• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I support Chrom to be DLC. He's one of my favorite characters in Awakening and I think he deserves it.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Here's another ask: "Why should Chrom be a DLC character over other characters that didn't make the cut for ssb4?"

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Is this really what this thread is becoming.A what if this happened or what if this happened.Or why did they choose this character over this character.If there's is DLC maybe chrom could happen but i think the odds of Chrom ever being in gets shot everytime you look at robin.I think by the time smash 6 comes around well get Marth,Ike,Robin,[insert new fire emblem character]

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
the fact that Lucina is in the game but he isn't should be more than enough, imo.

but come on, if we are to trust sakurai, Chrom's problem was moveset, but not in the "Chrom has no potential" (though sakurai needs to grow out of that dumb mentality: everyone has potential), but rather, robin had more.

Chrom has potential to be unique, fun, and he deserves to be in smash due to his role in awakening (and the game's role in the series); especially since a less important character of the same game is
playable before him.

Oh, it's noteworthy that Sakurai has the model for Chrom ready; i heard modeling is rather expensive, so this should make Chrom "easy cash grab" when
compared to other potential choices: ATs would need better models, whereas new characters would need a model made from scratch.

Last edited:

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
I've always wondered what the reaction from the Japanese fans that Reflet got added in SSB4 instead of Chrom. Does anyone have any information on that?

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure most individuals are incredibly accepting of the Avatar character over Chrom, really. It's not like it ISN'T a smart choice.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I don't get what was so wrong with Lucina being in but Chrom not. Lucina was planned as an alt cosutme, but got bumped. What's the big deal?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Here's another ask: "Why should Chrom be a DLC character over other characters that didn't make the cut for ssb4?"
We don't really know who Sakurai would pick. It depends on which characters make it in the game and if Sakurai could find something to do with Chrom. The best we can do with gather people to support him.

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
So he couldn't think of a move set for Chrom, huh....

DOES SAKURAI EVEN MASTER SEAL!!

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
So he couldn't think of a move set for Chrom, huh....

DOES SAKURAI EVEN MASTER SEAL!!
A Master Seal doesn't change Chrom's moveset at all. A Second Seal, possibly, though it would still feel utterly wrong to have Archer Chrom, and Cavalier Chrom isn't much better.

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
A Master Seal doesn't change Chrom's moveset at all. A Second Seal, possibly, though it would still feel utterly wrong to have Archer Chrom, and Cavalier Chrom isn't much better.
When Chrom becomes a Great Lord in Awakening, he gets the power to use a lance, which most have suggested his moveset should have comprised of.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
When Chrom becomes a Great Lord in Awakening, he gets the power to use a lance, which most have suggested his moveset should have comprised of.
Which would have then had 95% of the players going "WTF happened to Falchion?".

Chrom is a sword-wielder. Every line of dialogue, every point of the story reinforces this. Falchion is his weapon. Giving him lances would not work.

Last edited:

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
Which would have then had 95% of the players going "WTF happened to Falchion?".

Chrom is a sword-wielder. Every line of dialogue, every point of the story reinforces this. Falchion is his weapon. Giving him lances would not work.
I always thought Chrom could use the Falchion for his smash attacks, and would use a spear for his specials.
He could even have a :GCB: special that would change his stance from sword to lance, which I think could differentiate him from other sword-wielders in the roster.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I always thought Chrom could use the Falchion for his smash attacks, and would use a spear for his specials.
He could even have a :GCB: special that would change his stance from sword to lance, which I think could differentiate him from other sword-wielders in the roster.
I think what happened is that Robin just fit in more smoother, having swords and magic, it was a lot more easier to make a moveset and differentiate him from Marth and Ike.
So it probably isn't even Chrom's fault. I'm sure Sakurai could think of a moveset like a lot of people that thought of the sword + lance thing.

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
I think what happened is that Robin just fit in more smoother, having swords and magic, it was a lot more easier to make a moveset and differentiate him from Marth and Ike.
So it probably isn't even Chrom's fault. I'm sure Sakurai could think of a moveset like a lot of people that thought of the sword + lance thing.
True.
I myself am still hoping Bandana Dee gets in!

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Yeah, Bandana Dee would be THE lance/spear user. And a Chrom with a weapon switching mechanic won't get in the way of him since it'll be totally different.
Nephenee is THE lance/spear user.

I really don't think there's any chance Sakurai would drop Chrom's iconic weapon. If he gets a unique spear in his next game, it's a possibility, but if not, no chance.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

I really don't think there's any chance Sakurai would drop Chrom's iconic weapon. If he gets a unique spear in his next game, it's a possibility, but if not, no chance.
Nephenee is cool and all but I barely used her. Maybe in 1 or 2 chapters. Mia is best PoR girl.

Since Lucina inherits the Falchion (I suppose), I can see Chrom using a different weapon in the future.
This is assuming Lucina goes back to her time and there's only one Falchion, but there's also the chance that there will be two Falchions. I'm not sure how time-travel will work.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Nephenee is cool and all but I barely used her. Maybe in 1 or 2 chapters. Mia is best PoR girl.

Since Lucina inherits the Falchion (I suppose), I can see Chrom using a different weapon in the future.
This is assuming Lucina goes back to her time and there's only one Falchion, but there's also the chance that there will be two Falchions. I'm not sure how time-travel will work.
It heavily impiles that she stays in the past. Also, how else would she be able to try to save Chrom from :4falcon:?

Two Big Guys For You

Smash Cadet
He's a lance user in the endgame so he wouldn't have to be a clone. Imagine a staff-user.

Also I found out the director for there will be brawl is Chrom's English VA... That's gotta suck to be delegated to a final smash.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
He's a lance user in the endgame so he wouldn't have to be a clone. Imagine a staff-user.

Also I found out the director for there will be brawl is Chrom's English VA... That's gotta suck to be delegated to a final smash.
That's why I felt so bad when Chrom was cut. It's obvious that Matthew Mercer is a huge Super Smash Bros fan.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
you don't know what you missed. one of the best units in both games

I don't get what was so wrong with Lucina being in but Chrom not. Lucina was planned as an alt cosutme, but got bumped. What's the big deal?
regardless of your opinion on who is the protagonist and deuteragonist, one thing is unquestionable: Lucina is less notable than both Chrom and Robin due to being the Tritagonist.

It's ridiculous to have her playable when Chrom is not. The logic behind her roster spot is fine, but it still stands that she was ghoing to be playable as an alt anyways.

i agree with skyblade

the problem with the Lance-switch idea people like to throw around is that Robin does weapon switching in the exact same way, and if we were to make Chrom more unique, he'd have to use the Lance more than the falchion. Besides a 1-2 side-b, if Chrom is to have weapon switching, he needs to have a "sidegrade" system instead of an "upgrade" system like Robin's.

with that mindset, the Falchion isn't dropped nor really outclassed, but it can simply be switched to a weapon more fit to your situation or playstyle (IMO that's a better representation of weapon switching in FE than what we have so far, which doesn't mean we got bad representation regarding that, btw).

Lance representation should really be relegated to Javelins (with spear and possibly hand axe custom moves). It's the one who also makes the most sense due to Chrom being previously mono-sword (of all lances, the 1-2 ones are the ones you are more likely to use due to the Levin sword sucking for chrom) and is generally what would be more unique gameplay-wise. Actually, since it's a projectile, it would add far more to chrom's game than what a melee lance would, most likely.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Regardless of whether you personally think Lucina is more deserving than Chrom or not, there is no point in detractors complaining about her at this point because no amounts of complaints is going to change Lucina being playable whilst Chrom isn't. (for the record, I would not have minded Chrom being playable and I'd be all like "Hmm, Chrom is playable and Robin/Lucina isn't? Okay." had the Gematsu leak actually been true and that we had gotten Chrom as the sole Awakening character, but that's a whole different matter).

Lucina's still a good character, though.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Regardless of whether you personally think Lucina is more deserving than Chrom or not, there is no point in detractors complaining about her at this point because no amounts of complaints is going to change Lucina being playable whilst Chrom isn't. (for the record, I would not have minded Chrom being playable and I'd be all like "Hmm, Chrom is playable and Robin/Lucina isn't? Okay." had the Gematsu leak actually been true and that we had gotten Chrom as the sole Awakening character, but that's a whole different matter).

Lucina's still a good character, though.
that is the whole point of this movement. getting chrom to DLC via our voices being heard.

i mean, going back to what the recent question was; Chrom has importance, a good amount of popularity, and was considered even when Sakruai didn't see potential... his model is very detailed (so one of the big expenses of making a new character is greatly reduced, they'd only really need to design the non-Falchion weapons he may have, maybe modify the texture to look better). If Sakurai has extra time to see the potential in Chrom, i'm sure he is one of the most likely DLC characters that aren't cut veterans

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
you don't know what you missed. one of the best units in both games

regardless of your opinion on who is the protagonist and deuteragonist, one thing is unquestionable: Lucina is less notable than both Chrom and Robin due to being the Tritagonist.

It's ridiculous to have her playable when Chrom is not. The logic behind her roster spot is fine, but it still stands that she was ghoing to be playable as an alt anyways.

i agree with skyblade

the problem with the Lance-switch idea people like to throw around is that Robin does weapon switching in the exact same way, and if we were to make Chrom more unique, he'd have to use the Lance more than the falchion. Besides a 1-2 side-b, if Chrom is to have weapon switching, he needs to have a "sidegrade" system instead of an "upgrade" system like Robin's.

with that mindset, the Falchion isn't dropped nor really outclassed, but it can simply be switched to a weapon more fit to your situation or playstyle (IMO that's a better representation of weapon switching in FE than what we have so far, which doesn't mean we got bad representation regarding that, btw).

Lance representation should really be relegated to Javelins (with spear and possibly hand axe custom moves). It's the one who also makes the most sense due to Chrom being previously mono-sword (of all lances, the 1-2 ones are the ones you are more likely to use due to the Levin sword sucking for chrom) and is generally what would be more unique gameplay-wise. Actually, since it's a projectile, it would add far more to chrom's game than what a melee lance would, most likely.
Great ideas!
Just as long as he gets in, I'm happy any way he plays

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Great ideas!
Just as long as he gets in, I'm happy any way he plays
thanks! the second post of page 113 has my little resumé of what Chrom could bring to the table, you might want to read it!
Page 103 has my rather long idea about Swithcing /swords which i referred to in the post on page 113, you could read it as well (it's a little bloow the mii pic on the middle of the page); though i expanded a bit upon it later, the base is there

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
It heavily impiles that she stays in the past. Also, how else would she be able to try to save Chrom from :4falcon:?
Maybe she stays in the past/present until the past/present Lucina is big enough to "Fight for her father".
By that time Chrom will be like 34 years old. At 34 he might be buffer and sluggish so he decides to wield an axe instead.

08skidoosh80

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tyler80
3DS FC
3136-6615-9131
Switch FC
SW-5074-0505-2141
thanks! the second post of page 113 has my little resumé of what Chrom could bring to the table, you might want to read it!
Page 103 has my rather long idea about Swithcing /swords which i referred to in the post on page 113, you could read it as well (it's a little bloow the mii pic on the middle of the page); though i expanded a bit upon it later, the base is there
Wow, awesome analysis!
Having Chrom be a Robin-type character(Bringing different weapons to the fray instead of magic) would be great in my opinion. It would make Robin the defensive character, while Chrom could be the attacker.
I also like your idea of summoning different partners to attack during battle. It would be a great way to show off the pair system featured in Awakening, and would make Chrom a very unique swordsman!(Considering we don't have any summoners unless you count Rosaluma and Zelda)
Either way, those are some really good ideas that I think Sakurai could easily implement into Chrom's moveset to make him truly unique!!

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Maybe she stays in the past/present until the past/present Lucina is big enough to "Fight for her father".
By that time Chrom will be like 34 years old. At 34 he might be buffer and sluggish so he decides to wield an axe instead.
I'm just going to go with that, but add in she's chilling with :4robinm: somewhere in Ylisse until :4falcon: attacks. Then, they leave Morgan with Chrom, and go to Smash.
Wow, awesome analysis!
Having Chrom be a Robin-type character(Bringing different weapons to the fray instead of magic) would be great in my opinion. It would make Robin the defensive character, while Chrom could be the attacker.
I also like your idea of summoning different partners to attack during battle. It would be a great way to show off the pair system featured in Awakening, and would make Chrom a very unique swordsman!(Considering we don't have any summoners unless you count Rosaluma and Zelda)
Either way, those are some really good ideas that I think Sakurai could easily implement into Chrom's moveset to make him truly unique!!
Can his Final Smash be Emmeryn?

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Honestly, the only thing I don't like about Chrom is the fanboys who bash :4lucina: and :4robinm: because he's not in Smash. I like Chrom. Not as much as :4robinm: or :4lucina:, but I still like him.

And the fact he doesn't react to :4robinm: banging :4lucina:, or Morgan being his granddaughter. I wanted to see his reaction. That will always disappoint me.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
And the fact he doesn't react to :4robinm: banging :4lucina:, or Morgan being his granddaughter. I wanted to see his reaction. That will always disappoint me.
We have a chance at seeing that reaction in SMTXFE. It's an ATLUS game. We're going to get some detailed character interactions, and some shipping.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
We have a chance at seeing that reaction in SMTXFE. It's an ATLUS game. We're going to get some detailed character interactions, and some shipping.
Excellent. Until then (whenever that is), I'll have to settle for fanfics. Also,
There are better places to take a nap than on the ground, you know. On top of my daughter is not one of them! -Chrom
I love :4lucina:x:4robinm:. Best ship ever.

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
I personally see more Chrom hate than anything, but I'm not going to sit here and act like I wasn't being a sore loser the week Lucina and Robin were revealed.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Off-topic, but I would have liked for Lucina to have been more different from Marth than she was, being different on a level par with Luigi or even Wolf.

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about Chrom is the fanboys who bash :4lucina: and :4robinm: because he's not in Smash. I like Chrom. Not as much as :4robinm: or :4lucina:, but I still like him.
This kind of "X over Y?! X is a waste of a character slot!" bashing tends to generally happen in crossovers and Smash Bros is no exception. Heck, Smash 4 alone has several examples of newcomers that had this treatment by their detractors:
:4pacman::4wiifit::4mii::rosalina::4greninja:

And for veterans, you need only look at :4tlink: and especially:4lucario: (see here)

Had Chrom been in, I can guarantee you that there would have been people who would have complained about him getting in "over" :4robinm::4lucina: and several other characters just like the other characters that got the same treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom