• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

R3ZNOVV

Smash Rookie
Something i'd like to see with Chrom in is a final smash where all of the shepherds come on screen and basically do a massive wave attack that goes all the way across the stage!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Something i'd like to see with Chrom in is a final smash where all of the shepherds come on screen and basically do a massive wave attack that goes all the way across the stage!
Welcome to Smashboards! You picked a great thread to make your first post in. ;)

Also, this is just a thought I've been having. Similar to how Greninja's trailer also included Charizard, would anyone be opposed to Chrom's hypothetical trailer including Ike at the start? I feel this would be awesome, as it would stop a lot of the "Chrom definitely replaced Ike" BS before it got even worse. It's kind of a win-win on that front. :D

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Welcome to Smashboards! You picked a great thread to make your first post in. ;)

Also, this is just a thought I've been having. Similar to how Greninja's trailer also included Charizard, would anyone be opposed to Chrom's hypothetical trailer including Ike at the start? I feel this would be awesome, as it would stop a lot of the "Chrom definitely replaced Ike" BS before it got even worse. It's kind of a win-win on that front. :D
Sounds interesting.

Also, what do you guys think of the Chorus Men leak from the same source that correctly gave us Mega Man, the Villager and the Wii Fit Trainer? You know, considering that if the Chorus Men ends up being confirmed, that would mean the others that were also supposedly leaked along him would be confirmed, which includes Chrom.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sounds interesting.

Also, what do you guys think of the Chorus Men leak from the same source that correctly gave use Mega Man, the Villager and the Wii Fit Trainer? You know, considering that if the Chorus Men ends up being confirmed, that would mean the others that were also supposedly leaked along him would be confirmed, which includes Chrom.
I'm still keeping skeptical about it. If it happens, that's great, because then Chrom and Palutena (two of the three newcomers left that I really want) are in. Miis would disappoint me, though. Then I'd just hope K. Rool makes it.

Until it's proven (ie, Chorus Men get revealed [and one of them better be a bass...]), I'm keeping skeptical.

DoubleN

Smash Rookie
I think the inclusion of Chrom in SSB4 is highly likely considering the past trends with Roy/Ike and the inclusion of the FE:A trophies in the last Sakurai hype train announcement. I'd love to see some sort of weapon switching system (maybe like Pit's in Brawl) but honestly I would be happy with Chrom being included in any way, shape, or form!

Jackson

Smash Lord
I think the inclusion of Chrom in SSB4 is highly likely considering the past trends with Roy/Ike and the inclusion of the FE:A trophies in the last Sakurai hype train announcement. I'd love to see some sort of weapon switching system (maybe like Pit's in Brawl) but honestly I would be happy with Chrom being included in any way, shape, or form!
My thoughts exactly.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I really like the idea of Chrom playable in Smash! It will be wonderful! But I need to admit, I really miss Roy :urg:
Project M doesn't count to me....

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

YES! PLEASE! (Unless Ike is revealed this month for FE anniversary super month, but I find that unlikely since they've given us so much.)

Still, that would be the BEST way to have Chrom's trailer. In fact, just have he and Ike fight it out. That would be the greatest!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
A situation like that would turn the inclusion from being hated to being... lukewarm?

I don't know, the confirmation of Ike won't exactly make the inclusion of Chrom more positive, just less hated.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
A situation like that would turn the inclusion from being hated to being... lukewarm?

I don't know, the confirmation of Ike won't exactly make the inclusion of Chrom more positive, just less hated.
I want Chrom, but I don't want Ike to go, so I would certainly be satisfied that the "Well looks like Chrom is replacing Ike" people would shut the hell up. I'll bet you wouldn't mind that part of it, either.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I want Chrom, but I don't want Ike to go, so I would certainly be satisfied that the "Well looks like Chrom is replacing Ike" people would shut the hell up. I'll bet you wouldn't mind that part of it, either.
I wouldn't mind that part.

