• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I keep seeing people in other threads saying Chrom was 'cut from the roster'.... Can someone tell me why people think this? Sakurai clearly stated that he considered Chrom, but went with Robin. Being considered for the roster is completely different than being in the roster and then cut from it.
Because Chrom fanboys are trying to manipulate others into supporting him by twisting words around.

Hearing a that a character was 'only considered' is way less persuasive sounding than 'he was cut', because the latter gives the impression that the character was actually being developed/coded but ended up being scrapped, so it gives the feeling he has potential to appear as DLC since he has existing data within the game already.

Remigrated

Smash Rookie
This isn't exactly true. Chrom has always been one of the most popular characters from Awakening, and it sounds like he was the first character Sakurai considered to represent the game. However, he found Chrom to be somewhat unoriginal and too similar to Marth and Ike, so he decided to go with Robin, a character just as important to the game as Chrom who had much more unique potential than Chrom and could better represent Fire Emblem as a whole. Popularity had little to do with it. Sakurai just decided to go with the character he believed to be the best choice.
if he wanted to be more original with his choice of characters in an attempt to stay away from the "blue-haired swordfighter" trope, then I still question why he chose Lucina as a last-minute addition (who, to me, seems to be just an easier Marth, not that I have anything against Marth.) I enjoy Robin being in the game as he's unique and unlike other fighters in the SSB series. I just feel like Sakurai tossed Chrom out the window too quickly, disregarding any potential he had as the main character of Fire Emblem: Awakening and using a character with an easy-to-plot-out moveset. I do appreciate Robin, I just find it distasteful to think of Chrom as just another swordfighter and deconfirm him without a second thought.

regarding popularity, Chrom seems to rarely ever be in the top three favorite characters of FE:A in most "what are your top x characters?" discussions. from what I've seen, anyway. it feels like, since Robin and Lucina and relatively more popular, they would receive fewer negative views from SSB fans, as opposed to Chrom who isn't really in anyone's top three.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Just like his stance on Villager in Brawl?
Get rekt.
Also, chrom was not cut, but it's clear he was considered. Sakurai just had a tougher time coming up with a unique moveset compared to the more unique looking robin. That said, it shows that sakurai knows he characters importance and popularity.

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
Get rekt.
Also, chrom was not cut, but it's clear he was considered. Sakurai just had a tougher time coming up with a unique moveset compared to the more unique looking robin. That said, it shows that sakurai knows he characters importance and popularity.
Yep. Today's pic made me confused though. Sakurai said he gave Robin Nosferatu (Something that Robin doesn't even use) to make the character unique. Doesn't Chrom's falchion heal him when he deals damage? Correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a while since I touched Awakening. My point here is that if he can give Robin unique abilities then he can give them to Chrom as well. But like you said, Chrom takes longer than Robin to be made unique and Sakurai didn't have the time.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Yep. Today's pic made me confused though. Sakurai said he gave Robin Nosferatu (Something that Robin doesn't even use) to make the character unique. Doesn't Chrom's falchion heal him when he deals damage? Correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a while since I touched Awakening. My point here is that if he can give Robin unique abilities then he can give them to Chrom as well. But like you said, Chrom takes longer than Robin to be made unique and Sakurai didn't have the time.
The self healing is actually a big part of one of the proposed movesets! So yes, chrom can heal himself with it in FEA

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
The thing is, though, Robin can use all types of magic except dark magic. Robin represents everything about Awakening PERFECTLY except dark magic. So Sakurai gave Robin nosferatu to fill that little gap. He didn't give it to him to make him unique, nosferatu is only one of his moves.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
More asks for the community! I'll be posting the answers a little after midnight, just like last time. Some of these aren't really questions, but responses are appreciated regardless.

"Only other person that is more popular than Chrom is Lucina. Male!Robin ranks lower than his Female counterpart is Robin."

"I just had a dream where in the reveal trailer after Lucina was showing off her fighting skills, Chrom got up and has tagline popped up saying "CHROM AWAKENS" He started showing off his moves as well."

"Oh Chrom, if you wasn't apart of a FS. I don't really like the whole pair up FS for Robin. I was hoping that be more of Lucina's final smash while Robin gets to Summon Grima. Chrom should have the Exalted Falchion in his FS."

