• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone use a wire xbox controller?

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Having trouble getting my wired xbox control to work. I'm using a Madcatz controller on windows 7, 64-bit, SP1. I don't know why but I can't seem to find the driver anywhere. Any my computer can't find it automatically either. =/ It worked before on my vista comp, but now It won't connect.

Anyone have a copy of the driver they could share? seems to be down on the microsoft and matcatz site.

kys

Smash Ace
I use Madcatz too and mine works fine. It doesn't light up, but the emulator recognizes it all the same. You shouldn't need to install any drivers. Mine had been screwing up for a little bit and I found out the connection was messed up; not the USB part but the one a few inches up from that. Try messing with that connection and see if it works.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
I use Madcatz too and mine works fine. It doesn't light up, but the emulator recognizes it all the same. You shouldn't need to install any drivers. Mine had been screwing up for a little bit and I found out the connection was messed up; not the USB part but the one a few inches up from that. Try messing with that connection and see if it works.
It connects to my computer making a strange double beep sound (i guess notifying that I have no driver installed) and the gamepad doesnt light up like it used to on my other comp. In PJ64KVE, the controller settings doesn't have my controller listed under options > configure controller plugin > devices > gamepad device. What controller plugin are you using? Would you be so kind to check under device manager on your computer to see if you have a driver installed for your gamepad?

kys

Smash Ace
It connects to my computer making a strange double beep sound (i guess notifying that I have no driver installed) and the gamepad doesnt light up like it used to on my other comp. In PJ64KVE, the controller settings doesn't have my controller listed under options > configure controller plugin > devices > gamepad device. What controller plugin are you using? Would you be so kind to check under device manager on your computer to see if you have a driver installed for your gamepad?
I have the same operating system you do. The controller may not light up (mine doesn't). I do have a driver installed, but it took literally 3 seconds. It's automatic. You do NOT need to go somewhere and download it.

I'm pretty sure the problem is the connection of your controller. Is the "double beep sound" a higher pitched "da duh" followed by a lower pitched "da duh"? The first one is the sound it makes when the controller connects. The second sound is the sound it makes when it disconnects. Your controller is simultaneously connecting and disconnecting.

Plug it in slowly and note where the USB is when the first sound occurs. Leave it there, and then mess with the other connection a few inches from it, LIKE I SAID BEFORE. The trick is to get it connected long enough to install the automatic driver.

I've had to this a number of times on every new Windows 7 my controller comes in contact with.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
I have the same operating system you do. The controller may not light up (mine doesn't). I do have a driver installed, but it took literally 3 seconds. It's automatic. You do NOT need to go somewhere and download it.

I'm pretty sure the problem is the connection of your controller. Is the "double beep sound" a higher pitched "da duh" followed by a lower pitched "da duh"? The first one is the sound it makes when the controller connects. The second sound is the sound it makes when it disconnects. Your controller is simultaneously connecting and disconnecting.

Plug it in slowly and note where the USB is when the first sound occurs. Leave it there, and then mess with the other connection a few inches from it, LIKE I SAID BEFORE. The trick is to get it connected long enough to install the automatic driver.

I've had to this a number of times on every new Windows 7 my controller comes in contact with.
When i connect my controller it is seen on my computer. I can go to device manager and look at the controller it just says i have no driver installed. The sound is a light, "duh, duh, duh" then when i disconnect it is does the "da duh" that you're talking about. I wish it was just the controller connection, but I'm 100% certain it's the driver. The controller is connected to my computer and it is being read. The problem is that there is no driver to control the button input from the controller and I cannot select it on the controller settings. When i plug it in it takes the time to search for driver, then keeps searching, then searches online, then comes back with no driver found and directs me to the microsoft and madcatz websites.

never the less, I have tried what you have said at least 30 times now and still nothing. Sorry, I know you're trying to help, and i am thankful, but I don't think thats the problem.

Would you mind sharing your driver information with me? I've browsed online for hours and cannot find the madcatz driver for windows, not on madcatz site nor microsoft site. I'm starting to think it might be discontinued or something.

According to the site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co...& Input Devices&sc=Game Controllers&os=64-bit , the controller is compatible.

When I try the softpedia link for the madcatz driver it comes up with a 404 not found error.
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/JO.../MadCatz-PC-Driver-for-Xbox-Controllers.shtml)

When i try the microsoft website I only get a list of hardware, no drivers available.
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows)

and the madcatz site doesn't have any drivers available either for my specific controller.

again, I appreciate the help! =)

kys

Smash Ace
My driver version is: 6.1.7600.16385

The date is 6/21/06

Microsoft, obviously.

I dunno man, I've been using Madcatz forever now because of how easy they are to use. I can literally just plug and play.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Go download this (under support) its for the official controller, but it might still work for third party contollers.
If that doesnt work find out where that exe extracts too and use device manager to manually point it to it.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Go download this (under support) its for the official controller, but it might still work for third party contollers.
If that doesnt work find out where that exe extracts too and use device manager to manually point it to it.
tried that one already and it wouldn't register the madcatz controller. It wouldn't let me select any exe files. I guess I'll try another controller to make sure that its definitely not the controller.