It's just that, unless they go bat **** crazy with Chrom, I feel as though the reception would be rather lukewarm. However, if Ike doesn't return, Chrom is going to become a big replacement scrappy regardless on how he's implemented. In general, the lukewarm reception would be the brighter scenario then the outright hatred.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So essentially, you think the best way to handle Chrom if he were to be in, reception-wise, is to put him in an MvC-style tag team with Lucina?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So essentially, you think the best way to handle Chrom if he were to be in, reception-wise, is to put him in an MvC-style tag team with Lucina?
Unfortunately, that is not really an option anymore.

Remember, transforming characters are no longer being used, which means if you want to go with a tag team route it's pretty much going to be either Zato Rosalina or Ice Climbers. Though, I'm not exactly keen on that route to begin, in fact I was hesitant on that route despite having some originality going for it due to the nature of those type of characters being game breakers. Same thing could be said for the stance moveset.

Now, I'm expecting him to try and forge his own style through more vanilla means. Which is easier said and done.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As long as Ike stays in, and Chrom is at least a little different from him, I feel as if most people will be neutral.

As much as I like Chrom, I would rather him only get in if Ike stayed. There's no reason to cut Ike.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah... I know it's possible, but it really bugs me when I see people constantly cutting Ike from their rosters (Before even Wolf, Falco, etc.) because Roy was cut from Brawl, without considering any reasons why. It's just "Oh, looks like there's a big Fire Emblem trend. Blah blah flavor of the month, blah blah paird with Marth, blah blah reasons."

It's not a trend if it only happened once, and evidence suggests Roy was planned. Regardless of how early or late he was cut in the planning process, he was considered, which means he wasn't outright dropped, especially for Ike. Alot of work was obviously put into getting Ike into the game on his own merits. He's completely unique from Marth and would likely be completely unique from Chrom. What exactly is similar between Falchion and Ragnell? Nothing.

Why is Ike always the target? Why would Sakurai exclude Ike, when he's trying to make this roster as unique as possible? What's not unique about Ike, I ask these people? His counter? Oh, I guess Little Mac's just a clone of Marth too.

:facepalm:

Igneous42

Smash Ace

The inclusion of Chrom won't be hated in the first place. There is just a very vocal minority on Smashboards who don't like him. 99% of players will be indifferent or like him. Sure that vocal minority will *****, but they will get over it.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I'd really like to see Chrom in Smash. I'd be happy with Lucina too, or another FE:A newcomer but Chrom is my personal pick.

Either way, we already have the Arena Ferox stage, so maybe we'll be seeing one?

Jackson

Smash Lord
I'd really like to see Chrom in Smash. I'd be happy with Lucina too, or another FE:A newcomer but Chrom is my personal pick.

Either way, we already have the Arena Ferox stage, so maybe we'll be seeing one?
I've said this before, and again, IMO Arena Ferox is a sure indication we'll be getting some Awakening character.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The inclusion of Chrom won't be hated in the first place. There is just a very vocal minority on Smashboards who don't like him. 99% of players will be indifferent or like him. Sure that vocal minority will *****, but they will get over it.
1) Smashboards being the entire internet confirmed.
2) The reception is going to be lukewarm at best. We're not talking Sonic the Hedgehog here, we're talking Chrom.
3)If Chrom does get in over Ike and he's as uninspired as possible, he can easily be the least liked newcomer.
4)99% is way too bold of a percentage.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
2) The reception is going to be lukewarm at best. We're not talking Sonic the Hedgehog here, we're talking Chrom.
3)If Chrom does get in over Ike and he's as uninspired as possible, he can easily be the least liked newcomer.
1) Most of the internet likes what is newer. That's a big reason why they were all so passionate about Ghirahim, Zoroark, Rosalina, Dillon, Prince Fluff, etc when they were new. Chrom falls under that umbrella, I'd say most people actually would like to see him.
2) No character can match Sonic. If the reception to Greninja can be more than lukewarm at best, it sure can be for a character with an actual notable amount of support pre-confirmation.
3) I doubt any character people actually wanted to see, predicted would be seen, and is from a highly popular game, who then experiences the additional popularity boost of becoming playable will wind up as the least liked, even if he does replace Ike. I can see some people hating him, sure, but considering many do want to see him, considering Sakurai does seem to be going the extra mile to ensure diversity, I doubt Chrom will wind up more disliked than liked in general.
4) I agree. But I don't think it'll be any less than like... 90%. Confirmations do wonders at evaporating previous dislike.

I don't want to see Chrom either, but we can't act as if his inclusion is going to become some loathed event by the masses.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I will agree that if Ike doesn't get in and Chrom does, he's pretty much doomed to be a Replacement Scrappy for some, similar to when Lucario "replaced" Mewtwo. However, I think that if both get in, Chrom will overall get a positive reception.

Hey how do I get my name on the Supporter list?
Adding now!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I will agree that if Ike doesn't get in and Chrom does, he's pretty much doomed to be a Replacement Scrappy for some, similar to when Lucario "replaced" Mewtwo. However, I think that if both get in, Chrom will overall get a positive reception.
Chrom may also get criticism if he is an uninspiring clone like in a vein to Toon Link.

There are two beasts to handle, him not being picked over Ike and him forging his own identity instead of stealing another. The latter part is probably going to be the most tricky due to the fact his design is inspired by both Marth and Ike, which naturally leads to the issue people have with the uninspiring aspects. Hence why Chrom may need to have some sort of gimmick on his head in order to make him feel fresh, but unfortunately certain ideas thrown around here took a bit of a hit with the aspect of any transforming characters gone.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still think Chrom can get away with being unique from the other two if they were to give him a more I don't know...athletic approach? Does that make any sense to anybody other than myself?

Like give him some spins and stuff. Like that cutscene. I know I always talk about that. But It's something that (besides Aether) neither of the other two actually do. I mean as long as Chrom's swordplay is different he should be okay. But the tough part is managing that. If he IS in the game, I won't be worried, because I simply can't see Sakurai blatantly replacing Ike by giving Chrom his moveset. That would be simply stupid and foolish.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
What if Chrom stole Roy's mechanic (sweetspot on the base of the sword for all attacks) as well as many leaping attacks to help land the sweetspot?

Would that be flavorful enough. Would it feel like Chrom?

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What if Chrom stole Roy's mechanic (sweetspot on the base of the sword for all attacks) as well as many leaping attacks to help land the sweetspot?

Would that be flavorful enough. Would it feel like Chrom?
Chrom would probably need a moveset that complements a play style like that. The most important aspect is having options to lure the opponent in range into the hitbox. Like as a basic example, having a jab that transitions into him swinging his sword towards himself that can then be synced into a smash attack.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
1. Wow didn't know you spoke for the whole internet, not that it would even matter if you did because the majority casual smash players aren't out posting on forums discussing Smash Bros on a regular basis. Even if they did you'd still be wrong though, plenty of people like Chrom, both on Smash Boards and other forums he has plenty of supporters. Stop acting like the vocal minority represents everyone's opinion.

2.Comparing his reception vs sonic is silly, the result would be the same for literally every single potential new FE character. FE isn't a huge franchise, no character in the series would even come close to generating as much hype as Sonic did. If anything though Awakening popularity would mean more people would actually appreciate him based on having actually played the game, whereas a lot of the previous FE characters Smash popularity just had to do with them being "good" or fun to play.

3.This statement is a complete argument fallacy in the first place. You're assuming because YOU think Chrom is boring that he will be. Because you can't think of how he can be unique Sakurai can't either. Obviously a silly notion, but even so it's a moot point. Simple fact is, gimmick or no, if he's fun to play people will like him. Heck look at the Star Fox crew, people complain about them all sharing a final smash but overall all three are popular characters, and none of them relied on a gimmick to differentiate themselves. No reason that couldn't happen for Fire Emblem as well. Not that things like "least liked newcomer" are really even measurable in any capacity.

But really all your points are based on IFs and not anything factual, which obviously mine are too but I'm not jumping in people's support threads ******** about a character I don't like just cause I can. How about before we start complaining about how boring Chrom "Might" be we wait till if/when he is revealed. As N3ON said as soon as a character is revealed most people's complaints and dislikes will go by the wayside, and it will once again just be a vocal minority who is sad a character they wanted didn't get in instead obnoxiously complaining.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Actually now that several of the characters I want aren't going to get in, I want to give Chrom more leeway. But at the same time anyone claiming Chrom is the most original character ever and it's impossible for him to have relations to his colleges is sort of asking to be punched in the groin. Also anyone saying the criticisms aren't justified at all aren't exactly keeping an open mind and considering the criticisms. It's mainly an archetype sort of mentality, not anything petty like he wields a sword and has blue hair (though it's not a help either).

Like, one criticism I have is the ability to use a lance. Now from a gameplay prospective, you got to think on how utilizing a lance for a certain attack or two will benefit Chrom. Like for example, will it compensate for Chrom having low range? Will it help Chrom space? What exactly are the weapons properties like range, speed, power? Similarly, using the Shield of Seals. How exactly is it used, and how will it benefit Chrom's playstyle? Will it be a shield similar to Pit's Mirror Shield from Super Smash Bros. Brawl and block attacks in front of Chrom, or will it be used for more offensive measures that gives Chrom insurance for approaching? Also will the Falchion sport it's own characteristics compared to other weapons of it's ilk?

Likewise, there's the playstyle itself. For comparison, Marth is an agile fighter who despite his simplistic moveset has the utilities in both the ground and the air to both set up and kill the opponent because of his long disjointed reach, fast speeds, and combo ability. While is Ike is more about timing his attacks due to the nature of his sluggish yet powerful attacks, with effective edge guarding, jab, and long reach. Like for example, making Chrom a balanced character is one option, but then you've got to consider how that is handled. Is the playstyle like Sol Badguy where Chrom will have averaged out stats but have a reliance on rush down tactics, or is he a user friendly character that's versatile enough to swap between defensive and offensive options on the fly like Ky Kiske?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Who was claiming Chrom would be the most original character ever and/or it'd be impossible for him to save similarities to the other FE characters?

I think (and hope) most people would agree that neither of those things is true.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Something important to note is that (I'm fairly sure I heard this somewhere) Sakurai wants to cut down on clones. I really don't think he's gonna be exactly like Ike.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Sheik came back, there's no excuse to cut Ike at all!

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
If Sheik came back, there's no excuse to cut Ike at all!
You are the only one who expected Sheik to be cut. A lot of people expect Ike to be cut. I don't think these things are similar at all.
But I agree that Ike being cut is stupid idea.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
After the Direct and seeing Villager and Megaman's final smash as well as Lyn back as an AT, I get the strong feeling that Chrom's final smash is going to involve Lucina. I really liked the idea of Chrom and Lucina being a tag team but with transformation characters disconfirmed, that's no longer going to happen.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
After the Direct and seeing Villager and Megaman's final smash as well as Lyn back as an AT, I get the strong feeling that Chrom's final smash is going to involve Lucina. I really liked the idea of Chrom and Lucina being a tag team but with transformation characters disconfirmed, that's no longer going to happen.
Y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if his Final Smash was Pair Up. Lucina shows up, and mirrors his attacks, either controlled or cinematic, and then deals a finishing blow and leaves.

That seems appropriate.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
So, I've always wanted Lucina much more than Chrom, but when that "leak" (aka concept image/fake) of Chrom popped up on the internet, I realized how actually happy I would be with Chrom getting in. I LOVE Fire Emblem, and I really liked Awakening.. I'm still holding out for and really want Ike, but if Chrom gets in (even over everyone else), I'd still be super pumped.

This would be awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom