around, also hit boxes and
animations for Bowser Jr. change.)

PAYOUTS
-Singles-
1st: 60%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 10%
4th: 5%

-Doubles-
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

FOOD
  • AFK Games will have drinks (Soda, Water, Energy drinks) available for purchase as well as snacks!
  • Pizza Hut next to venue (possible 10%-20% discount on day of High Elevation)
  • Subway within 5 minute walking distance
  • Taco Bell within 5 minute walking distance
  • Speedway (gas station) within 5 minute walking distance
  • Wendy's within 5 minute walking distance (must cross street)
  • Gomart (gas station) across the street from venue
  • Rice Bowl (Chinese restaurant) within 5 minute walking distance
  • McDonalds within 5 minute drive of venue
  • Arby's within 5 minute drive of venue
  • Burger King within 5 minute drive of venue

Last edited:

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
Gimme some footage of Smash 4 from Charleston so I know what I'm up against, guys!

AaronScaring

Smash Apprentice
Yo man, make it happen if you can. I know Melee has always been the most beloved title by the majority, but try to help the bud flower instead of cutting it.
we literally just had our first smash 4 tournament in charleston last week. It takes time. And we don't have a capture card capable of HDMI.

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
Ah, alrighty. I thought you all had been having them for a bit, my apologies.

Rend4125

Smash Cadet
NNID
Billiam4125
this place is like, 5 hours away from me so im wondering if the drive is going to be worth it for smash 4. or if theres only gonna be like 15 entrants for it or something. any predictions?

Gnarly

Smash Rookie
this place is like, 5 hours away from me so im wondering if the drive is going to be worth it for smash 4. or if theres only gonna be like 15 entrants for it or something. any predictions?
I say a modest prediction is about 24 entrants for Smash 4. I'm not sure since this will be our first statewide event, that isn't a weekly, to have smash 4. Lots of interest in-state though.

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
What were our numbers for Melee last year? Let's compare those to the averages across the state (low-mid 20's in Motown, for example) to get an estimate.

Gnarly

Smash Rookie
What were our numbers for Melee last year? Let's compare those to the averages across the state (low-mid 20's in Motown, for example) to get an estimate.
It was like 25 for Melee. we have about 40 confirmed for total entrants on the event page, plus some maybes that I think are gonna end up going. Lots of people play multiple games too, so I'm expecting a solid turnout.

Beegs009

Smash Apprentice
By anychance would anyone be willing to house me and my homies for this? I would be the night of the tournament. I don't really want to drive back another 4 hrs in the same day.

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
Hey, if I bring a Smash 4 and some AV cables, would that count or no? I don't have a monitor to bring. Would also bring a TV, of course.

Last edited:

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
Do you all have some extra monitors, then? Or someone who could bring one that doesn't have Smash 4? If not, I'm cool with not bringing my setup. Don't wanna bring it if people won't wanna play on an SDTV.

AaronScaring

Smash Apprentice
Do you all have some extra monitors, then? Or someone who could bring one that doesn't have Smash 4? If not, I'm cool with not bringing my setup. Don't wanna bring it if people won't wanna play on an SDTV.
OHHHH I see what you mean. I don't really have a problem with it. If anything you could bring it for friendlies.

Dopplegamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dopplegamer211
3DS FC
4554-0398-0942
Holy crap, a Tourney in the Appalachia area? How have I not known about this? I'm totally going to be there.

Gnarly

Smash Rookie
updated the schedule for the event. This Saturday! HYYPPPEEE

Top Bottom