"People think that Sakurai find Chrom uninteresting in that interview, but to me, seems like he was interested but was approaching the deadline and it would take more time to make Chrom unique than Robin, who was already unique in the first place."

"Let's talk about Sakurai's hypocrisy in today's pic. He gave Robin Nosferatu, that the avatar doesn't even use to make the them more unique. Now how come he can't give Chrom any unique abilities? Especially when his falchion could do the same thing."

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
"Let's talk about Sakurai's hypocrisy in today's pic. He gave Robin Nosferatu, that the avatar doesn't even use to make the them more unique. Now how come he can't give Chrom any unique abilities? Especially when his falchion could do the same thing."

And look what's being discussed now.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
EDIT: thought I was in a different thread! Whoops! Read my post from a couple mins ago in regards to your statement/question
Anyway, he's done this before. Ness and Lucas' powers were almost ALL stolen from Paula. So it's not like smash being non-canon isn't normal.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
More asks for the community! I'll be posting the answers a little after midnight, just like last time. Some of these aren't really questions, but responses are appreciated regardless.

"Only other person that is more popular than Chrom is Lucina. Male!Robin ranks lower than his Female counterpart is Robin."

"I just had a dream where in the reveal trailer after Lucina was showing off her fighting skills, Chrom got up and has tagline popped up saying "CHROM AWAKENS" He started showing off his moves as well."

"Oh Chrom, if you wasn't apart of a FS. I don't really like the whole pair up FS for Robin. I was hoping that be more of Lucina's final smash while Robin gets to Summon Grima. Chrom should have the Exalted Falchion in his FS."

"People think that Sakurai find Chrom uninteresting in that interview, but to me, seems like he was interested but was approaching the deadline and it would take more time to make Chrom unique than Robin, who was already unique in the first place."

On the uninteresting remark; that's exactly what I feel. Sakurai looked into chrom and just didn't have the proper time, especially when robin was right there.
On the hypocrisy remark: remember that's just one move, and it was easier to visualize it for robin apparently. That said, chrom clearly can have potential, especially since he can be non canon.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
EDIT: thought I was in a different thread! Whoops! Read my post from a couple mins ago in regards to your statement/question
Anyway, he's done this before. Ness and Lucas' powers were almost ALL stolen from Paula. So it's not like smash being non-canon isn't normal.
It's not even that much of a stretch for Robin to use dark magic, for two reasons. One, Robin can potentially be a dark mage and use dark magic, and even then, Robin uses magic by default. Dark magic just happens to be rather exclusive in Awakening. Two, Robin has dark blood in him/her due to being the vessel for Grima, and being the child of a dark sorcerer. I don't think it's unreasonable for Robin to be able to use some of that dark heritage to his/her advantage.

And of course, nosferatu is not the only thing that makes him/her unique. That would be the unique mechanic implemented in the tomes and Levin sword he/she wields. Nosferatu is just one move Sakurai wanted to incorporate into Robin; I don't believe he is a hypocrite for doing so.

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
Saying it's hypocrisy is over exaggeration. Even if he gave Robin a lot of unique moves that has absolutely nothing to do with the character.

Sonicdude234

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0576-5109-7228

Oh I see. I never really looked into the popularity rankings.

That would be freaking awesome. I like that.

Robin Summoning Grima? Oh god. That would be terrifying. With Chrom, I can see your point of view.

Hm...I suppose. Robin has alot of flexability when it comes to his abilities. I can say that for sure.

Yeah I noticed this too. Using the game logic, Robin can't use it. But Chrom's Falchion can heal you if you use it. Not technically the same thing..but same concept.

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
It's not even that much of a stretch for Robin to use dark magic, for two reasons. One, Robin can potentially be a dark mage and use dark magic, and even then, Robin uses magic by default. Dark magic just happens to be rather exclusive in Awakening. Two, Robin has dark blood in him/her due to being the vessel for Grima, and being the child of a dark sorcerer. I don't think it's unreasonable for Robin to be able to use some of that dark heritage to his/her advantage.

And of course, nosferatu is not the only thing that makes him/her unique. That would be the unique mechanic implemented in the tomes and Levin sword he/she wields. Nosferatu is just one move Sakurai wanted to incorporate into Robin; I don't believe he is a hypocrite for doing so.
It sounds like the asker is putting up a counterpoint against Sakurai's argument of Chrom not having any unique properties. He's saying that the whole "dealing damage while healing" concept could've been used for Chrom since he could do that in Awakening and Robin can't.

Last edited:

Remigrated

Smash Rookie
"Only other person that is more popular than Chrom is Lucina. Male!Robin ranks lower than his Female counterpart is Robin." - are there any examples of this I can see? legit question, not trying to be sassy.

"I just had a dream where in the reveal trailer after Lucina was showing off her fighting skills, Chrom got up and has tagline popped up saying "CHROM AWAKENS" He started showing off his moves as well." - that'd be kinda cool actually. however, in the video, he states that he'll "get his chance another day." this is responded with the fact that he is added to Robin's FS. so I doubt that he'll make a comeback.

"Oh Chrom, if you wasn't apart of a FS. I don't really like the whole pair up FS for Robin. I was hoping that be more of Lucina's final smash while Robin gets to Summon Grima. Chrom should have the Exalted Falchion in his FS." - sure, that'd actually be awesome.

"People think that Sakurai find Chrom uninteresting in that interview, but to me, seems like he was interested but was approaching the deadline and it would take more time to make Chrom unique than Robin, who was already unique in the first place." - I suppose this is why we're asking Sakurai for a second chance, really.

"Let's talk about Sakurai's hypocrisy in today's pic. He gave Robin Nosferatu, that the avatar doesn't even use to make the them more unique. Now how come he can't give Chrom any unique abilities? Especially when his falchion could do the same thing." - supposedly he didn't have enough time to create a unique moveset for Chrom. honestly, Chrom could have just been a reskin and I'd be fine. I just don't want him to be a clone, or an FS. /picky picky picky

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
"Only other person that is more popular than Chrom is Lucina. Male!Robin ranks lower than his Female counterpart is Robin." - are there any examples of this I can see? legit question, not trying to be sassy.

"I just had a dream where in the reveal trailer after Lucina was showing off her fighting skills, Chrom got up and has tagline popped up saying "CHROM AWAKENS" He started showing off his moves as well." - that'd be kinda cool actually. however, in the video, he states that he'll "get his chance another day." this is responded with the fact that he is added to Robin's FS. so I doubt that he'll make a comeback.

"Oh Chrom, if you wasn't apart of a FS. I don't really like the whole pair up FS for Robin. I was hoping that be more of Lucina's final smash while Robin gets to Summon Grima. Chrom should have the Exalted Falchion in his FS." - sure, that'd actually be awesome.

"People think that Sakurai find Chrom uninteresting in that interview, but to me, seems like he was interested but was approaching the deadline and it would take more time to make Chrom unique than Robin, who was already unique in the first place." - I suppose this is why we're asking Sakurai for a second chance, really.

"Let's talk about Sakurai's hypocrisy in today's pic. He gave Robin Nosferatu, that the avatar doesn't even use to make the them more unique. Now how come he can't give Chrom any unique abilities? Especially when his falchion could do the same thing." - supposedly he didn't have enough time to create a unique moveset for Chrom. honestly, Chrom could have just been a reskin and I'd be fine. I just don't want him to be a clone, or an FS. /picky picky picky
Here is a poll that shows that Lucina (who is referred to as Marth because people actually used to care about leaking lol) is more popular than Chrom.
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/199213-fire-emblem-awakening-character-poll-results
Here is a picture of just the poll, because the site was moving slowly for me:
http://www.gonintendo.com/content/uploads/images/2013_4/top10.png

Last edited:

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
The thing is, Robin represents magic and is the tactician, something that wasn't represented in smash yet. Even with Chrom's healing falchion and lance weapon, aesthetically and ability-wise, Robin contrasts more with the rest of the cast, which is what Sakurai wanted.

Would have Chrom been a bad choice? No, but Robin had an advantage because Marth and Ike exist and the lack of a magic swordsman.
It's not really a Villager or Ridley situation, because Sakurai sees Chrom as a fighter, but not as a unique fighter that'll be liked by the smashfans. He wasn't far from getting in, which is why I hope he can make it as DLC (if Sakurai wants DLC).
Here is a poll that shows that Lucina (who is referred to as Marth because people actually used to care about leaking lol) is more popular than Chrom.
That's an interesting poll. My favorites are Tharja and Noire, but smash-wise I would pick other favorites. The lack of Priam in that poll tho.

KujoQueen

Smash Apprentice
That was just the US poll. :p The Japansese poll says otherwise... http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html
And then the Knights of Iris had Chrom/Female Avatar as the most popular pairing.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Double Post Warning Received
That's an interesting poll. My favorites are Tharja and Noire, but smash-wise I would pick other favorites. The lack of Priam in that poll tho.
It is quite interesting. I was just glad to see both Cordelia and Anna. I was surprised to see Walhart, Stahl, and Donnel, though.
Walhart is liked more than Chrom according to that poll?
Ouch.
I know, quite shocking. I personally don't really care about Walhart, and haven't really payed attention to him, so I was surprised to see him so high.

That was just the US poll. :p The Japansese poll says otherwise... http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html
And then the Knights of Iris had Chrom/Female Avatar as the most popular pairing.
The Japanese poll is separated by gender, though. So I didn't post that one, since we were comparing Lucina and Chrom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975

"Marth" is more popular than Lucina, odd. Advertizing matters.

I have curiosity for another popularity contest right now, the results could be really different. I remember both contests (Us and Jp) are pre-release.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After reading the proposed moveset in the DLC site thing whatever, I have gone from feeling pity toward Chrom to actually hoping he makes it as DLC. We can change this!

D

Deleted member

"Marth" is more popular than Lucina, odd. Advertizing matters.

I have curiosity for another popularity contest right now, the results could be really different. I remember both contests (Us and Jp) are pre-release.
Maiden, that low?

Results must be rigged.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Hey guys I'm new to the thread and haven't read up on what has been said before so I won't go into much detail on what I'm going to say just in case.

I was extremely disappointed with his exclusion, but still hope that he'll be DLC. My gripe is if Sakurai wants diversity for Fire Emblem, this being what lead to Chrom not being in, what stops him from adding another FE character to further diversify the series representation in Smash? Would fan demand be enough for Sakurai to change his mind? What do you think?

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Hey guys I'm new to the thread and haven't read up on what has been said before so I won't go into much detail on what I'm going to say just in case.

I was extremely disappointed with his exclusion, but still hope that he'll be DLC. My gripe is if Sakurai wants diversity for Fire Emblem, this being what lead to Chrom not being in, what stops him from adding another FE character to further diversify the series representation in Smash? Would fan demand be enough for Sakurai to change his mind? What do you think?
Honestly, we don't know. But we can try anyway!

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

We're not sure, but at least he was considered, so if there's DLC there's at least a chance that he's one of the DLC characters. Sakurai won't say anything about DLC until the game comes out, so we can only wait and support Chrom.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
We're not sure, but at least he was considered, so if there's DLC there's at least a chance that he's one of the DLC characters. Sakurai won't say anything about DLC until the game comes out, so we can only wait and support Chrom.
I think him being considered actually hurts his chances of dlc. Sakurai thought about putting him in, thought Robin and Lucina were better choices and went with them. Although, he could always change his mind (for some reason people think it's insane to ever consider sakurai changing his mind lol)... We'll just wait and see.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, considering he's already incorporated as part of a Final Smash, and since Sakurai already seemed to see him as a less than ideal choice, I find it unlikely that he would just decide to add Chrom in as DLC on his own. It would take quite a bit of effort to make him reconsider the whole situation.

Though I suppose that's what you all are trying to accomplish, isn't it?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Well, considering he's already incorporated as part of a Final Smash, and since Sakurai already seemed to see him as a less than ideal choice, I find it unlikely that he would just decide to add Chrom in as DLC on his own. It would take quite a bit of effort to make him reconsider the whole situation.

Well on the plus side, he already has an HD model and attacks movements (and expressions), and the whole switching Toon Link with Alfonzo when TL is playing is also extra work that he didn't really need to do.

I feel that with Robin, he didn't want to waste more time on another character from the same game, but with DLC he can but it depends on if he's willing to or not. Any character (not already in the roster) can be DLC, so I guess it'll depend on the final roster and Sakurai.

The way I see it, if there's DLC it'll be like a DLC pack with around 4 characters, stages and maybe something extra, rather than individual characters.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman

Yes exactly, bing-bong, congratulations, ding-ding-ding, You got a star!, Chapter Cleared!

Again, with all due respect, we know how hard this is going to be, we really do.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I think him being considered actually hurts his chances of dlc. Sakurai thought about putting him in, thought Robin and Lucina were better choices and went with them. Although, he could always change his mind (for some reason people think it's insane to ever consider sakurai changing his mind lol)... We'll just wait and see.
Lucina wasn't a "better choice." She was an alt skin who had nothing to do with the situation; her nearly identical aesthetic to Marth is why she is in, but they diversified her moveset a bit. Really, it seems like robin was the main choice, because he brought something obviously new; magic/sword. Chrom has that uniqueness and potential, but you gotta dig a little bit, and sakurai saw the obvious potential. I don't blame him, and I think he's an amazing developer, but it'd not like Lucina and robin kicked chrom out, robin was apparently easier to visualize and Lucina is Marth if he was a girl.

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
but you must realize two things:

first: Sakurai, the genius, was suddenly incapable of thinking up a good moveset fro Chrom after showing us stuff like Mac and the miis (simple and still different), or Palutena (taking a different idea than most, opting to use skills she didn't even use, instead of most of the stuff she did use)

second: He apparently fell in love with Robin as a fighter, see how he described everything "falling into place". He probably liked what he did and didn't even stop to consider Chrom again after not having a moveset builing itself for Chrom like what happened with Robin.

But still, he said he seriously considered Chrom, since it was " a hard decision" or something like that. Maybe he was lying, but assuming that is not the case, he must've realized that Chrom is very worthy of a SSb5 slot. He, i repeat, just was incapable of thinking up a moveset for him. That's where we come in.

Anyways, my comments were mostly ignored, but let me try it in another way: Text descriptions are ok, but screenshots, or even better, videos, would be far more efficient in showcasing Chrom's abilities.

Something like the Steam Film Maker, or Hacking brawl... those can bring good results. We ought to find someone capable of bringing Chrom to life for a while til Sakurai notices us

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I can think of a moveset.

Jab: Does three sword swipes. (The first 4 seconds of this video
is my idea of his jab attacks).

Dash Attack: He jumps forward and thrusts his sword in front of him. (0:29 of this video
)

Side Tilt: He thrusts his sword forward, similar to Roy's Forward Tilt in Project M.

Up Tilt: Jumps and swings his sword. While Robin does this move in Awakening, i don't know if he will have it in Smash 4 so i'm using it. It's pretty much like a Swordryuken.

Down Tilt: Swipes his sword kina like Marth does in his 100% ledge attack.

Up Air: Swings his sword above him.

Forward Air: Swings his sword in front of him.

Neutral Air: Spins around once with his sword. The initial strike is very powerful while the rest does pretty weak damage. (In the cutscene of the Two Falchions, Chrom does the first attack using that move)

Down Air: A Helm Breaker. If any of you play Dante or Vergil in Marvel vs Capcom 3, you should know of this move. The whole hitbox is a meteor smash.

Back Air: He thrusts his sword backwards with a stabbing from behind motion.

Forward Smash: A Jump Strike. His critical hit animation is almost always a jump strike.

Up Smash: He thrusts his sword upwards.

Down Smash. Swings his sword in front and behind him.

Standard Special: He charges his sword into becoming the Exalted Falchion. If successful, his moves do more damage. There is a time limit to this.

Side Special: Chrom moves incredibly fast in one direction while he does a sword strike. Similar to Fox Illusion. He usually does this in Awakening when he performs Aether.

Down Special: Counter.

Up Special: He rises while carrying his sword upward. Similar to Vergil's Rising Sun in UMVC3 and i think the Hero class in Awakening can pull of a similar move.

Final Smash: Exalted Strike. Chrom uses the Exalted Falchion to blaze at high speed across the stage once. Anyone hit gets 1-Hit-KOed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom