• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS [ Updated Daily + Partial Fix] An error has occurred, forcing the software to close.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
LAST UPDATE: OCTOBER 7th at 23:50PM GTM/CET +1

This thread hopes to serve both as an "investigation platform" and reference/update log to inform and support the users affected by this error. I will try to keep this first post updated twice every day
THE PROBLEM:

The game crashes either on start-up or during gameplay and offers the following error message:
An error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The system will now restart.

While most affected users are e-shop/digital users, cartridge users may experience it as well.

Update: The crash seems to happen the most when:

-Fighting an unlockable character.
-Fighting 3 or more enemies at once.
-Participating in a special event/having a random trophy appear.

WHAT CAUSES THE PROBLEM?

1) It is known (thanks to black57mage) that downloading and installing the UPDATE 1.0.2 from the e-shop (in order to be able to play online) causes the problem for about 90% of the affected digital users.

However, the majority of cartridge users and about a 10% of digital e-shop users still suffer the error, either occasionally or all the time, despite not installing UPDATE 1.0.2, which hints to the fact that the error can be born from different sources.

2) The majority, if not all of affected users seem to be using a Nintendo 3DSXL

I will update this section as we discover new causes.

SOLUTIONS/FIXES:

1)For those that suffer the crash because of update 1.0.2:

-Step 1) Format your SDHC card, if you do not know how, follow this guide from the official Nintendo support site.
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/220/~/how-to-format-an-sd-card

-Step 2) Re-download Super Smash Bros but DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE 1.0.2.

This should solve the problem and should allow you to play the game naturally but it will prevent you from playing Online ´til Nintendo provides us with an official Fix.

2) For those that do not suffer the error because of the patch:

Some users have reported being able to play crash-less when turning power save mode on and lowering brightness to 1, as for some, the crash seems power related.

If all else fails, try doing this.

Last edited:

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Update-I have attempted to:

-Re-download it ( 3 times)
-Repair the software ( 1 time)
-Format another SD card with the tool provided by nintendo and install it on that card.

The error does not seem to go away no matter what i do.
The game works just fine so long as i stick to Smash / Multiplayer Online, but it crashes after a couple fights in All Stars or Classic.

The Nintendo Support team do not know what to tell me and have no clue on why that happens.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I remember some people who got the demo having this problem so maybe there is a solution out there.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
After playing for a few hours i can confirm that i can play pretty much every single mode including Smash Run, except for All-Stars and Classic mode, which always crash after a couple of fights, usually as soon as a 4 man battle begins.

I contacted support (European, since it´s open) and they said they highly doubt its a hardware related issue since the problem seems to happen only in Smash and only in that one specific mode, so at this point i guess all i can do is wait and pray?

Smashingveteran

Smash Rookie
So it's on your SD card right? My only assumption could be with lower quality SD cards or if you have a small 4GB SD card that's almost full. Is there a tiny single-digit number somewhere on the front of your SD card?

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
So it's on your SD card right? My only assumption could be with lower quality SD cards or if you have a small 4GB SD card that's almost full. Is there a tiny single-digit number somewhere on the front of your SD card?
Right now i am using a Class 4 KINGSTON 16GB card with 10gb of space left.
I also attempted to install it in a newly formatted Class 4 TOSHIBA 4gb (the one that came with the XL) to no avail.

Last edited:

Smashingveteran

Smash Rookie
I could totally see a Class 4 SD card not being efficient enough but if that's what came with the XL it probably is. That's so bizarre :s

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That is weird. I have a digital copy and I have been playing for hours, but not errors so far.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
What confuses me the most, is why would only those two modes be affected.

I can be playing online with the action going crazy and the game/console work smooth as silk and same goes for any sportpass mode, multiplayer, smash fights, smash runs and what not.

But as soon as i try to play Classic Mode or All Stars la résistance happens.

I am not super-tech savy, but one would assume that if the game/console did not work properly, it would present problems and errors in other games or even in other game modes of the same game.

I am a confuzzled Saga D:

Last edited:

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I unlocked all the characters tonight with a digital copy in Classic mode only. I never had any errors or freezes.

I'm using the default 2gb card that the vanilla 3DS comes with.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I have been actively attempting to reproduce the same error by testing every mode and type of gameplay on:

-Pokémon x
-Fire Emblem: Awakening
-Animal Crossing: New Leaf
-Conception 2
-Rune Factory 4
-Super Mario 3D World (3DS Cartridge)
-Rune Factory 3 ( DS cardtridge)
-Kid Icarus: Uprising

And i have been unable ( I guess it´s a good thing ) to reproduce that or any other error.

Last edited:

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Okay, this is getting weird.

I was playing a few Smash matches, since that mode did not crash before and suddenly Ness appeared to challenge me, so i proceeded to do battle with him.

The second i beaten him and "unlocked" him the game suffered the very same error and kicked me out.
When i went back, it had resetted me to before i started Smashing.

Urgh...

Last edited:

venb0y

Smash Rookie
I have the same problem, but in such a way that I don't even get to start the game. It always crashes when I press Open in the HOME-Menu. However I have a retail version, so it's probably not download version only.
If you finde a solution for your problem, it would be cool if you'd let me know. :)

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I got myself a Class 10 16gb SDHC that i will use exclusively for Super Smash Bros.
I will let you guys know how it fared.

Last edited:

Thegunslinger

Smash Rookie
I got the retail copy and I keep geting error codes for trying to play online and I can't get it to wrk I can watch other people but can't play

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Okay so.....i got the class 10 card and i managed to successfully finish a classic mode run and even pass the credits, as i was already jumping of joy ( not literally ) and everything seemed alright, Falco appeared as a challenger, and the second the battle started.........it all happened again.....
An error has occurred, forcing the software to close.
Update: And now it´s crashing as fast and as often was it was doing previously : /

I cannot even complete the classic mode anymore like i did the first time....

Update 2: Apparently i can unlock stuff and beat most stages if i basically keep spamming pause and just de-pausing enough time to strike a hit or two, then pause again.

Managed to kill Falco and unlock (Since he was set to appear on the following victory) by basically doing this, i tried to do the same with ness but ness seems to instantly crash the second i de-pause, making this impossible.

Last edited:

laciel

Smash Rookie
GRAHHHHH this is so upsetting, i've spent the better of this morning trying to figure out what's wrong with my smash brothers, but what you're describing seems to be exactly what i've been going through, crashes in the same exact areas, I've tried two SD cards (the latter being a class 10 16GB, dont know what the other one was since the label came off somehow) with no luck, I will try out the "solutions" you suggested but this was just really irritating last night, I got this at launch to play with a friend and his was running just fine (also bought from the eShop) but I was just running left and right into problems, I was at least able to score in a decent amount of matches in group smash mode

ugh I really don't want to have to send my 3DS into Nintendo, that would be super ****ty, just to get this game working properly

anyhow please let me know if you figure out anything, I'll also be trying stuff too, BTW I have a blue 3DS XL, not sure if this issue is exclusive maybe to certain 3DS models, I'm not sure

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I have a Black 3DS XL model.

What´s worse is, i cannot even send my 3DS to Nintendo because i am currently living in Europe.
If the problem ends up being the console, i am royally and permanently screwed.

At least online works and my mains are unlocked by default...so i guess there´s that......

But as i mentioned earlier, it´s weird because every single other game seems to work, but then again, the same issue happens with every other user that has had this problem with other games, with all their games working except the one game that gives them this error.

Googling the error gives dozens of results with people having the same issue with ONE game.

Last edited:

laciel

Smash Rookie
yeah, that's what i've found to be the case, honestly the strangest thing, is it possible to start fresh with a new SD Card? because i was just transferring the same data to the new SD card from the old one, idk maybe that might help? this is just so frustrating lmao, and there's no error code of any kind to help nintendo debug this, it's just this completely ambiguous problem and it sucks graggghh

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
yeah, that's what i've found to be the case, honestly the strangest thing, is it possible to start fresh with a new SD Card? because i was just transferring the same data to the new SD card from the old one, idk maybe that might help? this is just so frustrating lmao, and there's no error code of any kind to help nintendo debug this, it's just this completely ambiguous problem and it sucks graggghh
I have formatted TWO different cards and bought a brand new class 10 card just for smash.
None worked and they all ended up crashing just the same.

The only one that seemed to work at first was my brand new class 10 card, but as soon as i finished the Classic run and falco appeared, the game crashed, and since then, it crashes as inmediatly and as often as it does with the other cards.

laciel

Smash Rookie
so you redownloaded the game from the eshop with a blank SD card inserted? damn :\

also that's what happened to me basically, everything was fine up until falco now it's crap

Last edited:

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
so you redownloaded the game from the eshop with a blank SD card inserted? damn :\

also that's what happened to me basically, everything was fine up until falco now it's crap
I can almost hear him say "oooh, i have been invited to smash, HOW SWELL" as he crashes my game all smugly <.<

laciel

Smash Rookie
haha yeah the nerve of that stupid falco :v, anyhow i'm out of ideas what to do :\ maybe i'll try to find someone close by with a cartridge version of the game and report back

Last edited:

laciel

Smash Rookie
your pausing method seems to work decently well by the way! was finally able to complete classic mode for the first time in ages :p

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Wow, I feel really bad for you guys...

I guess that's a plus for getting a physical copy, then.

venb0y

Smash Rookie
Wow, I feel really bad for you guys...

I guess that's a plus for getting a physical copy, then.
obviously not - as I mentioned, I'm having this problem with the physical copy. I can't even start the game properly.

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I can confirm that the "solution" (more like crappy band-aid) that i offered about spamming pause and fighting by basically just hitting the enemy once between every pause seems to work, and has allowed me to unlock Falco and Ness already.

It also allows you to beat the classic stages without crashing so long as you keep spamming pause.

It takes 20 times more time, it takes away the fun from the fights, but i guess for now it will have to do till a solution is found...

This makes every time less sense to me.

Last edited:

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
I went ahead and redownloaded/repaired the update from the eshop. That fixed it for me,

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Wi-Fi won't even connect me to play. I've tried EVERYTHING, and the only thing that connects me to the internet is my ****ing phone because the Wi-Fi here on my campus is TERRIBLE

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
Update: As my last hope, i have performed a Factory Reset, which includes losing all my save-files for every game i have ever played since i have my 3DS and it has not worked, the error yet persists.

Cant express how much this sucks...

Last edited:

Skylit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skylit
Update: As my last hope, i have performed a Factory Reset, which includes losing all my save-files for every game i have ever played since i have my 3DS and it has not worked, the error yet persists.

Ouch, really you didn't have to do that, the solution to this is probably a week or two away... You should have waited a bit longer before deleting all ur hard earned hours into ur games :|

laciel

Smash Rookie

man, that's totally awful :C i'm really sorry that it still didnt fix it :\ i'm still having the issue myself but i've been able to keep myself happy with the online mode which has only frozen two times (more than i'd like it to happen of course but oh well haha)

seriously such an awful bug/glitch/whatever the heck it is, i hope something can be done to remedy it

i haven't gotten my hands on a cartridge yet but hopefully soon

Last edited:
Top Bottom