• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any help i can give my friend on teaming with IC's?

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
I have been maining IC's for about 6 months now and want to start doing doubles more problem is none of my training partners or friends would want to team with me because of my character. Any advice i can give them on teaming with the climbers?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
They have to let ICs control the ground, thats the biggest part that people fail to grasp.
If ICs control the ground, they are solid in doubles.

You can successfully team with all the high tiers, except marth. **** that ****.
Peach can be tricky and puts a lot of pressure on the peach player.
If she's lazy and careless with her move placement, she'll **** ICs over pretty hard.

As far as strategy goes, the goal is to seperate the opponents.
From there, ICs either focus on an opponent while your partner walls, or they wall while their partner goes in.

You also need to have a solid sopo, who is still really good in doubles.
But doubles is chaotic, so nana will get split up easily or just die. But sopo is great in doubles, so you've got that going for you.

HowieSSB

Smash Rookie
Alright, I love playing the IC's in teams. So i'll try to drop as much knowledge as I can.
I have been playing for a year, and I am very active.
People who have teamed with me have been positively surprised by IC in teams.

I am from Norway, so bear with me on the grammar.

Here it goes:

Positioning:
Your job is to maintain stage control. You will stay below all platforms, and hold the center stage. This will force the fight to take place on the platforms or near the ledge.

If the fight takes place on platforms, you can easily jump in with aerials. U-air for combo potensial, N-air to interrupt, B-air to finish, F-air to create tech chase opportunities. Remember to hold center stage. If you decend on you, intercept with SH U-air, U-tilt or U-smash. Or shield grab.

If the fight takes place near the ledge, you are very much in control. Keep holding center stage, but wavesmash in on the enemies. Landing a F-smash or D-smash will create an edgeguard opportunity for your teammate. But be very careful not to smash your teammate, this is where it gets devestating to team with the IC's.
Now, while your teammate goes for the edgeguard, you immediately have to occupy the other enemy. This is so your teammate doesn't get edgeguarded. Try to keep off the ledge yourself, this is to protect Nana.

Do not get your opponents below you, this is not a good position for IC. Especially not against two opponents.

A lot of this info is from King Funk (Fox), who teamed a lot with Tomber (IC). He views them as glass canons who holds the stage and racks damage with wavesmashes.

Saving your teammate:
IC's don't have many saves, as it is hard for them to get back on stage after saving your teammate. The only way I save is with ice blocks, your teammate should save his jump when he gets launched. Then he can airdodge into your ice block (which always moves at a 45 degree angle), if he hits one he still has his jump and up-B.

Wobbling in teams:
Wobbling in teams sounds like a stupid idea at first, but it is a great strategy. When you get a grab, start wobbling.
Either your opponent will stand there and take it, or he will yell for help. Now his teammate will usually tunnel vision on interrupting the wobble. This is where your teammate walls him out, and you keep wobbling. If your teammate fails to wall, you can smash out of the wobble in the direction your opponent is approaching from. This results in you smashing them both.

Edgeguarding:
If you are both edgeguarding, you can pretty much cover every option. Your teammate should grab the ledge, you should place one climber on the ground and one on the sideplatform. Now you can easily smash them while standing still, if they decide to recover on stage (which they have to).

Recovering:
Be very careful using anything else than side-B and airdodge. Side-B is easily boosted/reset by projectiles. Get proficient at DI'ing the side-B to mix up your recovery. If you are holding the ledge and looking for an opportunity to get back on stage, try to stall with U-airs and regrab the ledge.

This is what I can contribute with so far, and i'm no expert. So I hope more people can elaborate. It's also hard to find games on youtube with Ice Climbers in doubles. If someone finds any, please post them!:)

I can contribute with 3 games iv'e played myself, all the opponents are top 15 in Norway except from Brolaf. My teammate these games is Mike Haggar from Sweden, we had never teamed before. I am not proud of these games, and you can probably learn more about what not to do than what you should do. I am way better in theory at this game. But see if there is anything you can pick up!:)

VS Thomas (Puff) & Vdogg (Fox). Winner semis.
Youtube: watch?v=PA5XkGvrL5w
These two are the two top players of Norway, and they got third place at Beast 4 in doubles. Here we learn that IC are horrible at the battlefield ledge. And rest can't be punished by up-smash...ehem.

VS Gardex (Peach) & Brolaf (Sheik). Loser quarters.
Youtube: watch?v=qc-Yb33X0Zs
IC vs Peach on FD is never a good idea, don't strike to FD...

VS Askeflink (Falco) and Widl (Peach). Loser semis.
Youtube: watch?v=JpWy7Y9mcnc
Tell your teammate to back away when you wobble...Don't be a swaggar...

Feel free to ask questions. Best of luck!

- Howie

Sorry, I don't have enough posts to give you links. Maybe an admin can clean this up.

Top Bottom