M!nt

Smash Champion
exe file? You should just select the folder that i just uploaded. Also Try the x64 folder in that folder.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
I located the extracted file, selected the x64 folder, included all subfolders etc, and still get an error saying:

"Windows could not find driver software for your device."

M!nt

Smash Champion
damn, i have no idea then. you can try uninstalling the controller and then scan for new hardware and try to install it again, but if that doesn't work then I don't know whats wrong.

Last edited:

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Try this:

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=16666

It has options for xbox360 and all that in the DS3 tool so just download the MotioninJoy DS3 tool and play around with it a little bit if necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2lUxNShIDs

I use it to make my ps3 controller listed as motioninjoy controller type and then use that on the PJ64 controller window.

Good luck.
does this software really work with xbox360 controllers?

i was under the assumption that it ONLY worked with PS3 controllers to emulate the xbox360 controllers for PC games/xinput

im going to test it RIGHT NOW cuz i happen to have wired official xbox360 and dualshock3 in my house at the moment

Sparlight

Smash Rookie
Got it.

Hey bro. I saw this post this morning (well, technically yesterday morning: August 17), and I was having the self-same problem.
I just bought myself a nice computer and used my Madcatz controller (model #4716) on it. It worked on my laptop, but not on this one. Seems as though Microsoft mysteriously got rid of the driver for it on their compatibility site. Madcatz just has an "idgaf" attitude and only hosts drivers that they didn't throw onto Microsoft's site in the first place.

While going around trying to find a driver for this (I've been working at it all day, mind you), I've had no success. I did, for instance, find XBCD, which is a controller emulator. It doesn't work really. Anyway, I did install that, and then I tried to uninstall it. It didn't uninstall all the way, but I managed to get it to stop attaching itself to my controller.

Without further ado, I will tell you how to fix your controller (provided you're having the same problem as me -- the lights on the controller flash for a moment then stay off)

1. Download the XBox 360 controller software from Microsoft here.
2. After installing that, plug in your USB controller. If it tries to automatically install the software, let it try, then close it out.
3. Open the start menu, and type in "devmgmt.msc" in the search box. Press enter. You're now in the rather familiar Device Management page!
4. Double click the MadCatz controller in the list. Go to the drivers tab. Click on Drivers in the menu.
5. Click Update Driver. Select you want to do it manually. Now, instead of browsing for some drivers for the software, select the option below (something to do with selecting from a list).
6. In the list, select Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class. Use this and click next. You will get a warning box saying it might do your system harm. Proceed anyway.
7. Your controller now should be lit up and should work properly.

Took me forever to figure this out. I decided I'd register on here and tell you what I found in case you're still following this thread.
Best of luck. Tell me if that solves your problem. <3

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Hey bro. I saw this post this morning (well, technically yesterday morning: August 17), and I was having the self-same problem.
I just bought myself a nice computer and used my Madcatz controller (model #4716) on it. It worked on my laptop, but not on this one. Seems as though Microsoft mysteriously got rid of the driver for it on their compatibility site. Madcatz just has an "idgaf" attitude and only hosts drivers that they didn't throw onto Microsoft's site in the first place.

While going around trying to find a driver for this (I've been working at it all day, mind you), I've had no success. I did, for instance, find XBCD, which is a controller emulator. It doesn't work really. Anyway, I did install that, and then I tried to uninstall it. It didn't uninstall all the way, but I managed to get it to stop attaching itself to my controller.

Without further ado, I will tell you how to fix your controller (provided you're having the same problem as me -- the lights on the controller flash for a moment then stay off)

1. Download the XBox 360 controller software from Microsoft here.
2. After installing that, plug in your USB controller. If it tries to automatically install the software, let it try, then close it out.
3. Open the start menu, and type in "devmgmt.msc" in the search box. Press enter. You're now in the rather familiar Device Management page!
4. Double click the MadCatz controller in the list. Go to the drivers tab. Click on Drivers in the menu.
5. Click Update Driver. Select you want to do it manually. Now, instead of browsing for some drivers for the software, select the option below (something to do with selecting from a list).
6. In the list, select Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class. Use this and click next. You will get a warning box saying it might do your system harm. Proceed anyway.
7. Your controller now should be lit up and should work properly.

Took me forever to figure this out. I decided I'd register on here and tell you what I found in case you're still following this thread.

Dude your awesome. Thank you so much! now i can return the other 50$ controller I bought =P

XKCP

Smash Journeyman
does this software really work with xbox360 controllers?

i was under the assumption that it ONLY worked with PS3 controllers to emulate the xbox360 controllers for PC games/xinput

im going to test it RIGHT NOW cuz i happen to have wired official xbox360 and dualshock3 in my house at the moment
It may not. I figured that anything that could be recognized by the computer might qualify due to other information, but it could be a ps3 only thing.

Herr Terror

Smash Rookie
Got it.
Dude, you need some sort of internet award for this. UE engine 3 games pretty much require XBox360 controllers, and it's a massive pain in the a** for anyone who tried to save $30 and buy a USB controller lookalike that Windows/the game refused to recognize as a controller.

It doesn't take much work to get them working but come on, this isn't 1993. There's no excuse for this level of headache over it. Nonetheless, THANK YOU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom